Anyone else feel they arn't as good at games these days?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10 2019 4:36pm
by Funkymonk
I'm asking this because I've been playing Sonic Mania recently and f*ck me I'm finding it hard! I'm losing lives in literally every zone (and to my shame even died in the Green Hill Zone :blush:) and don't get me started on those tedious special zones! The thing is back in the day I could wizz through a Sonic game without even breaking sweat and with lots of lives/continues left at the end.
I'm guessing most people here have been playing games as long as me so does anyone else feel they we're better at games when they were younger? Also for those who have played Mania do you think this is more difficult then the old Sonic games or is it just me? It does seem to me that ther's a lot more insta death traps in this one (things falling on your head, exploding without warning ect).

Re: Anyone else feel they arn't as good at games these days?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10 2019 8:21pm
by Rune
Yes and no. I find my decision making skills and strategy are much better, but my reflexes are way worse.

Also when I come home exhausted from work, I can't do a lot of action games because I forget which button is jump and which is shoot.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11 2019 6:31am
by TheUnknownMarine
Rune wrote:Yes and no. I find my decision making skills and strategy are much better, but my reflexes are way worse.

Also when I come home exhausted from work, I can't do a lot of action games because I forget which button is jump and which is shoot.

Yea, behold unto the rare occurence that is TUM and Rune agreeing on something, for as thou age, thou reflexes turn as to shit, but thou brain is able to handle more complex planning.

It is absolutely infuriating to find how much worse I am at shooting things over the internet now as to ten years ago, though.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11 2019 8:49pm
by Funkymonk
TheUnknownMarine wrote:
Rune wrote:Yes and no. I find my decision making skills and strategy are much better, but my reflexes are way worse.

Yea, behold unto the rare occurence that is TUM and Rune agreeing on something, for as thou age, thou reflexes turn as to shit, but thou brain is able to handle more complex planning.

It is absolutely infuriating to find how much worse I am at shooting things over the internet now as to ten years ago, though.

Good point lads, older games generally require better reflexes too so maybe it's natural that I'm going to find a old school game like Sonic Mania harder then when I was a young lad. It doesn't make it any less infuriating though!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11 2019 9:44pm
by MXC
Older games do require better reflexes but that comes from just playing them a lot. When I played Sonic, for example, I did it for stretches at a time (multiple hours over multiple weeks) when I was a kid. So I got decent because I kept playing it. I don't typically do that now anymore because I don't have the time.

I honestly think my reflexes are the same but it just feels worse because I don't sit down with games as long as I used to when I was younger.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11 2019 10:35pm
by Corsair
We're all dying slowly and the decreased cognitive processing speed is just evidence of this ^_^

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12 2019 1:14pm
by Rune
Enough screwing around with old age, it's time to get down to business and start dying quickly.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12 2019 8:38pm
by Funkymonk
Well this thread got depressing quickly! ;P

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23 2019 6:56am
by Alpha
I used to be able to ace the Sonic 3/Knuckles/Mania sphere bonus levels. Now I'm moderate at best at them.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23 2019 8:10pm
by Funkymonk
Alpha wrote:I used to be able to ace the Sonic 3/Knuckles/Mania sphere bonus levels. Now I'm moderate at best at them.

They're by far the most tedious and frustrating of the original bonus levels - literally 1 little error of judgement and you fail. I don't know why they made them the main bonus level in Mania.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25 2019 4:20am
by thepeaguy
My gaming skills haven't been affected much. I think it's more to do with my giving less of a shit to excel at them as I get older.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25 2019 3:40pm
by Stordarth
I don't think I've worsened all that much. Using Sonic Mania as an example also, I too found it kicked my ass a bit initially, and thought it was my reflexes turning to shit.

But I still remember my first times playing all the mega drive sonics, and they kicked my ass too at first. Sonic is more a game reliant on improvement from repetition and memorisation, and even now, I've played mania far less than the other entries, which translates to being less proficient.

I think Mania kinda tricks you by feeling familiar enough that you feel that you should be proficient at it, while being different enough that it easily catches you out because you become complacent in that false familiarity

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27 2019 8:02pm
by Funkymonk
This is true, modern games hold your hand a lot more compared to retro games where you have to work things out yourself a lot more. Some of the bosses in Mania are a good example; There are certain bosses where you're almost certain to lose some lives (unless you get lucky) until you work out what you're supposed to be doing. To me in 2019 things like this just feels like bad design and is grossly frustrating but perhaps this has always been the way with older games.

PostPosted: Fri May 31 2019 6:00pm
by Alexander_13
like movies there are not good ideas

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01 2019 6:09am
by sulfuroxp
I ever hate to play first-person shooters, I simple can't play that games
I prefer rpg, platforms, race games

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05 2019 6:36pm
by Darksol
It totally depends on the genre. I'm way better than I used to be at turn-based games. Shining Force, X-Com, Civilization, etc...

But I'm not sure I could post a positive K/D ratio in a Call of Duty game now if my life depended on it. I haven't even played one in damn near a decade at this point.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07 2019 6:29pm
by Funkymonk
Same here, I'm definitely better at slower paced games and games that require thought and strategy but anything that requires reflexes I'm worse for sure.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23 2019 4:11am
by the tall guy
Minus a few, yeah, I certainly am.

I can still KO Tyson in Punchout, but running through Double Dragon or something similar just isn't happening anymore.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24 2019 7:26pm
by Funkymonk
the tall guy wrote:Minus a few, yeah, I certainly am.

I can still KO Tyson in Punchout, but running through Double Dragon or something similar just isn't happening anymore.

Yeah, for some reason I can't seem to do Scrolling Beat Em Ups any more. Most of them weren't even known for being that challenging back in the day either. I played Streets of Rage 2 recently and got my ass kicked. I was certain I used to complete it with ease as a kid, it was almost like playing a different game.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25 2019 1:24am
by Dark Maiden
It's more like I find that games aren't as good these days.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24 2019 2:18am
by Kayin
For strategy / mechanic games, I'm still doing great. For shooters like Siege, holy fck me. I had to switch off the ACOG Scope recently because of my piss poor reflexes.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26 2019 9:50pm
by RetroZanon
A bit of everything in my case.

Age does have an effect in reflexes, but there's also an element of muscle memory to it, at least for me. Plus people's preferences change with time too - I used to like shooters, fighters... you know, those "more action packed" games. Nowadays, Turn-based RPGs, Stardew Valley, Wargroove and a few platformers are pretty much what I play.

Examples of the muscle memory thing in my case could be games like FIFA - I can still play the really old games very well, but the new games I feel like I am really bad at them. Maybe the new combinations, maybe the new physics, maybe just newer players don't have to cope with the old habbits I picked up from the previous iterations. And even Sonic Mania. I can turn Sonic Jam / Sonic 1/2/3/&K and I breeze through them so easily, I even know the locations for all special stages in S3&K. Sonic Mania? I fare very well with it but admittedly, I am not nearly as good as I am with the older titles. That might be due to the "old habbits" thing. Shooters as well. I used to be really good at Counter Strike (2001) in Lans and even online. Then Global Offensive happened I have no idea what I am doing anymore.

I also share a bit of the idea that some of the new games are made needlessly complex, just for the sake of having specific features / complexity that otherwise add nothing to them. But then again, they appeal to the masses they're made to appeal, and that's fine.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31 2019 2:31pm
by Funkymonk
RetroZanon wrote:A bit of everything in my case.

Age does have an effect in reflexes, but there's also an element of muscle memory to it, at least for me. Plus people's preferences change with time too - I used to like shooters, fighters... you know, those "more action packed" games. Nowadays, Turn-based RPGs, Stardew Valley, Wargroove and a few platformers are pretty much what I play.

Examples of the muscle memory thing in my case could be games like FIFA - I can still play the really old games very well, but the new games I feel like I am really bad at them. Maybe the new combinations, maybe the new physics, maybe just newer players don't have to cope with the old habbits I picked up from the previous iterations. And even Sonic Mania. I can turn Sonic Jam / Sonic 1/2/3/&K and I breeze through them so easily, I even know the locations for all special stages in S3&K. Sonic Mania? I fare very well with it but admittedly, I am not nearly as good as I am with the older titles. That might be due to the "old habbits" thing. Shooters as well. I used to be really good at Counter Strike (2001) in Lans and even online. Then Global Offensive happened I have no idea what I am doing anymore.

I also share a bit of the idea that some of the new games are made needlessly complex, just for the sake of having specific features / complexity that otherwise add nothing to them. But then again, they appeal to the masses they're made to appeal, and that's fine.

I still can't work out if Mania genuinely is harder then the old Sonic games or if it's just my middle age reflexes. I think with FIFA the modern games are definitely more complicated with more moves, skills and gameplay nuances to learn. The very early FIFA games had more of a "pick up and play" quality to them and were easier too.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01 2019 10:52am
by RetroZanon
Funkymonk wrote:
I still can't work out if Mania genuinely is harder then the old Sonic games or if it's just my middle age reflexes. I think with FIFA the modern games are definitely more complicated with more moves, skills and gameplay nuances to learn. The very early FIFA games had more of a "pick up and play" quality to them and were easier too.

I think in Sonic's case it's probably the aging reflexes and the fact the game doesn't exactly behave like Sonic 3 (for example) did. Although it is a very subtle thing imo.

As for FIFA yes, back then before the PS3/XB360 gen, FIFAs had a bit more of an "Enjoy the game" quality to it than they had afterwards. Especially nowadays, where even the community is potentially one of the most toxic communities I've ever been a part of, by far. The game itself isn't enjoyable - not even in Single Player modes - so that says a lot about how things have become; it, sometimes, isn't only aging as much as "trends" influence video-games nowadays.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05 2019 5:30am
by Alexander_13
no new ideas

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18 2019 4:27pm
by jakester
I tried playing Bug! the other day for nostalgia's sake and I honestly don't know how I managed it back in the day. It's so bloody hard to judge distances walking into the screen towards enemies. I thought my tolerance threshold would increase with age but I almost elbow dropped the Saturn with rage. :(