Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Off-Topic Forums General Chatter
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Anyone else feel they arn't as good at games these days?

Want to talk about something other than Shining Force? Go ahead!

Re: Anyone else feel they arn't as good at games these days?

Postby Kayin » Sat Aug 24 2019 2:18am

For strategy / mechanic games, I'm still doing great. For shooters like Siege, holy fck me. I had to switch off the ACOG Scope recently because of my piss poor reflexes.
Lost Soul wrote:Darn, I was hoping I could be SFC's pretty boy.... Stupid sexy kayin.....

shinsachiel wrote:I remember those testicles fondly.

-----
PSN ID: operativeXIII
3DS Tag: 0791-1488-8166
Lost Soul wrote:Darn, I was hoping I could be SFC's pretty boy.... Stupid sexy kayin.....

shinsachiel wrote:I remember those testicles fondly.

-----
PSN ID: operativeXIII
3DS Tag: 0791-1488-8166
Kayin

Sparkly Legend
Shining Legend

Postby RetroZanon » Mon Aug 26 2019 9:50pm

A bit of everything in my case.

Age does have an effect in reflexes, but there's also an element of muscle memory to it, at least for me. Plus people's preferences change with time too - I used to like shooters, fighters... you know, those "more action packed" games. Nowadays, Turn-based RPGs, Stardew Valley, Wargroove and a few platformers are pretty much what I play.

Examples of the muscle memory thing in my case could be games like FIFA - I can still play the really old games very well, but the new games I feel like I am really bad at them. Maybe the new combinations, maybe the new physics, maybe just newer players don't have to cope with the old habbits I picked up from the previous iterations. And even Sonic Mania. I can turn Sonic Jam / Sonic 1/2/3/&K and I breeze through them so easily, I even know the locations for all special stages in S3&K. Sonic Mania? I fare very well with it but admittedly, I am not nearly as good as I am with the older titles. That might be due to the "old habbits" thing. Shooters as well. I used to be really good at Counter Strike (2001) in Lans and even online. Then Global Offensive happened I have no idea what I am doing anymore.

I also share a bit of the idea that some of the new games are made needlessly complex, just for the sake of having specific features / complexity that otherwise add nothing to them. But then again, they appeal to the masses they're made to appeal, and that's fine.
My Youtube Channel :thumbsup: Only have a full Shining Force 3 playthrough, several Dragon Force playthroughs and Speedruns. More to come.
My Youtube Channel :thumbsup: Only have a full Shining Force 3 playthrough, several Dragon Force playthroughs and Speedruns. More to come.
RetroZanon

Postby Funkymonk » Sat Aug 31 2019 2:31pm

RetroZanon wrote:A bit of everything in my case.

Age does have an effect in reflexes, but there's also an element of muscle memory to it, at least for me. Plus people's preferences change with time too - I used to like shooters, fighters... you know, those "more action packed" games. Nowadays, Turn-based RPGs, Stardew Valley, Wargroove and a few platformers are pretty much what I play.

Examples of the muscle memory thing in my case could be games like FIFA - I can still play the really old games very well, but the new games I feel like I am really bad at them. Maybe the new combinations, maybe the new physics, maybe just newer players don't have to cope with the old habbits I picked up from the previous iterations. And even Sonic Mania. I can turn Sonic Jam / Sonic 1/2/3/&K and I breeze through them so easily, I even know the locations for all special stages in S3&K. Sonic Mania? I fare very well with it but admittedly, I am not nearly as good as I am with the older titles. That might be due to the "old habbits" thing. Shooters as well. I used to be really good at Counter Strike (2001) in Lans and even online. Then Global Offensive happened I have no idea what I am doing anymore.

I also share a bit of the idea that some of the new games are made needlessly complex, just for the sake of having specific features / complexity that otherwise add nothing to them. But then again, they appeal to the masses they're made to appeal, and that's fine.

I still can't work out if Mania genuinely is harder then the old Sonic games or if it's just my middle age reflexes. I think with FIFA the modern games are definitely more complicated with more moves, skills and gameplay nuances to learn. The very early FIFA games had more of a "pick up and play" quality to them and were easier too.
Judge others not by their actions but why they do it.
Judge yourself by your actions not why you do it.
Judge others not by their actions but why they do it.
Judge yourself by your actions not why you do it.
Funkymonk

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby RetroZanon » Sun Sep 01 2019 10:52am

Funkymonk wrote:
I still can't work out if Mania genuinely is harder then the old Sonic games or if it's just my middle age reflexes. I think with FIFA the modern games are definitely more complicated with more moves, skills and gameplay nuances to learn. The very early FIFA games had more of a "pick up and play" quality to them and were easier too.

I think in Sonic's case it's probably the aging reflexes and the fact the game doesn't exactly behave like Sonic 3 (for example) did. Although it is a very subtle thing imo.

As for FIFA yes, back then before the PS3/XB360 gen, FIFAs had a bit more of an "Enjoy the game" quality to it than they had afterwards. Especially nowadays, where even the community is potentially one of the most toxic communities I've ever been a part of, by far. The game itself isn't enjoyable - not even in Single Player modes - so that says a lot about how things have become; it, sometimes, isn't only aging as much as "trends" influence video-games nowadays.
RetroZanon

Postby Alexander_13 » Thu Sep 05 2019 5:30am

no new ideas
Alexander_13

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby jakester » Wed Sep 18 2019 4:27pm

I tried playing Bug! the other day for nostalgia's sake and I honestly don't know how I managed it back in the day. It's so bloody hard to judge distances walking into the screen towards enemies. I thought my tolerance threshold would increase with age but I almost elbow dropped the Saturn with rage. :(
-ELDAR APPRECIATION SOCIETY-

Lord of the Law - Finally qualified!!! 1998-2007
-ELDAR APPRECIATION SOCIETY-

Lord of the Law - Finally qualified!!! 1998-2007
jakester

Judge Jake
Shining Member

Previous

Return to General Chatter