Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Off-Topic Forums General Chatter
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

What are you Reading?

The Revenge...

Want to talk about something other than Shining Force? Go ahead!

What are you Reading?

Postby Chaos Wizard » Tue Apr 25 2017 9:57am

I diversify.
Chaos Wizard

Contemno Repletus
Shining Legend

Re: What are you Reading?

Postby Rohan » Tue Apr 25 2017 11:02pm

Nice. I only read one book at a time, on the train to and from work, but I'm about 10 pages from the end of:

WARNING: SPOILER!
Rohan

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby ZethaPonderer » Wed Apr 26 2017 8:41am

Been reading these three books meticulously to further my theological understanding. Enjoyed reading one of the Four Gospels (Matthew that is) of Prophet Isa/Yehshua/Jesus (AS) in the NT.

I've yet to read a good book if you ask me. Plus, I'm curious if anybody has this book?

Somebody wrote a book that basically talks about nothing (0) :lol:
ZethaPonderer

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Cyric » Wed Apr 26 2017 12:32pm

The novels from the Hellgate: London trilogy penned by Mel Odom. I finished the first one and started the second one last night. So far, they're not horrible.
Founder of SFC's Kids Club - Proudly Brainwashing children since 2004.

Author of The Ballad of Vankar

Initial Owner - Thief Trophy SFCRPGv2

Felix qui potest rerum cognoscere causas...
Founder of SFC's Kids Club - Proudly Brainwashing children since 2004.

Author of The Ballad of Vankar

Initial Owner - Thief Trophy SFCRPGv2

Felix qui potest rerum cognoscere causas...
Cyric

Tyrannosaurus Sex
Shining Legend

Postby Chaos Wizard » Wed Apr 26 2017 9:05pm

Not terrible is preferable to shitty.

Rohan: Graham McNeil is awesome. His Ultramarines series is pretty on point, and I picked up his Arkham Horror trilogy on Kindle.
Chaos Wizard

Contemno Repletus
Shining Legend

Postby Rohan » Fri Apr 28 2017 10:31pm

Yep, I've enjoyed his books! Particularly Fulgrim and A Thousand Sons. I may check out his Arkham Horror series, though I think I want to read some of Lovecraft's work before I do.

I'm now reading book 15, Prospero Burns, and while it's taken a bit of time to pick up, I'm starting to get into it. I jumped about a bit, reading different books in the series (I read 1-6, and then went from book 6 to its sequel, book 11, then book 12 - A Thousand Sons - and now its 'sequel', book 15), but after this one, I'm going to go back to the published order, starting up with book 7, since it's getting too complicated to figure out which one I should read next based on this reading guide:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... e_tree.jpg
Rohan

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Chaos Wizard » Sat Apr 29 2017 1:19pm

Oh dude!

Might I suggest some of my personal favorites?

The Tree
The Crawling Chaos
At the Mountains of Madness
The Other Gods (A Nice Introduction to Lovecraft's Dream Cycle)
The Dreams in the Witch House
Nyarlethotep

Lots of The's, and all totally worth checking out, none of them are particularly long.
Chaos Wizard

Contemno Repletus
Shining Legend

Postby Rohan » Sat Apr 29 2017 9:10pm

Thanks for the recommendations! :D I'll give them a try. My only experience with that mythos is a board game my friends bought me for my birthday last month, called Elder Sign, where we play as detectives drawn to a mansion, to try to stop one of the Old Ones from awakening.
Rohan

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Chaos Wizard » Sat Apr 29 2017 9:44pm

That's about the kind of thing you might expect from Arkham Horror fiction. But yeah, the man himself is quite different than what his work is generally represented as. It's more psychological than anything which is why it doesn't translate to film or a digital medium but his descriptive narrative is just fantastic and unique.
I'll think you'll enjoy it.
Chaos Wizard

Contemno Repletus
Shining Legend

Postby Noma » Sat May 06 2017 5:34pm

Speaking of Lovecraft, I've been going through some stories of his again recently. Personal favorites are:

The Rats in the Walls
The Outsider
The Haunter in the Dark
At The Mountains of Madness
The Whisperer in Darkness

Of course I enjoy most of the stories, but those I like the best. The Dunwich Horror is pretty high up there also.
All-Stars Mod: WIP, Revived! Check it out!
Noma

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Chaos Wizard » Sat May 06 2017 10:40pm

It's amazing that someone who dies largely unappreciated ends up basically influencing just about everything in fiction forever, and inadvertently creates a almost universally recognized (in developed countries) sub-culture.
Chaos Wizard

Contemno Repletus
Shining Legend

Postby Noma » Sun May 07 2017 12:15am

It's sad to think about though, too. And it happens so often.

Poe is a big example also, though I'm not as big a fan of Poe as I am of Lovecraft. The Fall of the House of Usher is really good, though. His other stuff I can take or leave, some of the more popular poetry and stuff is interesting, but it doesn't evoke the same feeling of creepiness as some other horror writers I like. The Black Cat is pretty good, but everyone raves about The Raven and The Pit and the Pendulum, and I find them both just sort of 'meh'.

I think it's the fact that Poe's horror is very...I don't know, sort of plain. It's got some supernatural elements in there, but the cosmic horror of Lovecraft I feel is so much better. I guess it's that feeling of insignifigance that Lovecraft's pieces have that really gets to me. The idea of things impossible for the human mind to imagine is scary as all hell to me. Not every story is like that, but I feel like even the ones that are less otherworldy are still awesome because he can describe everything in such an eerie way.
Noma

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Earl » Sun May 07 2017 9:34am

I'm on the 7th book of the Chung Kuo series, Days of Bitter Strength.

The series starts about 150 years in the future, where, after a catastrophic worldwide economic collapse, China has ruled for several generations.

At the top, you have good people with good intentions supporting a corrupt system at any cost... and you have terrible people with bad intentions pushing good ideas.
Earl

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Chaos Wizard » Tue May 09 2017 12:26pm

That actually sounds pretty cool Earl.

As for Poe, I like him pretty good, but he's not quite as ominous as Lovecraft. He does definitely touch on madness, but it's much more worldly, and understandable by the reader in terms of something happening as the world exists. Say The Telltale Heart, which is one of my favorites.

H.P. Lovecraft makes horror out of the unknown rather than whats relatable. He likes leaving so many things unanswered and describing his subjects from the perspective of someone struggling to maintain their mind, or viewing something that you just otherwise could not imagine. The Dream Cycle to me is more fantasy than anything else. If Lovecraft had lived to read the Black Company (He would have been super old) I think he could have written some mind bending fantasy.

Poe was very rooted in his time I think, Lovecraft was reimagining the world he lived in as something alternate to what one would experience at the time.
Chaos Wizard

Contemno Repletus
Shining Legend

Postby Noma » Thu May 18 2017 12:30pm

Restarted an old standby:

Think I've read this series all the way through about 8 or 9 times since I was a teenager. Never gets old. A Song of Ice and Fire falls in the same category.

I also went through "The Lord of The Flies" not long ago, which I think was my second read through of that. I have a bunch of paperbacks I bought years ago I never read that I have to go through, "Catch-22" and "The Illiad/The Odyssey" among others, but those are at the top of my list at the moment.
Noma

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Return to General Chatter