Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Off-Topic Forums General Chatter
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

The Shining Only UK thread

Organising and discussing the SO:UK meet ups [Summer 2016 meet planning]

Want to talk about something other than Shining Force? Go ahead!

The Shining Only UK thread

Postby Cullsoft » Wed Jan 18 2012 7:42pm

Thought a dedicated thread for the meet ups as a whole would be a good idea - something the mods can sticky (which is handy, seeing as half the folks who were also eager for an SO:UK sticky thread are now mods :p ).

Rightio, getting the next meet up organised has been well overdue, so time to get some proposals into action.

- A Northern meet is next up in the rota, seeing as the last two were in London and the South West, so that's what I'm aiming for. Liverpool's worked for the couple of Northern meets we've had so far, but I'm open to other suggestions, so long as there's a decent place in mind for stopping and drinking, some decent spots for a walk about, and a Pizza Hut for the usual Walchy-funded meal. ;) Suggestions or recommendations for overnight accomodation would be handy information for folks from distant locations and using long-distance transportation.

- Suggestions for ideal weekends for the meet would be handy, and the sooner one can be decided on, the sooner people can make sure they've got time booked off work (looking at you, Rick :p ) and train tickets and accomodation can be booked. Having just spotted his thread it seems Warg will be visiting around late March/early April, so if he wants to join us I'm happy with aiming for a date that suits him.

As is always the case, it's great to meet up with the regular attendees, but it's also great to meet up with new faces, so don't feel shy about meeting up with us if you haven't been to one of the meets before (and I say that as someone constantly battling introversion). We always strive for a fun and welcoming atmosphere, and often bring along our own bits of Shining memorabilia or fan projects to show round.
Last edited by Cullsoft on Sat May 14 2016 11:19am, edited 6 times in total.
----- Culley's Shop RPG Trading Post & Figurine Emporium -----
- Warrior Pride, Dynamite & other items for sale
- Various figures for trading
- Seeking Grace, Alef and May figurines, also Power Waters, Lucky Cookies and rare goods
Click here for trading rates & more information
- Seeking Grace, Alef and May figurines, also Power Waters, Lucky Cookies and rare goods
Cullsoft

Shining Furce
Shining Legend

Re: The Shining Only UK thread

Postby Alpha » Wed Jan 18 2012 7:54pm

Just so I can give prior warning... I'm going to be in Leicester for my friend's wedding in October (it's on the 13th). So might I suggest a Midlands meeting the weekend before (the 6th)? Sorry to be selfish in asking for Midlands, but I'll be spending several hundred pounds on travel and accommodation to get over again. So hopefully somewhere within 2 hours on the train?

Also, Rick now cannot complain for lack of advance warning ;)

Also also. Sticky'd.
Alpha

Echo Park
Shining Legend

Postby Stordarth » Wed Jan 18 2012 9:35pm

I think a Midlands meet would be fine for october. Chester city centre in particular has plenty to see, a pizza hut, a premier inn and various hotels a stone's throw from the train station: plus i actually have some idea where stuff is after my recent visit.

As for the march/april meet, might be worth asking Warg where abouts in the country he's planning on staying and working around that.
Stordarth

The L-Block Anomaly
Administrator

Postby Rick » Wed Jan 18 2012 9:50pm

Seeing as Warg was talking about visiting the UK for a few weeks soon, we could try and organise one for then? :)

Also, AS MUCH PRIOR WARNING AS POSSIBLE, so get dates sorted... its difficult for me to book weekends unless I'm on holiday, so the sooner the better. The date that Alec suggested is fine, but when we say midlands, how midlands? Liverpool again or somewhere slightly more inland?
Rick's 10K Run Blog

SF Community Project. Come have a looksie

Chaos Wizard wrote:I prefer beauty more then Virginal. But no skanks. :angry:

masquirinsears wrote:wow that rick, he's so hot right now, rick...

-----
Shining Force: Ancient Pathways RPG
Cole - Lv. 11 WARR
HP: 21/21 |||||||||||||||||||||
-----
Rick's 10K Run Blog

-----
Cole - Lv. 11 WARR
-----
Rick

Lionheart
Shining Legend

Postby Alpha » Wed Jan 18 2012 10:00pm

Technically, Chester and Liverpool are classed as North West ;) Just saying.
Alpha

Echo Park
Shining Legend

Postby Stordarth » Wed Jan 18 2012 10:01pm

Anything 10 minutes away from Crewe on the train will always count as Midlands to me. ;P
Stordarth

The L-Block Anomaly
Administrator

Postby Alpha » Wed Jan 18 2012 10:06pm

Hey dude, if you're okay with being wrong, then go with it :p But it's pretty official when you're uni papers say it's North West :)

Anywho, Chester's two and half hours from Leicester, so it'd be workable. Plus, I obviously know the place well. But I'm open to going to other Midlandy places.
Alpha

Echo Park
Shining Legend

Postby Rick » Wed Jan 18 2012 10:14pm

I know it's been bandied around before, but Coventry looks pretty central to... everywhere
Rick's 10K Run Blog

-----
Cole - Lv. 11 WARR
-----
Rick's 10K Run Blog

-----
Cole - Lv. 11 WARR
-----
Rick

Lionheart
Shining Legend

Postby shinsachiel » Wed Jan 18 2012 10:17pm

Crewe is north west so I can see how travelling north and west from it would put you in the midlands
shinsachiel

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Century » Wed Jan 18 2012 11:24pm

The only place worth visiting in the North is Liverpool. (Except for Yorkshire, but that's only if you like the countryside)
Century

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Rohan » Wed Jan 18 2012 11:25pm

Leeds city center is nice and pedestrianised.
Rohan

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Alpha » Wed Jan 18 2012 11:45pm

Century wrote:The only place worth visiting in the North is Liverpool. (Except for Yorkshire, but that's only if you like the countryside)

I disagree, good sir. Chester is awesome, and Newcastle rocks too.
Alpha

Echo Park
Shining Legend

Postby Wargasm » Thu Jan 19 2012 4:01am

Mmm Newcastle makes a mean brown ale, too. ;D

I'm fairly broke until the first to third of February (when my school monies come in), which is when I plan on buying my ticket, assuming I haven't figured space-a travel out yet. I figure at roughly 60 days out I can still get a decent price if it comes down to it.

As for my itinerary, it's pretty malleable so long as I can hit Dublin and a couple biggies in England. I would really like to do a little hiking in the highlands as was suggested, but we'll have to see how things go. I think I'm going to stay for two weeks, so that should be plenty of time to figure everything out. :D

Pretty excited about this.
Wargasm

Pork Sword
Shining Legend

Postby Cullsoft » Thu Jan 19 2012 8:40am

Sounds Awesome, Warg. :) If Dublin's part of your itinerary, then in theory Liverpool would make sense if you're planning to go to Ireland by sea (anyone who knows anything about the ferry crossings can hopefully verify this).

Ta for the sticky, Alec. :) If Warg's visit is going to be in the first half of the year, then planning for a Leicester/Midlands meet for later in the year sounds like a good idea.

At present the only times of year that are likely to be an issue for me are June (family holiday, not sure which weeks) and December (my brother's visiting us for Christmas) - beyond that I should be able to sort something out if given enough time. If it is up north, then I'd probably aim to travel up on the Friday afternoon, seeing as travelling on Saturday the last couple of times has meant missing half the meet by the time I arrive.
Cullsoft

Shining Furce
Shining Legend

Postby Century » Thu Jan 19 2012 9:19am

I disagree, good sir. Chester is awesome, and Newcastle rocks too.

Good point! I'd forgotten about Chester. It is pretty cool, actually. Only time I went to Newcastle was on a school trip. We went to Byker and feared for our lives. So I haven't got the best image of it stuck in my head.

To be honest, I was being a bit tongue-in-cheek. Aside from a few places there's nothing too special about Liverpool. Ship and Mitre is one of the good bits :) I honestly don't mind where it is, though. A new place would be cool.

I've been on Liverpool-Ireland ferry a couple of times and it's ok, nothing spectacular. Takes a long time and the food's pretty lame (but you could do the overnight and sleep in a sweaty cabin with someone else). The alternative is to head along the north Wales coast (which is lovely) and take a ferry from Holyhead, but I've no idea what that's like :/
Century

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Rohan » Thu Jan 19 2012 1:29pm

The other alternative, if Warg has the money and the inclination, is to fly it from Gatwick to Dublin. That's what I did when I went. Cost about £50 for a return ticket. Took about 30-45 minutes.
Rohan

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Wargasm » Sat Jan 21 2012 12:21am

GATWICK?! Sounds shifty...

In any case, I shall investigate!
Wargasm

Pork Sword
Shining Legend

Postby Hirsute » Sat Jan 21 2012 9:41am

Gatwick's one of the London airports.

As for highland walking, I have two recommendations: The first is to visit the Isle of Arran, which is easily accessible from Glasgow (although Glasgow itself is a bit of a waste of time if you ask me). On that Island you can get a nice bed & breakfast (Scottish B&B's are awesome - try the haggis!) and take some really nice walks (which you take depends on you skill level at hiking). Another option which I have done is to go to the tiny village of Balmaha and climb the Conic Hill, which is directly on the border between the highlands and the lowlands. Again I can recommend a nice B&B although there is an Inn in town with good food. In any case I'm sue there's any number of nice places to visit in Scotland where there are nice walks and nice places to stay, but those are the places I have been to that I can recommend.

Oh, and I recommend at least two days in London, as there is plenty to see. I spent a year there and I still didn't see everything.
"...the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
Bill Watterson, Calvin & Hobbes

Aldur wrote:Oh my god Hirsute, you're a sadistic bastard.

Hirsute's Shining Force 2 Mod
Every battle redesigned. Characters rebalanced. Fun increased. Try it now!
"...the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
Bill Watterson, Calvin & Hobbes

Aldur wrote:Oh my god Hirsute, you're a sadistic bastard.

Hirsute's Shining Force 2 Mod
Every battle redesigned. Characters rebalanced. Fun increased. Try it now!
Hirsute

Emperor of Canada
Shining Legend

Postby Wargasm » Sat Jan 21 2012 12:40pm

Geez, that's tricky. I feel I at least owe it to Scotland to spend a couple of days there. I'd like spend 80% of my time in Ireland and England though. But hey, we'll see. I'm fairly spontaneous.
Wargasm

Pork Sword
Shining Legend

Postby Rick » Sat Jan 21 2012 3:37pm

OH SNAP!

Turns out that I am on holiday from work week of the 26th March till 1st April, so arranging a meet around then would work for me!

However, Saturday 31st and Sunday 1st are still out for me, I've planned my birthday celebrations for that weekend...
Rick's 10K Run Blog

-----
Cole - Lv. 11 WARR
-----
Rick's 10K Run Blog

-----
Cole - Lv. 11 WARR
-----
Rick

Lionheart
Shining Legend

Next

Return to General Chatter