Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Off-Topic Forums General Chatter
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Anyone else feel they arn't as good at games these days?

Want to talk about something other than Shining Force? Go ahead!

Anyone else feel they arn't as good at games these days?

Postby Funkymonk » Sun Feb 10 2019 4:36pm

I'm asking this because I've been playing Sonic Mania recently and f*ck me I'm finding it hard! I'm losing lives in literally every zone (and to my shame even died in the Green Hill Zone :blush:) and don't get me started on those tedious special zones! The thing is back in the day I could wizz through a Sonic game without even breaking sweat and with lots of lives/continues left at the end.
I'm guessing most people here have been playing games as long as me so does anyone else feel they we're better at games when they were younger? Also for those who have played Mania do you think this is more difficult then the old Sonic games or is it just me? It does seem to me that ther's a lot more insta death traps in this one (things falling on your head, exploding without warning ect).
Judge others not by their actions but why they do it.
Judge yourself by your actions not why you do it.
Funkymonk

Shining Member
Shining Member

Re: Anyone else feel they arn't as good at games these days?

Postby Rune » Sun Feb 10 2019 8:21pm

Yes and no. I find my decision making skills and strategy are much better, but my reflexes are way worse.

Also when I come home exhausted from work, I can't do a lot of action games because I forget which button is jump and which is shoot.
Bury me with my money.
Bury me with my money.
Rune

Shut the feck up fatty.
Shining Legend

Postby TheUnknownMarine » Mon Feb 11 2019 6:31am

Rune wrote:Yes and no. I find my decision making skills and strategy are much better, but my reflexes are way worse.

Also when I come home exhausted from work, I can't do a lot of action games because I forget which button is jump and which is shoot.

Yea, behold unto the rare occurence that is TUM and Rune agreeing on something, for as thou age, thou reflexes turn as to shit, but thou brain is able to handle more complex planning.

It is absolutely infuriating to find how much worse I am at shooting things over the internet now as to ten years ago, though.
TheUnknownMarine

Master Narrator
Shining Legend

Postby Funkymonk » Mon Feb 11 2019 8:49pm

TheUnknownMarine wrote:
Rune wrote:Yes and no. I find my decision making skills and strategy are much better, but my reflexes are way worse.

Yea, behold unto the rare occurence that is TUM and Rune agreeing on something, for as thou age, thou reflexes turn as to shit, but thou brain is able to handle more complex planning.

It is absolutely infuriating to find how much worse I am at shooting things over the internet now as to ten years ago, though.

Good point lads, older games generally require better reflexes too so maybe it's natural that I'm going to find a old school game like Sonic Mania harder then when I was a young lad. It doesn't make it any less infuriating though!
Funkymonk

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby MXC » Mon Feb 11 2019 9:44pm

Older games do require better reflexes but that comes from just playing them a lot. When I played Sonic, for example, I did it for stretches at a time (multiple hours over multiple weeks) when I was a kid. So I got decent because I kept playing it. I don't typically do that now anymore because I don't have the time.

I honestly think my reflexes are the same but it just feels worse because I don't sit down with games as long as I used to when I was younger.
MXC

Shining Legend

Postby Corsair » Mon Feb 11 2019 10:35pm

We're all dying slowly and the decreased cognitive processing speed is just evidence of this ^_^
Corsair

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Rune » Tue Feb 12 2019 1:14pm

Enough screwing around with old age, it's time to get down to business and start dying quickly.
Bury me with my money.
Bury me with my money.
Rune

Shut the feck up fatty.
Shining Legend

Postby Funkymonk » Tue Feb 12 2019 8:38pm

Well this thread got depressing quickly! ;P
Funkymonk

Shining Member
Shining Member

Return to General Chatter