Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Off-Topic Forums General Chatter
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

General Beer/Ale Discussion

Want to talk about something other than Shining Force? Go ahead!

General Beer/Ale Discussion

Postby Chaos Wizard » Sat Jul 08 2017 11:50am

Given the fact that we're all old as f*ck, and probably drink and like drinking let's get our discussion on while we get our drink on and get into the nitty gritty of what beers are the shiznit and that you would recommend to other members. More importantly, let's keep the dialogue going and keep SFC drunk.

Currently I'm drinking Odell's Cutthroat Porter, and just hammered down a Samuel Adams Downtime Pilsner.

Odell's is generally pretty solid with their beer's and this is no exception. Plenty of flavor as one could expect from a Porter, from fruitiness to a zesty aftertaste I just can't put my finger on. A little more on the bitter side of the Porter spectrum but definitely not one to pass up.
However, when compared with the Anchor Porter I had the other day, it's not quite up to spec as Anchor straight brought the ruckus with that one. It's sweet, it's full flavored, and just all around balanced. Quite possibly my favorite.

As for the Sam Adams. As per usual, again, plenty of flavor going on and none of them are unpleasant. Pilsners are generally not up among my favorites, and the same could be said about Lagers. Just not my cup o tea so to speak, but for me to even actually like them should actually say something to those who know me personally.
It's good, but still boarders on unremarkable.
Whereas Sam didn't let me down, (He has never made a habit of doing so.) it didn't blow my mind either.
All and all I think the Sasquatch Hoppy Pils out of Utah no less likely holds the title of my favorite Pilsner.
Sasquatch being a collaboration between Wasatch Brewing Company (Polygamy Porter, Evolution Ale, and an Excellent Apricot Hefeweizen which is another personal favorite of mine) and Squatters (Full Suspension Pale Ale, American Wheat Hefeweizen... Which I also love... Yeah, Hefeweizen is my shit.)

So spit it out, what have you been drinking? How was it? What's as good or better?

And keep it coming, this place is far too dead for comfort.
Chaos Wizard

Contemno Repletus
Shining Legend

Re: General Beer/Ale Discussion

Postby Rune » Sun Jul 09 2017 4:18am

Pilsners and lagers are my standard easy going beers. They're what I drink when I want a beer, but I'm not really looking for something interesting or complicated.

My all time favorite kind of beer is an oatmeal stout. Ninkasi makes a great one. Generally I'm good with any stout or porter, but a nice oatmeal stout has an excellent mouth feel. I've learned to not bother with the various cheap stouts from Trader Joe's, they just fall flat.

Unfortanetely, I've cut down of my beer drinking. It's all those calories, and I don't like exercising. So now I usually go with a liquor mixed with some soda water (not soda) and maybe some fresh squeezed juice.
Bury me with my money.
Bury me with my money.
Rune

Shut the feck up fatty.
Shining Legend

Postby Chaos Wizard » Sun Jul 09 2017 11:50am

Drank a Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout the other day. An old favorite of mine from back around the time my brother turned 21 and started ordering beers from around the world straight to the house.

I ended up picking up an Imperial Russian the other day I'm going to slam tomorrow called "Old Rasputin".
I'm looking forward to that one for the novelty alone if nothing else.

Tonight I drank an Anchor Steam Beer. Not too shabby as per usual from Anchor, but despite being fairly tasty, it's not exactly my go to kind of beer.
I've been gravitating towards my Hefeweizens and Porters as of late which I'm sure is a phase despite really liking both beers. The steam beer, I'm not really sure what to compare it to. It's kind of like a good amber or pale but probably tastier than most, but not robust enough probably to make me come back for more.
Worth a try though.

Next up is Alaskan Amber Ale. Again not bad, but fairly unremarkable.
Nothing to complain about but not enough to say I'd go out of my way to pick it up again anytime soon.
Amber's though I'd probably gravitate towards New Belgium or Sierra Nevada. Tasty shit with some character.
Chaos Wizard

Contemno Repletus
Shining Legend

Postby Cullsoft » Sun Jul 09 2017 6:46pm

I'm drinking far less than I used to - at least when it comes to drinking at home. Had to bring my alcochol intake down to practically nowt when I was being treated for chronic gallstones a couple of years ago, and although I was given the all-clear after treatment, I rarely feel like drinking at home (although I almost always have a bottle of something in the fridge for when I do). Doesn't help that I haven't been able to reduce the bloated gut that was caused by the stones either.

When I do drink, either at home or out with friends and/or workmates*, I still tend to go for darker ales and abbey beers. I particularly like ruby, brown and triple varieties (I've surprised a few friends who are used to ~5% volume when I buy or bring out a ~12% triple and sup through it with no trouble), though occasionally go for blondes too.

Leffe and Kasteel are my favourites of the darker abbey ales, with Affligem joining in when I fancy something lighter. I still like the Wychwood range of beers, though despite being local I'm surprised they're rarely in any of the pubs in Oxford; Doombar and Oxford Gold are regularly on top, and I've got used to them as a decent choice when going out.

* I do have a bit of a problem with some of our office's payday or leaving drinks, as they tend to be held at wine or cocktail bars that offer little if anything for me as I'm not much of a wine drinker, don't really know any cocktails (though did have a nice coffee one at a local Carribean restaurant on my last birthday) and the only beers on offer are usually lagers I have no taste for. Fortunately my team share that view, and when we go for drinks we have a few haunts that offer a fair range of both new and familiar beers to sup on.
----- Culley's Shop RPG Trading Post & Figurine Emporium -----
- Warrior Pride, Dynamite & other items for sale
- Various figures for trading
- Seeking Grace, Alef and May figurines, also Power Waters, Lucky Cookies and rare goods
Click here for trading rates & more information
----- Culley's Shop RPG Trading Post & Figurine Emporium -----
- Warrior Pride, Dynamite & other items for sale
- Various figures for trading
- Seeking Grace, Alef and May figurines, also Power Waters, Lucky Cookies and rare goods
Click here for trading rates & more information
Cullsoft

Shining Furce
Shining Legend

Postby Chaos Wizard » Mon Jul 10 2017 11:06am

Funny you mention Wychwood as I'm drinking a delicious Hobgoblin right now.

I've got to say, despite being one of the first British beers I had way back when, around the time my brother turned 21, it's still one of my favorites and one of Alpha's favorites as well he revealed the other day.
It's a thicker beer, and has a fair bit of bitterness to it but enough malt creaminess and sweetness to it to tame the brew just enough to make it satisfying.

Honestly Hobgoblin could be a dessert.
Chaos Wizard

Contemno Repletus
Shining Legend

Postby MXC » Mon Jul 10 2017 4:40pm

I go through my phases with drinking. I tend to be a dark beer drinker, sticking to stouts and porters, so the fall and winter are my peak beer seasons. There are a few I like from a local brewery, MadTree (check them out if you happen to have them available near you though I'm not sure how far out they ship.) During the summer, I tend to drink a lot of rum as well as many other liquors like Whisky, Tequila, Vodka, and more recently, Scotch.

I also really enjoy Ambers in general and that tends to be my go-to in the summer since it's the lightest I can get and still maintain some flavor. Anything lighter than that often looses the flavor or is overrun with hops. Anything darker than that tends to make me feel like shit in the summer because dark beer is heavy and heaviness in the summer is not fun.

I can tolerate some of the fruity beer as well but I usually cannot do more than one. For what it's worth though, Short's Brewing, Soft Parade is a Fruit Rye Ale with strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and blackberries and I love it. When my wife and I visited Michigan, we had a few and maybe it was just a perfect storm but I really enjoyed it. It's 7.5% as well so you get the bang for your buck but it doesn't taste particularly alcoholic.

But typically, I stick to MadTree's Thunder Snow and their Rubus Cacao.
MXC

Shining Legend

Postby Dandy » Tue Jul 11 2017 5:44am

Was never to much of a beer fan, mostly drink vodka. I do enjoy the Weihenstephan line of beers. Oldest brewery in the world, so they must be doing something right.
Dandy

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Corsair » Tue Jul 11 2017 7:29pm

Dandy wrote:Weihenstephan

Weihenstephaner is good shit, in my experience. If you're into relatively easy-to-drink imports, i've yet to try anything from St. Bernardus that I didn't like. That Abt. 12 tho.

Couple of local-ish breweries - Orpheus lords over the IPA game by a broad margin. They make three - two of which are among my favorite in-general beers (Transmigration of Souls and Truth/Body/soul.) Of course, your enjoyment is somewhat contingent on an ability to like the IPA in the first place, but I've know non-IPA drinkers to be able to get into the above listed Transmigration. ~12-13 bucks for a 6-pack. They also do tasting tours. Need to get on that. ToS is also like 10% abv. I know. Pine Cone syrup, but I like piney stuff.

Southtown Brewery produces a coffee stout that I enjoy.

The only type of beers that I definitely don't like are sour ales.

While I know it's not strictly legal, i'd be so down with an SFC beer exchange program.
Corsair

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Chaos Wizard » Tue Jul 11 2017 9:50pm

We could probably figure something out more covertly no doubt... :shifty:

Weihenstaphaner is pretty delicious. I had a Heffe Weisbier just about a week ago.
If you haven't check out Franzikaner... Fantastic Heffe Weisbier with just a touch of lemon zestiness.

Sours... Not huge on Sours. My brother gave me an Aunt Sally from Lagunitas and tart bear is not my bag.

Coffee Infused though! Mjolnir Breakfast IPA and Founders Imperial Coffee Stout. f*ck yeah.
Chaos Wizard

Contemno Repletus
Shining Legend

Postby Assassins » Wed Jul 12 2017 4:38am

I'm not a big beer drinker, but I appreciate the smoky taste of Edmund Fitzgerald
The failblood.

On the battlefield, when everything is chaos/ you have nothing but the way you feel, your strategy and a sword/ just think of the life you'll have together after the war
The failblood.

On the battlefield, when everything is chaos/ you have nothing but the way you feel, your strategy and a sword/ just think of the life you'll have together after the war
Assassins

Mentat
Shining Legend

Postby Chaos Wizard » Thu Jul 13 2017 10:53am

So I just cracked open a Four Peaks's Kilt Lifter Scottish Ale... This is without a doubt up there on my favorites list. The only thing I may have liked more recently that I've had is the Anchor Porter or the Deschutes Obsidian Stout.

So devilishly tasty you could probably give it to a chick and tell her it's a girly drink and she might just believe you whilst drinking a fine ale that packs a respectable 6% alcohol content.

Edit: Just slammed an Anchor California Lager. Pretty marvelous for a larger. It's got that little bit of sourness to it but still delightfully crisp and fresh tasting, and I probably like it a little more than the Steam Beer. Not to say that the Steam wasn't good, it just wasn't fantastic.
Chaos Wizard

Contemno Repletus
Shining Legend

Postby Moondog » Sun Jul 16 2017 2:36pm

are we talking beer as in the American name for Lager or are we talking beer as in beer you get in Britain (usually a lot darker and thicker), if it's the latter i love me some John Smith's.
Moondog

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Corsair » Tue Jul 18 2017 1:49am

Beer exchange:

OK so it turns out it is *totally* legal to ship between states in the continental US through UPS and FedEx, you just need to fill out some paperwork.

I'd be willing to ship a 6-pack of a couple of my favorites from local breweries if anyone's interested in returning the favor. Lemme know and we can exchange shipping info and offer a few options.
Corsair

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Rune » Tue Jul 18 2017 1:55am

Moondog wrote:are we talking beer as in the American name for Lager or are we talking beer as in beer you get in Britain (usually a lot darker and thicker), if it's the latter i love me some John Smith's.

Beer is the catch all term in the US. It's anything from Budweiser to Guinness to Chimay.

I had both an obsidian stout and anchor porter last night. Both are good. However, I always feel deschutes is a little short of special.
Bury me with my money.
Bury me with my money.
Rune

Shut the feck up fatty.
Shining Legend

Postby Chaos Wizard » Tue Jul 18 2017 9:29pm

I likewise had an Anchor Porter and an Obsidian Stout.

I also had a Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA, which is also pretty marvelous. I'm really not a huge IPA guy myself despite it's seemingly insane popularity among beer drinkers, but this one is pretty spot on.
Not too bitter or lacking in sweetness like a lot of IPA's and Red Ales.

Dogfish Head is generally on point and the 90 Minute IPA is no exception.
Chaos Wizard

Contemno Repletus
Shining Legend

Postby Noodle » Thu Aug 10 2017 3:24am

Chaos Wizard wrote:We could probably figure something out more covertly no doubt... :shifty:

Weihenstaphaner is pretty delicious. I had a Heffe Weisbier just about a week ago.
If you haven't check out Franzikaner... Fantastic Heffe Weisbier with just a touch of lemon zestiness.

Sours... Not huge on Sours. My brother gave me an Aunt Sally from Lagunitas and tart bear is not my bag.

Coffee Infused though! Mjolnir Breakfast IPA and Founders Imperial Coffee Stout. f*ck yeah.

Founders products have made their way out by you? They are based 20 minutes from me. The place is phenomenal and the beers are outstanding.
Noodle

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Rune » Fri Aug 11 2017 8:35pm

I'm not gonna lie. Here I am in Germany, but I'm not drinking beer. There is way too much liquor and wine that is far more expensive in the US. I am dealing with that first.
Bury me with my money.
Bury me with my money.
Rune

Shut the feck up fatty.
Shining Legend

Return to General Chatter