Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Fanwork
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Legend of Syro Alpha 1.3 Demo

Share, discuss or get ideas for your Shining Fanwork here! Anything from fanfic and fanart to homebrew Shining games and midi composition!

Legend of Syro Alpha 1.3 Demo

Postby Chaoswizard98 » Fri Jan 06 2017 6:57pm

Hey there everyone, hope your holidays have been well.

I decided to take a small break from functionality stuff for a little while so that I could polish up some of my existing code and bring you the next part of the main story.

Download Link:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-F-g- ... sp=sharing

This demo adds the second battle to the story as well as all the cutscenes in between. I also fleshed out the town as well so NPCs and Bookshelves actually provide worthwhile information. There are also 3 new 'important' NPCs who will be recurring characters throughout the story.

I'd like to get your feedback on the story and characters so far. So if you have any questions, comments, or concerns, or if something just doesn't feel right, please let me know.

As always, if you run into a bug (like if the game stops working or freezes) hit F5 and send me the save file.

I hope you enjoy!
~Chaos

Changelog:
WARNING: SPOILER!
Last edited by Chaoswizard98 on Sun Feb 05 2017 4:31pm, edited 1 time in total.
Creator of the GameMaker Shining Engine and "The Legend of Syro" Fan Game. (WIP)
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=26022
Creator of the GameMaker Shining Engine and "The Legend of Syro" Fan Game. (WIP)
Chaoswizard98

Shining Member
Shining Member

Re: Legend of Syro Alpha 1.3 Demo

Postby Tor_Heyerdal » Sat Jan 07 2017 11:22am

Hey, Chaos.

I just finished the demo, and I absolutely adored it. <3

With the exception of that last point, I don't consider any of these points to be game breaking, and I can live with them just fine. I would still play through this and get just as much fun and satisfaction from it whether they were fixed or not (again, except for that last point; I can foresee much raging being caused by that one), and I am definitely looking forward to the next installment. Keep up the beautiful work, man.

Oh, and I did not encounter any bugs or anomalies throughout my playthrough, so far as I could tell.

Also... just for the record... "Syro" kind of sounds like a Japanese person with a speech impediment trying to say "Zylo". :V hehehehe
Creator of Shining Force III: 16-bit (WIP).
Tjelladallak våriiikeõdõtsyk jeissõ'eilamnikinõhõn. Ii'tuntoimjähädälläjät, niin miietsy iimpa'tyõhõnja.
Tjelladallak våriiikeõdõtsyk jeissõ'eilamnikinõhõn. Ii'tuntoimjähädälläjät, niin miietsy iimpa'tyõhõnja.
Tor_Heyerdal

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Chaoswizard98 » Sat Jan 07 2017 6:09pm

Hey Tor, glad you finally got a chance to play it!

About your points:

Story related Stuff:

The Other Stuff:

Chaoswizard98 wrote:Oh, and I did not encounter any bugs or anomalies throughout my playthrough, so far as I could tell.

Good!

Chaoswizard98 wrote:Also... just for the record... "Syro" kind of sounds like a Japanese person with a speech impediment trying to say "Zylo". :V hehehehe

Lol. I'm likely going to change the name sometime in the future. LoS is/was a placeholder since I couldn't think of anything better at the time. Plus I'd rather not have google auto correct 'Syro' to 'Spyro' as it currently does XD.

Nonetheless, I'm glad you enjoyed it and I appreciate the support!
Chaoswizard98

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Tor_Heyerdal » Sat Jan 07 2017 11:12pm

In regards to the cursor, if it does actually move diagonally, then I think I failed to notice that because it seems to go back and forth. Like, if it's traveling Northwest, then it strongly appears to be going up, left, up, left, up, left, etc. All of the diagonal movements should be done all at once until it's lined up with just one axis, then it travels straight the rest of the way. So if it's traveling Northwest, then it should *only* go diagonally up/left until it has only up movements or only left movements remaining.

But yeah, definitely enjoyed the hell out of it. :D
Tor_Heyerdal

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Chaoswizard98 » Sun Jan 08 2017 4:33am

The Cursor was alternating between diagonals and straights (due to cost ties along the way) which is why you're seeing the quirky display. I changed the Heuristic so the overlap points no longer occur.

The funny thing is I actually made the Heuristic LESS accurate in order to fix the diagonals issue lol.
Chaoswizard98

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby fuseboy » Wed Jan 18 2017 7:14pm

Played through the demo twice now and really enjoyed it both times. I haven't had a chance to go through your main thread on this game, so some of the points I'm making may not be relevant or you may already be aware of. I will read the main thread through at some point.

Thought both battles were challenging in places. Both times playing the first battle I was unable to kill off all enemies and had to quickly kill the 'boss' or I would have lost a character.

I enjoyed the fast and frantic start to the second battle. Thought both battles were well balanced. The only thing with the 2nd battle, I would have liked the enemy stats to be different - they were almost identical. Even just an increase/decrease by 1 point in ATT or DEF would have been nice. But this is more a personal preference and not a big deal.

I noticed a slight cursor glitch when you try to remove a weapon, the red selection box is too low.

So, overall, I really enjoyed this demo and am looking forward to seeing how this game develops.

Great work so far.
fuseboy

Postby chris1234p » Wed Jan 18 2017 7:39pm

Great work as always Chaos. I made a video of myself playing and reacting to the demo. Do you mind if I put it on youtube?
chris1234p

Postby Chaoswizard98 » Wed Jan 18 2017 11:54pm

Go for it! I'd love to see it!
Chaoswizard98

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby chris1234p » Thu Jan 19 2017 2:02am

chris1234p

Postby Chaoswizard98 » Thu Jan 19 2017 6:02pm

Okay I just finished watching it! Here's a list of every point you brought up in the videos.

1:Correction, It's being made in GameMaker not RPGMaker. But no worries, it's close enough XD

2:Dr. Jeffrey was my college advisor and every CS student's best friend. So the bookshelf is a nod to him. The other bookshelves hint at a larger story and give you more insight to past events. "General Doomskull sounds like a bad dude." very lol.

3:Regarding the hole in wall that you cant get into. "Oh you bastard chaos." I know, I'm so evil lol.

4:Potential plot hole "2 months." The characters don't know for sure, they are guessing they have around 2 months. People have sailed to Athalen before, hence they know of it, however it hasn't been thoroughly explored. They pretty much only know where it is, not what's there. Also, more than likely you'll have some mention of time along the way. Time isn't something I forgot about lol.

5:"Does Jason Live alone?" Not many people in that town right now actually live there. This town has the only remaining ship and it sustained the least amount of damage compared to the others. (not to mention it's also furthest from the 'gate' that is mentioned) So really his home is in some farming village elsewhere on the continent.

6:"Where are Jason and Max's parents" Good question. Probably dead, but I haven't spent much thought on them yet since they aren't really main characters in this game or games to come.

7:"Old Coot, Who is that referring to?" If you talk to the 2 old people in town before and after battle 1, they say something different that explains it.

8:After Jamie's mom mentioned her. "I wonder if there's a secret character around." Yes, Jamie is an optional character. Considering that you talked to her, I think you can figure out what the effect of that will be in the next bit of the story, lol.

9:Regarding the faster battle cutscenes, they currently animate fast because they aren't timed out properly yet. I'll time them out when I go back and add a toggleable speed option to them.

10:"Ass Nuggets" I think everybody has laughed at that character so far.

11:"Kira Looks like a bad guy." Yep, she's a bandit. You'll find out more about her and the other characters later.

12:For Kira's sprite, I used a combination of sprites and frankensprited something together. She's a mix of Gerhalt, Sheela, and Elric. (on a side note, I noticed you were only using Kira as a melee fighter. She can also throw her knives) ;)

13:Egress SHOULD have rezed Phillip since it fires off the same temporary global Heal All function, but it looks like I forgot to add rez to it >.< Thanks for finding that for me! (Issue has been fixed)

14:"Can I save the game?" Church / Advisor is the next task. Since they aren't added yet, your characters should auto rez, but as you mentioned, they didn't XD. For now, GM's default quick save / load are enabled (f5 and f6) however they can be buggy at times. Best not to save when anything is pathfinding!

15:"I'm probably being overly critical." That's the best way to find bugs and flaws in the story so I appreciate it :thumbsup:

16:Choosing "No" when talking to Max will actually be used later on when I add achievements.

17:The music from battle 1 is from newgrounds. It's called "The Last Battle" by Miqz.
===============

I'm glad you enjoyed it and I appreciate the support!
(And you better bet I'll finish this thing!)

===============
Edit:
Hey there Fuseboy, somehow I missed your comment >.<

It is possible in the first battle to kill all of the enemies assuming you go the long way around. If you cut through the overgrowth as Chris did, you end up getting hit on both sides by 2 groups of wolves which can make the battle more difficult.

For the stats in the second battle, I'm pretty sure I forgot to fix them. I had too much fun messing with the AI in that battle and likely forgot XD. I'll double check and get that fixed.

The cursor being too low was likely due to fixing the menu font (I had to shift everything up 8 pixels or so) I'll go check that out and get it fixed.

And about your spoiler points:

I appreciate the support!
Chaoswizard98

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby bum_199 » Tue Jan 31 2017 9:16am

just saw the videos didn't realize you'd made this much progress. great stuff!
bum_199

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Chaoswizard98 » Sun Feb 05 2017 4:37pm

bum_199 wrote:just saw the videos didn't realize you'd made this much progress. great stuff!

I appreciate the support man!

Quick update:
I fixed a few of the issues you guys reported and updated the download link in the OP.

===Fixes===
-Cursor Pathfinding looks more elegant.
-Fixed weapon "remove" blink being shifted down 12 pixels
-Fixed dead characters not returning after battle
-Tweaked enemy stats in battle 2
-Increased Phillip's attack by 1
-Fixed Turn order RNG values (less random)
-Phillip's Battle sprite no longer changes colors
-Viking Bandit sprite no longer 1 pixel off
-Battered Knife sprite corrected. (was previously displaying as a staff)

Also, I verified that Heal 2 and Blaze 2 work if you power-level your Healer and Mage.
Chaoswizard98

Shining Member
Shining Member

Return to Shining Fanwork