Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Fanwork
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Status Effect Questions

Share, discuss or get ideas for your Shining Fanwork here! Anything from fanfic and fanart to homebrew Shining games and midi composition!

Status Effect Questions

Postby Chaoswizard98 » Thu Oct 20 2016 8:25pm

I have a few questions regarding the implementation of status effects.

Inflicting Status Effects:
There's 2 ways I could add them (unless someone has another idea). One way is to simply have a flag for "is poisonous" and if so, test for a resist from the character's poison resistance.

The other way is to have a chance to perform a poison attack. In this case, it would be poison chance = (base stat + item + weapon). Compare that to a RNG value to see if the attack was poisonous, then if it was, test for resist from the target.

Also what of the case of a critical hit? Should that give an increased chance to inflict the status effect?

Resistances:
How should something like 'fire resistance' and 'ice resistance' effect a burn effect if at all? Increase / decrease damage taken? Chance to resist?

Duration:
In regards to snapping out of an effect like sleep, how should that be done? Should 'sleep resistance' effect how quickly one would wake up? Or should the cure rate be separate from resistance?

Default resistance values:
What should the default resistance values be for things like poison, sleep, ect?
Creator of the GameMaker Shining Engine and "The Legend of Syro" Fan Game. (WIP)
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=26022
Creator of the GameMaker Shining Engine and "The Legend of Syro" Fan Game. (WIP)
Chaoswizard98

Shining Member
Shining Member

Re: Status Effect Questions

Postby Tor_Heyerdal » Thu Oct 20 2016 11:02pm

In regards to the poison proc, I can't speak for the other Shining games, but in SF3, the way that works is that it first checks for a critical hit. If you succeed in scoring a critical hit, then it will run an RNG to determine whether the crit will be registered as a crit as normal, or if it will be a special (supposing the character has specials in the first place). The highest level special has the highest chance of procing, and the lowest level special has the lowest chance of procing, with "regular crit" being the least likely result (if 'regular crit' is even possible, I don't remember 100%, which I actually think it might not be). A poison attack would count as a special.

Also, I don't know for certain, but I would be inclined to imagine that 'luck' might play a role in whether or not a character wakes up from sleep. And I would also be inclined to think that there is no such thing as poison/sleep/etc resistances, but I could certainly be wrong about that.
Creator of Shining Force III: 16-bit (WIP).
Tjelladallak våriiikeõdõtsyk jeissõ'eilamnikinõhõn. Ii'tuntoimjähädälläjät, niin miietsy iimpa'tyõhõnja.
Creator of Shining Force III: 16-bit (WIP).
Tjelladallak våriiikeõdõtsyk jeissõ'eilamnikinõhõn. Ii'tuntoimjähädälläjät, niin miietsy iimpa'tyõhõnja.
Tor_Heyerdal

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Stordarth » Fri Oct 21 2016 1:12am

In SF2, all status effects inflicted via an attack actually replace critical hit bonus damage. Essentially, poison is the critical hit. It is still subject to the resistance bitfield I outlined to you in my last pm, so it can still be resisted.

For Legacies of Veridocia, we are implementing a chance-based system. A default chance to proc is assigned to a given effect, and the relevant resistance is subtracted from that chance to give the percent chance to be afflicted. We separated status ailments into physical and mental, and use two resistance stats - Body and Mind - to determine the chance of ailments to take hold.
Stordarth

The L-Block Anomaly
Administrator

Postby Rya.Reisender » Fri Oct 28 2016 9:39am

Too many resistances and calculations would make the game too complex imo. I kinda like that Shining Force is simple.

Also I like that poison replaces critical hits. Getting poisoned is frustrating enough, don't need to be a critical hit on top of that.
Rya.Reisender

Postby Chaoswizard98 » Fri Oct 28 2016 5:03pm

Tor_Heyerdal wrote:Also, I don't know for certain, but I would be inclined to imagine that 'luck' might play a role in whether or not a character wakes up from sleep. And I would also be inclined to think that there is no such thing as poison/sleep/etc resistances, but I could certainly be wrong about that.

You are correct, those don't exist in SF2. Nor does luck for that matter. I initially meant this to be more of a developer end question as opposed to a player end question so sorry for the confusion XD. Having a resistance for every ailment is more of a "you now have more control over stuff" feature on the developer's end. That being said, I probably wont use most of them. I do like the global 'luck' idea though. Makes sense for waking up, snapping out of stuns, ect.

Stordarth wrote:In SF2, all status effects inflicted via an attack actually replace critical hit bonus damage. Essentially, poison is the critical hit.

Yeah I remember that. Not 100% sure I'd go that rout though, at least for my game. I might add a toggle option for it though. Does it test for crit and then poison? Or does it simply just test for poison? In other words,
WARNING: SPOILER!

Rya.Reisender wrote:Too many resistances and calculations would make the game too complex imo. I kinda like that Shining Force is simple.

Also I like that poison replaces critical hits. Getting poisoned is frustrating enough, don't need to be a critical hit on top of that.

I agree that having too many resistances would make things more complex. I myself probably wont use most of them for my game, however it's safer to build in variables and not use them, than to not build them in and need them later on.

If I can add an option for having ailments replacing crits, I will do so.

====================
New question:
If a character like Peter has a Burn DoT inflicted on him, should his fire resistance effect how much damage he takes?
Chaoswizard98

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Stordarth » Sat Oct 29 2016 1:16am

It's more general, like this:

Code: Select all
if(Crit){
. Status Effect}
Else{
. Hit}
}

Crit damage doesn't enter the equation. A crit will always apply poison if the attacker has poison. The same is true with any other status effect. Attacks that stun will replace the crit damage too, as will those that apply slow.
Stordarth

The L-Block Anomaly
Administrator

Return to Shining Fanwork