Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Fanwork
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

How do y'all think I should do barrels? RE: SFIII: 16-bit

Share, discuss or get ideas for your Shining Fanwork here! Anything from fanfic and fanart to homebrew Shining games and midi composition!

Which of the options described in the opening post do you think I should go with?

1) Find someone to make the sprite, and do the battle cinematic. Try to make it yourself if you have to, even if it's imperfect.
33%
2a) It's not that important. Go ahead and make it like chests. Keep the weapon skill gain, though.
No votes
2b) It's not that important. Go ahead and make it like chests. Remove the weapon skill stat gain for consistency's sake, though.
No votes
3a) Go with 2a if you can't find anyone to help with option 1, but go with option 1 if you can.
67%
3b) Go with 2b if you can't find anyone to help with option 1, but go with option 1 if you can.
No votes

Total votes : 6

How do y'all think I should do barrels? RE: SFIII: 16-bit

Postby Tor_Heyerdal » Sat Sep 17 2016 11:14pm

In Shining Force III, there is often a bunch of barrels in the battles which can be attacked and destroyed to acquire items and open routes of movement for outside of combat. Naturally, I want to translate these into my remake somehow, but I have a few options as to how I can go about it, and I'm not sure which way to choose, so I thought I'd ask the community.

1) I can try to replicate the original format of having it go into a cinematic battle sequence to slap up the barrel. This option is complicated by the fact that I'm not confident that I can do a full-sized battle sprite from scratch, and there aren't any extant resources from the other games that I can think of from which to splice this. So I'll need to ask for somebody's help to make a barrel battle sprite (they will be credited, of course). It only need be one single frame.

2a) I could treat barrels like chests and have it so that there is no cinematic battle sequence at all, and the character just "searches" the barrel, which would then amusingly explode. This option is complicated by the fact that you're supposed to gain weapon skill from attacking barrels, and it seems difficult to justify that particular stat gain when you're not *actually* attacking it.
2b) I could theoretically remove the weapon skill gain from interacting with barrels, but I imagine that that decision could prove controversial.
Creator of Shining Force III: 16-bit (WIP).
Tjelladallak våriiikeõdõtsyk jeissõ'eilamnikinõhõn. Ii'tuntoimjähädälläjät, niin miietsy iimpa'tyõhõnja.
Tjelladallak våriiikeõdõtsyk jeissõ'eilamnikinõhõn. Ii'tuntoimjähädälläjät, niin miietsy iimpa'tyõhõnja.
Tor_Heyerdal

Shining Member
Shining Member

Re: How do y'all think I should do barrels? RE: SFIII: 16-bi

Postby MXC » Sun Sep 18 2016 12:51am

Make the sprite, when it's attacked, have it shake and explode like the characters.
MXC

Shining Legend

Postby sulfuroxp » Sun Sep 18 2016 1:59am

like hitting a tree in Fire Emblem
sulfuroxp

Lost Shining Purple
Shining Legend

Postby Chaoswizard98 » Sun Sep 18 2016 2:00am

I second finding or making a sprite. The main thing is the feature itself as sprites and other resources can be interchanged at any time for a better version. Also, good to see you back on the forums Tor!
Creator of the GameMaker Shining Engine and "The Legend of Syro" Fan Game. (WIP)
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=26022
Creator of the GameMaker Shining Engine and "The Legend of Syro" Fan Game. (WIP)
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=26022
Chaoswizard98

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Tor_Heyerdal » Wed Sep 21 2016 10:40pm

So I have officially tried my hand at making this barrel sprite myself. I felt rather out of my element doing a large-scale sprite like this from pure scratch, but I actually feel like it turned out pretty well. I've shown it to a couple of people now, and they think it looks good too. What do y'all think?

Also, thanks Chaoswizard98. :)

WARNING: SPOILER!
Tor_Heyerdal

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby MXC » Wed Sep 21 2016 10:58pm

It feels a bit too large but that might just be me. Otherwise, it looks great!
MXC

Shining Legend

Postby Tor_Heyerdal » Wed Sep 21 2016 11:06pm

I figure it's supposed to be large, on account of the fact that if you actually look at the sprite for the barrel in the walkabout environment, you'll see that those things are actually pretty massive. They're bigger than your dude. Like, you could fit two people into one of those things. lol. But I figured if I made it *that* big in the cinematic sequence, it would just feel way too huge, so I toned it down so it's only about half to two-thirds the height of a Masked Monk.
Tor_Heyerdal

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Century » Thu Sep 22 2016 7:52am

Yeah, have to agree that it's got to be large. If it's any smaller then there probably wouldn't be much of an issue walking round it/climbing over it anyway!
Century

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Stordarth » Thu Sep 22 2016 1:36pm

Considering large scale sprites aren't your forte by your own admission, that looks pretty decent. That Hayward edit is spiffy too.
Stordarth

The L-Block Anomaly
Administrator

Postby Tor_Heyerdal » Thu Sep 22 2016 11:16pm

Considering large scale sprites aren't your forte by your own admission, that looks pretty decent. That Hayward edit is spiffy too.

Oh, good. This is exactly the post I was waiting for. Now that our own resident Simon Cowell has endorsed it, I am now absolutely confident that it is good enough <3 (No offense, Stor. Much love. I actually appreciate having a harsher critic around :) ).

Also, yeah, while large scale sprites are not my forte, *editing* sprites certainly *is* my forte, including large sprites. As such, I'm glad that you also approve my Hayward sprite. ^^ Thanks.
Tor_Heyerdal

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby DiegoMM » Fri Sep 23 2016 1:37pm

I like it.

Are you open to use sprites for another games shining unralated? a lot of beatnups has barrels sprites.
Interesting articles about true things shining: http://www.everystudent.com/
Interesting articles about true things shining: http://www.everystudent.com/
DiegoMM

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby RedShine » Fri Sep 23 2016 9:46pm

It's definitely looking very good, Tor. I wish I had your talent for editing, for sure.
RedShine

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Tor_Heyerdal » Fri Sep 23 2016 10:05pm

Are you open to use sprites for another games shining unralated? a lot of beatnups has barrels sprites.

I *almost* succumbed to the temptation to do exactly this. lol. None of the barrels that I happened to find in my search within this venue really had the right "aesthetic". I suppose I could've maybe edited them, though... But whatever. It's here, now. lol. And if Stordarth thinks it's good enough, then so do I. :)

I like it.

It's definitely looking very good, Tor. I wish I had your talent for editing, for sure.

Thanks, you guys. <3
Tor_Heyerdal

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Stordarth » Fri Sep 23 2016 11:29pm

Tor_Heyerdal wrote:

Oh, good. This is exactly the post I was waiting for. Now that our own resident Simon Cowell has endorsed it, I am now absolutely confident that it is good enough <3 (No offense, Stor. Much love. I actually appreciate having a harsher critic around :) ).

Also, yeah, while large scale sprites are not my forte, *editing* sprites certainly *is* my forte, including large sprites. As such, I'm glad that you also approve my Hayward sprite. ^^ Thanks.

You do enough edits, you start to get better at stuff from scratch. That's how I started out. You might find that as you do more edits, they become more ambitious, until you get the bug to try something new for the hell of it.

I'd take offence to that Simon Cowell remark, but then I look at my portrait, and there it is. Simon Scowl.
Stordarth

The L-Block Anomaly
Administrator

Return to Shining Fanwork