Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Fanwork
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Guardiana Revisited (Minecraft Project)

A re-mastery of a project from 2011

Share, discuss or get ideas for your Shining Fanwork here! Anything from fanfic and fanart to homebrew Shining games and midi composition!

Guardiana Revisited (Minecraft Project)

Postby Chaoswizard98 » Sat Jan 02 2016 4:38am

Every once in a while, someone comments on a 5 year old video of mine where I built Guardiana in Minecraft. The old build was a scale of 1 to 1. Meaning it was 1 tile to every 1 block in game. I keep getting people asking me to continue creating the SF world, however the world save which contained that old project is no longer in this plane of existence as it was corrupted ages ago. That, and after 5 more years of experience, I can honestly say the 2011 version is god awful to the skill and building standards I have nowadays lol.

Well, I finally decided to re-visit the project for a bit and re-create Guardiana. This time around, I didn't use a set scale nor did I make it 100% accurate. Although the town is mostly accurate, I had to change the shape and design of a few things in order to really bring out the depth and detail. I also wanted the terrain to be less flat, so I used my best judgement, looking at stairs ect, to try to fit some hills into the build. Nonetheless, I am quite happy with the result.

I'll be making a video showing off the build in more detail when I have the time (and once I finish decorating the interior's of the buildings).

Fun facts:
It took 15 hours of work, 3 Minecraft crashes, and one server crash to bring this to life!
The mountain took the shortest amount of time out of any of the terrain / structures on the map.
I listened to SF2's town theme on loop for the entire 15 hours of building.
The dog on the map is actually owned by "Gort." I changed its owner via plugin. For no real reason...
I forced myself to NOT use as much detail as I would on a normal build because I didn't want to over detail the map.

The old 2011 version and my hilarious younger voice for comparison with the new version:
Creator of the GameMaker Shining Engine and "The Legend of Syro" Fan Game. (WIP)
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=26022
Creator of the GameMaker Shining Engine and "The Legend of Syro" Fan Game. (WIP)
Chaoswizard98

Shining Member
Shining Member

Re: Guardiana Revisited (Minecraft Project)

Postby Lucifer » Fri Jan 22 2016 5:05am

:excited: This is amazing, and the dog was a nice touch.

Chaoswizard98 wrote:It took 15 hours of work, 3 Minecraft crashes, and one server crash to bring this to life!
:shock: I commend your patience and devotion to the project.
Lucifer

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Caedmonball19 » Fri Sep 09 2016 2:37pm

Just seeing this now. Wow the new version is truly impressive. I thought the old version was neat to see too and definitely took a lot of time in its own regard to get everything right.
Caedmonball19

The Black Sheep
Shining Hero

Postby Chaoswizard98 » Fri Sep 09 2016 3:33pm

Oh yeah, I forgot about this lol.

Yeah the older version was more of a nightmare. Since creative mode and superflat worlds didn't exist back then, the entire area had to be dug out by hand and the materials were obtained by typing ./give chaoswizard98 <insert material here> over and over again.

With the newer version, I have access to world edit too which makes everything much easier. I did mess up though and overlooked the direction of the town. It's facing east instead of north :damnit: I'll probably try to correct it with world edit as long as I don't constantly crash the game.

Something else I've noticed is that both Guardiana and Alterone are built next to some water source. Guardiana's is quite small so that can be ignored, but Alterone is literally on a huge body of water. Comparing the town to the overworld map tends to contradict itself since no water is present. If the town was further north, closer to the river, it would make more sense. Otherwise, the secret passage to Rindo would be quite a trek considering the size difference between a town tile and an overworld tile. Just something funny to think about.

Also, I am not looking forward to Alterone's castle which looks to be bigger than Guardiana's...
Chaoswizard98

Shining Member
Shining Member

Return to Shining Fanwork