The Legend of Syro (Fan Game)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07 2014 3:14am
by Chaoswizard98

Ever since I first played Shining Force ages ago, I always wanted to make my own Shining game. This has been a life goal and now I am beginning work on it.

New Video Update (11/26/17)
https://youtu.be/ZjUefPPIRoQ

Playable Demos (04/15/18)
WARNING: SPOILER!

Known Bugs

Anyways I hope you guys enjoy!
~Chaos

==================
= Story Information =
==================
(Does not contain spoilers)

=======================
= Game Engine Progress =
=======================

Re: The Legend of Syro (Fan Game)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08 2014 1:04am
by Stordarth
Hey, welcome to the forums.

Having watched the video, I can tell you're off to a promising start already. Keep working at it.

Just a friendly piece of advice though: I'd consider replacing as many of the Shining Force assets with your own as soon as possible. SEGA have shown themselves willing to shut down games that use their assets (Streets of Rage Remake), and have a particular dislike of fans of the older Force games. Differentiating your engine by using your own stuff will go a long way to protecting you and your work from coming under fire from a Cease and Desist order should they ever happen upon it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08 2014 1:59am
by Chaoswizard98
Yeah, I was planning on that for the future. Unfortunately I'm not good at creating sprites (unless recoloring counts lol) so I was putting that off till later. Personally I'm quite surprised that Sega is flagging videos on youtube and such, personally I'd be grateful to the fans for the free advertising...

Thanks for the heads up!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08 2014 2:13am
by DiegoMM
Very good work!!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08 2014 2:55am
by Tor_Heyerdal
It looks really good so far, dude. I'm impressed. Just out of curiosity, what method are you using for your AI pathfinding? A*, or something else?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08 2014 3:07am
by DiegoMM
Yes, chaoswizard and tor heyerdal, you two guys should have a good conversation about how to program yours projects :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08 2014 3:45am
by Chaoswizard98
Thanks for the support guys! I appreciate it!

@Tor_heyerdal, I used A* for the AI path finding. While it cycles through the function that calculates it's movement range (I actually used Dijkstra's algorithm for this part since it gives you the nearest tiles first) it also checks it's attack range at each tile to see if there are any players it can attack and adds that tile's X and Y value to an array. After the movement range is all calculated, if the array has numbers in it, it will pick the first or last one (I forget which it's been a while lol) and path find to that location where it runs the battle function.

Enemy AI isn't limited to warriors. Archers and spear centaurs (as well as any attack range for that matter) is built into the system. Since I didn't bother setting up an enemy archer sprite yet it isn't in the demo.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08 2014 5:32am
by Corsair
Oh. hey.

The other guys will probably have my hide for saying this, but all the work I've done for the Community Project is Creative Commons licensed so you're free to make use of it, as long as I'm credited. You'll have to shoot Stor or MXC a PM to get access to the subforum to actually see all of the stuff, but I have done a fairly decent number of sprites, portraits, and backgrounds that are free to use.

Here's a small set of samples:

Of course, my only focus right now is on that project, but if you want some minor edits done (palette swaps and the like.) just ask me.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08 2014 8:58am
by Tor_Heyerdal
Yes, chaoswizard and tor heyerdal, you two guys should have a good conversation about how to program yours projects

- DiegoMM

Well, I'm just a self-taught highschool dropout. He's in college, majoring in game design. I may have more to learn from him than he'd have to learn from me. I do have a unique perspective on things though, I guess. We shall see. :)

@Tor_heyerdal, I used A* for the AI path finding. While it cycles through the function that calculates it's movement range (I actually used Dijkstra's algorithm for this part since it gives you the nearest tiles first) it also checks it's attack range at each tile to see if there are any players it can attack and adds that tile's X and Y value to an array. After the movement range is all calculated, if the array has numbers in it, it will pick the first or last one (I forget which it's been a while lol) and path find to that location where it runs the battle function.

- Chaoswizard98

It sounds like you've done a very similar system to what I've done with my project. Definitely not the same, but similar. Instead of having it add the attack range while it's calculating the movement range, I have it so that it checks if there are any enemies standing within the movement range (acknowledging every "hit" in the sweep with a switch), and then after it's finished generating the movement tiles, it then does a second sweep of all the movement tiles that did end up getting placed, adding the attack range in every direction around those (acknowledging every "hit" in the sweep with a switch). After that, it does a fairly lengthy threat calculation on every target that got acknowledged (got their switches turned on), and tries to move to that target. If every possible attack point on that target is occupied by other sprites, then it turns off that target's acknowledgement switch, and recalculates threat on the remaining targets that are still acknowledged. If all potential targets turn out to be unattackable, then it moves as though there was never a target in range to begin with.

Of course, my only focus right now is on that project, but if you want some minor edits done (palette swaps and the like.) just ask me.

- Corsair

Well, I can definitely handle minor edits myself (and, most of the time, thoroughly enjoy doing so), but collecting the initial, unedited graphics is a huge pain. I don't suppose you have archives of unedited, high quality, original sprites, and tiles, and such, do you? If so, I'd love to have access to that (and when I say "original", I don't mean "originally created", I mean "from the original games"; in case that wasn't clear :P).

EDIT: Also, those graphics look incredible, Corsair. If that's the level of awesome that people here are used to seeing with the community project, then it's no wonder people have been bustin' my balls over some of my edits. xD Super well done.

EDIT: I just want to add, I think it's too bad that I can't get a video of my project up (even if I did, I'd keep it set to private), because my computer can't even run my project without lagging, let alone actually record it. It's SO SLOW. My project is extremely processor heavy for a game that's running on 11 year old software, and I have a really shoddy processor. lol. I've seen it running on my buddy's laptop though (which is not very good by today's standards, but still wrecks the crap out of my system), and it ran like a friggin' dream. It was very encouraging to see.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08 2014 3:30pm
by Chaoswizard98
-Corsair
o.o Those are freaking awesome! Ill have to check those out, thanks!

-Tor
Yeah your method seems very similar. I tried to simplify mine as much as possible, so I test if a space has an ally there before I test for attack range from that tile. If it's true then I skip the attack range test and save my computer a small bit of memory. The only way the memory save would even be noticeable though was if you had a terrible computer or if you had 1000 enemies and allies in your map and had a move range of 100000 or something lol.

As for the map tiles, I am working on a massive SF2 tile set. I'm starting mainly with the original tiles, but I've also been adding some custom ones as well. Mostly just minor edits such as color changing and spinning things around. The Viking town has some unique house designs so those will likely take some work. (And the ship needs a dragon head on it >.< I'll probably just re-skin a gargoyle or something lol)

Once I finish it I'll be sure to release it!

And if anyone ever has any questions on how to code something let me know and I'll see what I can do to help!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10 2014 4:03am
by Tor_Heyerdal
It's starting to look like 2014 is turning out to be "Year of the Homebrew Shining Force Demo". lol. This is what? Three projects now that have revealed actual progress in the last few months? It's like people have been waiting so long for this sort of stuff, and now we have like, this little explosion of demo releases. It's fantastic. If this project is as much of a lifelong dream project as mine is for me, then I see no reason to expect that Chaoswizard98 won't follow through with this project, and as such, I suggest that this ought to be stickied. This project may have only just revealed itself to us, but I think we can all agree that it's an extremely impressive first glimpse which (I think, at least) is just as promising as the other stickied projects in this section.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10 2014 7:55pm
by Caedmonball19
This is looking very promising. Great work Chaoswizard!

Tor: I agree with your 2014 assessment. I had someone a while back ask me if they could use my chibi sprites for another project. Hopefully that one comes to fruition as well.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11 2014 2:01am
by Chaoswizard98
Tor_Heyerdal wrote:It's starting to look like 2014 is turning out to be "Year of the Homebrew Shining Force Demo". If this project is as much of a lifelong dream project as mine is for me, then I see no reason to expect that Chaoswizard98 won't follow through with this project.

I'm fairly new so I only really know of yours, and the community project lol. As for a life long dream, it started when I was around 6 years old and I played shining force on Sega Smash Pack 2. I wanted to know what happened next so I wanted to make a sequel. I didn't know that the Gaiden series or SF2 existed at the time.

Since then, with various programming homework projects, I began to interconnect all the stories I came up with into 1 universe. A few of the main characters that I re-used in several assignments (A few of the starting characters in this game) have some pretty wild backstories. For about 4 years I've been developing the world and now I'll be bringing it to life in this game.

Right now the battle system is only lacking 2 things. Magic and items. (I would add leveling but I built that in already, I just didn't have the stat formulas so I left the gains at 0). My next step will be to add magic. Before I start working on that though, I'm going through the entirety of the existing code and optimizing it, making it as simple as possible.

Speaking of magic, does anyone know where to find SF2 Magic sprites? So far I've only found those from SF1.

Caedmonball19 wrote:This is looking very promising. Great work Chaoswizard!

Thanks for the support! My goal is to make the engine as close to the original SF games as possible. I want to also make the code as simple as possible so that once I'm done, others will be able to make SF fan games with ease. (I'm using GameMaker 8.1 for this project so that should simplify things such as map making and adding playable characters / enemies for those with less coding experience).

Edit: I just opened a binder that was filled with a bunch of my old stuff I made when I was little and I found my old Shining force 2 game plan LOL. Apparently I wanted to add the ability to dual wield lances XD

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11 2014 11:33pm
by Tor_Heyerdal
it started when I was around 6 years old and I played shining force on Sega Smash Pack 2.

-Chaoswizard98

Way to make me feel really, really old. xD

Speaking of magic, does anyone know where to find SF2 Magic sprites? So far I've only found those from SF1.

-Chaoswizard98

Yeah, I'd actually be extremely interested to know this too. So far, I've just been ripping the spell graphics myself. Which is, of course, a great, big, tedious job of tedium. lol. So if there is such an archive somewhere (in high quality .png, preferably), then I want access to it probably about as much as you do. lol.

Thanks for the support! My goal is to make the engine as close to the original SF games as possible. I want to also make the code as simple as possible so that once I'm done, others will be able to make SF fan games with ease. (I'm using GameMaker 8.1 for this project so that should simplify things such as map making and adding playable characters / enemies for those with less coding experience).

-Chaoswizard 98

Naturally, I also want my project to be as close to the original game(s) as possible, but there are some ways where it just *isn't* possible. Like the fact that I'm using 16x16 pixel tiles instead of 24x24 pixel tiles because of the limitations of RM2K3 (and every other version, for that matter). Sometimes I wonder if there would be some way to hack the editor into changing the tilesize to 24x24, but I doubt it. As far as I'm aware, the actual coding for the editor is all in Japanese, and it would probably have to be changed in literally hundreds of places. So I guess I'm stuck with 16x16. But that's okay with me. It didn't bother any of us when the series used 16x16 tiles in the Game Gear versions, right? :)
And I doubt very much that my code will be very simple, but I'm leaving all of my "Comment" commands in place so that other people can try to reverse engineer it if they want.

I just opened a binder that was filled with a bunch of my old stuff I made when I was little and I found my old Shining force 2 game plan LOL. Apparently I wanted to add the ability to dual wield lances XD

-Chaoswizard98

Okay... That's hilarious. xD I can see why a kid would think that would be cool though. A child would be likely to either not understand or not care about the immense impracticality of such a feat. :P I probably would've thought that would be badass when I was little too. lol.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12 2014 2:35am
by Chaoswizard98
Tor_Heyerdal wrote:Way to make me feel really, really old. xD

Your only 3 years older than me lol.

For the magic sprites, (since the Caravan tool renders them kinda strangely and I'd rather not spend hours on a crazy puzzle lol) I will probably end up ripping them myself via turning off all the layers except magic and screen recording it. Then I'll frame by frame grab all the unique positions, remove the background color, and recolor it using the color palate from the caravan tool to fix the transparency.

In theory it should work, (and it would be quicker than solving a giant puzzle!) however it may have minor scaling issues. I may or may not be able to fix that.

Tor_Heyerdal wrote:there are some ways where it just *isn't* possible. Like the fact that I'm using 16x16 pixel tiles instead of 24x24 pixel tiles because of the limitations of RM2K3

So RPGmaker can only use 16X16 sprites? I could see that as being a significant limitation. So far my only limitation with GameMaker is its audio functionality. Wave files have a bunch of functionality but any other file (including Wave files that were converted from mp3) have almost none. This means I cant change the BGM music volume without external editors. Hence the "set your computer volume to 20%" warning. I cant use BGM in Wave format either due to their huge file size. I wouldn't want to have a long load time or lag or memory issues.

As for the Double lance idea I had when I was 6, I must have figured that "hey the knight has 2 hands". Having 2 +40 weapons would be a little over powered. lol

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12 2014 8:10am
by Tor_Heyerdal
Your only 3 years older than me lol.

Wait, what? So that thing existed when I was nine? No way. Damn.

For the magic sprites, (since the Caravan tool renders them kinda strangely and I'd rather not spend hours on a crazy puzzle lol) I will probably end up ripping them myself via turning off all the layers except magic and screen recording it. Then I'll frame by frame grab all the unique positions, remove the background color, and recolor it using the color palate from the caravan tool to fix the transparency.

Yeah, I'll be doing more or less the same thing for the more intricate spell animations. For the simpler animations (like heal/blaze1), I'm actually sequencing out the animations manually.

So RPGmaker can only use 16X16 sprites? I could see that as being a significant limitation.

No, the sprites are strictly limited to 24x32. It's the tiles that are limited to 16x16 (maybe sprites and tiles are the same thing in GM (never used it), but they're separate in RPGM).

This means I cant change the BGM music volume without external editors. Hence the "set your computer volume to 20%" warning. I cant use BGM in Wave format either due to their huge file size. I wouldn't want to have a long load time or lag or memory issues.

I can't change the volume on things either (except in certain situations) because I need to have it remember BGMs so it can play it again, but when RPGM "remembers" a BGM, it doesn't remember what volume it was at, and just plays it at 100%.

As for the Double lance idea I had when I was 6, I must have figured that "hey the knight has 2 hands". Having 2 +40 weapons would be a little over powered. lol

Yeah, but kids love OP-ness, eh? =P

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12 2014 2:34pm
by Chaoswizard98
Tor_Heyerdal wrote:No, the sprites are strictly limited to 24x32. It's the tiles that are limited to 16x16 (maybe sprites and tiles are the same thing in GM (never used it), but they're separate in RPGM).

Sprites are the visual pictures that you see in game. Whether they be tiles, backgrounds, or objects.

A tile has a sprite, a depth value, and an X / Y value.

A background usually contains a very large sprite. (although many just call this a background)
Tiles are made from backgrounds. They are the result of cutting up said background into equal pieces.

An object usually contains a sprite (unless its invisible or a controller object ect.) amongst other things.

At least that's what we learned, I had an 80 year old professor teaching game design so... you never know lol.

About your sound problem, can't you tell it to play at X volume though? For BGM it is usually the same volume every time it's heard. You could in theory test for the name of the music and set it's volume based on that. Unless you have no way of testing for names, or no play music at X level option. If (music1){ play at X volume} Else if(music2){ play at Y volume}

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12 2014 10:10pm
by Tor_Heyerdal
Sprites are the visual pictures that you see in game. Whether they be tiles, backgrounds, or objects.

A tile has a sprite, a depth value, and an X / Y value.

A background usually contains a very large sprite. (although many just call this a background)
Tiles are made from backgrounds. They are the result of cutting up said background into equal pieces.

An object usually contains a sprite (unless its invisible or a controller object ect.) amongst other things.

That's all well and good, and makes perfect sense, but RPGM just simply doesn't treat any of those things that way. lol. Sprites come on a sprite sheet, tiles come on a tile sheet, and "objects" are called "events". An event consists of a sprite (for the visual form it will take in-game), which can be either a sprite or a tile, and a self-contained script that will run when that event is interacted with, as well as a trigger specifier for how it will be caused to run the script. Events are placed on top of tiles, and tiles have two layers, with events acting as a third layer.

About your sound problem, can't you tell it to play at X volume though? For BGM it is usually the same volume every time it's heard. You could in theory test for the name of the music and set it's volume based on that. Unless you have no way of testing for names, or no play music at X level option. If (music1){ play at X volume} Else if(music2){ play at Y volume}

It can play BGM at volume level X, but it cannot play *remembered* BGM at volume X. Only play remembered BGM, just period. And that puts it at 100%. And I have to have it remember the BGM and play the remembered BGM at the beginning and end of each animated attack sequence. Also, RPGM has no way of testing for names. There's no such thing as a "string" in RPGM. At least in 2k3 or under. There may be in the newer versions.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12 2014 11:37pm
by Chaoswizard98
Tor_Heyerdal wrote:That's all well and good, and makes perfect sense, but RPGM just simply doesn't treat any of those things that way. lol. Sprites come on a sprite sheet, tiles come on a tile sheet, and "objects" are called "events". An event consists of a sprite (for the visual form it will take in-game), which can be either a sprite or a tile, and a self-contained script that will run when that event is interacted with, as well as a trigger specifier for how it will be caused to run the script. Events are placed on top of tiles, and tiles have two layers, with events acting as a third layer.

Sounds like you have WAY more restrictions than I do. Good luck lol.

As for the sound, every time you "remember BGM" couldn't you just save a variable "music_name" instead? Then just call that back and test for the "music_name" state in a nested If else statement?

For SF2 Spell sprites, I'm working on ripping them via puzzle method. The screenshot method proved too difficult due to the spell's alpha value changing... I'm almost done with the bolt spell lol. After I finish them all, I'll post a download link.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13 2014 8:19am
by Tor_Heyerdal
Sounds like you have WAY more restrictions than I do. Good luck lol.

Thanks. And yeah, I'm pretty sure that's probably the case.

As for the sound, every time you "remember BGM" couldn't you just save a variable "music_name" instead? Then just call that back and test for the "music_name" state in a nested If else statement?

Hmmm. Yeah, I suppose so. Seems like a lot of effort to turn the volume down 5% though. lol. I think it'd be easier to just adjust the mp3. lol.

For SF2 Spell sprites, I'm working on ripping them via puzzle method. The screenshot method proved too difficult due to the spell's alpha value changing... I'm almost done with the bolt spell lol. After I finish them all, I'll post a download link.

Can you not isolate the spell animations onto a black background by turning off all the other layers in the emulator? If the background is pure black, then the alpha values shouldn't really matter (which is what I've been doing).

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13 2014 5:31pm
by DiegoMM
Guys in wolfgangs guides and moggie guides (links in Shining Force Central area for the games) you can find animated gifs from magic and others sprites of the shining series. You can split the gifs in images using this site:
http://picasion.com/split-animated-gif/

Is it not the same as ripping them from the game?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13 2014 8:00pm
by Chaoswizard98
Tor_Heyerdal wrote:Can you not isolate the spell animations onto a black background by turning off all the other layers in the emulator? If the background is pure black, then the alpha values shouldn't really matter (which is what I've been doing).

I tried that but the colors are off and blended into the background. I guess I should have used the term, Anti-Aliasing. I'll try disabling it to see if that helps, if not, more puzzles >.<

DiegoMM wrote:Guys in wolfgangs guides and moggie guides (links in Shining Force Central area for the games) you can find animated gifs from magic and others sprites of the shining series. You can split the gifs in images using this site:

I've seen the SF1 magic sprites, but nothing from SF2. I could just be looking in the wrong place though.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13 2014 10:22pm
by DiegoMM
http://rpg-home.lunar-net.com/sfii-web/index.html

check this, in the spell casting characters page.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13 2014 11:34pm
by Tor_Heyerdal
Guys in wolfgangs guides and moggie guides (links in Shining Force Central area for the games) you can find animated gifs from magic and others sprites of the shining series. You can split the gifs in images using this site:

http://rpg-home.lunar-net.com/sfii-web/index.html

check this, in the spell casting characters page.

-DiegoMM

Absolutely not (as much as I appreciate the thought). All such .gifs that you'll find floating about the interwebs are imperfect. They're missing frames (just look at Kazin's Blaze cast in that site you linked, those fireballs should have many more frames before reaching the ground, and note that the Desoul animation on the same page only shows the animation for an unsuccessful Desoul. Also note that those are the only two spell animations on the page), or they have too much black around the edges, or not enough, or the colours get messed up in the upload, or various things will be in the wrong spot (just look at Kazin nudging over in his Blaze cast in that site you linked; how could I feel confident that anything else in said animation will be in the right place?), or whatever else. Furthermore, I'm pretty sure that there's no complete collection of every animation for every rank of every spell in every pre-III SF title. At best, these .gifs can be used as a loose guideline in most instances.

I tried that but the colors are off and blended into the background. I guess I should have used the term, Anti-Aliasing. I'll try disabling it to see if that helps, if not, more puzzles >.<

Strange, I've never had that problem. As I'm sure you've seen, they look fine in my project, and that's how I've been doing it. Although it's critical that one uses no visual filters at all, and that a proper 4:3 aspect ratio is maintained, and that the video render isn't stretched. Otherwise, the colours will be off, and they'll blend into the background. lol. =P If you already are doing it that way, then I dunno' what's what with that.

EDIT: Hey, I just realized that I've broken 200 posts now. Nifty. =P

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14 2014 12:58am
by Chaoswizard98
Found the issue, apparently the print screen button doesn't capture the frames perfectly. Gens built in screenshot feature does though. I think I have all the sprites ripped (or most). All that is left for the spells is freeze I think. Unfortunately my Chaz is only level 20... Power grinding time!

Although, you mentioned desoul having a unique animation for a successful desoul? I never noticed that. Ill track that down too I guess. Any mobs in particular more vulnerable to it?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14 2014 1:44am
by Tor_Heyerdal
Found the issue, apparently the print screen button doesn't capture the frames perfectly. Gens built in screenshot feature does though. I think I have all the sprites ripped (or most). All that is left for the spells is freeze I think. Unfortunately my Chaz is only level 20... Power grinding time!

-Chaoswizard98

Weird. My print screen button captures the frames just fine. Maybe your video card just doesn't like the way Gens renders its video, and something wonky is happening? ::shrug:: At least you've found a method that works.

Although, you mentioned desoul having a unique animation for a successful desoul? I never noticed that. Ill track that down too I guess. Any mobs in particular more vulnerable to it?

-Chaoswizard98

Yeah, when a Desoul is successful, the reaper will actually strike down at the target beneath him with his scythe. And while I have no conclusive evidence of the following, it's always seemed to me like humanoid mobs are more vulnerable to it (I even Desouled the Red Baron once. He was at full HP, and I was down to my last few party members. I was a kid at the time, so this was a long-ass time ago. There's no way I'd ever be down to my last few party members in SF2 these days (except for maybe at the Chess fight). lol. I've never really tried to do it again though, because I just can't bring myself to let all that exp go to waste =P). I've also observed that animated enemies (skeletons, zombies, robots, etc.) seem to be immune to it. If someone out there can confirm or disconfirm this, that'd be cool.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14 2014 3:28pm
by Chaoswizard98
I should have all the magic sprites ripped either today or tomorrow. Depends on schoolwork.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14 2014 7:45pm
by Tor_Heyerdal
I should have all the magic sprites ripped either today or tomorrow. Depends on schoolwork.

Seriously? That's like, hundreds (if not thousands) of frames. You're gonna' rip all of that in a day? Are you like, *actually* Sir Astral in real life or something? xD

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14 2014 11:39pm
by Chaoswizard98
Tor_Heyerdal wrote:Seriously? That's like, hundreds (if not thousands) of frames. You're gonna' rip all of that in a day? Are you like, *actually* Sir Astral in real life or something? xD

Yes to all of the above.

You are mistaking frames and sprites though. Combining every level of the blaze spell there are 18 sprites. Each spell only uses a portion of these. Blaze 1 uses 2 sprites, blaze 2 and 3 use 6., and blaze 4 uses 10.
A sprite is each unique piece of the spell. So with blaze, 2 for the fire, 2 for the fireballs, 2 for the fireball impact, and 4 for the dragon.

A frame is if you take a screenshot of the spell. If you took a bunch of screenshots from start to finish of a cast, you would technically have a working animation, however spells aren't that simple. They always have the same start and end frames but the middle frames are different. With blaze, the fireballs rain randomly. If you cast the spell several times you will notice its randomness. Setting up a looping animation via frames would be very difficult since animation length is never constant. It is always changed by the amount of enemies in the spell's range, game speed, and if you are holding the speed up (select) button or not.

This isn't just blaze, it is all the offensive spells.

In order to set up the spells for battle animation, you'll have to play the stationary part first (This is the fire, the electric balls, and the tornado) and keep that looped. Then you would create a ready made animation with the other bits. (So a single fireball falling down and exploding). Then as the spell played, you would draw the single fireball animations at random X values within your battle scene. You can also set limits on how many can be on the screen at once to prevent overkill. When the battle scene comes to an end, you would simply not create any more fireballs. And after X seconds (the time it takes for fireballs to complete their animation) you would stop displaying the background fire and continue with the battle scene.

Edit: All the sprites are ripped, All that's left to do now is to fix some of the sprites. Changing the black background removes bits of the sprites. After I fix that I'll upload it. (So probably tomorrow).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15 2014 6:05pm
by Corsair
Bingo. No need to have each individual frame. Just need ro animate the individual sprites, of which there are not that many.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15 2014 11:26pm
by Chaoswizard98
Ok This should be every magic sprite in shining force 2. Palates may be slightly off due to the method they were ripped however they should be pretty close. Use as you like.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-F-g- ... sp=sharing

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16 2014 12:32am
by Stordarth
Nice.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17 2014 4:13pm
by Chaoswizard98
Just finished optimizing the game's code. I managed to remove around 4000 lines of code and made lots of things simpler for the future game engine release. My goal for the game engine is to have it be as simple as possible and require little to no coding experience to make a semi decent SF game.

Character creation now involves almost 0 coding whatsoever (The little coding that exists is copy paste 3 lines of code and rename).

Land effect cells are now color coded and will automatically turn invisible when the game starts. (You used to have to do this manually).

Battle levels are no longer hardcoded. The battle info is now stored via the room's global variables (Things like map size and battle number). Basically this means that if you wanted to create a new level, all you'd have to do is set the map dimensions, and tell it what battle number it is.

Since GameMaker is very user friendly already, Map creation is basically all GUI oriented. So you just draw the map using the tiles, plop the land effect cells over those, then add the controllers and characters.

I wanted to optimize the code before I started working on magic, leveling, and items since those will require more coding than the previous implementations. Time to start on magic (wewt! I'll finally be able to heal my characters).

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17 2014 10:33pm
by Tor_Heyerdal
That sheet is great. I'm definitely gonna' use this. Also, thanks for the info. I didn't realize all that (like the random element in Blaze and all that). That's extremely good to know.
And yeah, I got a little mixed up by your exact meaning of sprite/shot/frame. We have the same idea of a shot and a frame, but different ideas of sprites, so there was a little mix-up there. I see what you mean now though.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18 2014 5:35am
by Corsair
nice work grabbing all the individual frames!

But, just out of curiosity, why do sprite sheets often have that eyerape pink (sometimes green) background color?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18 2014 7:14am
by Tor_Heyerdal
But, just out of curiosity, why do sprite sheets often have that eyerape pink (sometimes green) background color?

Because they're so eye-wrenching that no one is very likely to want to use them in any of their graphics, so they're a good choice for the transparency colour (which must be unique from any other colour on the palette), because it's no waste to let that terrible colour go and become undisplayable in the image (because it will show as fully transparent).
In other words, one of your colours on the 256 colour palette have to be a colour that no one will ever see, so it might as well be a colour that you'll never want to use.
Also, they highly contrast against most things (when they're not, you'd use the green or yellow or some other colour, but most of the time, the pink is highly contrastive), so it makes it easy to see what's transparent and what's not, and if your edges are good, and all that.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18 2014 1:49pm
by Chaoswizard98
Basically what Tor said. You pick a color that isn't used anywhere in the sprites this way you can easily remove the background leaving you with just the sprites. Think of it as a green screen lol.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18 2014 2:11pm
by Corsair
I guess that makes sense if you're not doing a whole lot of direct editing of the sprites or messing with colors and stuff.

It just goes against what I've learned about spriting/art in general, especially if you're doing any color work at all. I I tend to use background colors that are less visually intense to reduce eye strain and prevent the background color from influencing the light/dark tendency of the thing I'm working on, to make the sprite pop out more than the background. For example:

It really doesn't matter that much unless you're on the editing end of things.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20 2014 3:18pm
by Chaoswizard98
@Corsair: Yeah that makes sense. I don't do much spriting (or art), the only thing I've done in regards to that is changing the palates. (The change every pixel with color really helps lol). GameMaker's built in editor allows for transparent backgrounds. So the bright eye-shattering pink was the last thing I added lol.

Game Update.
Improved enemy AI. They now have a search range that encompasses an area greater than their movement range. If the player is within that area, enemies will move towards them. This is very easily modifiable, and with minor tweaking, you'll be able to give different enemies different AI ranges. (and different AI per battle).
(Thanks Tor for the help!)

Battle backgrounds and foregrounds also change based on terrain type now.

I made some progress with the SF2 styled ranged attacks as well (the enemy and the player aren't on the same screen and there's that transition background in between the 2) although that isn't working yet.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21 2014 1:33am
by DiegoMM
@Chaoswizard98 Uhuuuu \o/

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21 2014 4:09am
by Chaoswizard98
Next update should have magic, a finished battle cut-scene system, minor improvements (basically anything else I feel like adding), and possibly the ability to level up if I feel like working on it. This leaves items, and the ability to check the stats of characters during a battle. Since Items are basically a copy paste of magic, and I already have most of the stat pages working (these were implemented a long time ago just removed temporarily to add the turn system) the battle portion of the game should be basically done after this update.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21 2014 2:59pm
by Caedmonball19
Sounds like you are making great progress. Well done. I'm looking forward to the next video update.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21 2014 5:12pm
by Chaoswizard98
I'll definitely be releasing a video with every playable update. Generally I like to get something major working before I release the next version (in this case magic). Things such as level design, dialogue, sprite sheets ect, I also work on however they usually aren't apparent unless I specifically talk about those things.

Most of the things that I don't have implemented yet are actually planned out in some way. For example, I have a pretty good idea on how I'll implement the expanding HP / MP bar, it just isn't a priority right now, so I'll add that when I feel like working on it. These things generally fall under the (minor improvements) section of my previous post.

Aiming to have the engine mostly working by summer. Depends on schoolwork ect.

Edit: Ranged attacks now play properly (they have the SF2 style transition). It can also tell the difference between a centaur spear throw vs stab.

Edit (11/5/14): Adding battle animations is no longer a painful if / else mess. You can now add the 3 battle sprites (Idle, attack, and block) with 0 coding knowledge.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06 2014 5:27am
by Broked
This looks awesome! You've done a great job emulating the look-and-feel of the original game. I'm excited to see your progress.

I am curious how you are liking Gamemaker? Do you feel that there are adequate tools to facilitate making a "full" game as far things like plot progression, cut-scenes and map "triggers"?

Also, you've mentioned trying to make creating similar games with your engine user-friendly; to what extent do you intend the engine to be modifiable?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06 2014 4:09pm
by Chaoswizard98
Broked wrote:I am curious how you are liking Gamemaker? Do you feel that there are adequate tools to facilitate making a "full" game as far things like plot progression, cut-scenes and map "triggers"?

Definitely. It's super easy to use and there are very few limitations. So far the only limitation that I have run into is Gamemaker's sound engine. You can modify the volume of .wav sounds very easily however mp3's you have 0 functionality for aside from playing them. I could render music as .wav (allowing me to fade music, adjust volume ect) however wav files are much bigger and suck up more memory. If volume is an issue, you can manually adjust the volume in an external sound editor.

Broked wrote:Also, you've mentioned trying to make creating similar games with your engine user-friendly; to what extent do you intend the engine to be modifiable?

I'm trying to make it as simple and readable as I can so that people with little to no coding experience can create a Shining game with ease. There shouldn't be anything preventing you from modifying the engine to suit your needs as long as you have coding experience. I will be commenting my code to make it as readable as possible.

Gamemaker doesn't have too many limitations and it is very easy to learn. If for whatever reason you ran into a limitation, there is a way to program a dll file for it and tell GM how to deal with the issue in the way that you want it to. I haven't looked much into dll's but I know it's possible.

And as a note, I'm using Gamemaker 8.1 Standard. It most likely wont work with the new expensive studio version without recoding a few things due to the change in function names ect.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06 2014 7:39pm
by Broked
I'm glad to hear that your focusing on "user-friendliness" from the start, I think it will save you a ton of headaches in the future. One of the biggest problems I've had with the community project is making tooling for game content that doesn't require coding and is intuitive to use. It sounds like I should take a look at Gamemaker for pointers in that regard.

It sounds like you and I will probably run into the same types of challenges over the course of development so feel free to PM me if you're looking for a sounding board.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07 2014 2:11am
by Chaoswizard98
Broked wrote:I'm glad to hear that your focusing on "user-friendliness" from the start, I think it will save you a ton of headaches in the future.

Yeah, it has saved me a ton of headaches. My biggest problem is when I finish working on 1 function for a while, then come back to it and have no clue how it works lol.

For things that I know myself and other people will use a lot, (Such as adding new Characters / Enemies, Spells, Terrain, ect) I spend more time figuring out how to make it as simple as possible than other things most people won't modify.

For things that the average person wont modify (AI options, battle cut-scene code, movement code, most things every shining game has in common) I still simplify them but if you want to modify them you'll have to know some programming. Either way I leave my comments in place for people to know what they are looking at if they wanted to add / improve / change anything.

Broked wrote:It sounds like you and I will probably run into the same types of challenges over the course of development so feel free to PM me if you're looking for a sounding board.

Will do but... what's a sounding board? I'm unfamiliar with the term.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07 2014 5:51am
by Corsair
Someone to reflect ideas back and forth with.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07 2014 5:13pm
by Chaoswizard98
Corsair wrote:Someone to reflect ideas back and forth with.

Ok that makes sense. Thanks for the clarification.

I may release an update video soon. Normally I'd do this only with a playable release but seeing as I've done a ton of stuff since then, I figured I might as well make another video.

Edit: Video postponed until I fix this AI bug.

Edit: Fixed the AI bug (I think), I also fixed a minor visual bug with the new AI (resetting the cursor glow frame state when changing phases of the AI). Should have a video out soon!

Edit: The video update might be a while, 2 essays and a final paper to write as well as a bunch of other stuff. The magic menu system is working at nearly 100%. The only thing left to add is the spell effect radius. I haven't stated on the magic battle cutscene code yet. Since there is so much more that goes into spells (every spell having a different animation, and attack radius, ect) I'm still working on finding the simplest solution.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19 2014 3:47pm
by Caedmonball19
Inserting a reply so you don't have to keep editing your last post :)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21 2014 9:19pm
by Chaoswizard98
Caedmonball19 wrote:Inserting a reply so you don't have to keep editing your last post :)

Thanks lol

Magic only needs animating and adding to the battle code. But since that is a pain, I decided to take a break from magic and work on the beginning of the game a bit.

I finished writing the beginning of the game and most of its dialogue. I layed out the basic shape of the starting town but its far from done. Since I only wanted the basic layout of the town I didn't care about decorating, sprite details, ect. Later on it will look like 4 nukes, 3 armies, and Godzilla blew through the town.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22 2014 1:58am
by DiegoMM
Wow, very nice man. You have all the tileset ripped already? Are you gonna use sf1, sf2 or sfcd tilesets? or all of them?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22 2014 3:56pm
by Chaoswizard98
DiegoMM wrote:Wow, very nice man. You have all the tileset ripped already? Are you gonna use sf1, sf2 or sfcd tilesets? or all of them?

The tileset is not totally finished yet since I have to create a bunch of custom tiles for it. If you want the original SF tiles right now, VGMaps.com has all the maps from both games ripped so you could rip those apart into the tiles you need (which is basically what I'm doing).

I will be using a mix of all of them for the game as well as re-skinned, re-textured, some totally custom, tiles. It depends on the map / area.

Magic Stuff:

Edit: Town stuff is officially under way! Force members can follow you (Peter / Astral following Bowie). I have a very lite save / load system working to keep track of Force member stats for the force list menu. The final save file will be able to be opened via notepad for those who want to do things like enable all force members at the start of the game ect. The Menu's themselves are just time consuming as they are nothing more than counting pixels and lining stuff up properly. (1/20/15).

Edit: Force Stage 1 is working! Images in the spoilers below. (1/21/15)

You can scroll through the list of force members (currently 6). Last thing to add to the Force list is the ability to click on a character to see their full stat sheet.

Edit: Force list is now 100% working. (1/28/15)

Edit: Well, I'm finally working on the legit beginning of the game rather than a borrowed map from SF. You can now travel between maps (such as walking down stairs). I also have a solution to make exploring the world map work the same way as SF2 and it transitions nicely (Walking to the edge of a map shifts the screen to the new map). It works, but will not be present in alpha (since it wont be used in the beginning of the game).

Cut-scenes are still a pain so I'm working on making them a little easier to make. Character portraits animate while chat is played now. Characters now have an "In_Force" tag, meaning you can officially recruit members to the force. (Or kick them out if you really wanted to...)
50% of the first cut-scene is done.

Edit: Cutscenes are now nice and easy to make if you know basic coding. Likely I will add something for non coders in the future, but for now it serves it's purpose. I also have items and shops somewhat planned out so when I get around to it, that should be added. Currently everything (aside from AI expanding, and Wandering villagers is planned out or implemented in some way). 2/11/15

Edit: Item Inventory is working now. Items will display properly on the character's stats page. The item will also show if it is equipped or not. There isn't a way to actually equip or use items yet. That will be next. (3/12/15)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19 2015 3:03am
by Tyadran
Just wanted to express my support for this engine (hopefully we'll get our own hands on it some day :D) and allow you to stop editing your last post. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21 2015 5:19pm
by Stordarth
... How did Anri get my banhammer?! :angry:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22 2015 3:34pm
by Chaoswizard98
Tyadran wrote:Just wanted to express my support for this engine (hopefully we'll get our own hands on it some day :D) and allow you to stop editing your last post. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the support! As a wild estimate, I'm hoping to have the engine complete sometime this year. This of course depends on schoolwork (AI class is a pain!) and other things. I'm hoping to have a playable Alpha demo out early summer. The alpha demo will include everything up to the beginning of battle 3.

I do plan on releasing the engine once It's finished. That being said, after I finish the engine itself, I'll likely do a massive code re-write to get everything cleaned up as well as store all the Internal Game Options in 1 place so you can easily configure your game without having to go through all my code trying to find out how to change things.

No matter how busy I am, I always try to find time to work on this project. Hurray for progress!

As far as battle mechanics go, all that's left to add is Items, being able to check stats with the cursor, and expanding enemy AI. Oh and leveling up, that's pretty important too yet I always manage to forget about it >.<

Town stuff still has a ways to go, but that stuff is way easier to add than the battle code stuff. 99% of it is annoying menu stuff. Easy to code, but very boring lol. Status menu functions are all done. Item menu functions are 50% done. Use and Drop work, however since I don't have any items with effects yet, you'll only get a "But nothing happens" message when using an item.

Force members can legitimately "Join" the team via talking to them, cut-scenes, scripts ect. They will also follow you around town the same way as Peter following Bowie. Cut-scenes, yes no menus, and room changing are also done. I also added a "Game Speed" option that is used to display message text faster.

Stordarth wrote:... How did Anri get my banhammer?! :angry:

She got it at the Black Market in the desert city Menoufis when we were searching for the translation tablet in order to decode some ancient texts. The guy sold her this cheat code. :)

Anyways, here's some screenshots of things not seen during my latest update video. Including a teaser for battle 2. (Force and Enemies are placeholders until I finish the legit sprites)

Thanks again for the support guys!

Edit: It will likely be a while before my next major update. Currently I'm doing a massive code re-write to simplify a ton of things and to clean up some code I haven't touched in a year. This will make the future implementations, and modding in general a lot easier. (4/14/15)

Edit: I'm still busy with final projects but the re-code continues! (4/27/15)
+ Added force start location objects. This means the battle party is no longer hardcoded. Place 12 of these on the map and they will automatically fill with your battle party or destroy themselves if you don't have enough characters to fill them.

- Removed Pathfinding bug due to missing a line of code I redid ages ago.
- Players will no longer walk through enemies or blocked tiles to get back to their start location.
- Recoded movement and attack range calculations to be more global.
- Recoded the player object. If performance was an issue, this would have helped.

- Tested on Windows 98, Windows XP, Windows 7, and Windows 8. It runs fine on all of them. :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28 2015 4:24pm
by GreenOnion
Hey! just wanted to say i am a huge fan of shining force, and im vary exited about your project.
i have always wanted to redesign a rpg game not to mention shining force but the scripting always put me off :P
so im super happy to hear about hat you're doing :excited: keep up the awsome work!!!

PostPosted: Mon May 11 2015 11:49pm
by Chaoswizard98
GreenOnion wrote:Hey! just wanted to say i am a huge fan of shining force, and im vary exited about your project.
i have always wanted to redesign a rpg game not to mention shining force but the scripting always put me off :P
so im super happy to hear about hat you're doing :excited: keep up the awsome work!!!

Oh hey, sorry for the late reply. Schoolwork has been super busy lately. Fortunately next week is finals then summer break!

I finally have more time to work on this project again and so far the re-code is coming along nicely. Most of my code cleanup won't be noticeable, since functionality basically stays the same. I did add a few things since last time though.

Basically I built in some placeholder "event" points to the code, which will be used when I eventually add things like moving the cursor around the map, making the battle HUD and menu's slide when you trigger them, and other functions I haven't added yet.

I also split the function of backing out of the battle choice menu (attack, stay, magic, items) into 2 parts. It used to walk your character back to their start space, then allow you to move again. Now it will allow you to move again upon first "back button" press, and on a second press it will walk your character back to their start location.

Thanks for the support!

PostPosted: Tue May 12 2015 12:21am
by Tyadran
Good to hear this is still a thing that's happening. Also good to hear that you'll have finals soon and maybe we'll see more activity with this. :)

The choice back out split sounds great, improves functionality a bit. Maybe not an absolutely necessary change, but all the better to make it much smoother. Plus I'm a huge fan of little details like that.

PostPosted: Tue May 12 2015 1:34am
by Chaoswizard98
Tyadran wrote:Good to hear this is still a thing that's happening. Also good to hear that you'll have finals soon and maybe we'll see more activity with this. :)

The choice back out split sounds great, improves functionality a bit. Maybe not an absolutely necessary change, but all the better to make it much smoother. Plus I'm a huge fan of little details like that.

I can confirm "we'll see more activity with this"
I bring you my latest creation, Health and Mana Bars :)

The HUD frame is not adjustable yet, so gaining HP / MP wont expand the frame any. That's still to come.
Next up, scrolling menus. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Tue May 12 2015 1:38am
by Tyadran
*gasp* HP/MP bars? We're living the high life now! :excited:
Also, will class name be displayed in that box as well, as usual? Or is that just too funky to make work?

PostPosted: Tue May 12 2015 1:52am
by Chaoswizard98
Tyadran wrote:*gasp* HP/MP bars? We're living the high life now! :excited:
Also, will class name be displayed in that box as well, as usual? Or is that just too funky to make work?

Oh THAT'S why my battle HUD looked funky. I knew something was wrong with it but I couldn't pinpoint it. With the amount of Shining force I play, I can't believe I missed that lol.

*Fixed it already*

Thanks for pointing that out :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Tue May 12 2015 1:55am
by Tyadran
Oh, no problem. Glad I noticed. In that case, SF1 displays a 'L' just before the level number (like L1, L2, etc.). I can't remember if/how the others do it off the top of my head, since I'm a SF1 guy, but I thought I'd bring it up just in case.

PostPosted: Tue May 12 2015 2:05am
by Nyttelost
Tyadran wrote:Oh, no problem. Glad I noticed. In that case, SF1 displays a 'L' just before the level number (like L1, L2, etc.). I can't remember if/how the others do it off the top of my head, since I'm a SF1 guy, but I thought I'd bring it up just in case.

Just loaded up a SF2 save I'm working on. It's like the class then level, like SDMN7. Adding the "L" and/or a space after the class might make it easier to read.

PostPosted: Tue May 12 2015 2:07am
by Chaoswizard98
Tyadran wrote:Oh, no problem. Glad I noticed. In that case, SF1 displays a 'L' just before the level number (like L1, L2, etc.). I can't remember if/how the others do it off the top of my head, since I'm a SF1 guy, but I thought I'd bring it up just in case.

Double checked SF2 just in case. It doesn't have the L. If for whatever reason you wanted to add the L or change the HUD in any way, my "DrawBattleHud()" script is pretty straightforward and commented :thumbsup:

Edit: Nyttelost, You beat me to it lol.

PostPosted: Tue May 12 2015 2:10am
by Tyadran
Chaoswizard98 wrote:Double checked SF2 just in case. It doesn't have the L. If for whatever reason you wanted to add the L or change the HUD in any way, my "DrawBattleHud()" script is pretty straightforward and commented :thumbsup:

Awesome, perfectly fine with me. There were a handful of things I didn't like about SF2, and that formatting was one of them. :blush:

PostPosted: Wed May 13 2015 12:52am
by Chaoswizard98
Tyadran wrote:*gasp* HP/MP bars? We're living the high life now! :excited:

Living the High(er) life now!

The HUD window still doesn't expand by itself yet. That's next.

PostPosted: Wed May 13 2015 1:03am
by Tyadran
We are nearing the highest of lives. :excited:
Even without auto-expanding, this is looking fantastic.

PostPosted: Fri May 15 2015 2:34am
by Chaoswizard98
Okay this took way longer than expected (simple coding mistakes always take hours to find :damnit: ) but I finally got it done.

I added the black HP bar cap which will not go down unless under 300 HP (where it switches to blue). You can also add more bars if you wanted to though I think SF2's 5 bar cap is enough.

I got sliding menu's working, and the battle HUD will expand based on character name, HP bar, or MP bar, whichever is longest.

And I got the turn order system working. Turn order works the same way SF2 works. Each character has their agility multiplied by a random value between +-50% and the list is sorted. Double turns are not fully implemented yet, but I did account for it.

The major change between my code and SF2 in regards to double turns, is that rather than make an enemies agility 100 or higher, I just use a "DoubleTurn = true/false" variable. This way you can allow for players to have double turns as well if you wanted to. (There's a commented out part of code that enables players to have double turns if they have 100+ agility)

PostPosted: Fri May 15 2015 4:09am
by Tyadran
Chaoswizard98 wrote:I added the black HP bar cap which will not go down unless under 300 HP (where it switches to blue). You can also add more bars if you wanted to though I think SF2's 5 bar cap is enough.

I got sliding menu's working, and the battle HUD will expand based on character name, HP bar, or MP bar, whichever is longest.

The major change between my code and SF2 in regards to double turns, is that rather than make an enemies agility 100 or higher, I just use a "DoubleTurn = true/false" variable. This way you can allow for players to have double turns as well if you wanted to. (There's a commented out part of code that enables players to have double turns if they have 100+ agility)

Woohoo, all sounds like good stuff! 5 bars does sound like plenty, but who knows for, say, secret bosses or something. :shifty:

Sliding menus and battle HUD are fantastic aesthetic developments. I approve. :thumbsup:

I also like that way of doing double turns. Are the double turns planned to be one after another or...? Like, what is the timing on those? A few turns later? A set AGI later? :confused:

PostPosted: Fri May 15 2015 9:07pm
by Chaoswizard98
Tyadran wrote:Are the double turns planned to be one after another or...? Like, what is the timing on those? A few turns later? A set AGI later? :confused:

Working on double turns now. Basically it will generate another (agility * +-50%) for characters with double turns enabled and add them to the list a second time with their new turn value.

PostPosted: Mon May 18 2015 2:25am
by Tyadran
Gotcha, that makes sense. I've never really understood how they work in the Shining games, so was curious how you planned to do it.

PostPosted: Mon May 18 2015 9:00pm
by Chaoswizard98
Okay, well... I got some good news, some better news, some not so good news, and some slightly better news.

The good news: I got double turns working.

The Better news: It supports the ability to add up to infinite turns (with slight copy/paste/modify coding).

The not so good news: I booted up GameMaker today to see this message in the news window...

In short, GameMaker 8.1 (The version I am using to code this project) is, without warning, no longer able to be purchased.

Now, here's some slightly better news.
GameMaker Studio is now free, :) however it gives your game a watermark when running the game and it only allows you to export the game as a .GMZ (Basically you need to have gamemaker on your computer to run the game.)

I downloaded GM:S and imported my current project. So far, everything works except for some strange issue with the turn order I just got working :damnit: and the font for some reason, decided to blur (which I'm pretty sure I know why it blurred and it should be fixable).

Running the game with GM:S seemed to be slightly jumpy and objects seem to animate faster than GM8.1. I haven't looked into possible causes for this but I will look into it eventually.

I will continue to code my project for GM8.1 (Since I don't plan on paying more money to remove a watermark) and clean it up for GM:S after I finish it. :thumbsup:

Edit:
Just added a few simple things.
+The character who's turn it is will be drawn on top of all other characters.
+Menus now slide out rather than disappear when a character walks back to their start location.
+Menus slide slightly faster now and should be up to speed with SF.
-Fixed a bunch of errors caused by hitting your keyboard with a hammer. (Button Spam)

PostPosted: Tue May 19 2015 4:26pm
by Tyadran
Infinite turns sounds amazing. I now want a ninja boss who moves 5 times in a round. :thumbsup:

The loss of GM8.1 is unfortunate. How expensive is GM:S? I just wonder whether it is worth it to continue coding on GM8.1 if there is any risk of things breaking severely when being ported over. I don't know how much coding changes between versions - I'm a RPG Maker guy, and the coding is totally redone in every incarnation.

All the minor additions sound great. I want to see some of this stuff in action sometime - any chance of a small update video of some sort to show off sliding menus and where things stand at the moment?

PostPosted: Tue May 19 2015 7:17pm
by Chaoswizard98
Tyadran wrote:Infinite turns sounds amazing. I now want a ninja boss who moves 5 times in a round. :thumbsup:

Heh ninja boss. Imagine Zeon having 5 turns... It would be interesting to see a character with very low attack power but having lots of turns.

Tyadran wrote:The loss of GM8.1 is unfortunate. How expensive is GM:S? I just wonder whether it is worth it to continue coding on GM8.1 if there is any risk of things breaking severely when being ported over. I don't know how much coding changes between versions - I'm a RPG Maker guy, and the coding is totally redone in every incarnation.

GM:S is currently free, however when your game starts up (before the title screen) you see a "Made with GameMaker Studio" message (not really a big deal). The downside to the free version is that you can only export your game as a .gmz file, meaning you need the GameMaker Player installed to be able to play the game. (Which is free anyways, it's just a pain for users to have to download an external program)

To remove the watermark intro screen and to be able to export the game as a standalone .exe file, it is currently around $150. (Again, not really needed in the grand scheme of things, it's just nice.) I will probably be purchasing GM:S at some point anyways, so if my life after I graduate college isn't super busy, I'd be willing to export anyone's completed project for them to remove the watermark and to make sharing easier. (Exporting takes around 30 seconds anyways...)

I imported my current work file to GM:S and 99% of it worked fine. So probably with minor tweaks, I should be able to get it ported. I will continue coding with GM8.1 since it's a simple transition to GM:S anyways.

Tyadran wrote:All the minor additions sound great. I want to see some of this stuff in action sometime - any chance of a small update video of some sort to show off sliding menus and where things stand at the moment?

Sure, this week is finals week so I'll see when I can get it done. (That and people love interrupting me when I record stuff lol)

PostPosted: Tue May 19 2015 9:32pm
by Tyadran
Well, looks like you've got everything sorted then. Good to hear that the conversion process isn't a huge hurdle.

PostPosted: Wed May 27 2015 8:10pm
by Chaoswizard98
Ok well, finals week, and a weekend full of playing with newborn kittens is finally over with.

New additions:
+You can now move the cursor around the map.
+Cursor movement supports 8 directional keyboard movement (diagonals).
+You can now see a character's stats page during battle.
-Slight tweak to the speed of menu slides.
-You can no longer move the cursor or your characters off screen (out of the room).
-Redid the way items are handled. They should be easier to modify now.
-Fixed slight issue with the HP/MP bar draw function.
-Optimized around 50-75% of existing scripts.

PostPosted: Thu May 28 2015 4:43am
by Tyadran
I envy your kittens. But applaud the rest.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12 2015 2:23am
by Chaoswizard98
Ok so, long time no update. Our Minecraft server gets busy during the summer months so I have been occupying my players and such these last few weeks and haven't had much time to work on this project.

Nonetheless, I finished up the sliding function for the battle menu and re-implemented the "Stay" function. I also made HP/MP bars fancier.

Next up, cursor menu and the dreaded re-work of battle cutscenes...

Oh and here's that update video you wanted lol.

Edit: Almost done Re-working the attack range function. It will be much more powerful, allow for the selecting of both enemies and allies with a single spell / attack, and the "Archer Removal Range" is no longer limited to 1.

I also plan on giving weapons an "area effect" variable. You know... in case your character owned a cannon or something...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15 2015 7:41pm
by Tyadran
Everything looks so good. :D
Area of Effect is cool to have, I like adding arrows that have AoE like a scattered shot.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08 2015 5:21am
by Chaoswizard98
Sorry for the random MIA for almost 2 months. One of the classes I need to take for my major was canceled so I had to get that sorted, and then I left on a 3 week vacation lol. Anyways, I worked on a few major things for the engine.

The dialogue system is now officially done and optimized. This includes panning in and out, and scrolling text up when reaching the bottom of the window. Text prints out at 6 different speeds (4 game speeds, each gives a +2 to render speed) and the dialogue "bleep" sounds will play accordingly (if you have a speed of 1 it beeps for every character, higher speeds means it skips more characters).

I also added the ability to insert the '@' symbol which will call an action with the object that created the dialogue window. For example, if my "cutscene" object summoned the dialogue window, the '@' would call whatever action the cutscene wanted to play at that time (like a screen shake, a sound, a pause ect.). Should you wish to add more symbols to call other functions for whatever reason, you can add another if(symbol = 'whatevs'){ do stuff.} statement to the code fairly easily.

I also upped the game's FPS to 60 (it used to be the gamemaker default of 30). This was mainly to allow for faster dialogue render speeds. Because of this increase, steps are now faster and pans / animations are now smoother. Later on when I add the "Modder's quick config" script, I'll add a variable that keeps animation speeds from bugging out if you wanted to change the fps of the game to something other than 60.

I also started working on a global menu system controller which will take care of all of the game's menus and their functions. This is more for people with coding experience but, it will allow you to easily re-arrange existing menus and it will also allow you to create new menus and functions.

In regards to future engine releases, I'm working on making every game object interact with all other objects in the same way. This should make future bug fixes, tweaks, and additions to the engine much easier to add since you wouldn't have to worry about updating 1 object only to break another.

Fun stuff:
I made giving characters multiple turns easier. You now assign them a "Number of turns" number.
Items now have a "bonus turns" value.
Dual wielding is officially unofficially added. (Items now have an equip slot value. Main hand, off-hand/ring, or both).
I found out you can assign values to an instance's create event via the game-room creator. Thus, you can get away with a single "Lizardman" object, and give only 1 of them the "heat axe" while giving another a different weapon.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10 2015 9:56pm
by Tyadran
Yay, progress reports! Sounds like everything is moving along at a good clip, and it's nice to know that text boxes are working great.

Very hype for dual wielding and giving enemies separate equipment. That is absolutely beautiful.

Somewhat out of the blue (I don't believe this has been asked), will there be implementation for enemies appearing mid-battle?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10 2015 10:45pm
by Chaoswizard98
Tyadran wrote:Somewhat out of the blue (I don't believe this has been asked), will there be implementation for enemies appearing mid-battle?

Haven't thought about how to implement it yet, but yes, you will be able to run events during battle.
Things like spawning hidden enemies, SF2 Oddeye battle path falling apart, npcs switching sides / saying stuff mid battle, enemies changing AI types during battle, ect. will all be doable eventually.

In terms of "dual wielding," sprites will likely not show 2 weapons unless you specifically added a "dual wield" sprite. Nonetheless, the option to add such a sprite will (hopefully) be there when I fix up battle cutscenes.

Edit: Working on fixing up speed issues with the battle stuff. Doubling the game speed ended up doubling animation speed, movement speed, ect. Nonetheless It's a funny bug that reminds me of "turbo mode." Depending on complexity, I may add a "turbo mode" option for those who just want to play the game faster.

Also working on fixing up the battle controller so it properly uses the new menu controller.

Regarding items, I'm taking Earl's advice and making it so that items can utilize any existing attribute in the game. This means things like adding max hp / mp, giving a character more turns, giving resistances, more crit, more evasion, damage type, attack area, ect. This way, should anyone wish to utilize such a thing, it's already built into the system.

In terms of resistances / damage types, if you wanted to add a new one, you can do so easily, as a script will handle battle damages.

Edit: Tweaked "Number of Turns" slightly to make it more mod friendly. Also... I just had the crazy Idea of adding attackable walls / doors / barricades during battle...

Edit: Fixed a very annoying eye candy bug due to the speed increase. It should be all better now :D
Also in regards to the speed increase, dialogue speeds / sounds, menu pans, and character movement are just about 100% in sync in look, feel, and speed of the original shining games.

I find it interesting how much my brain can pick out the slightest error in step sound, and the classic triple menu swish sound when "staying" and panning out the menu, LE, and HP windows.

Nonetheless, I am very happy with the way things look now compared to the clustermess of code I originally had. (even if I broke the entire game several times to get here...)

Edit: The battle controller now correctly interacts with the new menu controller.
I also decided to split up the menu controller into several different controllers. (Battle, Cursor, Town, Status, Church, Town, Yes/No). They work the same as they used to, it just makes it easier to find what piece of code you're looking for.

When you bring up the menu, (after moving your character) the menu will auto select either stay or attack based on if you can attack an enemy from your current location.

Edit: Attempting to "attack" when you have no available targets now displays the "No attackable targets" message and shows your character's attack range.

I also implemented the Cursor menu as well. Currently it has no function, it's just a placeholder until I get all those functions working. (Minimap, speed, quit, status).

Edit: It needs fancifying but eh, the math is working and that's the important thing.

Edit: Item menus are a pain in the rear but I'm officially working on them now...

Edit: Officially done with the menu side of 'USE' and 'DROP'. That leaves only equip and give.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06 2015 7:45pm
by Tyadran
Wow, all this info I've been missing with college starting. Good to hear.

(also just a bump so you can stop editing ^.^ )

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12 2015 4:36pm
by Chaoswizard98
This is going to be a long semester. 3 programming classes and discrete math >.<

Anyways, Give is now working as far as the menu controller goes. That leaves Equip as the only battle menu function not implemented yet. I also went back and polished up the other menu functions as well.

Magic now displays it's range when selecting a spell.

Items now have several more attributes including effect range, effect range limit (basically how archer attack range works), effect targets (can target enemies, allies, or both). I will add effect and effect radius after I figure out how to implement different effects (Probably after I re-code battle cutscenes).

Give and Use also display their ranges when hovering over an item.
============

The remaining things left to add / re-code for battle stuff.
1. Equip
2. Selection Controller (so you can actually target and select things)
3. Battle Cutscenes
4. Enemy AI
5. Cursor menu (Minimap is partially working, it just needs prettying up)
6. Events (AI changes, spawning more mobs, ect.)
7. Winning / Losing the battle.
8. Experience / stat / level gains.
9. Maybe more stuff I'm forgetting...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14 2015 12:43am
by Earl
Another possible feature :
Dialogue choices. Sometimes yes/no just isn't enough.
Assuming traditional SF layout (three lines per text box), this would mean holding in memory more lines than are displayed at any given time so a player could scroll up/down the options... a highlighting of the currently selected option... tying a flag to each option...

While this has really gotten to be a staple in modern games, there was no reason why it couldn't have been done back in the day.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29 2015 11:54pm
by Grim04
Chaoswizard98 wrote:
Caedmonball19 wrote:Inserting a reply so you don't have to keep editing your last post :)

Thanks lol

Magic only needs animating and adding to the battle code. But since that is a pain, I decided to take a break from magic and work on the beginning of the game a bit.

I finished writing the beginning of the game and most of its dialogue. I layed out the basic shape of the starting town but its far from done. Since I only wanted the basic layout of the town I didn't care about decorating, sprite details, ect. Later on it will look like 4 nukes, 3 armies, and Godzilla blew through the town.

I'm not really familiar with Gamemaker, are you using that in the above screenshot to make the maps?

I'm planning on making my own Shining Force game when this Editor comes out, I might start making the maps now.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30 2015 3:06am
by Chaoswizard98
@Earl
Dialogue options was something I thought about however my original intent was to simply use the Yes/No menus. You do bring up a good point though and that is that 2 options is sometimes not enough when it comes to complex dialogue. It seems simple enough to set up another controller that would allow for this type of action so I'll add it to the list of eventual stuff.

@Grim
Yes, that is a direct screenshot from GameMaker's room creator. I set the snap X and Y values to 24 (the size of SF tiles) and just started clicking away lol.

My progress and what I've been up to:
Progress has been slow due to the massive amount of schoolwork I've been getting. I do however, plan on getting at least 2 things done this week. The Battle HUD draw function needs updating. Since I learned about surfaces, I found a way to make the windows less cpu extensive and it should help to prevent tons of draw calls every step of the game. On top of this, it also makes sliding menus around WAY easier and takes way less code. Also... it doesn't take enemies into consideration which are needed for the target selection controller...

That being said, the target selection controller is the second thing I want to complete this week. So far it's working great, and the cursor will no longer jump between targets. Now it will slide (path-find) to the next target. It seems to slide at a speed accurate to SF, however until I add the target's battle HUD slide functions and the sound effects I won't be able to tell for sure.

"Equip" is also half done. I'll be working on that function on and off when I'm in the mood since I hate working on menu stuff lol.

I really cannot wait until I finish these 3 features. After these 3, I'm pretty sure Battle cut-scenes come next which I am super excited for :)

Anyways, I'm glad I finally have a week off of schoolwork to work on this project. I will definitely try to get as much done as I can before more work is assigned!

Edit:
+Battle HUD is all cleaned up.
+Battle HUD now supports enemies. (If you wanted, you could also include the enemies class / level in the window)
+Target selection controller (what you use to select your target) is 75% done. All that's needed is to allow the player to back out of selection and to link it properly with the battle menu controller. (So far it only works for attack)
-Fixed archers being able to attack things close to them.

Edit:
The above fix apparently was only a graphical fix and archers could still attack things next to them. Nonetheless, problem solved.

Edit:
+You can now back out of choosing a target.
+Attacking officially supports different attack areas. (which is determined by a character's attack area stat, weapon area bonus, and item area bonus.) For balance sake, most people would only set 1 of those at any given time (probably a weapon or a character who cant equip weapons). If for whatever crazy reason you'd want to go all out, all 3 bonuses will stack capped at a radius of 3 and a minimum of 1 (in case of negatives).

Edit:
Great News!
So I was talking with my advisor today and there is a very high chance that I will be able to use this project as my senior capstone project. This means that the game and engine should be in a completed state by summer (May 2016). Although it isn't official yet, my advisor is the head of the CS department and also the one running the capstone course. That being said, he pretty much gave me the green light and that's the rout I am planning on taking.

Edit:
Long time no update. Been busy with school lately. Nonetheless, I have had some time to work on this project more recently so I figured I might as well give a little update.

+Battle HUD and LE windows now use surfaces. This makes them easier to move around the screen.
+Non glowing tiles no longer run their draw events. (Major fps boost)
-Fixed archers showing incorrect attack range when no enemies were in range.
-Fixed magic not showing correct range when choosing a spell

Edit:
+Attack target selection is fully implemented
+Target selection for magic is fully implemented
+Depending on spell, item, ect. the cursor will select enemies, allies, or both.

In its current state, target selection could probably be tweaked slightly to allow for the selection of empty tiles. So just maybe, I'll be able to add that "summon" spell that many of you had suggested...

Officially started working on item use effects!

Edit:
Took a nice break from battle stuff to get some of the "start room" junk sorted out.
We now have a working "character creation" system.

So far it works the exact same as every SF game (aside from the fact that I increased the character limit from 7ish? to 19. I figured I might as well make the "Name" bar be even with the dialogue window.

Eventually I will add the ability to change the portrait, gender, and class of the character, but that can be added at a later date.

Edit:
Well, it's been a fun and productive weekend working on this.
The game now has its own config file in anticipation for setting your own controls. For now, the only thing stored in it is game speed. When the game is loaded, it checks your config file for your game settings (controls, gamespeed, ect.) if it doesn't exist, it creates it and assigns default values.

I also added an intro room which is a placeholder for the introductory cutscene. This room, and the title screen can be skipped at any time by pushing whatever your "Start" button is set to. For now, it's hardcoded to the space bar.

Next up, we have the New, Load, Options room. All of this is patchy at current time. Bits and pieces are done but what is working, I'm happy with. New game needs to have "choose a game save slot" inserted into it as it currently just transitions to character creation. Character creation is 99% done. All that's needed is to prevent the ability to select more letters past the max and the "END" button's functionality.

Load Game is getting close to being done as far as this room's menu is concerned. If you have no saved games, Load will be greyed out and unable to be selected. If saved games do exist, you will be able to select load which will bring up a list of your saved games. Again, if a slot is empty, it will be grey and un-selectable.

I also fixed 2 small things in regards to the dialogue controller and tweaked its pan speed slightly.

Pictures below!

Edit:
New game is almost fully complete. All that's needed is a deletion / override warning when selecting an existing save. Empty slots are fully functional. As far as new and load game go, you can select the different save slots and if you are loading a game, you can only switch between the slots with data in them. The Empty slots are greyed out and un-selectable.

Edit: (1/7/16)
Hope everyone's holidays went well! I'm off of school for all of January which means I'll be working full time on this project for this entire month :)

Anyways, Dialogue is now super simple to use now that it's finally in function form. (Substituting character actions with time delays since I don't have an official cut-scene controller set up yet) I managed to code the entire SF2 cut-scene stuff up to where Sarah and Chester join the force in about 3 minutes.

The Main Menu should be 'complete' tomorrow. I say "complete" because I'm not sure if I want to add the ability to change controls just yet. For now Options simply displays "Sorry! This isn't coded yet!"

Regarding the next Demo, (InDev / Pre Alpha 2.0)
The next demo will be able to stand alone as a game (though a very small one). The reason why I say it will stand alone is because I have a very small and unique plot for it which is related in no way to my main game. It will be a simple demo that tests out very light cut-scene stuff, and pretty much everything in regards to battle. It should be... "Special..." I don't have an ETA on it unfortunately, mainly because I don't know how much time optimizing the battle cut-scenes is going to take. Plus I have to figure out how to fix a bug Earl unknowingly pointed out to me... Curse you mobility ring!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12 2015 8:43pm
by TehCupcakes
This is very exciting to me! Shining Force is one of my favorite games to this day, and it has always been a dream of mine to make a game like it. When I started using Game Maker back in 2004, one of the first projects I started was a SF fan game... Unfortunately, I was severely lacking in the skill to make such a complicated engine. Now that I have the GM knowledge and programming skill, I simply don't have the time.

You seem like you are very competent and motivated enough to actually make this a reality. Looking forward to seeing where this goes! :) My biggest question is why are you still using GM8.1? The free version of studio has significantly better performance and a number of other improvements, and they did away with the resource limit a long time ago so I don't really see a great reason to stay on 8.1.

It looks like you've got most of the engine done, but if you want some help feel free to shoot me a PM or email (tehcupcakes@hotmail.com). Like I said, I don't have much time right now, but I am well-versed in GM and programming techniques, plus I love working on game engines more than anything.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09 2016 10:00pm
by macadoum
Happy to see that things are moving for your game and engine. I don't know for which one i am more excited between your engine and the opengoldensun engine. I hope to test an alpha soon. Thanks for your work. :cool:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10 2016 8:00pm
by Chaoswizard98
TehCupcakes wrote:This is very exciting to me! Shining Force is one of my favorite games to this day, and it has always been a dream of mine to make a game like it. When I started using Game Maker back in 2004, one of the first projects I started was a SF fan game.

That statement pretty much sums up my life and time with this project as well XD.

TehCupcakes wrote:My biggest question is why are you still using GM8.1? The free version of studio has significantly better performance and a number of other improvements, and they did away with the resource limit a long time ago so I don't really see a great reason to stay on 8.1.

Personally, I don't like GMS as much as 8.1. When you test run your project, GMS takes 30 seconds to compile your project, then it also has to load your project. GM8.1 takes like 2 seconds to compile it since it doesn't have to deal with all that extra cross compatibility stuff. The amount of times that I load and reload my game makes GMS really not worth my time to use right now. I will be porting the engine to GMS when it is completed so if you have 8.1 or GMS you can use it either way. :thumbsup:

Another reason why I don't like GMS as much is because its error messages are more cryptic and harder to read than 8.1. For example, in GMS I might get a "Null Pointer Error," whereas in GM8.1 it points me right to the line of code causing problems. Practically saying "uhm yeah, you spelled the variable wrong"

Also, I don't feel like spending 100ish bucks just to export my game without the GMS splash screen lol.

TehCupcakes wrote:You seem like you are very competent and motivated enough to actually make this a reality. Looking forward to seeing where this goes! :)

macadoum wrote:Happy to see that things are moving for your game and engine. I don't know for which one i am more excited between your engine and the opengoldensun engine. I hope to test an alpha soon. Thanks for your work. :cool:

Thanks for the support guys! I appreciate it!
I'm aiming to have the next demo out end of January. It has its own very small plot and should be able to stand alone as very small game which should be quite fun. :)

Edit:
Today was quite productive. I came up with a very nice layout for menus (finally) that is very flexible and easy to read and modify. This was done to allow for the addition of new menus and to change the way existing ones work. This way "weapon skills" displaying like magic does when selecting attack becomes super easy to do. Hell, adding a bottom "next page" option for spells, items, ect. now becomes possible. Since Items and Spells are stored in array form... Oh man, 1 character could have ALL the spells! Or, if you simply didn't like the design of a menu (like if you wanted spells / items to display in list format) you can change just that section of the menu system without having to worry about anything else breaking.

'Drop,' 'Give,' 'Attack' and 'Use' are 100% done. "Shining Ball" item was added so I could test offensive use items. The character's now face the direction of their target. Character 'Marching' no longer goes out of sync after their turn (this annoyed the hell out of me for the longest time and I finally got around to fixing it). Magic will display as 'You have no magic' if you do not have any spells, if you do... well the game breaks cause magic is coming tomorrow :)

The Cursor's diagonal manual movement code has been fixed. Now if you hit the edge of the map when moving diagonally, it will slide along the edge instead of just stopping. I also set up a new battlefield for the sake of the upcoming demo and added Evil Gizmos ("Dark Smoke") to the enemy list.

Oh yeah, and we have the mini-map now! No matter what room size you use, no matter what tiles you use, no matter what / where characters are on the map, it will draw a 100% accurate minimap in the middle of your screen just like in SF. It also fades to black slightly before it pans in so you can see the map better and fades back to normal when you close it. Oh and idk... If you wanted to add "Allies" or "Teams" or just distinguish between "Bosses" you could add more marker colors. :)

Edit: (Day 2)
Magic is now 100% done and optimized. I also added 2 more spells to the current spell list (freeze and bolt) to help test a few things. Equipping items is half done. Weapons are equippable, items are not. As far as weapons go, the wooden rod, elven arrow, short spear, and stick were added to the current items list with their various stats to test a variety of things. Mainly attack ranges and stat buffs.

Equipping should be finished up tomorrow morning. Then the long painful grind of optimizing the battle cut-scene code begins... I'll probably make another update video tomorrow showing everything up to the completion of the battle menu. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12 2016 7:11am
by bum_199
this sounds awesome! i'm glad to hear its coming along well. it sounds like the engine and game are doing great. i just don't know if id call it the shining engine and have those assets included cause of legal junk. i mean it would probably be safer to specify what formats sizes etc resources need to be in and what people do with it would be out of your hands.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13 2016 1:11am
by Chaoswizard98
bum_199 wrote:this sounds awesome! i'm glad to hear its coming along well. it sounds like the engine and game are doing great. i just don't know if id call it the shining engine and have those assets included cause of legal junk. i mean it would probably be safer to specify what formats sizes etc resources need to be in and what people do with it would be out of your hands.

Most certainly I'll be trying to avoid using anything 'Sega' when my project is finally complete. I never did plan on calling it "The Shining Engine" or even using "Shining" in the name. Although I don't have a name for it yet, I will probably call it something along the lines of "<something> Turn Based Tactics Engine."

I have been searching newgrounds on and off for some music since I don't know any composers. So far that search is going alright. I'm still missing a "title screen / game theme" and an "overworld exploration" track though. As far as sprites and tiles go, the only art people I know are the more lazy type who would maybe get 1-2 frames of a character done XD. That being said though, assets aren't really my concern right now since it would take only a few minutes to swap them out and really, that can be done at the end.

Anyways, here's the completed state of the battle menu system! (Mobility ring also added as an equippable item to help me test item equipping and so I could fix an issue caused by the mobility ring and pathfinding)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14 2016 4:23pm
by TehCupcakes
Personally, I don't like GMS as much as 8.1. When you test run your project, GMS takes 30 seconds to compile your project, then it also has to load your project. GM8.1 takes like 2 seconds to compile it since it doesn't have to deal with all that extra cross compatibility stuff. The amount of times that I load and reload my game makes GMS really not worth my time to use right now. I will be porting the engine to GMS when it is completed so if you have 8.1 or GMS you can use it either way. :thumbsup:

Another reason why I don't like GMS as much is because its error messages are more cryptic and harder to read than 8.1. For example, in GMS I might get a "Null Pointer Error," whereas in GM8.1 it points me right to the line of code causing problems. Practically saying "uhm yeah, you spelled the variable wrong"

Also, I don't feel like spending 100ish bucks just to export my game without the GMS splash screen lol.

You have some good points. GM:S does take an eternity to compile, and unfortunately there's not much that can be done about that since the whole point was to get away from the GM8 compiler for the sake of multi-platform functionality. XD

Yeah, the error messages often suck, but the debugger is hardcore. I held off on learning the GM:S debugger for a while because it's much more complicated and seemed confusing, but once I got into it, it's really useful with breakpoints and all. It more than makes up for the shortcoming in error messages, in my opinion.

The splash screen never bothered me much... Of course, I also got the Pro version of GM:S from a humblebundle for $12, so I can't complain. :) I would be happy to export the project for you when it's done, if only to get rid of the splash screen. lol. But yeah, making it in 8.1 and porting to Studio does sound like a good plan. (Hopeful it imports well... XD)

Anyway, it's looking great! Still on track for completing this by May? I can't wait to get my hands on that Shiny code (pun intended). :D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14 2016 7:22pm
by Chaoswizard98
TehCupcakes wrote:Yeah, the error messages often suck, but the debugger is hardcore. I held off on learning the GM:S debugger for a while because it's much more complicated and seemed confusing, but once I got into it, it's really useful with breakpoints and all. It more than makes up for the shortcoming in error messages, in my opinion.

Yeah that's one of the things that I wish GM8.1 had was breakpoints. (And for instance creation code to not be backwards)

TehCupcakes wrote:The splash screen never bothered me much... Of course, I also got the Pro version of GM:S from a humblebundle for $12, so I can't complain. :) I would be happy to export the project for you when it's done, if only to get rid of the splash screen. lol. But yeah, making it in 8.1 and porting to Studio does sound like a good plan. (Hopeful it imports well... XD)

Yeah I test imported it a while back and for the most part it imports pretty well. There's only a few minor things that will need fixing, mainly in regards to sound. I do plan on buying GMS and the Mac export option sometime in the future however, if you've ever looked into that, it takes a lot more work to export it to a Mac. :damnit:

TehCupcakes wrote:Anyway, it's looking great! Still on track for completing this by May? I can't wait to get my hands on that Shiny code (pun intended). :D

Yeah this should be done by the time I graduate in May. (The fact that I'll have an entire class this semester dedicated solely to working on this project also helps :) ). Honestly the 2 biggest things left at this point is fixing up battle cut-scenes (I had them done at one point, but it was never up to my standards so I'm re-working them to make them more flexible) and more AI work.

I'm aiming to have battle cut-scenes re-implemented, and to fix basic AI (the cost calculation is off) by the end of this month. In short, I want the game to be 'playable' again by February. That and I have this crazy idea for the next demo that I cant wait to get working :)

Oh and I sent you an email btw, not sure if you got it or not.

Edit: (1/15/16)
Holy freaking hell. It's one thing when you run into a bug, it's another when you run into a bug with the program itself :damnit: . Anyways, the bug is fixed (I hope!) and the battle cut-scenes are starting to take shape (but still a ways to go yet!). Character death (swirly swirly bang) was also re-implemented and optimized.

Edit: (1/17/16)
Attack works for both players and enemies and now supports critical hits. Archer / ranged attack pan also works. Double attack and Counter have yet to be added as well as a little bit of polish work.

Edit: (1/18/16)
Originally I forgot about blocking but that is now officially added. The battle cut-scenes now support any frame limit as well as whatever animation speed you want to give it. This way you can really animate every aspect of the cutscene at the speed you want. I also fixed an issue caused by button spam and added 2 scripts which take care of drawing the right character and animation for the battle cutscene. Crit and Block scripts have also been added.

Chances to Crit, Block, Double, and Crit Damage are not restricted in any way. Every character can have their own chance to perform such actions as well as receiving bonuses from items, weapons, buffs, debuffs, ect. All of the above is defaulted to 1/16 chance and a 1.25 multiplier for crit damage.

Boop!

Edit: (1/23/16)
Took a 2 day break so I don't get burnt out but I'm back now for the most part. 'Attack' is done for now. It doesn't support AoE attacks yet, but since the next demo will not contain an AoE weapon, I'm holding off on it until later. Other than that, double, counter, crit, block, experience gains, ect. have all been added. Next up is re-adding magic.

Edit: (1/28/16)
Magic is now fully implemented at least as far as players go. Enemies should theoretically be able to use it, however I don't have an AI set up for that yet so I can't test it. Bolt and Blaze (minus the L4 fire dragon) are animated. Freeze , Heal, and Aura all work, though there is no animation for those yet.

Enemy AI is also re-implemented. The demo itself should be feature complete by the end of the week, and finalized a few days later. :)

Edit: (2/5/16)
I still have a few small things that I need to change regarding the official Pre-Alpha demo but that's right around the corner. In the mean time, here's a somewhat challenging Pre-Demo map for you guys to test out. Note that controls, graphical issues, ect. are only temporary and will be different in the upcoming demo, as this is the map I use to test stuff with. Good Luck!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21 2016 7:42am
by bum_199
great demo! some things i noticed. my first time playing through hitting escape instantly took me to the desk top after making some battle progress kind of sucked. maybe add a are you sure message to that? one time i couldnt get the keyboard to do anything in game. i could still move the mouse over it and everything but then again i had only made the window as large as i could for the game because i couldn't find a full screen mode. i also noticed something that may or may not be a bug. normally hitting 0 on the numpad would bring up a normal scrolling map cursor. but if i selected a spell with ciera, then after doing so on that same turn, brought up the map cursor it would be the same size as the cursor for the previously selected spell. just letting you know.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22 2016 12:31am
by Chaoswizard98
Yeah, Gamemaker assigns 'close the game' to the escape key by default. I will be using the escape key as a 'main menu' later on but since I haven't gotten around to working on that yet, I just left it with it's default function to help speed up testing.

Fullscreen is something that I haven't officially added yet. Gamemaker does default F4 to fullscreen, F5 to save and F6 to load. Now, I've heard mixed things about Gamemaker's built in save / load system which is why I coded my own, but for the most part it works just like savestates do on emulators.

The 'keyboard not working' is something that I've been trying to fix for a while now. Unfortunately, I have no idea what causes it (though I think it has something to do with the menu system and probably button spam). Since I can't figure out how to re-create it, I cant figure out how to fix it lol. If you find a way to consistently trigger it, let me know!

The cursor issue was something I overlooked at the time. I never reset the cursor's size after backing out of the magic menu. Nonetheless, it has been fixed. Thanks for letting me know!

===============
The main pre-alpha demo (The one that should have been done a month ago, apologies!) is just about done. I have only the painfully tedious task of creating one last cut-scene before I finalize the demo.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22 2016 4:08am
by bum_199
the keyboard not responding normally wouldnt be a big deal. but with battles that long it would be nice if we could save mid battle in case that happens.

edit: what you said about keyboard spam is confirmed. i tried hitting all the arrows and both and 1 and 0 on the numpad quickly and all at once. that triggers it for me.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01 2016 2:11pm
by Chaoswizard98
bum_199 wrote:what you said about keyboard spam is confirmed. i tried hitting all the arrows and both and 1 and 0 on the numpad quickly and all at once. that triggers it for me.

It triggers by button spam when already in the menu I take it? Any specific menu that seems to trigger it more?
Appreciate it!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02 2016 4:34am
by bum_199
i just started hitting all the keys that were used in the game over and over as soon as i could control people on the battlefield. im pretty sure that brought up at least the main menu. not sure what menu it got to but not long of keeping that up froze it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11 2016 11:06am
by greyskies
Just dropping a quick "this looks awesome" here. I'm looking forward to your next updates!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15 2016 12:22am
by Chaoswizard98
@Bum
99% sure I fixed all freezing issues as of the latest demo.

@Greyskies
I appreciate it!

Progress report:
The last few days I have been organizing all the scripts and objects as well as doing my best to create new borders and menu sprites.

As far as battle code goes there is really only 4 things left to add. Item use, spawning more enemies, status effects, and leveling up. Although these are easy to add (or at least theoretically they should be) I'm taking a break from battle code to work on the town stuff.

For the most part, town stuff shouldn't be too hard. Really the majority of the work is the menu system. I'll also be changing the 'escape' key from gamemaker's default 'close the game' to a main menu.

Edit:
The main town menu can be displayed but as far as the functionality of it goes, that's yet to be added.
I also added NPCs. They can wander (in a radius of their original room position) or they can be stationary. The player cannot walk through them nor can they walk through the player.

Edit: Re-implemented characters following you around town. The chain can also be as long as you want.

Edit: You can talk to npc's now!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18 2016 8:11am
by bum_199
looking great! whats the goal by the time your class is done?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18 2016 8:22am
by Tyadran
So you can arbitrarily change the length of the chain as desired?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18 2016 11:00pm
by Chaoswizard98
bum_199 wrote:looking great! whats the goal by the time your class is done?

My original hope was to finish the entire game by the end of the class. Unfortunately, all we've done so far is paperwork and lectures so I will probably not have the entire game finished by the end. For now, I'm aiming to have the engine feature complete and the main game to at least be complete through chapter 1.

After the class is over, the engine will likely need a few optimizations and tweaking for user friendliness, (plus some time to port it to the newer version of GameMaker).

Tyadran wrote:So you can arbitrarily change the length of the chain as desired?

Yes. You can have the size of the chain as big as you want (but really, having your entire force in the chain would probably look very cluttered). And I'm eagerly awaiting your first impression let's play of the demo ;)

Today, I finished up the functionality of all the in town objects (unless I'm forgetting something).
Chests can now be looted. They can have an item, gold (and steal your gold if you give it a negative gold value lol), or they can be empty. Bookshelves (or any dialogue related thing that can be inspected other than NPC's) have also been added.

Both Bookshelves and Chests are as generic as possible, meaning you can make anything lootable or print out text should you so choose. All that's needed at this point is to make the databases for these items so that every instance is different.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27 2016 2:58am
by Earl
Some good progress since I last checked the thread.
A couple things that might interest you... not important things, just little details you might like.

SF2 could do fixed and random wandering-within-range NPCs, but it could also allow NPCs to have a set movement pattern of arbitrary length and complexity. The soldiers who march outside New Granseal castle are an example of simple. The only "complex" example I can think of is the guy in old Granseal who makes a circuit of the pond there. Has the potential to make towns seem livelier.

And in the Japanese version of SF2, if a chest was searched in battle there was also the possibility that the chest would contain a monster, itself a callback to SitD. The way the mechanic worked, the monster would get to attack immediately, and when killed would drop the item the chest was supposed to contain.

Probably post-class stuff, if that, but fun to think about.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06 2016 4:32pm
by Chaoswizard98
@Earl,
Good stuff. I was planning on adding scripted NPC walking for towns at a later date. I mostly remember the girl chasing the chicken around in SF1 lol. Chest searching in battle was something I was going to add as well but I never thought of traps before. Did it spawn the same mob every time or was it a random mob?

Anyways, the bookshelf database is set up now which means you can now have different bookshelves and as a bonus, you can check for flags as well (maybe you find something different at a different part of the story?). NPC's will work the same way as well, but I'll deal with those once I finish setting up the main part of the story.

Stairs / room transfers were added. Now you can move between rooms ect. Your followers will also follow you between rooms.

The main in town member list is getting there. I've yet to do 'Magic' and 'Items' but those should be fairly easy now that the layout is done. Also, I coded the 'left and right arrow' stat display switch in a way so that should you want to add more stuff (maybe critical, block, double chances and resistances) you can do so easily. (copy, paste, change the text lol).

Storywise, I changed Kira's class from archer to thief. When promoted, she will be able to utilize the dual wielding feature.

I also worked on some weapon and item sprites with what little art skill I have lol. If anyone wants to use them for anything, feel free.

There's 6 weeks left in this semester to complete 7-9 things!
Cutscene functions
Item use
Leveling up
Church menu
Fix the hardcoded 'Egress' Spell
Shops (Optional as far as class goes)
Town Menu stuff (Member, Magic, Item, Search)
Character sprites (Optional as far as class goes)
And of course everything up to the beginning of battle 3.
Also anything I might have forgotten lol.

Edit:
Battle 1 is 100% done and balanced, though I may need to add a point to enemy attack damage yet when I add experience and leveling. Victory, failure, and character death flags are less hardcoded. Now if an enemy boss is defeated, so are all other units. Character death can also change enemy AI. The minimap also draws an additional 2 tile layers now (total of 3) I had to do this for depth purposes. Enemies 'Wolf' and 'Alpha Wolf' have been added to the game.

Sneak peek of Battle 1!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07 2016 12:21am
by Corsair
I don't know if you have access to the LoV page, but if you see anything there you'd like to be adapted to work within your system lemme know and I should be able to produce some usable assets.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07 2016 12:45pm
by Earl
Same mob, as far as I know, although different hest would contain different mobs.

If character joins set flags... searching a bookshelf could also be understood as "This character knows to look in book X, or knows Item Y is on the shelf"... or a theif character being able to find hidden compartments in a chest... That's an interesting idea, SF2 really never uses flag checks on searchables (except to mark chests as having been opened, obviously).

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09 2016 4:41pm
by Chaoswizard98
@Corsair
I appreciate the offer! I sent you a pm with the specifics.

@Earl
That's exactly what I was thinking when I added it lol. A force member (or important story character) knows the whereabouts of something. I should also note that any global variable(s) can be tested for. Gold, force members, active battle party members, if a team member is dead or not, who is following you around town, stats, spells, items (including more specific things like 'does character X have item Y equipped?'), what stage of a battle you're on, ect.

Also, what are your thoughts on giving chests the ability to hold more than 1 item?

Anyways, I added experience and leveling (though it needs a tad bit of tweaking to make it more readable).
Leveling up is looped, meaning if you somehow had 200 xp (99xp +1 for item use of brave apple, + 100 for effect of brave apple) it would level you twice. This makes testing and balancing stat gains easier, and it allows for something like a golden brave apple to max level your character or something lol.

If you really wanted to control the stat gains of your characters, you have the ability to make the gains for every level different rather than every 10. New spells and levels are obtained on the level you tell them to be obtained at.

- Fixed an issue with enemies not pathfinding around walls correctly.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09 2016 8:53pm
by Earl
Multi-item chests would be a nice time-saver in some situations... like a treasury that for some reason has three chests that hold medical herbs, why bother making players search all three? Or a cursed sword and a glove to hold it might, logically, be stored in the same chest. Or just if you want to give the player a few things, and the map doesn't really allow for space clutter...

On the other hand, I could see where more chests maybe add to a sense of exploration? Or how each chest is a mystery, so would lessen that small surprise... still, I imagine the first time multiple items were had, that alone would be a surprise.

Practically, you would also have more stuff to deal with in inventory management. Instead of just passing an item to the next open slot, you've got a queue of items. Probably a simple thing to loop the code, but maybe there's something else I'm not thinking of.

PostPosted: Tue May 10 2016 1:04am
by Chaoswizard98
Okay so, it's been a while since I posted an update. The end of the semester always has a habit of sneaking up on you and dumping a ton of work and final projects on you. Not to mention it's also my last year in college so I've also been looking into jobs as well.

Anyways, as of today, I have 11 days left until I present my project and for the most part, it's all down to cutscene work and touch ups. Speaking of cutscenes, I wrote a few very useful time saving functions. Nod Head, Shake Head, and... Studder? Not sure what to call that last one, the gizmo does it right before he summons the others for the first battle of SF2, and Peter does it when trying to remove the jewel of evil from Bowie's neck during the last battle.

These functions basically take a character's existing sprite and rip it apart for the duration of the function until the animation is finished playing. This way, you won't have to make your own 'nod head' animation for every character. For obvious math reasons, these functions probably won't work with abnormally large sprites such as zeon or taros, but if that is needed down the line, it's not hard to add.

The animations controller is also coded in a way so that if the need for more animations arises, more can be added. (Probably shrink in / out, fade in / out, dramatic death like hawel in sf2, and explode at some point)

Cutscenes are no longer a huge pain to work with as I managed to abstract the majority of the code away from the user. Now it's essentially 1 large switch case statement filled with whatever dialogue / animations you want your character's to perform. Although these are still quite tedious, I can now make an entire cutscene without having to load the game every step of the way to make sure it works correctly which is a step in the right direction.

As far as bugs go, I think I fixed the freeze issue mentioned in the other thread. Since that one should be considered it's own standalone game, I'll be re-uploading that when I get the chance.

You can also expect another more up to date demo sometime this week! (The entire game up through the end of battle 1 minus the opening cutscene).

PostPosted: Tue May 10 2016 3:06am
by Assassins
Shudder is more accurate for the animation the gizmo makes

PostPosted: Fri May 20 2016 9:53pm
by Bones
Hey ChaosWiz, hope all went well with your hand in / presentation.

PostPosted: Sun May 29 2016 2:45am
by bum_199
hope all is going well with this. looking forward to the next update.

PostPosted: Sun May 29 2016 3:16am
by Chaoswizard98
Well it's been a hectic past few weeks. Capstone presentation, job applications, graduation preparation, and an offer from a composer to work on the audio for my game (which honestly shocked the hell out of me lol!). Nonetheless, I finally have some downtime to post an update XD.

@Assassins
"Shudder"
That was the word I was looking for! The name has been updated!

@Bones
Yes! Everything went well with the presentation. I temporarily changed the bookshelves and some generic NPCs to say funny things about my professor for the duration of the presentation which made the class laugh. Overall it was really fun!

Today was the big graduation day! And with that, I present to you, the alpha demo! (The legit start of the main game!)

I haven't added the opening cutscene yet, so I apologize ahead of time if something is unclear storywise.

The bookshelves and unimportant NPC's don't have much to say right now and are simply placeholders. I'll be getting those fully added once I flesh out the backstory of the team's advisor.

I officially converted the controls into a 'settings' script so I can now change those at will. I'll be setting up in game control config soonish.

As far as this demo goes, I would appreciate it if you could give me some feedback specifically on the story (if you can understand it without the opening cutscene.) and the balancing of the first battle. If you have no clue what's going on storywise or you simply wish to guess at things that may or may not be hinted at, feel free to share your thoughts!

Also regarding any bugs. If the game crashes or freezes ect, hit F5 and send the save file to chaoswizard98@gmail.com

And again, I just wanted to thank everyone here on SFC for supporting my project these past 2 years. It's been a fun and sometimes challenging ride, but I'm pretty much at the point where everything becomes easier (At least I hope so!). Even simply being able to create cutscenes and battles with relative ease and knowing that they work before I even test them is a huge step. Sure I have a ways to go yet, but for the most part, it should be all downhill from here.

Thanks for the support everyone. I appreciate it!

PostPosted: Mon May 30 2016 2:24am
by DiegoMM
testing right now!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01 2016 2:03pm
by Bones
Congrates! Glad to hear all went well.

I've had a play through of the Alpha demo (thanks very much) and very impressed. I liked the story. It made sense and made me want to see more of it. I'm sure it would make more sense with cutscene but like the setting and the music is awesome. A little mystery is good too.

Loved the wolves in the first battle. Balance wise I found it a little easy. It is the first battle but I think the Wolves could do with a little higher attack. Only so they do 2 damage rather than 1. Was a good battle though with a nice layout.

I didn't get any bugs atall.

Are you going to do controller support? I tested with 360 and Xbone and both work okay with the Wireless adapters in Game Maker.

Hope that helps feedback wise and thanks again for the demo.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01 2016 3:49pm
by Chaoswizard98
Now that I think about it, the opening cutscene probably adds a bit more mystery since it tosses you right into the event that happened weeks prior, but overall it does give you a good reason for the current state of things when you finally start playing lol.

The slight mystery in the story is somewhat intentional and the story of the past gets cleared up as the story progresses. Simply because every character you see at the start was there for the events mentioned. The later characters will obviously not have been there. Rather than explain the past twice, (once in the beginning for the player and once later to catch up the newer characters) I figured why not just explain it once later on. A lot of character relations and such will be shown that way as well since they do all technically know each other before this story happens.

Overall, this universe is quite big. I have so many ideas and stuff that I want to add to the story that there's no way to get it all into one game. If I could hire a team to start pumping these games out right now I would! lol.

Yeah I felt the battle was pretty easy too though I wasn't 100% sure if it was because I'm just used to SF and I know the way the battle is set up or whatnot. I'll probably up the attack a bit and make them slightly more aggressive should you attempt to blitz the boss.

A few others asked this as well. Controller support is something I can't do right now since 8.1 doesn't even have an option for it. Once I get it ported to GMS, I'll look into adding it.

Overall, It's good to know you didn't get any bugs or anything and that you're enjoying the story. I will say that the story definitely escalates in the upcoming battles, and I'm looking forward to working on them. I'm especially looking forward to the introduction of the rest of your starting team, especially Kira because of how unique of a character she is and how much she brings to the story.

Overall I'm glad you didn't experience any bugs and found the demo enjoyable. As always, I appreciate the support!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03 2016 1:57pm
by Bones
Can't wait to see that, sounds very cool. I remember when I first played Shining Force 2 I loved the opening and really set the scene for the game. I did have a think about it though and actually on a demo I normally skip all the cutscenes until I've got the full game. That might just be me though.

Sounds like a big project and glad to hear you are continuing on after finishing your course. You seem to have the coding down and probably more in need of artists and musicians but if I can help in anyway please let me know.

I actually did blitz the boss and the wolves to the right did attack. If they had more attack I would have been in trouble.

Controller support on GMS is infinitely better than GM8 but I'm pretty sure you can use a 360 pad with the joystick functions. Probably worth waiting till GMS though cause they are all gamepad functions then so would need to rewrite it anyway.

Lol you could teach alot of the big gaming companies a thing or two about no bugs. It was good to see and I like that you had error trapping to give you information in case you do get them. Kira looks awesome and is that dual wielding?

Thanks again for the demo and look forward to seeing the next part.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04 2016 6:29pm
by Chaoswizard98
For some reason I was wide awake at 3 AM today so I decided to be productive.
We now have a way to change the controls in game :)
I still have to officially add it to the options menu and fancify it, but it works, and that's the important part.
===================================

Bones wrote:Sounds like a big project and glad to hear you are continuing on after finishing your course. You seem to have the coding down and probably more in need of artists and musicians but if I can help in anyway please let me know.

I don't know what the meaning of the word 'quit' means so... It's getting done at some point lol. I have estimated the first game to be around 20ish battles. Adding in town stuff and exploration I estimate the final game to be around 10-20 hours long depending on your skill and whether or not it's your first time playing through the thing.

You are correct, at this point I need more art and music people. But play testers are also very important ;D
I did get a nice offer from a composer so I'll probably take him up on his offer and see where it goes.

Bones wrote:I actually did blitz the boss and the wolves to the right did attack. If they had more attack I would have been in trouble.

Regarding the attack of the wolves, increasing it makes it too difficult for the first battle. Simply because your healer doesn't have enough MP at this point to take care of the extra damage you'd receive. I think instead I'll try making them a tad more aggressive and see if that works. I might as well make 'sprint' while I'm at it.

Bones wrote:Controller support on GMS is infinitely better than GM8 but I'm pretty sure you can use a 360 pad with the joystick functions. Probably worth waiting till GMS though cause they are all gamepad functions then so would need to rewrite it anyway.

GM8 does not have controller, joystick, ect support. Only mouse and keyboard. So yes, GMS is better in that case lol. Assuming gamepad works the same as the keyboard commands, my game should be able to include gamepad with a small altercation to the control config.

Bones wrote:Lol you could teach alot of the big gaming companies a thing or two about no bugs. It was good to see and I like that you had error trapping to give you information in case you do get them. Kira looks awesome and is that dual wielding?

Bigger companies also have bigger games with way more code than I have so bugs are understandable lol. But yeah, my college advisor will always try to break our code in every way possible when he grades our projects so at this point it's habit to add comments and error handling.

Kira will most likely dual wield post promotion unless the balance ends up being really bad. An idea I had for the balancing would be to have 2 types of weapons. Daggers would be dual wielded, a melee weapon, and give slightly better attack rating while a throwing knife would be main hand only and a weaker ranged weapon. Of course I could also simply double the attack of the daggers and not make them dual wieldable for the same effect but eh dual wielding looks cooler.

Edit:
Made the wolves all out sprint towards your group if you blitz the boss for the hell of it. It looks freaking hilarious seeing wolves bombard you from every direction lol. I also upped attack and defense of the wolves slightly. Currently playing around with it to see how well it works.

Edit:
The battle is now properly scaled. It should be more challenging now. I'll update the download once I finish adding the control config.

Edit:
Here's the 1.1 update to the Alpha Demo.
It balances the first battle a bit (it's definitely harder) and it also adds control configuration!

Edit: Finally working on item use. I'm most likely going to build in the ability to add an "item use" animation for characters as well just in case someone finds it useful. Now, as far as I'm aware there are only 2 types of items in SF, ones that mimic spell effects, and ones that boost your character's stats. Am I missing any? Or does anyone have any other ideas for item effects?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07 2016 4:31am
by DiegoMM
I tested it and loved it. Found no bugs, but it has only 1 battle? you keep saying first battle, so i though there is more than one.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08 2016 6:24am
by Bones
Very handy function and worked great for me without any bugs. I was wondering how you were going to save them though. I was going to create another ds_grid and store them and save then read them on the load. I use a laptop too and not all of them have all the keys so being able to remap keys is really handy. I thought maybe if you add spacebar as a confirm for remapping too would be good. Only my opinion though and I'm sure a lot of others would say that's not necessary and it probably isn't.

Sounds awesome and I'm very happy to test if that helps. : )

Did you lower Jason's defence or wolves extra attack? Maybe because Max was doing all the levelling up but he was taking 3 damage this time which was good and made me hold back until I got to the boss. The boss rushed me and I took him out with an attack from each character. I did really like the changes and the wolves rushing is probably what wolves would do. Sorry but wasn't sure what you meant by sprint.

Sorry I thought you were on 8.1, GMS gamepad functions are similar except the sticks but it's all straight forward.

I like the dual wielding. Definitely adds an interesting layer to it all. Would she need two daggers in her inventory and equipped? Then with a ring she would only have one item which would also add balance to the extra attack.

As far as I know it's just stats and spells on the items. The only other idea's I could think of would be summoning characters (more for enemies) and spells / items that push back characters on the map. Or a teleport spell. Not sure if they really fit in with SF though. In SF3 the rods you bought gave you an extra spell so all the characters only had 3 default spells. Then say you equipped a Bronze Rod it would give them Detox as an addition spell. Always took up the bottom spell icon.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08 2016 3:34pm
by Chaoswizard98
@Diego
Yeah for now it's just one battle. Technically the second battle has been done for months, however the cutscene stuff that comes before that battle is not done yet, so I left it out for now. I'll probably add a small 'you finished the demo' cutscene to the end of the next one to avoid confusion lol.

@Bones
I have a few global variables that store the Ascii code of the key itself. When you overwrite a button, it looks something like this. global.UpButton = keyboard_lastkey; And to display it on screen in a way that the average player can understand, (otherwise it would show you the Ascii number) I have a huge switch case script that just returns the name of the control when given the Ascii. case vk_up: name="Up Arrow"; To store everything so that controls and game saves persist when you close the game, I'll be using .ini files.

I gave the wolves extra attack and I changed their AI slightly. I use sprinting and rushing as the same thing, sorry for the confusion lol.

Regarding dual wielding, yes both would have to be equipped, meaning she'd lose out on rings. Either way, I'll have to add a check to see if a character is holding a 2h weapon (like a huge battle axe) and remove the offhand if one is equipped.

Pretty sure the summon spell is doable. Instead of casting the spell on an enemy or ally, it would be casted on an empty tile. Teleport meaning "teleport to empty tile on a map" or teleport meaning Egress Level 2 (choose which town you warp back to). The first way has a bunch of issues with it simply because a weak spellcaster would really only use it to retreat, since most other terrain issues would be solved with the mobility ring. Egress 2 has some issues as well since you'd have to block most of the towns anyway. Cant allow warping to undiscovered towns of course, but even discovered ones have issues since many of them have a 'return battle.'

Edit:
I'm not dead, just job hunting and all that.
I ported the engine to the newer version of GameMaker today and for the most part, there's only 1 major issue that I haven't solved yet in terms of playability and that is the move / attack range functions. Apparently GM changed maps to use hash rather than a list in the newer versions which breaks the function. Other than that, there's only a few minor visual issues.

Also, I fixed a small bug with spacebar spam on the title screen of the game.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29 2016 4:33pm
by Rya.Reisender
The game starts to look really good. I was skeptical about the combat at first, but it looks very nice in the most recent footage.

Really love that sword dancer attack.

I'm really glad that there are people working on making Shining Force-like games. Many indie developers made SRPGs lately, but they were all the in The Forbidden Series Tactics or Fire Emblem style which I neither really like all that much. The world really needs more games like Shining Force, I'd even pay a lot for that. But so far nothing was really ever finished except that Battle Royale mod which can be seen as its own game imo and was pretty great too, but I need moar...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08 2016 1:13am
by Chaoswizard98
Rya.Reisender wrote:The game starts to look really good. I was skeptical about the combat at first, but it looks very nice in the most recent footage.

That's understandable since AI and battle cutscenes is unfortunately where most fan games fall apart. I knew a bunch of people would be skeptical at first so I only started this thread after I had them somewhat working lol.

Rya.Reisender wrote:The world really needs more games like Shining Force, I'd even pay a lot for that. But so far nothing was really ever finished except that Battle Royale mod which can be seen as its own game imo and was pretty great too, but I need moar...

I think everyone here on SFC would agree with you there. We do need more Shining style games lol. Long term, the story I have written for LoS will definitely be a few games long.

I appreciate the support!

=========================
Update:
You can now use items in battle!
The next step is to clean up the battle cutscene code a bit, fix timing issues, and simplify the creation of item / spell effects since that part is still rather tedious and much of the code can be re-used.

I also built in "Item Use" and "End Item Use" animations. This way if anyone wants to create a different character animation for using items, they can do so. Otherwise it just plays the normal "Attack" animation.

Edit:
Optimized the "Attack" portion of the battle cutscene. It should be much more flexible now which will allow for things like status effects, special attacks, area attacks, attacking both enemies and allies, and "Burst Rocks". Most importantly, it allows for the extra 1 experience gained after using a brave apple during battle :)

Edit:
Magic and Item Use are now optimized. I still have to add item consumption and degrading to the script, but that's a simple flag. Both Items and Magic are set up to allow for the targeting of both enemies and allies, so if someone fumbles a grenade, or if atlas decides to perform friendly fire, the game wont break. In all 3 cases (Attack, Magic, Item Use) you can overwrite the default script (or part of it) in case anything works differently than the default script. So basically, adding random things like throwing your sword at the enemy is now possible.

Edit:
As I mentioned before, I really hate working with menus. It's a lot of counting pixels and trying to get stuff to line up properly. So much so that I've probably loaded and reloaded the game thousands of times by now, changing a few numbers only to find that the alignment is still off. Nonetheless, items can now be used in town. If an item doesn't have an effect it defaults to the 'but nothing happens' message. If it has an effect, it will fire that script. The cool part is, items can share effects (thus re-using code) and these effects are independent of the actual engine to make for easy sharing later on.

Oh and we now have working 'power potions' as well.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19 2016 4:09pm
by Caedmonball19
Chaos you are my hero right now. This looks fantastic.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23 2016 9:57pm
by Chaoswizard98
Caedmonball19 wrote:Chaos you are my hero right now. This looks fantastic.

I appreciate it!

Anyways, I finally got the 'items' portion of the town menu working. Also, I was never stupid enough to try to give an item to myself before. I opened up SF2 to see what would happen and it turns out you can organize your inventory. Who knew!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24 2016 12:21am
by Caedmonball19
Even seeing your menus has me excited to play :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24 2016 9:27pm
by Chaoswizard98
I recorded an "everything I've done so far" video this morning for those who are just stopping by or for anyone who hasn't played any of the demos. Then immediately after, I added status effects which already outdates the video lol. Nonetheless, we now have status effects, though I still need to do some cleanup work on it as well as add the rest of the effects. The "ring of renewal" restores 2 MP per turn when equipped. Also, if the effect does not happen (like if you already have full MP) the message isn't displayed to save on playtime.

Everything so far:

Status Effects:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25 2016 12:52am
by Caedmonball19
You are on a roll my friend! This is looking fantastic. Thanks for creating the video.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21 2016 8:25pm
by Chaoswizard98
Oh this is a fun one. Originally this battle wasn't going to be anything special, but I had way too much fun playing around with it so... here you go. The battle should be a nice challenge to most veteran SF players. Death or Egress can be used to XP grind, but it can be done without doing so. Good Luck, Have fun.

Demo Link: "Good Luck"
As always, if you run into a bug or the game explodes, hit F5 and send me the save file!

About the battle:

Changelog below! (big one this time)

Remaining SF Features

Overall this project is so close to having every single SF feature implemented. Even looking at this list, I can honestly say that the hardest thing left to implement will be status effects (possibly shops too), and they really aren't that bad. Looking forward to wrapping up these last few features soon!
As always, thanks for the support!

Edit:
Alpha 1.2.1
+Added Beer Image

Edit:
Alrighty, this is more a 'developer friendly' update as opposed to a 'new feature' update. The following variables have been added to the 'get stat total' function which means that items, weapons, and the character's base stat have access to these variables and are added together. For example, Attack = (character's attack + weapon + ring).

Attack Area (AOE size, caps at 3, can be changed)
Crit Chance
Magic Crit Chance
Block Chance
Double Chance
Counter Chance

Also
+Cheater's Sword (AoE + 1)
+Cheater's Arrow (AoE + 1)
+Ring of Cheats (AoE + 1)
-Fixed a bug with battle cutscenes and AOE.

In the case of an AoE, only the initial target can counter.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25 2016 8:20am
by bum_199
hey looks like the game is doing well. always glad to see progress.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18 2016 9:43pm
by Chaoswizard98
Hey Bum, welcome back to the thread. It always feels good to make progress lol.

Alright so I got status effects working in 2 different ways.

Way number 1:
Poison chance and resistance are determined the same way as every other stat. (Base + weapon + item)
In the battle code, it tests for a successful effect via (RNG < (Chance - Resistance))
Effects being applied are NOT dependent on crit.

Way number 2: (True to SF)
Chance and resistance are determined in the same way as above.
If a Critical hit happens and they have a chance to deal a status effect (no matter how small that chance is), the crit will not happen and it will test against the target's resistance. (RNG < (Chance - Resistance))

I also added a global variable to the game settings script that allows you to switch between the two. So for those of you who want a more traditional SF feel, you now have the option :thumbsup:

Another side note, Status Effects are super easy to add. So basically, adding burn, muddle, boost, stun, sleep, ect will only take a matter of minutes.

+Melee Status Effects
+Poison Chance Stat
+Poison Resistance Stat
+Poison Effect
+Toxic Ring (100% chance to poison)
+Updated Blaze 1 Animation
+Overworld cutscenes now slightly easier to work with

I also recorded some new videos which I'll post when I get them rendered.

Edit: Update video.

Edit:
+Added Detox
+Added Poisoned Icon in status page. (Idk where it goes exactly, will properly space it when I find out)
-Updated Get Spell Stats Function
-Fixed Egress not properly saving stats.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22 2016 6:07pm
by chris1234p
Nice work Chaos!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01 2016 9:36pm
by Chaoswizard98
Currently working on battle 2 and the next few cutscenes.

New additions so far
+ 3 new characters (Kira the Thief, Karina the Mage, and Phillip the Knight).
+ "Viking Bandit" enemy.
+ Stairs.
+ Battle Backgrounds change based on battle and tile.
+ "Follow Target" AI.
+ global EXP Modifier.
- Rebalanced Battle 1 EXP gains.
-Fixed an issue with Menu Font.
-Fixed Camera Pan issue with Cutscene #3.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04 2016 1:36am
by DiegoMM
Cool! I cant wait for another demo!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01 2017 5:03am
by Chaoswizard98
If anyone hasn't played the latest demo (Version 1.3.1) here's the link.

Anyways, I just started to tackle one of the two big things for the next update. Variable weapon sprites for the battle cutscenes. So far, Melee weapons are working and Jason is fully rigged up for the system. The next task is to polish it a bit more, add the other weapons, and rig up the other 5 characters.

Projectiles will be another story since they behave differently once shot / thrown. Not to mention the explosive arrows...

I also added a few minor things as well.
+Looted chests now display as 'Opened'.
+Cancel button can be used to automatically say 'No' to the yes/no menu.
+Arrow Keys now increase dialogue speed.
+Z button will increase dialogue speed AND automatically advance it when held down.

Overall the plan for the next update is to add a bunch of small stuff, weapon sprite animations, and the church / advisor menus (so you can finally save the game lol).

Edit:
Melee weapons are fully implemented and polished. Just as a "what would happen if..." test, I forced a wooden staff onto Jason's equipped slot and it looked hilarious. Swordsmen shouldn't really use staves :) Nonetheless, if for some reason you needed to tweak things further, I added a 'fine tuning' option for each weapon / character combo. You shouldn't ever have to use it, but it's there if you need it.

More minor additions.
+Spells can now tint the cutscene (like how blaze tints the scene red and freeze tints it blue)
+Spells can now have a unique cast color. (Background flash)
+Battle Cutscene Screen Shake.
+Spell Flash can be called at any time.

Edit:
I finally started on the church menu. Raise is 99% done. All that's left is to add the "not enough gold" scenario. I also created an animation for freeze level 1 and 2.

Edit:
'Not enough gold' scenario added to raise.
Cure is done as well and will test for both poison and curses. I also made it modular so that should more ailments be added at a later time, you could easily copy paste without too much trouble.

Edit:
Promotion took a little longer than expected but it's completed now. You can promote characters who are level X or higher as standard for SF as well as promote characters to a special class if they have a certain item in their inventory.

Due to popular request, I added some other features you might enjoy.
You can have multiple promotions such as Warrior -> Gladiator -> Warlord.
Special promotions can also take into consideration # of kills / defeats, stats, story state, whether they are poisoned / cursed, or any other global variables.

Should you utilize multiple promotions, you can do something like the following:
Mage -> Wizard -> GrandWizard
Mage -> Wizard -> BattleMage
Mage -> Sorcerer -> GrandSorcerer
Mage -> Sorcerer -> Warlock
Essentially, you now have more creative possibilities should you wish to go down that rout.

Edit:
Save and Load functions are done and appear to be working. I'll be tying them into the church and main menu shortly. For now, I decided to optimize the main menu a bit and add some new gameplay options.

Dialogue speed and Status effect mode were both added a while back, but never accessible. Perma-Death was also added. If you try to raise your characters when perma-death is enabled, the priest will say "Sorry, but even I cannot resurrect the dead."

Control config was also updated so you can no longer set 2 controls to the same button.

Difficulty and 'skip battle cutscenes' have also been added as placeholders for later on.

Edit:
Started working on the Advisor menu which will contain 'Talk', 'Join', 'Leave', and 'Help' functions. Talk allows you to have a friendly chat with your advisor (based on story state), join and leave are your basic add / remove people from the battle party functions, and help brings up the church menu. So far, 'help' is done and 'leave' is almost done.

Edit:
I finally got the tedious Advisor Menu done. The 4 options are Talk, Join, Leave, and Help.

Talk: Have a friendly chat with your advisor based on story state. (Sometimes required to advance plot)
Join: Add force members to your active battle party.
Leave: Remove people from your active battle party.
Help: Church functions.

I also added a global "Max battle party size" variable. By default it's set to 12. Karina's portrait has also been updated.

The remaining To-Do list for Alpha 1.4 is as follows.

-Fix Egress (Currently just restarts the battle and heals all characters)
-Add "Below ship map"
-Finish rigging characters for battle weapons
-Add ranged weapons (and exploding arrows) to battle cutscenes.
-Search in battle
-Battle platforms (Because y'all keep bugging me about this! lol)
-Polish existing dialogue / cutscenes.

PostPosted: Tue May 16 2017 4:05am
by Noma
This looks amazing, just posting so you don't have to keep editing your old post also.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Tue May 30 2017 9:14pm
by LordOddEye
Wow i'm actually so impressed I have very high hopes for this especially having programmed video games since third grade and this had always been one of my unrealized goals too. Now I'm almost graduated university.

Regards,

and good luck

Shawn

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14 2017 3:49am
by Chaoswizard98
Alright, I have finally completed the new demo. Although I didn't continue the story any in this update, much of the early game has been tweaked and fleshed out. The most notable changes being the addition of the cave and below ship maps, some secret cutscenes, weapons displaying in battle, being able to loot chests in battle, and the church/advisor menus (Finally got a way to save the game!).

Overall, the early game has a lot more exploration and some fun new cutscenes if you try searching for the renewal gem.

The full changelog can be found in the spoiler below.

And here's the new demo.
As always, if you encounter any errors, let me know how you managed to break my game. Send me a screenshot of any errors and if possible, hit F5 and send me the savestate that GM creates. (Not to be confused with the ones that the church menu creates).

Cheers!

~Chaos

Edit:
-Quick fix for medical herbs. Certain slots crashed the game and they also only restored 0 HP. These issues are now fixed and the link has been updated.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14 2017 9:27pm
by LordOddEye
Wow, that's the best way to describe it. :thumbsup: Everything looks so nice and fluid and I like the changes to the town meeting. Overall, a really solid alpha release I didn't get a chance to test all the features but I liked all the details I saw when playing.

Keep up your dedication to excellence!

Regards,

LordOddEye

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16 2017 4:42am
by Chaoswizard98
Yeah lol the town meeting was way too boring initially and felt out of place compared to how the story picks up and flows better later on. I figured I might as well make it a bit more interesting and cut out a bunch of pointless dialogue from it. Glad to know my change worked out for the better. :thumbsup:

Edit:
Here's a little update video with the changes seen in 1.4

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30 2017 9:04pm
by Caedmonball19
Things are looking great here Chaos! I can see some really exciting fan games coming out of this engine! Keep up the great work.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01 2017 4:20am
by Chaoswizard98
Speaking of the engine, I updated item use today. Essentially what I did is I created a generic Item use script that deals with most item uses (ie, conjuring spell effects). States and such of the generic script can be overwritten by the script of the actual item if you wanted to add, bypass, or change something. Examples include medical herbs (they skip the spell flash and creation of the spell animation), brave apples (they jump to the level up state), and power potions (they run their own custom 'grant this character 2-4 attack states).

Spells and Item effects were also combined into a single effects script due to them sharing 99% of the same variables. I also unofficially added status effects and mana restore to spells and items. Basically, they have a space allotted for them, but I haven't fully implemented those yet (probably tomorrow's task).

Nonetheless, I'm hoping to finish up items tomorrow and get enemy AI updated so that they too can use items. Should be a fun day tomorrow. :thumbsup:

Edit:
Status effects and Mana restore have been added to spells and items. These are stackable which means that a single spell or item can heal, restore mana, and cure all status ailments at the same time. I also updated the item use menu to allow for egressing from battle (ie, the angel wing). Oh right, and we have these new items as well.

+Healing Seed (Heals 20 HP)
+Healing Drop (Heals 30 HP)
+Healing Water (Full Heal)
+Antidote (Cures Poison)
+Fairy Powder (Cures all status ailments)
+Fairy Tear (Restores 20 MP)
+Shining Ball (Invokes Blaze 3)
+Blizzard (Invokes Freeze 3)
+Holy Thunder (Invokes Bolt 3)
+Angel Wing (Retreat from battle)

The antidote and fairy powder can be used to cure status ailments outside of battle.
The power potion can now be used during battle.

Edit:
Finally got around to adding the targeting of all characters (ie aura 4). This means that we now also have the last 2 items implemented as well. (Healing Rain and Light of Hope).

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03 2017 6:45pm
by Caedmonball19
That's quite the update! Nice job Chaos!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04 2017 9:45pm
by Chaoswizard98
Enemy AI has been updated to include healing items. If they can use the item this turn and their best target (the guy with the lowest % of HP remaining) has at least 25% of their health missing, they will use it to heal said target.

I also fixed a number of smaller issues with AI. First off, enemies were following the shortest path as opposed to the least cost path. In other words, they were trying to cut through forests as opposed to taking the longer (but faster) way along the roads.

The next thing that has been fixed is that groups of enemies had a tendency to form a single file line when moving towards their target. Not only was this kinda stupid looking, but it caused certain units to fall far behind the rest of the group. Now they will keep pace with the leader of the pack which means you can no longer pick them off one at a time.

And the final thing is that the 'threat / priority' functions have been tweaked as well. This should stop them from attacking their target from a different side each turn.

Edit: Enemies can now use offensive items (Shining Ball, ect) as well.

Edit: Enemy offensive magic AI has been fixed and enemies now have a heal spell AI. So in other words, Enemy magic is fully implemented.

Edit: Okay so. I overhauled the room transition stuff. It's now a lot cleaner and easier to add room transitions. Oh and we now have the transition that plays when walking to the edge of the map. (Panning one room into another). That being said, just a little more touch up work and the 1.5 update will finally be complete.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11 2017 6:02pm
by Caedmonball19
Looking forward to the next update. Would love to see a new video showcasing all the great stuff you are doing.

EDIT:
I thought of a couple things that might be nice options for people when making their games.
The option to have excess experience on leveling up either carry over or be zeroed out. I believe various shining games have handled this differently.
The option to have your hp/mp actively increase when leveling up. What I mean is in shining games you level up and you hp increase by 2 hp you don't actually get that right away. It might be a nice option to have that be usuable hp or mp right away. I am thinking moreso early on when that extra heal spell might be needed.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16 2017 4:34pm
by Chaoswizard98
Well apparently my last post didn't go through when I hit submit, so let's try this again.

Carry over EXP and HP/MP increase have been added to global game settings script.

And here's a quick update video showing off items and magic as well as the enemy AI when using such things.

Down to 2 major features now (Barring anything I forgot and any other minor 1-off quirks found in the SF games). Factions (also encompasses muddle, control units, and general character code re-work) and Shops. Shops are a 1-off that doesn't really effect the rest of the code on a global scale like the character code rework does to that shouldn't take too long.

Overall, I can't wait to share the rest of the story with you guys. It's been painful for me to try not to spoil anything, but fortunately, I'll be able to start working solely on story related stuff soon. I do want to do one last re-code of the engine at some point to clean everything up and tie up any loose ends, but I think I'll hold off until I finish the game first (Really this depends on how many road blocks I run into with the factions implementation). I'm way too excited to finally share the story to come.

Edit:
Most of the game takes place on Athalen, however the prologue / backstory of everything takes place on their home continent of Verdius. I figured you guys might like to know where these characters came from so I present to you, The Continent of Verdius.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17 2017 8:57pm
by Caedmonball19
I need to try viewing on another device cause no videos show on my iPhone. I'm excited to see he updates though. I cannot recall if it was added already but do you have the ability for the SF3 battle where the team split up and the main team had 1 task while the remaining members had another task? I always hated that battle since I didn't level up my bench but the ability to recreate would be nice for some I imagine.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17 2017 10:56pm
by Chaoswizard98
Caedmonball19 wrote:I cannot recall if it was added already but do you have the ability for the SF3 battle where the team split up and the main team had 1 task while the remaining members had another task?

It depends on what you want to do. I'm not too familiar with SF3, but the battle you mentioned has been brought to my attention a few times. From what I understand, this battle has those in your active battle party face off against one group of enemies, and your reserve members face off against another. In short, main group spawns in one area, reserves spawn in another.

As of right now, I don't have anything that can check the reserves list, however one could theoretically copy paste the main group one and change it so that it looks at reserves. I'll add it to the to-do list for 1.6. This also reminds me of SFCD book 2 where the team is split up and you actually have 2 different teams which are determined by the game. Although you can force certain characters to appear in battle, it doesn't support 2 split teams in town yet. It's a planned feature for down the line.

Edit:
Started working on fixing up the character code. It's one of the first things I added to the game, so cleaning it up has been long overdue. When it's done, it will have support for multiple factions, AI overrides, controlling all units, and a bunch of other minor things. I'm hoping to finish this before I leave for vacation (this Friday) but it's a huge undertaking so I have no idea how long this is going to take.

Edit:
I managed to implement Factions as well as controlling enemy units. I still have some touch up work to do with it, and a lot more testing, but so far, it looks like everything works.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22 2017 7:45pm
by Caedmonball19
That is looking great! Can't wait for the next demo to come out. I would be happy to test when you are ready.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31 2017 4:32am
by bum_199
looks like this is getting better and better. on a separate note i ended up having to find your youtube channel for the videos because they aren't showing up for me here.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14 2017 4:58am
by Aevoa
Would the complete version possibly be added to Steam?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24 2017 10:22pm
by Caedmonball19
Any updates Chaos? seems like you are in the home stretch.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25 2017 3:34am
by Chaoswizard98
Yes I have updates lol. I've been trying to record a video for 2 weeks now but I kept getting interrupted mid recording forcing me to start over XD. But either way, I finally managed to get it done early this morning (and if I sound tired during the video, that's why lol).

And here's the direct link in case the browser blocks the embedded video.
https://youtu.be/Oi3Mq9HaAQk

Anyways, character code has been completely re-done. Now overriding events is much easier. Want to control enemy units? Want your characters to make their own decisions and have the game play itself? Well, both are possible now lol. Also, support for factions has been added.

You can create as many factions as you want. Each faction has 2 lists 'allies' and 'enemies.' Simply toss the other factions onto those lists and targeting and their AI will change accordingly. Basically, if the player is allies with Faction A, the player will be able to give items to, and heal that faction. If the player is enemies with Faction A, they cant heal or trade, but they can attack them. One way relationships also work, so if you wanted a group to attack the player but have the player unable to fight back, that's possible.

==============================

The next demo I release will likely contain the entirety of Chapter 1. That being said, I'll be working more on script writing, art, map design, and all that stuff for a while. I've got most of the next cutscene done, I just need to end a fight / argument and add finish adding the optional Jamie stuff if you convince her to come with. I also updated Jason's portrait so he is no longer 'Blue Bowie.' Max and Ciera will be receiving updated portraits too. Kira will get hers once I decide on which rout I want to take for her character.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25 2017 4:09pm
by Caedmonball19
Wow looking great! This new update will be great for those people wanting to make SF3 like scenarios where different units came into the battle. Should make for some fun storylines. Can't wait for the next demo to come out.
EDIT:
Chaos are you still planning on making the sprite size an editable feature? As I start pondering my own game I am wondering if I can use sprites I've already made or if I need to create new ones. I wasn't sure what this did your engine by changing sprite sizes.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29 2017 11:50pm
by Chaoswizard98
Sprite size is already changeable since it's only the collision masks that matter. In other words, a character like Zeon is much larger than 24 x 24, but he is still only bound to a single 24 x 24 tile.

Now as far as changing the actual tile size goes, yes I want to make that a changeable setting eventually, but as of right now it's all hardcoded. It's really just a simple matter of changing every instance of (24) in the code to some global variable, though that might take a while as it appears pretty much everywhere in my codebase lol.

Anyways, I finished writing the dialogue for the next cutscene. I don't think it's too long, but it IS the longest cutscene yet. Nonetheless, there is 7 dialogue scripts I need to write for if you decide to talk to your team members before starting battle 3, 3 cutscenes (2 hopefully short ones, and one that might end up being as long as this one), and 3 battles to go before I finish all of chapter 1.

Edit: Ciera's portrait has been updated. She is no longer orange Mayfair. :thumbsup: Updating Max is the next task.

Edit: The new character portraits are in!

Edit: Huge optimization to AI. I removed the need for the fluff code so it should be easier to read. Now all you need to do to set up AI is to create a list of things you want your AI to try in the order you want it to try it in. For example, Most characters would try to attack a target in their range, if there are no targets in their range, then walk towards the closest target.

In short, AI quite literally is a list of 1 line code functions that translate to something like this:

Use Medical Herb //try using medical herb (if you have it), if you have 0 targets OR no one really needs healing, try the next thing on the list.
Cast Heal Spell //Try casting heal (if you have the MP for it) if you have 0 targets OR no one really needs healing, try the next thing on the list.
Use shining ball //Can we hit a target with the shining ball? And I'm sure you get the point by now
Cast blaze
Attack target
Move closer to target
Stay Put //All else fails, just end your turn

There is also support for multiple different threat functions when selecting a target.
There are 2 more arguments to further enhance AI crafting, 'minimum distance' which says "if my target is more than x spaces away, then this function will fail (in the case of pathing to characters outside of attack range)" and "minimum threat" which is simply "if my possible heal / heal item targets are missing less than X% of their health, they don't need healing"

Edit: I finished the rough sketch of the terrain for the next 4 battles of chapter 1 as well as another corner piece to finish off the coastline of the area. This means 5 maps in total. I decided to add an extra battle as it seemed to fit better mapwise.

Edit: The road to chapter 1 continues. The overworld tileset is now complete (unless there's some random piece I'm missing. I wont know until I need it lol.). As far as the next 5 maps go, all are roughly tiled out in the room editor. The first is completely done and the second is mostly done. And since I'm such a nice guy, I'll give you a sneak peak of the next 4 battles.

It's really hard to NOT work on chapter 2's maps right now and the unfinished parts of the grid are driving me crazy. Oh well, chapter 1 comes first!

Edit: After 3 days of pounding my head into a wall, I finally managed to come up with a design I'm happy with for Valdrfjell. I feel like it's a little bit on the large side taking up 4 maps in total, but overall, I like the design. The next step is to fancify the rough outline, make the tileset, and move the maps to my main project.

Edit: Battles 3 and 4 are officially done and the main town area is finished. Down to battles 5, 6, cutscenes, and new character portraits now.

Edit: Battle 5 is done! Only one more battle to go and the combat side of the demo is done.

Edit: All battles are complete and in working order. I'm currently working on playing my way through the game and adding the post battle cutscenes / linking up the various maps (SF2 exploration style). It's rather tedious, but hopefully I'll have this next demo out before the end of the month.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21 2017 4:27am
by Caedmonball19
Looks like you are in need of a bump to show off all of your edits :)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28 2017 5:35pm
by Chaoswizard98
Caedmonball19 wrote:Looks like you are in need of a bump to show off all of your edits

Lol thanks man, I appreciate it. :thumbsup:

I've been quite busy this last week and haven't had too much time to work on this project so progress has been slower than I'd like. Anyways I ended up re-doing battles 4 and 5 to make them flow a bit better and to make them slightly more challenging. Battle 5 may be a little too difficult, but eh, I'll let you guys decide on that during the next demo.

I'm currently working on the two small cutscenes between battles 5 and 6, and will re-balance battle 6 after that. Then the task of completing the final nightmare of a cutscene to chapter 1 begins... I hope you're happy with the way I've chosen to end chapter 1!

Edit:
I don't really consider this a spoiler but some of you might. This is the minimap image of battle 5. :thumbsup:

Edit:
All battles are now balanced and all the cutscenes that surround them are complete. Now it's down to 5 character portraits / overworld sprites, filling the town with NPCs, and the final cutscene.

Edit:
Today was a productive day. Town is now linked with the overworld / battle maps. I started work on fleshing out the town with searchables and NPCs, however the NPC's don't have any dialogue yet. I also added 8 '1 way door' objects to the game which I needed for ledges. And the final thing that was added today was the GameMaster cheat to the options menu. Essentially it allows you to control every unit on the map. I may make it so that it only becomes available if you have a save file from the end of the demo, but I'm not sure yet.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18 2017 4:44pm
by NoGood
Found this demo yesterday. It's great.
I hope you will make SF rejoice soon with your promised demo. I personally can't wait!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20 2017 5:59am
by b4mv
I've been away from this place for a very long time. It's really great to see these projects continue to be worked on. Looking through this thread, I'm extremely impressed by everything you've been able to accomplish. Keep up the good work!!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24 2017 6:54pm
by Chaoswizard98
Chapter 1 is now available!

Download: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VfFm-c ... sp=sharing

Edit:
Here's a little teaser video for chapter 1!
https://youtu.be/ZjUefPPIRoQ

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01 2017 6:30pm
by Explothon
Sorry, but it's really funny)))

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02 2017 4:05am
by Chaoswizard98
That's glorious. :thumbsup:

If anyone's curious, this is my brain on cutscene.

Edit:
So I'm attempting something that I have no idea how I'm going to get to work. I'd give you more information that that, but that would ruin the eventual surprise. :thumbsup:

Anywho, I'm working on adding a few more AI triggers to the game. Currently getting the death of a character to trigger an update in AI to other effected characters.

Edit:
-Fixed a bug with level schemes. Darn typos lol.
The enemy death trigger is now added. Now if a certain enemy (or group of enemies) is wiped out, that can cause an update in AI for other units, cause currently hidden units to instantly reveal themselves, cause units to change teams or take poison damage, and so much more. Tyadran also requested the ability for relative spawning. In other words, if a slime mob dies, it can be split into several smaller slimes around that area. :thumbsup:

Edit:
Here's a little Christmas present for you guys. I added a challenge map to the game and you can get there by setting 'Challenge Mode' to true in the options menu and then starting a new game. This battle puts your 6 characters against all 66 enemies seen in chapter 1 in a single battle royale. It takes an incredible amount of strategy, skill, perseverance, and a little luck to beat this thing. Good luck to those who want to attempt it! (You're going to need it!)

Download: (Version 1.6.2)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gJQsh2 ... sp=sharing

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23 2017 2:57am
by bum_199
looking good thought id bump this when i saw how many edits youve through lol

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25 2017 4:01pm
by Chaoswizard98
On the first day of Christmas Chaos gave to me, more magic spells to blast my enemy.

Sleep, Dispel, Attack, Boost, and Slow have been added to the game and spells now have access to poison as well.

Status effects now have 'potency' and 'turns remaining' variables if anyone wanted to use them. If not, they can simply be ignored and will run as you would expect with SF1-2. All debuff effects are able to be added to a character's base stat and weapons / items as well. So... We now have annoying bats that put you to sleep for 10+ rounds even though you have a 25% chance to wake up >.>

+Added 'loser pity bonus' to level ups.
-Fixed 'trying to draw unknown surface' issue. (Hopefully)
-Fixed 'light of hope' only restoring the user's mana.
-Counter attack damage has been corrected. You no longer always hit 1s.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16 2018 3:55pm
by DiegoMM
Playing it after a long time. Im loving it. Cant wait to see more features!

Question 1: Its possible a character have 2 types of weapon and diferent cutscene animation for each? i.e. A ninja who can equip a katana and shurikens, the attacks should be very diferent.

Question 2: You started work on promotions already? It will be possible multiple promotions?

Question 3: f5 is quick save, where is quick load? :shifty:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16 2018 4:37pm
by Chaoswizard98
DiegoMM wrote:Question 1: Its possible a character have 2 types of weapon and diferent cutscene animation for each?

Not sure how far you've gotten, but Kira has a different animation for her melee and ranged attacks. So... yes lol.

DiegoMM wrote:Question 2: You started work on promotions already? It will be possible multiple promotions?

Yup. You can have multiple tiers of promotions, special promotions, branching promotions, etc. As far as special promotions go, you could test for kills, deaths, if they are currently poisoned / cursed, if they have a certain item in their inventory, and all the other global variables.

DiegoMM wrote:Question 3: f5 is quick save, where is quick load?

f5 is quicksave and f6 is quick load. Be warned that those are default gamemaker functions and are highly unstable. Hence they should only be used for debug purposes. It's best to save by talking to your advisor instead. This way the save doesn't break between versions lol.

============================
Edit: (2/1/18)

Hey guys it's been a while since I posted an update. I've been working on code cleanup lately so I don't have too many new features to share. The main menu was re-done to give challenges, cheats, and game settings their own tabs to avoid clutter. There is also a placeholder for achievements as well.

Regarding Cheats:
Using them will disable achievements (when those are added) and challenges wont be marked as 'completed' if you beat them while using cheats.

Regarding Challenges:
These wont have anything to do with the main story and are there to give the hardcore players a true challenge. Your team, items, and levels are pre-determined and based on the challenge you face. Egressing cannot be used to farm for Exp and will simply restart the challenge.

There's also been a ton of elemental damages and resistances added to the game. Oh right, and as per usual, weapons, items, and character stats all have access to these variables.

I also re-did the camera system as GameMaker's default camera was giving me all kinds of problems. But on the bright side, we now have an option for both SF1 (Player is always on the center of the screen) and SF2 (Player can walk around a bit before the camera starts following) camera types. Oh and screen shake. That's working now too!

Characters now have an independent variable for the sprite they are using, so that's no longer tied to their ID and class. In other words, Max can now have that chicken form from SF1 lol.

Spells got an override script. So if a certain spell requires some custom tomfoolery, you can add that without breaking the main script.

AI controlled units now have an additional AI Trigger variable which can be manually set throughout the battle. Now they can look at both battle state (what region the player is in) and this variable as well. This makes things like 'oh, my friend died, I should probably run away now, or avenge his death' possible.

'Hit Chance' variable was added in anticipation for the addition of the muddle spell. (Muddle will be coming soonish...)

Movement Type can now be overwritten by weapons or items. Ever wanted a ring that switches your movement type to flying?

Counter attack damage was fixed. You now do 50% damage as opposed to the 25% that it was set to prior.

================

Much more stuff to come though. I've got a few more things left on the To-do list yet, but hopefully I'll be feature complete within the next month or two.

================

Oh and if anyone's interested, a few of us who are working on fan games and rom hacks have set up a discord channel to chat, share our work, and bounce ideas back and forth. If you want to swing by and say hi, you're more than welcome to!

Discord: https://discord.gg/cHFzAed

================

Edit: 2/16/18.

New Spells not seen in Shining Force before...
https://youtu.be/SVc8xFH3tMk

And NPC circuits have been added to the game.
https://youtu.be/yvopi1coh8Y

Enjoy!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11 2018 1:23pm
by bum_199
Wow this is looking better and better. I'm so glad you figured out a way to summon new units! all the progress you do is great but that really brought a smile to my face. since you can target terrain with spells now you give much thought to terrain altering spells?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12 2018 1:15am
by Chaoswizard98
I haven't really given it much thought, but since you can target the actual terrain, there really isn't much that's stopping you from changing its terrain type to something else. After all, you're just changing the value of a variable.

Getting them to visually update though... that would be a nightmare to add because of all of the possible edge tile combinations.

Edit: 3/30/18

1 down, 3 to go...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03 2018 2:12pm
by stefanos2k10
woooo keep up the excellent work chaos

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15 2018 9:01pm
by Chaoswizard98
New update for LoS: (Beta 1.0)
This was a huge quality of life update and much of the core code has been changed. If I could get a few people to test it out, that would be great! As always, let me know if you find any bugs.

This update contains all of Chapter 1, a 'Control Enemies' cheat, the 6vs66 challege map (Good luck! you're going to need it!), and my Debug Test room which contains some new spells for you to mess with (Quake and Summon). Chapter 1 aside, all other features are accessed via the 'Options' portion of the main menu.

Download:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1quNaKU ... sp=sharing

Edit:
Updated download link. There was a bug preventing you from starting battle 6 which has been corrected.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18 2018 11:46am
by stefanos2k10
woot ill try it when i can

PostPosted: Wed May 09 2018 5:51pm
by Chaoswizard98
Alright, I have 2 announcements today.

First off, I have a beta build available of the engine for anyone who has GameMaker 8.1 or GameMaker Studio. From what I hear, GameMaker Studio 2 comes with GameMaker Studio 1, so theoretically GMS2 users should be able to use it as well, but as I don't have it myself, I can't confirm that.

Some things to note before downloading the engine:
1. This is a beta build. Expect bugs, especially in the GMS version as I mainly use 8.1.
2. I don't have a tutorial or anything yet. This build is mainly for those with experience using GM so that I can get feedback on how to better optimize the codebase, and find bugs.
3. Both the 8.1 and GMS versions contain Chapter 1 of my game so you can reverse engineer it and see how it's done.
4. The GMS version has a small issue with Background Music that I haven't bothered fixing yet. 8.1 automatically stops the current BGM from playing if you start playing another. GMS requires you to manually shut off the current BGM before playing the next. Otherwise it starts playing both at the same time. I've yet to go through Chapter 1 and fix all the sound issues, but just be aware that they exist.
5. Map transitions need to be completely re-done for the GMS version as they removed the built in functions. The game still works as you'd expect, but the overworld transitions are instant rather than the SF2 style pan to the next room. I'll be updating those functions at a later date.

If you have access to GM 8.1 or GMS and want to take a look at the project file, shoot me a PM with your version of GameMaker and I'll send you the link.

===============================

Anywho,
I officially started working on Chapter 2.

I created a rough draft of the world map as well as some other smaller maps seen in chapter 2. The scripts for the first 2 cutscenes have also been written, though they still need a bit of a polish.

World Map:

PostPosted: Fri May 11 2018 12:55pm
by stefanos2k10
Chaoswizard98 wrote:Alright, I have 2 announcements today.

First off, I have a beta build available of the engine for anyone who has GameMaker 8.1 or GameMaker Studio. From what I hear, GameMaker Studio 2 comes with GameMaker Studio 1, so theoretically GMS2 users should be able to use it as well, but as I don't have it myself, I can't confirm that.

Some things to note before downloading the engine:
1. This is a beta build. Expect bugs, especially in the GMS version as I mainly use 8.1.
2. I don't have a tutorial or anything yet. This build is mainly for those with experience using GM so that I can get feedback on how to better optimize the codebase, and find bugs.
3. Both the 8.1 and GMS versions contain Chapter 1 of my game so you can reverse engineer it and see how it's done.
4. The GMS version has a small issue with Background Music that I haven't bothered fixing yet. 8.1 automatically stops the current BGM from playing if you start playing another. GMS requires you to manually shut off the current BGM before playing the next. Otherwise it starts playing both at the same time. I've yet to go through Chapter 1 and fix all the sound issues, but just be aware that they exist.
5. Map transitions need to be completely re-done for the GMS version as they removed the built in functions. The game still works as you'd expect, but the overworld transitions are instant rather than the SF2 style pan to the next room. I'll be updating those functions at a later date.

If you have access to GM 8.1 or GMS and want to take a look at the project file, shoot me a PM with your version of GameMaker and I'll send you the link.

===============================

Anywho,
I officially started working on Chapter 2.

I created a rough draft of the world map as well as some other smaller maps seen in chapter 2. The scripts for the first 2 cutscenes have also been written, though they still need a bit of a polish.

World Map:

SUPER HYPED

PostPosted: Fri May 11 2018 5:38pm
by Morath
Chaoswizard98 wrote:New update for LoS: (Beta 1.0)

I just tried this out quickly and got through the first fight without problems. I had a bug screen popup when Kira and Max get into a dust-up on the docks. I tried to continue by clicking ignore but the game was frozen (I didn't read the error message - sorry).

Here are my impressions (from about 5 minutes of play): it's obvious that care was put into making this game have that shining force feel during battle (from details as small as how the screen is positioned when switching between units on the battlefield and the unit selection sound effects, etc.), nevertheless I do appreciate that you're taking advantage of the fact that on modern (more powerful) computers you can have bigger maps and more quickly scroll between units and stuff like this. It gets me wondering whether there could be massive battles with like 30 vs 120 down the line hehe.

Looking great!

PostPosted: Fri May 11 2018 6:12pm
by Chaoswizard98
If you could try getting to that point again and seeing if the bug still happens that would be super helpful. And either screenshot it or copy paste the error lol.

You can save the game by talking to the old guy in town before the cutscene just in case. Either way, I'll test it when I get home as I'm at work right now.

To answer your question about giant battles.
Yes. You can create giant battles. I'm not sure what exactly the limitations of that are, but so far the most units on a map at once has been 72. I'll see if I can spam a map with units just to see what happens lol.

Thanks for the support!

Edit:
The issue has been fixed!
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lTfG94 ... sp=sharing

PostPosted: Sat May 12 2018 4:39pm
by Morath
Ok, I was able to replicate the error:

for object CutsceneControler:

In script GlobalCutsceneCalls:
In script Cutscene06:
Error in code at line 233:
with(CharacterAnimationControler){
^
at position 15: Unknown variable CharacterAnimationControler

hope that helps.

PostPosted: Sat May 12 2018 4:43pm
by Chaoswizard98
Lol, what timing. You posted right as I updated the download link with the fixed version.

I removed all of my obsolete objects last update but missed one of the calls. The issue should now be fixed!

Download:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lTfG94 ... sp=sharing

PostPosted: Sat May 12 2018 7:22pm
by Morath
Ok, I played beta 1.0.2 to the end of chapter 1; here are some notes:

• really digging second and third battle musics
  • music looping could be improved
  • the personalities of the different characters are distinct and consistent; well done
  • also love the multi-team battles
  • funny glitch: the archers that accompany you in the fourth fight can move outside of their move outline to end their turn within their move outline
  • "And learned the DETOX spell" line of text was a little too long to fit into the the text box border
  • you got the aliied archers to be able to use items on the force and Ciera able to heal allied archers: cool
  • small quality of life things: when there are simple messages with only one outcome (to move past the message) such as the message "Not enough magic!" the back button could also move past the message and back button could speed text similar to the select button
  • awesome end of chapter 1

Also, a piece of advice for others: I was stupidly running the game from inside the .zip file and was losing my save when relaunching the game (probably it was being saved in some temp folder); if you extract the .zip to somewhere then saves work fine. Overall this was a nice chill way to spend a saturday morning, thank you ChaosWizard98!

PostPosted: Sun May 13 2018 3:50am
by Chaoswizard98
Morath wrote: music looping could be improved.

Yeah, my version of GameMaker doesn't handle BGM very well. I cant use fade functions on MP3 files which is why you get a hard stop when changing the BGM. You did specifically mention looping though, which I have not noticed any issues with myself. If this is the case, I wonder if GM handles sound differently on different computers.

Morath wrote: The personalities of the different characters are distinct and consistent; well done.

Keeping the characters unique is definitely something that I'm trying to do. Hopefully I don't run out of ideas before I'm done lol.

Morath wrote: funny glitch: the archers that accompany you in the fourth fight can move outside of their move outline to end their turn within their move outline

o.O I thought I fixed that issue ages ago... The definitely SHOULDNT be doing this. I'll take a look at it lol. Thanks for the heads up! :thumbsup:

Morath wrote: "And learned the DETOX spell" line of text was a little too long to fit into the the text box border

I probably forgot to throw it in the word wrap function first. I'll get that fixed. :thumbsup:

Morath wrote:you got the aliied archers to be able to use items on the force and Ciera able to heal allied archers: cool

Oh yeah, I added support for multiple factions. Each faction has its own unique relationship with the other factions, meaning you can also create 1 sided relationships. Battle 4 contains 5 unique factions (Player, Hunters, Monsters, Wolves, Gerbits). You'll notice that the wolves will hunt down the Gerbits, but the snakes and bats will ignore them completely. The hunters consider you allies and the monsters and wolves their enemies, so they will attack members of those factions, and heal themselves and the player.

Morath wrote:small quality of life things: when there are simple messages with only one outcome (to move past the message) such as the message "Not enough magic!" the back button could also move past the message and back button could speed text similar to the select button

Noted. I will get that fixed when I get the chance. :thumbsup:

Morath wrote:awesome end of chapter 1

Heh yeah, that cutscene took ages to make lol. Glad you enjoyed it!

Morath wrote:Also, a piece of advice for others: I was stupidly running the game from inside the .zip file and was losing my save when relaunching the game (probably it was being saved in some temp folder); if you extract the .zip to somewhere then saves work fine.

I'm surprised it actually ran for you while in the zip folder. Normally it tells me to extract it first and refuses to run at all while in the zip folder.

Morath wrote:Overall this was a nice chill way to spend a saturday morning, thank you ChaosWizard98!

You're welcome! Glad you enjoyed it! I'll see you in chapter 2!
(Unless of course you spend next Saturday trying to beat the 6vs66 challenge battle in the options menu. lol)

PostPosted: Fri May 18 2018 4:40am
by Alexander_13
nice hack :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Fri May 18 2018 11:50am
by stefanos2k10
Alexander_13 wrote:nice hack :thumbsup:

its not a hack hes made it from the ground upwards :shock:

PostPosted: Wed May 23 2018 10:08am
by bum_199
hey i started playing the latest version and its great. im sad to report though i found a bug. after the boat crashed on the new continent i did the next battle and it was fine. the battle after that one had problems though. i dont know what caused it but the screen went completely white after an attack. it didnt freeze. pushing z took me to another white screen almost like it flashed.

PostPosted: Sun May 27 2018 6:03pm
by Chaoswizard98
Yeah, I'm aware of this but I'm not entirely sure what the cause is. It's got something to do with the application surface not being updated and it happens randomly. I'll try purging the surface data occasionally and see if that fixes the issue.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07 2018 8:14am
by RedArcher
Played the last demo yesterday. Really enjoyed it :thumbsup: . Looking forward for more.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25 2018 10:52pm
by ExevaloN
Glad to know this project is still going strong, will have to check the demo out some time.