Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Fanwork
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

The Legend of Syro (Fan Game)

Chapter 1 now available!

Share, discuss or get ideas for your Shining Fanwork here! Anything from fanfic and fanart to homebrew Shining games and midi composition!

Re: The Legend of Syro (Fan Game)

Postby NoGood » Sat Nov 18 2017 4:44pm

Found this demo yesterday. It's great.
I hope you will make SF rejoice soon with your promised demo. I personally can't wait!
NoGood

Postby b4mv » Mon Nov 20 2017 5:59am

I've been away from this place for a very long time. It's really great to see these projects continue to be worked on. Looking through this thread, I'm extremely impressed by everything you've been able to accomplish. Keep up the good work!!
b4mv

Postby Chaoswizard98 » Fri Nov 24 2017 6:54pm

Chapter 1 is now available!

Download: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VfFm-c ... sp=sharing

Edit:
Here's a little teaser video for chapter 1!
https://youtu.be/ZjUefPPIRoQ
Creator of the GameMaker Shining Engine and "The Legend of Syro" Fan Game. (WIP)
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=26022
Creator of the GameMaker Shining Engine and "The Legend of Syro" Fan Game. (WIP)
Chaoswizard98

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Explothon » Fri Dec 01 2017 6:30pm

Sorry, but it's really funny)))
Explothon

Postby Chaoswizard98 » Sat Dec 02 2017 4:05am

That's glorious. :thumbsup:

If anyone's curious, this is my brain on cutscene.

WARNING: SPOILER!

Edit:
So I'm attempting something that I have no idea how I'm going to get to work. I'd give you more information that that, but that would ruin the eventual surprise. :thumbsup:

Anywho, I'm working on adding a few more AI triggers to the game. Currently getting the death of a character to trigger an update in AI to other effected characters.

Edit:
-Fixed a bug with level schemes. Darn typos lol.
The enemy death trigger is now added. Now if a certain enemy (or group of enemies) is wiped out, that can cause an update in AI for other units, cause currently hidden units to instantly reveal themselves, cause units to change teams or take poison damage, and so much more. Tyadran also requested the ability for relative spawning. In other words, if a slime mob dies, it can be split into several smaller slimes around that area. :thumbsup:

Edit:
Here's a little Christmas present for you guys. I added a challenge map to the game and you can get there by setting 'Challenge Mode' to true in the options menu and then starting a new game. This battle puts your 6 characters against all 66 enemies seen in chapter 1 in a single battle royale. It takes an incredible amount of strategy, skill, perseverance, and a little luck to beat this thing. Good luck to those who want to attempt it! (You're going to need it!)

Download: (Version 1.6.2)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gJQsh2 ... sp=sharing
Chaoswizard98

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby bum_199 » Sat Dec 23 2017 2:57am

looking good thought id bump this when i saw how many edits youve through lol
bum_199

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Chaoswizard98 » Mon Dec 25 2017 4:01pm

On the first day of Christmas Chaos gave to me, more magic spells to blast my enemy.

Sleep, Dispel, Attack, Boost, and Slow have been added to the game and spells now have access to poison as well.

Status effects now have 'potency' and 'turns remaining' variables if anyone wanted to use them. If not, they can simply be ignored and will run as you would expect with SF1-2. All debuff effects are able to be added to a character's base stat and weapons / items as well. So... We now have annoying bats that put you to sleep for 10+ rounds even though you have a 25% chance to wake up >.>

+Added 'loser pity bonus' to level ups.
-Fixed 'trying to draw unknown surface' issue. (Hopefully)
-Fixed 'light of hope' only restoring the user's mana.
-Counter attack damage has been corrected. You no longer always hit 1s.
Chaoswizard98

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby DiegoMM » Tue Jan 16 2018 3:55pm

Playing it after a long time. Im loving it. Cant wait to see more features!

Question 1: Its possible a character have 2 types of weapon and diferent cutscene animation for each? i.e. A ninja who can equip a katana and shurikens, the attacks should be very diferent.

Question 2: You started work on promotions already? It will be possible multiple promotions?

Question 3: f5 is quick save, where is quick load? :shifty:
I learned english playing Shining Force 2!
I learned english playing Shining Force 2!
DiegoMM

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Chaoswizard98 » Tue Jan 16 2018 4:37pm

DiegoMM wrote:Question 1: Its possible a character have 2 types of weapon and diferent cutscene animation for each?

Not sure how far you've gotten, but Kira has a different animation for her melee and ranged attacks. So... yes lol.

DiegoMM wrote:Question 2: You started work on promotions already? It will be possible multiple promotions?

Yup. You can have multiple tiers of promotions, special promotions, branching promotions, etc. As far as special promotions go, you could test for kills, deaths, if they are currently poisoned / cursed, if they have a certain item in their inventory, and all the other global variables.

DiegoMM wrote:Question 3: f5 is quick save, where is quick load?

f5 is quicksave and f6 is quick load. Be warned that those are default gamemaker functions and are highly unstable. Hence they should only be used for debug purposes. It's best to save by talking to your advisor instead. This way the save doesn't break between versions lol.

============================
Edit: (2/1/18)

Hey guys it's been a while since I posted an update. I've been working on code cleanup lately so I don't have too many new features to share. The main menu was re-done to give challenges, cheats, and game settings their own tabs to avoid clutter. There is also a placeholder for achievements as well.

Regarding Cheats:
Using them will disable achievements (when those are added) and challenges wont be marked as 'completed' if you beat them while using cheats.

Regarding Challenges:
These wont have anything to do with the main story and are there to give the hardcore players a true challenge. Your team, items, and levels are pre-determined and based on the challenge you face. Egressing cannot be used to farm for Exp and will simply restart the challenge.

There's also been a ton of elemental damages and resistances added to the game. Oh right, and as per usual, weapons, items, and character stats all have access to these variables.

I also re-did the camera system as GameMaker's default camera was giving me all kinds of problems. But on the bright side, we now have an option for both SF1 (Player is always on the center of the screen) and SF2 (Player can walk around a bit before the camera starts following) camera types. Oh and screen shake. That's working now too!

Characters now have an independent variable for the sprite they are using, so that's no longer tied to their ID and class. In other words, Max can now have that chicken form from SF1 lol.

Spells got an override script. So if a certain spell requires some custom tomfoolery, you can add that without breaking the main script.

AI controlled units now have an additional AI Trigger variable which can be manually set throughout the battle. Now they can look at both battle state (what region the player is in) and this variable as well. This makes things like 'oh, my friend died, I should probably run away now, or avenge his death' possible.

'Hit Chance' variable was added in anticipation for the addition of the muddle spell. (Muddle will be coming soonish...)

Movement Type can now be overwritten by weapons or items. Ever wanted a ring that switches your movement type to flying?

Counter attack damage was fixed. You now do 50% damage as opposed to the 25% that it was set to prior.

================

Much more stuff to come though. I've got a few more things left on the To-do list yet, but hopefully I'll be feature complete within the next month or two.

================

Oh and if anyone's interested, a few of us who are working on fan games and rom hacks have set up a discord channel to chat, share our work, and bounce ideas back and forth. If you want to swing by and say hi, you're more than welcome to!

Discord: https://discord.gg/cHFzAed

================

Edit: 2/16/18.

New Spells not seen in Shining Force before...
https://youtu.be/SVc8xFH3tMk

And NPC circuits have been added to the game.
https://youtu.be/yvopi1coh8Y

Enjoy!
Chaoswizard98

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby bum_199 » Sun Mar 11 2018 1:23pm

Wow this is looking better and better. I'm so glad you figured out a way to summon new units! all the progress you do is great but that really brought a smile to my face. since you can target terrain with spells now you give much thought to terrain altering spells?
bum_199

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Chaoswizard98 » Mon Mar 12 2018 1:15am

I haven't really given it much thought, but since you can target the actual terrain, there really isn't much that's stopping you from changing its terrain type to something else. After all, you're just changing the value of a variable.

Getting them to visually update though... that would be a nightmare to add because of all of the possible edge tile combinations.

Edit: 3/30/18

1 down, 3 to go...

Chaoswizard98

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby stefanos2k10 » Tue Apr 03 2018 2:12pm

woooo keep up the excellent work chaos
stefanos2k10

Postby Chaoswizard98 » Sun Apr 15 2018 9:01pm

New update for LoS: (Beta 1.0)
This was a huge quality of life update and much of the core code has been changed. If I could get a few people to test it out, that would be great! As always, let me know if you find any bugs.

This update contains all of Chapter 1, a 'Control Enemies' cheat, the 6vs66 challege map (Good luck! you're going to need it!), and my Debug Test room which contains some new spells for you to mess with (Quake and Summon). Chapter 1 aside, all other features are accessed via the 'Options' portion of the main menu.

Download:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1quNaKU ... sp=sharing

Edit:
Updated download link. There was a bug preventing you from starting battle 6 which has been corrected.
Last edited by Chaoswizard98 on Fri Apr 27 2018 4:50pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chaoswizard98

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby stefanos2k10 » Wed Apr 18 2018 11:46am

woot ill try it when i can
stefanos2k10

Postby Chaoswizard98 » Wed May 09 2018 5:51pm

Alright, I have 2 announcements today.

First off, I have a beta build available of the engine for anyone who has GameMaker 8.1 or GameMaker Studio. From what I hear, GameMaker Studio 2 comes with GameMaker Studio 1, so theoretically GMS2 users should be able to use it as well, but as I don't have it myself, I can't confirm that.

Some things to note before downloading the engine:
1. This is a beta build. Expect bugs, especially in the GMS version as I mainly use 8.1.
2. I don't have a tutorial or anything yet. This build is mainly for those with experience using GM so that I can get feedback on how to better optimize the codebase, and find bugs.
3. Both the 8.1 and GMS versions contain Chapter 1 of my game so you can reverse engineer it and see how it's done.
4. The GMS version has a small issue with Background Music that I haven't bothered fixing yet. 8.1 automatically stops the current BGM from playing if you start playing another. GMS requires you to manually shut off the current BGM before playing the next. Otherwise it starts playing both at the same time. I've yet to go through Chapter 1 and fix all the sound issues, but just be aware that they exist.
5. Map transitions need to be completely re-done for the GMS version as they removed the built in functions. The game still works as you'd expect, but the overworld transitions are instant rather than the SF2 style pan to the next room. I'll be updating those functions at a later date.

If you have access to GM 8.1 or GMS and want to take a look at the project file, shoot me a PM with your version of GameMaker and I'll send you the link.

===============================

Anywho,
I officially started working on Chapter 2.

I created a rough draft of the world map as well as some other smaller maps seen in chapter 2. The scripts for the first 2 cutscenes have also been written, though they still need a bit of a polish.

World Map:
Chaoswizard98

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby stefanos2k10 » Fri May 11 2018 12:55pm

Chaoswizard98 wrote:Alright, I have 2 announcements today.

First off, I have a beta build available of the engine for anyone who has GameMaker 8.1 or GameMaker Studio. From what I hear, GameMaker Studio 2 comes with GameMaker Studio 1, so theoretically GMS2 users should be able to use it as well, but as I don't have it myself, I can't confirm that.

Some things to note before downloading the engine:
1. This is a beta build. Expect bugs, especially in the GMS version as I mainly use 8.1.
2. I don't have a tutorial or anything yet. This build is mainly for those with experience using GM so that I can get feedback on how to better optimize the codebase, and find bugs.
3. Both the 8.1 and GMS versions contain Chapter 1 of my game so you can reverse engineer it and see how it's done.
4. The GMS version has a small issue with Background Music that I haven't bothered fixing yet. 8.1 automatically stops the current BGM from playing if you start playing another. GMS requires you to manually shut off the current BGM before playing the next. Otherwise it starts playing both at the same time. I've yet to go through Chapter 1 and fix all the sound issues, but just be aware that they exist.
5. Map transitions need to be completely re-done for the GMS version as they removed the built in functions. The game still works as you'd expect, but the overworld transitions are instant rather than the SF2 style pan to the next room. I'll be updating those functions at a later date.

If you have access to GM 8.1 or GMS and want to take a look at the project file, shoot me a PM with your version of GameMaker and I'll send you the link.

===============================

Anywho,
I officially started working on Chapter 2.

I created a rough draft of the world map as well as some other smaller maps seen in chapter 2. The scripts for the first 2 cutscenes have also been written, though they still need a bit of a polish.

World Map:

SUPER HYPED
stefanos2k10

Postby Morath » Fri May 11 2018 5:38pm

Chaoswizard98 wrote:New update for LoS: (Beta 1.0)

I just tried this out quickly and got through the first fight without problems. I had a bug screen popup when Kira and Max get into a dust-up on the docks. I tried to continue by clicking ignore but the game was frozen (I didn't read the error message - sorry).

Here are my impressions (from about 5 minutes of play): it's obvious that care was put into making this game have that shining force feel during battle (from details as small as how the screen is positioned when switching between units on the battlefield and the unit selection sound effects, etc.), nevertheless I do appreciate that you're taking advantage of the fact that on modern (more powerful) computers you can have bigger maps and more quickly scroll between units and stuff like this. It gets me wondering whether there could be massive battles with like 30 vs 120 down the line hehe.

Looking great!
Morath

Postby Chaoswizard98 » Fri May 11 2018 6:12pm

If you could try getting to that point again and seeing if the bug still happens that would be super helpful. And either screenshot it or copy paste the error lol.

You can save the game by talking to the old guy in town before the cutscene just in case. Either way, I'll test it when I get home as I'm at work right now.

To answer your question about giant battles.
Yes. You can create giant battles. I'm not sure what exactly the limitations of that are, but so far the most units on a map at once has been 72. I'll see if I can spam a map with units just to see what happens lol.

Thanks for the support!

Edit:
The issue has been fixed!
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lTfG94 ... sp=sharing
Chaoswizard98

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Morath » Sat May 12 2018 4:39pm

Ok, I was able to replicate the error:

for object CutsceneControler:

In script GlobalCutsceneCalls:
In script Cutscene06:
Error in code at line 233:
with(CharacterAnimationControler){
^
at position 15: Unknown variable CharacterAnimationControler

hope that helps.
Morath

Postby Chaoswizard98 » Sat May 12 2018 4:43pm

Lol, what timing. You posted right as I updated the download link with the fixed version.

I removed all of my obsolete objects last update but missed one of the calls. The issue should now be fixed!

Download:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lTfG94 ... sp=sharing
Chaoswizard98

Shining Member
Shining Member

PreviousNext

Return to Shining Fanwork