Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Fanwork
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

The Legend of Syro (Fan Game)

Chapter 1 now available! (11/24/17)

Share, discuss or get ideas for your Shining Fanwork here! Anything from fanfic and fanart to homebrew Shining games and midi composition!

Re: The Legend of Syro (Fan Game)

Postby Tyadran » Tue May 12 2015 1:38am

*gasp* HP/MP bars? We're living the high life now! :excited:
Also, will class name be displayed in that box as well, as usual? Or is that just too funky to make work?
Tyadran - Modding Sega Genesis games since 2013.
Check me out on YouTube.
Check me out on YouTube.
Tyadran

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Chaoswizard98 » Tue May 12 2015 1:52am

Tyadran wrote:*gasp* HP/MP bars? We're living the high life now! :excited:
Also, will class name be displayed in that box as well, as usual? Or is that just too funky to make work?

Oh THAT'S why my battle HUD looked funky. I knew something was wrong with it but I couldn't pinpoint it. With the amount of Shining force I play, I can't believe I missed that lol.

*Fixed it already*

Thanks for pointing that out :thumbsup:
Creator of the GameMaker Shining Engine and "The Legend of Syro" Fan Game. (WIP)
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=26022
Creator of the GameMaker Shining Engine and "The Legend of Syro" Fan Game. (WIP)
Chaoswizard98

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Tyadran » Tue May 12 2015 1:55am

Oh, no problem. Glad I noticed. In that case, SF1 displays a 'L' just before the level number (like L1, L2, etc.). I can't remember if/how the others do it off the top of my head, since I'm a SF1 guy, but I thought I'd bring it up just in case.
Check me out on YouTube.
Check me out on YouTube.
Tyadran

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Nyttelost » Tue May 12 2015 2:05am

Tyadran wrote:Oh, no problem. Glad I noticed. In that case, SF1 displays a 'L' just before the level number (like L1, L2, etc.). I can't remember if/how the others do it off the top of my head, since I'm a SF1 guy, but I thought I'd bring it up just in case.

Just loaded up a SF2 save I'm working on. It's like the class then level, like SDMN7. Adding the "L" and/or a space after the class might make it easier to read.
Current Youtube Activities:
Vandal Hearts, Others Pending

"Strategy. Is. Always." - Shane (Did You Know Gaming), Asagao Academy 2016
"He who rides a tiger cannot dismount." - James H. Howard
Current Youtube Activities:
Vandal Hearts, Others Pending

"Strategy. Is. Always." - Shane (Did You Know Gaming), Asagao Academy 2016
"He who rides a tiger cannot dismount." - James H. Howard
Nyttelost

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Chaoswizard98 » Tue May 12 2015 2:07am

Tyadran wrote:Oh, no problem. Glad I noticed. In that case, SF1 displays a 'L' just before the level number (like L1, L2, etc.). I can't remember if/how the others do it off the top of my head, since I'm a SF1 guy, but I thought I'd bring it up just in case.

Double checked SF2 just in case. It doesn't have the L. If for whatever reason you wanted to add the L or change the HUD in any way, my "DrawBattleHud()" script is pretty straightforward and commented :thumbsup:

Edit: Nyttelost, You beat me to it lol.
Chaoswizard98

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Tyadran » Tue May 12 2015 2:10am

Chaoswizard98 wrote:Double checked SF2 just in case. It doesn't have the L. If for whatever reason you wanted to add the L or change the HUD in any way, my "DrawBattleHud()" script is pretty straightforward and commented :thumbsup:

Awesome, perfectly fine with me. There were a handful of things I didn't like about SF2, and that formatting was one of them. :blush:
Check me out on YouTube.
Check me out on YouTube.
Tyadran

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Chaoswizard98 » Wed May 13 2015 12:52am

Tyadran wrote:*gasp* HP/MP bars? We're living the high life now! :excited:

Living the High(er) life now!
WARNING: SPOILER!

The HUD window still doesn't expand by itself yet. That's next.
Chaoswizard98

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Tyadran » Wed May 13 2015 1:03am

We are nearing the highest of lives. :excited:
Even without auto-expanding, this is looking fantastic.
Check me out on YouTube.
Check me out on YouTube.
Tyadran

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Chaoswizard98 » Fri May 15 2015 2:34am

Okay this took way longer than expected (simple coding mistakes always take hours to find :damnit: ) but I finally got it done.

I added the black HP bar cap which will not go down unless under 300 HP (where it switches to blue). You can also add more bars if you wanted to though I think SF2's 5 bar cap is enough.

I got sliding menu's working, and the battle HUD will expand based on character name, HP bar, or MP bar, whichever is longest.

And I got the turn order system working. Turn order works the same way SF2 works. Each character has their agility multiplied by a random value between +-50% and the list is sorted. Double turns are not fully implemented yet, but I did account for it.

The major change between my code and SF2 in regards to double turns, is that rather than make an enemies agility 100 or higher, I just use a "DoubleTurn = true/false" variable. This way you can allow for players to have double turns as well if you wanted to. (There's a commented out part of code that enables players to have double turns if they have 100+ agility)
Chaoswizard98

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Tyadran » Fri May 15 2015 4:09am

Chaoswizard98 wrote:I added the black HP bar cap which will not go down unless under 300 HP (where it switches to blue). You can also add more bars if you wanted to though I think SF2's 5 bar cap is enough.

I got sliding menu's working, and the battle HUD will expand based on character name, HP bar, or MP bar, whichever is longest.

The major change between my code and SF2 in regards to double turns, is that rather than make an enemies agility 100 or higher, I just use a "DoubleTurn = true/false" variable. This way you can allow for players to have double turns as well if you wanted to. (There's a commented out part of code that enables players to have double turns if they have 100+ agility)

Woohoo, all sounds like good stuff! 5 bars does sound like plenty, but who knows for, say, secret bosses or something. :shifty:

Sliding menus and battle HUD are fantastic aesthetic developments. I approve. :thumbsup:

I also like that way of doing double turns. Are the double turns planned to be one after another or...? Like, what is the timing on those? A few turns later? A set AGI later? :confused:
Check me out on YouTube.
Check me out on YouTube.
Tyadran

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Chaoswizard98 » Fri May 15 2015 9:07pm

Tyadran wrote:Are the double turns planned to be one after another or...? Like, what is the timing on those? A few turns later? A set AGI later? :confused:

Working on double turns now. Basically it will generate another (agility * +-50%) for characters with double turns enabled and add them to the list a second time with their new turn value.
Chaoswizard98

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Tyadran » Mon May 18 2015 2:25am

Gotcha, that makes sense. I've never really understood how they work in the Shining games, so was curious how you planned to do it.
Check me out on YouTube.
Check me out on YouTube.
Tyadran

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Chaoswizard98 » Mon May 18 2015 9:00pm

Okay, well... I got some good news, some better news, some not so good news, and some slightly better news.

The good news: I got double turns working.

The Better news: It supports the ability to add up to infinite turns (with slight copy/paste/modify coding).

The not so good news: I booted up GameMaker today to see this message in the news window...

In short, GameMaker 8.1 (The version I am using to code this project) is, without warning, no longer able to be purchased.

Now, here's some slightly better news.
GameMaker Studio is now free, :) however it gives your game a watermark when running the game and it only allows you to export the game as a .GMZ (Basically you need to have gamemaker on your computer to run the game.)

I downloaded GM:S and imported my current project. So far, everything works except for some strange issue with the turn order I just got working :damnit: and the font for some reason, decided to blur (which I'm pretty sure I know why it blurred and it should be fixable).

Running the game with GM:S seemed to be slightly jumpy and objects seem to animate faster than GM8.1. I haven't looked into possible causes for this but I will look into it eventually.

I will continue to code my project for GM8.1 (Since I don't plan on paying more money to remove a watermark) and clean it up for GM:S after I finish it. :thumbsup:

Edit:
Just added a few simple things.
+The character who's turn it is will be drawn on top of all other characters.
+Menus now slide out rather than disappear when a character walks back to their start location.
+Menus slide slightly faster now and should be up to speed with SF.
-Fixed a bunch of errors caused by hitting your keyboard with a hammer. (Button Spam)
Chaoswizard98

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Tyadran » Tue May 19 2015 4:26pm

Infinite turns sounds amazing. I now want a ninja boss who moves 5 times in a round. :thumbsup:

The loss of GM8.1 is unfortunate. How expensive is GM:S? I just wonder whether it is worth it to continue coding on GM8.1 if there is any risk of things breaking severely when being ported over. I don't know how much coding changes between versions - I'm a RPG Maker guy, and the coding is totally redone in every incarnation.

All the minor additions sound great. I want to see some of this stuff in action sometime - any chance of a small update video of some sort to show off sliding menus and where things stand at the moment?
Check me out on YouTube.
Check me out on YouTube.
Tyadran

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Chaoswizard98 » Tue May 19 2015 7:17pm

Tyadran wrote:Infinite turns sounds amazing. I now want a ninja boss who moves 5 times in a round. :thumbsup:

Heh ninja boss. Imagine Zeon having 5 turns... It would be interesting to see a character with very low attack power but having lots of turns.

Tyadran wrote:The loss of GM8.1 is unfortunate. How expensive is GM:S? I just wonder whether it is worth it to continue coding on GM8.1 if there is any risk of things breaking severely when being ported over. I don't know how much coding changes between versions - I'm a RPG Maker guy, and the coding is totally redone in every incarnation.

GM:S is currently free, however when your game starts up (before the title screen) you see a "Made with GameMaker Studio" message (not really a big deal). The downside to the free version is that you can only export your game as a .gmz file, meaning you need the GameMaker Player installed to be able to play the game. (Which is free anyways, it's just a pain for users to have to download an external program)

To remove the watermark intro screen and to be able to export the game as a standalone .exe file, it is currently around $150. (Again, not really needed in the grand scheme of things, it's just nice.) I will probably be purchasing GM:S at some point anyways, so if my life after I graduate college isn't super busy, I'd be willing to export anyone's completed project for them to remove the watermark and to make sharing easier. (Exporting takes around 30 seconds anyways...)

I imported my current work file to GM:S and 99% of it worked fine. So probably with minor tweaks, I should be able to get it ported. I will continue coding with GM8.1 since it's a simple transition to GM:S anyways.

Tyadran wrote:All the minor additions sound great. I want to see some of this stuff in action sometime - any chance of a small update video of some sort to show off sliding menus and where things stand at the moment?

Sure, this week is finals week so I'll see when I can get it done. (That and people love interrupting me when I record stuff lol)
Chaoswizard98

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Tyadran » Tue May 19 2015 9:32pm

Well, looks like you've got everything sorted then. Good to hear that the conversion process isn't a huge hurdle.
Check me out on YouTube.
Check me out on YouTube.
Tyadran

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Chaoswizard98 » Wed May 27 2015 8:10pm

Ok well, finals week, and a weekend full of playing with newborn kittens is finally over with.

New additions:
+You can now move the cursor around the map.
+Cursor movement supports 8 directional keyboard movement (diagonals).
+You can now see a character's stats page during battle.
-Slight tweak to the speed of menu slides.
-You can no longer move the cursor or your characters off screen (out of the room).
-Redid the way items are handled. They should be easier to modify now.
-Fixed slight issue with the HP/MP bar draw function.
-Optimized around 50-75% of existing scripts.
Chaoswizard98

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Tyadran » Thu May 28 2015 4:43am

I envy your kittens. But applaud the rest.
Check me out on YouTube.
Check me out on YouTube.
Tyadran

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Chaoswizard98 » Fri Jun 12 2015 2:23am

Ok so, long time no update. Our Minecraft server gets busy during the summer months so I have been occupying my players and such these last few weeks and haven't had much time to work on this project.

Nonetheless, I finished up the sliding function for the battle menu and re-implemented the "Stay" function. I also made HP/MP bars fancier.

Next up, cursor menu and the dreaded re-work of battle cutscenes...

Oh and here's that update video you wanted lol.

Edit: Almost done Re-working the attack range function. It will be much more powerful, allow for the selecting of both enemies and allies with a single spell / attack, and the "Archer Removal Range" is no longer limited to 1.

I also plan on giving weapons an "area effect" variable. You know... in case your character owned a cannon or something...

Chaoswizard98

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Tyadran » Mon Jun 15 2015 7:41pm

Everything looks so good. :D
Area of Effect is cool to have, I like adding arrows that have AoE like a scattered shot.
Check me out on YouTube.
Check me out on YouTube.
Tyadran

Shining Member
Shining Member

PreviousNext

Return to Shining Fanwork