Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Fanwork
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

The Legend of Syro (Fan Game)

Chapter 1 now available! (11/24/17)

Share, discuss or get ideas for your Shining Fanwork here! Anything from fanfic and fanart to homebrew Shining games and midi composition!

Re: The Legend of Syro (Fan Game)

Postby Chaoswizard98 » Tue Oct 21 2014 4:09am

Next update should have magic, a finished battle cut-scene system, minor improvements (basically anything else I feel like adding), and possibly the ability to level up if I feel like working on it. This leaves items, and the ability to check the stats of characters during a battle. Since Items are basically a copy paste of magic, and I already have most of the stat pages working (these were implemented a long time ago just removed temporarily to add the turn system) the battle portion of the game should be basically done after this update.
Creator of the GameMaker Shining Engine and "The Legend of Syro" Fan Game. (WIP)
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=26022
Creator of the GameMaker Shining Engine and "The Legend of Syro" Fan Game. (WIP)
Chaoswizard98

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Caedmonball19 » Tue Oct 21 2014 2:59pm

Sounds like you are making great progress. Well done. I'm looking forward to the next video update.
Caedmonball19

The Black Sheep
Shining Hero

Postby Chaoswizard98 » Tue Oct 21 2014 5:12pm

I'll definitely be releasing a video with every playable update. Generally I like to get something major working before I release the next version (in this case magic). Things such as level design, dialogue, sprite sheets ect, I also work on however they usually aren't apparent unless I specifically talk about those things.

Most of the things that I don't have implemented yet are actually planned out in some way. For example, I have a pretty good idea on how I'll implement the expanding HP / MP bar, it just isn't a priority right now, so I'll add that when I feel like working on it. These things generally fall under the (minor improvements) section of my previous post.

Aiming to have the engine mostly working by summer. Depends on schoolwork ect.

Edit: Ranged attacks now play properly (they have the SF2 style transition). It can also tell the difference between a centaur spear throw vs stab.

Edit (11/5/14): Adding battle animations is no longer a painful if / else mess. You can now add the 3 battle sprites (Idle, attack, and block) with 0 coding knowledge.
Chaoswizard98

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Broked » Thu Nov 06 2014 5:27am

This looks awesome! You've done a great job emulating the look-and-feel of the original game. I'm excited to see your progress.

I am curious how you are liking Gamemaker? Do you feel that there are adequate tools to facilitate making a "full" game as far things like plot progression, cut-scenes and map "triggers"?

Also, you've mentioned trying to make creating similar games with your engine user-friendly; to what extent do you intend the engine to be modifiable?
Broked

Postby Chaoswizard98 » Thu Nov 06 2014 4:09pm

Broked wrote:I am curious how you are liking Gamemaker? Do you feel that there are adequate tools to facilitate making a "full" game as far things like plot progression, cut-scenes and map "triggers"?

Definitely. It's super easy to use and there are very few limitations. So far the only limitation that I have run into is Gamemaker's sound engine. You can modify the volume of .wav sounds very easily however mp3's you have 0 functionality for aside from playing them. I could render music as .wav (allowing me to fade music, adjust volume ect) however wav files are much bigger and suck up more memory. If volume is an issue, you can manually adjust the volume in an external sound editor.

Broked wrote:Also, you've mentioned trying to make creating similar games with your engine user-friendly; to what extent do you intend the engine to be modifiable?

I'm trying to make it as simple and readable as I can so that people with little to no coding experience can create a Shining game with ease. There shouldn't be anything preventing you from modifying the engine to suit your needs as long as you have coding experience. I will be commenting my code to make it as readable as possible.

Gamemaker doesn't have too many limitations and it is very easy to learn. If for whatever reason you ran into a limitation, there is a way to program a dll file for it and tell GM how to deal with the issue in the way that you want it to. I haven't looked much into dll's but I know it's possible.

And as a note, I'm using Gamemaker 8.1 Standard. It most likely wont work with the new expensive studio version without recoding a few things due to the change in function names ect.
Chaoswizard98

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Broked » Thu Nov 06 2014 7:39pm

I'm glad to hear that your focusing on "user-friendliness" from the start, I think it will save you a ton of headaches in the future. One of the biggest problems I've had with the community project is making tooling for game content that doesn't require coding and is intuitive to use. It sounds like I should take a look at Gamemaker for pointers in that regard.

It sounds like you and I will probably run into the same types of challenges over the course of development so feel free to PM me if you're looking for a sounding board.
Broked

Postby Chaoswizard98 » Fri Nov 07 2014 2:11am

Broked wrote:I'm glad to hear that your focusing on "user-friendliness" from the start, I think it will save you a ton of headaches in the future.

Yeah, it has saved me a ton of headaches. My biggest problem is when I finish working on 1 function for a while, then come back to it and have no clue how it works lol.

For things that I know myself and other people will use a lot, (Such as adding new Characters / Enemies, Spells, Terrain, ect) I spend more time figuring out how to make it as simple as possible than other things most people won't modify.

For things that the average person wont modify (AI options, battle cut-scene code, movement code, most things every shining game has in common) I still simplify them but if you want to modify them you'll have to know some programming. Either way I leave my comments in place for people to know what they are looking at if they wanted to add / improve / change anything.

Broked wrote:It sounds like you and I will probably run into the same types of challenges over the course of development so feel free to PM me if you're looking for a sounding board.

Will do but... what's a sounding board? I'm unfamiliar with the term.
Chaoswizard98

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Corsair » Fri Nov 07 2014 5:51am

Someone to reflect ideas back and forth with.
Corsair

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Chaoswizard98 » Fri Nov 07 2014 5:13pm

Corsair wrote:Someone to reflect ideas back and forth with.

Ok that makes sense. Thanks for the clarification.

I may release an update video soon. Normally I'd do this only with a playable release but seeing as I've done a ton of stuff since then, I figured I might as well make another video.

Edit: Video postponed until I fix this AI bug.

Edit: Fixed the AI bug (I think), I also fixed a minor visual bug with the new AI (resetting the cursor glow frame state when changing phases of the AI). Should have a video out soon!

Edit: The video update might be a while, 2 essays and a final paper to write as well as a bunch of other stuff. The magic menu system is working at nearly 100%. The only thing left to add is the spell effect radius. I haven't stated on the magic battle cutscene code yet. Since there is so much more that goes into spells (every spell having a different animation, and attack radius, ect) I'm still working on finding the simplest solution.
Chaoswizard98

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Caedmonball19 » Wed Nov 19 2014 3:47pm

Inserting a reply so you don't have to keep editing your last post :)
Caedmonball19

The Black Sheep
Shining Hero

Postby Chaoswizard98 » Fri Nov 21 2014 9:19pm

Caedmonball19 wrote:Inserting a reply so you don't have to keep editing your last post :)

Thanks lol

Magic only needs animating and adding to the battle code. But since that is a pain, I decided to take a break from magic and work on the beginning of the game a bit.

I finished writing the beginning of the game and most of its dialogue. I layed out the basic shape of the starting town but its far from done. Since I only wanted the basic layout of the town I didn't care about decorating, sprite details, ect. Later on it will look like 4 nukes, 3 armies, and Godzilla blew through the town.

Chaoswizard98

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby DiegoMM » Sat Nov 22 2014 1:58am

Wow, very nice man. You have all the tileset ripped already? Are you gonna use sf1, sf2 or sfcd tilesets? or all of them?
Interesting articles about true things shining: http://www.everystudent.com/
Interesting articles about true things shining: http://www.everystudent.com/
DiegoMM

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Chaoswizard98 » Sat Nov 22 2014 3:56pm

DiegoMM wrote:Wow, very nice man. You have all the tileset ripped already? Are you gonna use sf1, sf2 or sfcd tilesets? or all of them?

The tileset is not totally finished yet since I have to create a bunch of custom tiles for it. If you want the original SF tiles right now, VGMaps.com has all the maps from both games ripped so you could rip those apart into the tiles you need (which is basically what I'm doing).

I will be using a mix of all of them for the game as well as re-skinned, re-textured, some totally custom, tiles. It depends on the map / area.

Magic Stuff:
WARNING: SPOILER!

Edit: Town stuff is officially under way! Force members can follow you (Peter / Astral following Bowie). I have a very lite save / load system working to keep track of Force member stats for the force list menu. The final save file will be able to be opened via notepad for those who want to do things like enable all force members at the start of the game ect. The Menu's themselves are just time consuming as they are nothing more than counting pixels and lining stuff up properly. (1/20/15).

Edit: Force Stage 1 is working! Images in the spoilers below. (1/21/15)

You can scroll through the list of force members (currently 6). Last thing to add to the Force list is the ability to click on a character to see their full stat sheet.

Edit: Force list is now 100% working. (1/28/15)

Edit: Well, I'm finally working on the legit beginning of the game rather than a borrowed map from SF. You can now travel between maps (such as walking down stairs). I also have a solution to make exploring the world map work the same way as SF2 and it transitions nicely (Walking to the edge of a map shifts the screen to the new map). It works, but will not be present in alpha (since it wont be used in the beginning of the game).

Cut-scenes are still a pain so I'm working on making them a little easier to make. Character portraits animate while chat is played now. Characters now have an "In_Force" tag, meaning you can officially recruit members to the force. (Or kick them out if you really wanted to...)
50% of the first cut-scene is done.

Edit: Cutscenes are now nice and easy to make if you know basic coding. Likely I will add something for non coders in the future, but for now it serves it's purpose. I also have items and shops somewhat planned out so when I get around to it, that should be added. Currently everything (aside from AI expanding, and Wandering villagers is planned out or implemented in some way). 2/11/15

Edit: Item Inventory is working now. Items will display properly on the character's stats page. The item will also show if it is equipped or not. There isn't a way to actually equip or use items yet. That will be next. (3/12/15)
Chaoswizard98

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Tyadran » Thu Mar 19 2015 3:03am

Just wanted to express my support for this engine (hopefully we'll get our own hands on it some day :D) and allow you to stop editing your last post. :thumbsup:
Tyadran - Modding Sega Genesis games since 2013.
Check me out on YouTube.
Check me out on YouTube.
Tyadran

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Stordarth » Sat Mar 21 2015 5:19pm

... How did Anri get my banhammer?! :angry:
Stordarth

The L-Block Anomaly
Administrator

Postby Chaoswizard98 » Sun Mar 22 2015 3:34pm

Tyadran wrote:Just wanted to express my support for this engine (hopefully we'll get our own hands on it some day :D) and allow you to stop editing your last post. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the support! As a wild estimate, I'm hoping to have the engine complete sometime this year. This of course depends on schoolwork (AI class is a pain!) and other things. I'm hoping to have a playable Alpha demo out early summer. The alpha demo will include everything up to the beginning of battle 3.

I do plan on releasing the engine once It's finished. That being said, after I finish the engine itself, I'll likely do a massive code re-write to get everything cleaned up as well as store all the Internal Game Options in 1 place so you can easily configure your game without having to go through all my code trying to find out how to change things.

No matter how busy I am, I always try to find time to work on this project. Hurray for progress!

As far as battle mechanics go, all that's left to add is Items, being able to check stats with the cursor, and expanding enemy AI. Oh and leveling up, that's pretty important too yet I always manage to forget about it >.<

Town stuff still has a ways to go, but that stuff is way easier to add than the battle code stuff. 99% of it is annoying menu stuff. Easy to code, but very boring lol. Status menu functions are all done. Item menu functions are 50% done. Use and Drop work, however since I don't have any items with effects yet, you'll only get a "But nothing happens" message when using an item.

Force members can legitimately "Join" the team via talking to them, cut-scenes, scripts ect. They will also follow you around town the same way as Peter following Bowie. Cut-scenes, yes no menus, and room changing are also done. I also added a "Game Speed" option that is used to display message text faster.

Stordarth wrote:... How did Anri get my banhammer?! :angry:

She got it at the Black Market in the desert city Menoufis when we were searching for the translation tablet in order to decode some ancient texts. The guy sold her this cheat code. :)

Anyways, here's some screenshots of things not seen during my latest update video. Including a teaser for battle 2. (Force and Enemies are placeholders until I finish the legit sprites)

Thanks again for the support guys!

Edit: It will likely be a while before my next major update. Currently I'm doing a massive code re-write to simplify a ton of things and to clean up some code I haven't touched in a year. This will make the future implementations, and modding in general a lot easier. (4/14/15)

Edit: I'm still busy with final projects but the re-code continues! (4/27/15)
+ Added force start location objects. This means the battle party is no longer hardcoded. Place 12 of these on the map and they will automatically fill with your battle party or destroy themselves if you don't have enough characters to fill them.

- Removed Pathfinding bug due to missing a line of code I redid ages ago.
- Players will no longer walk through enemies or blocked tiles to get back to their start location.
- Recoded movement and attack range calculations to be more global.
- Recoded the player object. If performance was an issue, this would have helped.

- Tested on Windows 98, Windows XP, Windows 7, and Windows 8. It runs fine on all of them. :)
Chaoswizard98

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby GreenOnion » Tue Apr 28 2015 4:24pm

Hey! just wanted to say i am a huge fan of shining force, and im vary exited about your project.
i have always wanted to redesign a rpg game not to mention shining force but the scripting always put me off :P
so im super happy to hear about hat you're doing :excited: keep up the awsome work!!!
GreenOnion

Postby Chaoswizard98 » Mon May 11 2015 11:49pm

GreenOnion wrote:Hey! just wanted to say i am a huge fan of shining force, and im vary exited about your project.
i have always wanted to redesign a rpg game not to mention shining force but the scripting always put me off :P
so im super happy to hear about hat you're doing :excited: keep up the awsome work!!!

Oh hey, sorry for the late reply. Schoolwork has been super busy lately. Fortunately next week is finals then summer break!

I finally have more time to work on this project again and so far the re-code is coming along nicely. Most of my code cleanup won't be noticeable, since functionality basically stays the same. I did add a few things since last time though.

Basically I built in some placeholder "event" points to the code, which will be used when I eventually add things like moving the cursor around the map, making the battle HUD and menu's slide when you trigger them, and other functions I haven't added yet.

I also split the function of backing out of the battle choice menu (attack, stay, magic, items) into 2 parts. It used to walk your character back to their start space, then allow you to move again. Now it will allow you to move again upon first "back button" press, and on a second press it will walk your character back to their start location.

Thanks for the support!
Chaoswizard98

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Tyadran » Tue May 12 2015 12:21am

Good to hear this is still a thing that's happening. Also good to hear that you'll have finals soon and maybe we'll see more activity with this. :)

The choice back out split sounds great, improves functionality a bit. Maybe not an absolutely necessary change, but all the better to make it much smoother. Plus I'm a huge fan of little details like that.
Check me out on YouTube.
Check me out on YouTube.
Tyadran

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Chaoswizard98 » Tue May 12 2015 1:34am

Tyadran wrote:Good to hear this is still a thing that's happening. Also good to hear that you'll have finals soon and maybe we'll see more activity with this. :)

The choice back out split sounds great, improves functionality a bit. Maybe not an absolutely necessary change, but all the better to make it much smoother. Plus I'm a huge fan of little details like that.

I can confirm "we'll see more activity with this"
I bring you my latest creation, Health and Mana Bars :)

The HUD frame is not adjustable yet, so gaining HP / MP wont expand the frame any. That's still to come.
Next up, scrolling menus. :thumbsup:
Chaoswizard98

Shining Member
Shining Member

PreviousNext

Return to Shining Fanwork