Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Fanwork
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

The Legend of Syro (Fan Game)

Chapter 1 now available! (11/24/17)

Share, discuss or get ideas for your Shining Fanwork here! Anything from fanfic and fanart to homebrew Shining games and midi composition!

Re: The Legend of Syro (Fan Game)

Postby DiegoMM » Mon Oct 13 2014 5:31pm

Guys in wolfgangs guides and moggie guides (links in Shining Force Central area for the games) you can find animated gifs from magic and others sprites of the shining series. You can split the gifs in images using this site:
http://picasion.com/split-animated-gif/

Is it not the same as ripping them from the game?
Interesting articles about true things shining: http://www.everystudent.com/
DiegoMM

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Chaoswizard98 » Mon Oct 13 2014 8:00pm

Tor_Heyerdal wrote:Can you not isolate the spell animations onto a black background by turning off all the other layers in the emulator? If the background is pure black, then the alpha values shouldn't really matter (which is what I've been doing).

I tried that but the colors are off and blended into the background. I guess I should have used the term, Anti-Aliasing. I'll try disabling it to see if that helps, if not, more puzzles >.<

DiegoMM wrote:Guys in wolfgangs guides and moggie guides (links in Shining Force Central area for the games) you can find animated gifs from magic and others sprites of the shining series. You can split the gifs in images using this site:

I've seen the SF1 magic sprites, but nothing from SF2. I could just be looking in the wrong place though.
Creator of the GameMaker Shining Engine and "The Legend of Syro" Fan Game. (WIP)
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=26022
Creator of the GameMaker Shining Engine and "The Legend of Syro" Fan Game. (WIP)
Chaoswizard98

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby DiegoMM » Mon Oct 13 2014 10:22pm

http://rpg-home.lunar-net.com/sfii-web/index.html

check this, in the spell casting characters page.
DiegoMM

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Tor_Heyerdal » Mon Oct 13 2014 11:34pm

Guys in wolfgangs guides and moggie guides (links in Shining Force Central area for the games) you can find animated gifs from magic and others sprites of the shining series. You can split the gifs in images using this site:

http://rpg-home.lunar-net.com/sfii-web/index.html

check this, in the spell casting characters page.

-DiegoMM

Absolutely not (as much as I appreciate the thought). All such .gifs that you'll find floating about the interwebs are imperfect. They're missing frames (just look at Kazin's Blaze cast in that site you linked, those fireballs should have many more frames before reaching the ground, and note that the Desoul animation on the same page only shows the animation for an unsuccessful Desoul. Also note that those are the only two spell animations on the page), or they have too much black around the edges, or not enough, or the colours get messed up in the upload, or various things will be in the wrong spot (just look at Kazin nudging over in his Blaze cast in that site you linked; how could I feel confident that anything else in said animation will be in the right place?), or whatever else. Furthermore, I'm pretty sure that there's no complete collection of every animation for every rank of every spell in every pre-III SF title. At best, these .gifs can be used as a loose guideline in most instances.

I tried that but the colors are off and blended into the background. I guess I should have used the term, Anti-Aliasing. I'll try disabling it to see if that helps, if not, more puzzles >.<

Strange, I've never had that problem. As I'm sure you've seen, they look fine in my project, and that's how I've been doing it. Although it's critical that one uses no visual filters at all, and that a proper 4:3 aspect ratio is maintained, and that the video render isn't stretched. Otherwise, the colours will be off, and they'll blend into the background. lol. =P If you already are doing it that way, then I dunno' what's what with that.

EDIT: Hey, I just realized that I've broken 200 posts now. Nifty. =P
Creator of Shining Force III: 16-bit (WIP).
Tjelladallak våriiikeõdõtsyk jeissõ'eilamnikinõhõn. Ii'tuntoimjähädälläjät, niin miietsy iimpa'tyõhõnja.
Tjelladallak våriiikeõdõtsyk jeissõ'eilamnikinõhõn. Ii'tuntoimjähädälläjät, niin miietsy iimpa'tyõhõnja.
Tor_Heyerdal

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Chaoswizard98 » Tue Oct 14 2014 12:58am

Found the issue, apparently the print screen button doesn't capture the frames perfectly. Gens built in screenshot feature does though. I think I have all the sprites ripped (or most). All that is left for the spells is freeze I think. Unfortunately my Chaz is only level 20... Power grinding time!

Although, you mentioned desoul having a unique animation for a successful desoul? I never noticed that. Ill track that down too I guess. Any mobs in particular more vulnerable to it?
Chaoswizard98

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Tor_Heyerdal » Tue Oct 14 2014 1:44am

Found the issue, apparently the print screen button doesn't capture the frames perfectly. Gens built in screenshot feature does though. I think I have all the sprites ripped (or most). All that is left for the spells is freeze I think. Unfortunately my Chaz is only level 20... Power grinding time!

-Chaoswizard98

Weird. My print screen button captures the frames just fine. Maybe your video card just doesn't like the way Gens renders its video, and something wonky is happening? ::shrug:: At least you've found a method that works.

Although, you mentioned desoul having a unique animation for a successful desoul? I never noticed that. Ill track that down too I guess. Any mobs in particular more vulnerable to it?

-Chaoswizard98

Yeah, when a Desoul is successful, the reaper will actually strike down at the target beneath him with his scythe. And while I have no conclusive evidence of the following, it's always seemed to me like humanoid mobs are more vulnerable to it (I even Desouled the Red Baron once. He was at full HP, and I was down to my last few party members. I was a kid at the time, so this was a long-ass time ago. There's no way I'd ever be down to my last few party members in SF2 these days (except for maybe at the Chess fight). lol. I've never really tried to do it again though, because I just can't bring myself to let all that exp go to waste =P). I've also observed that animated enemies (skeletons, zombies, robots, etc.) seem to be immune to it. If someone out there can confirm or disconfirm this, that'd be cool.
Tor_Heyerdal

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Chaoswizard98 » Tue Oct 14 2014 3:28pm

I should have all the magic sprites ripped either today or tomorrow. Depends on schoolwork.
Chaoswizard98

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Tor_Heyerdal » Tue Oct 14 2014 7:45pm

I should have all the magic sprites ripped either today or tomorrow. Depends on schoolwork.

Seriously? That's like, hundreds (if not thousands) of frames. You're gonna' rip all of that in a day? Are you like, *actually* Sir Astral in real life or something? xD
Tor_Heyerdal

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Chaoswizard98 » Tue Oct 14 2014 11:39pm

Tor_Heyerdal wrote:Seriously? That's like, hundreds (if not thousands) of frames. You're gonna' rip all of that in a day? Are you like, *actually* Sir Astral in real life or something? xD

Yes to all of the above.

You are mistaking frames and sprites though. Combining every level of the blaze spell there are 18 sprites. Each spell only uses a portion of these. Blaze 1 uses 2 sprites, blaze 2 and 3 use 6., and blaze 4 uses 10.
A sprite is each unique piece of the spell. So with blaze, 2 for the fire, 2 for the fireballs, 2 for the fireball impact, and 4 for the dragon.

A frame is if you take a screenshot of the spell. If you took a bunch of screenshots from start to finish of a cast, you would technically have a working animation, however spells aren't that simple. They always have the same start and end frames but the middle frames are different. With blaze, the fireballs rain randomly. If you cast the spell several times you will notice its randomness. Setting up a looping animation via frames would be very difficult since animation length is never constant. It is always changed by the amount of enemies in the spell's range, game speed, and if you are holding the speed up (select) button or not.

This isn't just blaze, it is all the offensive spells.

In order to set up the spells for battle animation, you'll have to play the stationary part first (This is the fire, the electric balls, and the tornado) and keep that looped. Then you would create a ready made animation with the other bits. (So a single fireball falling down and exploding). Then as the spell played, you would draw the single fireball animations at random X values within your battle scene. You can also set limits on how many can be on the screen at once to prevent overkill. When the battle scene comes to an end, you would simply not create any more fireballs. And after X seconds (the time it takes for fireballs to complete their animation) you would stop displaying the background fire and continue with the battle scene.

Edit: All the sprites are ripped, All that's left to do now is to fix some of the sprites. Changing the black background removes bits of the sprites. After I fix that I'll upload it. (So probably tomorrow).
Chaoswizard98

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Corsair » Wed Oct 15 2014 6:05pm

Bingo. No need to have each individual frame. Just need ro animate the individual sprites, of which there are not that many.
Corsair

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Chaoswizard98 » Wed Oct 15 2014 11:26pm

Ok This should be every magic sprite in shining force 2. Palates may be slightly off due to the method they were ripped however they should be pretty close. Use as you like.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-F-g- ... sp=sharing
Chaoswizard98

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Chaoswizard98 » Fri Oct 17 2014 4:13pm

Just finished optimizing the game's code. I managed to remove around 4000 lines of code and made lots of things simpler for the future game engine release. My goal for the game engine is to have it be as simple as possible and require little to no coding experience to make a semi decent SF game.

Character creation now involves almost 0 coding whatsoever (The little coding that exists is copy paste 3 lines of code and rename).

Land effect cells are now color coded and will automatically turn invisible when the game starts. (You used to have to do this manually).

Battle levels are no longer hardcoded. The battle info is now stored via the room's global variables (Things like map size and battle number). Basically this means that if you wanted to create a new level, all you'd have to do is set the map dimensions, and tell it what battle number it is.

Since GameMaker is very user friendly already, Map creation is basically all GUI oriented. So you just draw the map using the tiles, plop the land effect cells over those, then add the controllers and characters.

I wanted to optimize the code before I started working on magic, leveling, and items since those will require more coding than the previous implementations. Time to start on magic (wewt! I'll finally be able to heal my characters).
Chaoswizard98

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Tor_Heyerdal » Fri Oct 17 2014 10:33pm

That sheet is great. I'm definitely gonna' use this. Also, thanks for the info. I didn't realize all that (like the random element in Blaze and all that). That's extremely good to know.
And yeah, I got a little mixed up by your exact meaning of sprite/shot/frame. We have the same idea of a shot and a frame, but different ideas of sprites, so there was a little mix-up there. I see what you mean now though.
Tor_Heyerdal

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Corsair » Sat Oct 18 2014 5:35am

nice work grabbing all the individual frames!

But, just out of curiosity, why do sprite sheets often have that eyerape pink (sometimes green) background color?
Corsair

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Tor_Heyerdal » Sat Oct 18 2014 7:14am

But, just out of curiosity, why do sprite sheets often have that eyerape pink (sometimes green) background color?

Because they're so eye-wrenching that no one is very likely to want to use them in any of their graphics, so they're a good choice for the transparency colour (which must be unique from any other colour on the palette), because it's no waste to let that terrible colour go and become undisplayable in the image (because it will show as fully transparent).
In other words, one of your colours on the 256 colour palette have to be a colour that no one will ever see, so it might as well be a colour that you'll never want to use.
Also, they highly contrast against most things (when they're not, you'd use the green or yellow or some other colour, but most of the time, the pink is highly contrastive), so it makes it easy to see what's transparent and what's not, and if your edges are good, and all that.
Tor_Heyerdal

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Chaoswizard98 » Sat Oct 18 2014 1:49pm

Basically what Tor said. You pick a color that isn't used anywhere in the sprites this way you can easily remove the background leaving you with just the sprites. Think of it as a green screen lol.
Chaoswizard98

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Corsair » Sat Oct 18 2014 2:11pm

I guess that makes sense if you're not doing a whole lot of direct editing of the sprites or messing with colors and stuff.

It just goes against what I've learned about spriting/art in general, especially if you're doing any color work at all. I I tend to use background colors that are less visually intense to reduce eye strain and prevent the background color from influencing the light/dark tendency of the thing I'm working on, to make the sprite pop out more than the background. For example:

It really doesn't matter that much unless you're on the editing end of things.
Corsair

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Chaoswizard98 » Mon Oct 20 2014 3:18pm

@Corsair: Yeah that makes sense. I don't do much spriting (or art), the only thing I've done in regards to that is changing the palates. (The change every pixel with color really helps lol). GameMaker's built in editor allows for transparent backgrounds. So the bright eye-shattering pink was the last thing I added lol.

Game Update.
Improved enemy AI. They now have a search range that encompasses an area greater than their movement range. If the player is within that area, enemies will move towards them. This is very easily modifiable, and with minor tweaking, you'll be able to give different enemies different AI ranges. (and different AI per battle).
(Thanks Tor for the help!)

Battle backgrounds and foregrounds also change based on terrain type now.

I made some progress with the SF2 styled ranged attacks as well (the enemy and the player aren't on the same screen and there's that transition background in between the 2) although that isn't working yet.
Chaoswizard98

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby DiegoMM » Tue Oct 21 2014 1:33am

@Chaoswizard98 Uhuuuu \o/
DiegoMM

Shining Member
Shining Member