Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Fanwork
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Shining Force III: 16-bit Pre-Alpha Demo Available

"Holy crap, is he still working on that?" Yeah, I'm still working on that! xD

Share, discuss or get ideas for your Shining Fanwork here! Anything from fanfic and fanart to homebrew Shining games and midi composition!

Re: Shining Force III: 16-bit Pre-Alpha Demo Available

Postby Omega Entity » Tue Sep 30 2014 11:29pm

I think there's a big difference between taking liberties with mechanics due to the limitations of the hardware/software, and liberties taken outright with a character's appearance.

I think where the latter is concerned, 'liberties' seems to entail taking shortcuts, which I think is where some people are getting frustrated, especially with the attitude your words convey (which is essentially 'f*ck off, I do what I want'). It may not be what you mean, but that's what it reads as. Much like the 'Uh, no it doesn't' thing - a question mark doesn't change the fact that you're directly contradicting what he was trying to point out, denying that there's any possible issue that could be there. I don't know if English is your second language or not, but it seems to be a common issue with ESL speakers.
(8:23:45 PM) ehow1990: stupid question: why do you have hay there?
(8:23:54 PM) YsFanatic18: She was feedigng horses
(8:23:58 PM) MXC0Spike: Barn sex
(8:24:07 PM) ahath714: She stuffs.
(8:24:39 PM) ehow1990: ask a stupid question and everybody has an answer XD
Omega Entity

*jiggle*
Shining Legend

Postby Tor_Heyerdal » Wed Oct 01 2014 2:20am

Now now, let's not argue about details like that. You might take input from the community but ultimately it's your game project, take it in any direction you like. Those are remarks and suggestions, not formal requests.

Sometimes I need to be reminded of that. Thanks. :thumbsup:

I think there's a big difference between taking liberties with mechanics due to the limitations of the hardware/software, and liberties taken outright with a character's appearance.

When I'm changing the appearance because it just looks like she has blue dye in her hair if I do it Cull's way, that's limitations of the hardware/software. The sprites in SF3 were easily twice the size as the sprites that I'm working with. Some things just don't work in this format (like Grace's headscarf, or Synbios' hair being twice the size of his head).

I think where the latter is concerned, 'liberties' seems to entail taking shortcuts, which I think is where some people are getting frustrated, especially with the attitude your words convey (which is essentially 'f*ck off, I do what I want'). It may not be what you mean, but that's what it reads as. Much like the 'Uh, no it doesn't' thing - a question mark doesn't change the fact that you're directly contradicting what he was trying to point out, denying that there's any possible issue that could be there. I don't know if English is your second language or not, but it seems to be a common issue with ESL speakers.

English is my first language, but I am an Aspie (high-functioning autism). If I were to attribute this communication difficulty to anything, it would be that. These kinds of difficulties that I have are a large part of why I actually started studying linguistics (in hopes of being able to communicate better/clearer with people). But mostly, what I've ended up with is a bunch of theory that I don't understand how to put into practice properly. So I just get by as best as I can. I am truly sorry if anything I say offends anyone (I'm *really* not trying to offend anyone, and I almost never am). Although admittedly, I don't think it bothers me as much as it might bother you guys (because I'm used to it, in a way). I can be difficult. Sorry for that. I guess, try to take anything like this with a grain of salt.
As for cutting corners, I only plan to devote about 5 years of my life to this project, not 25, so yeah, I *am* cutting a couple of corners. But I'll only cut corners which I find to be acceptable corners to cut, and this project is for my artistic satisfaction first and foremost. If it wasn't, I wouldn't be able to do it. This is a labour of love, not a commission. lol. There's also *my* limitations as another factor. My skills as a sprite artist are rudimentary at best, and my skills as a sprite editor only go so far, and I'm a difficult person to work with, so this project remains a one-man job. And a chain with one link is only as strong as its only link (lol), and I think I'm doing pretty exceptional, considering those limitations. <3
I am keeping the project open source though. Maybe someone else with better skills than me will do a revamp of my remake or something. I'm not sure how I'd feel about that, but I'm not gonna' try to stop anyone from doing so.

EDIT: And yes, it is my project, and I will do what I want with it. And I don't understand how that can be any kind of a problem. I like most of the input that I've gotten from this community, and I've implemented most of it, but sometimes there will be suggestions that I don't like, and I'm not going to use them. I appreciate all of the input (even the criticisms), but I'm not obligated to like everything. Quite frankly, neither are any of you. I know I can't please everyone, so as long as I think it's good enough, then it's good enough for me. If I try to use any other standard, then this project would be doomed to failure, because then I would lose my passion for it.
Creator of Shining Force III: 16-bit (WIP).
Tjelladallak våriiikeõdõtsyk jeissõ'eilamnikinõhõn. Ii'tuntoimjähädälläjät, niin miietsy iimpa'tyõhõnja.
Tjelladallak våriiikeõdõtsyk jeissõ'eilamnikinõhõn. Ii'tuntoimjähädälläjät, niin miietsy iimpa'tyõhõnja.
Tor_Heyerdal

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Omega Entity » Wed Oct 01 2014 2:34am

Ah, alright. That does explain a lot, actually - I do have some passing knowledge of Aspbergers (I don't claim to be an expert by any stretch, I've just known people that are), so I might get it slightly more than most. I applaud you in that you're at least trying to improve on your communication skills, as some I've met simply don't seem to give a rat's ass, misunderstandings be damned. Granted, there's supposedly normal people that do that on a regular basis, but they're just pretty much assholes, and I have my share of moments :)

Nuance can be an extremely difficult thing to grasp in person, let alone via text. Text has no tonal or facial cues to tell the reader what tone the text is to be taken in which is why innocuous sentences sometimes turn into gigantic unnecessary arguments which is why some people offset it with smilies or exclamation points to try and give text a warmer feeling, i.e. 'Have a nice day.' compared to 'Have a nice day!'. Dunno if that'd help you out at all or not, as at this point I just seem to be rambling.
Omega Entity

*jiggle*
Shining Legend

Postby Tor_Heyerdal » Wed Oct 01 2014 3:06am

Ah, alright. That does explain a lot, actually - I do have some passing knowledge of Aspbergers (I don't claim to be an expert by any stretch, I've just known people that are), so I might get it slightly more than most. I applaud you in that you're at least trying to improve on your communication skills, as some I've met simply don't seem to give a rat's ass, misunderstandings be damned. Granted, there's supposedly normal people that do that on a regular basis, but they're just pretty much assholes, and I have my share of moments :)

Yeah, I've been making an effort all my life. ^_^

Nuance can be an extremely difficult thing to grasp in person, let alone via text. Text has no tonal or facial cues to tell the reader what tone the text is to be taken in which is why innocuous sentences sometimes turn into gigantic unnecessary arguments which is why some people offset it with smilies or exclamation points to try and give text a warmer feeling, i.e. 'Have a nice day.' compared to 'Have a nice day!'. Dunno if that'd help you out at all or not, as at this point I just seem to be rambling.

Yeah. I try to do this, sometimes too much so, to the point that they lose their meaning. lol. But I don't always use the best one, and sometimes I don't think to use them (them being smilies and the like). But I completely agree. It causes a lot of issues for me, because I'm prone to misinterpreting things. ^^;; And also because I tend to express myself in atypical ways, and so I'm often misinterpreted as well.
Tor_Heyerdal

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby knight0fdragon » Thu Oct 09 2014 3:31am

this is pretty cool, most of the bugs I encounter have been mentioned, To those complaining about the long intro, SF3 intro is even longer then this lol, we didnt see the floating city with the birds, the monk getting the flower, then turning to a soldier, Masquirin peeking in, etc etc. Must say though, seeing this, makes you appreciate the beauty that is SF3
knight0fdragon

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Chaoswizard98 » Fri Oct 10 2014 3:16am

Just played it, I never played SF3 before so I was a tad bit lost on what to do. (And I didn't install the font so...I couldn't read the words too well lol).

I did run into a "fly over everything without checking collisions" bug.

Everything runs smoothly however I noticed that when a person ends their turn, the cursor stalls for a few seconds before moving to the next target. I'm not sure if that is intentional or not, I'm used to SF 1 and 2 which is a bit more faster paced.

Anyways it's looking great so far! Keep up the good work!
Creator of the GameMaker Shining Engine and "The Legend of Syro" Fan Game. (WIP)
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=26022
Creator of the GameMaker Shining Engine and "The Legend of Syro" Fan Game. (WIP)
Chaoswizard98

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Tor_Heyerdal » Fri Oct 10 2014 3:52am

this is pretty cool, most of the bugs I encounter have been mentioned, To those complaining about the long intro, SF3 intro is even longer then this lol, we didnt see the floating city with the birds, the monk getting the flower, then turning to a soldier, Masquirin peeking in, etc etc.

-knight0fDragon

Oh, don't worry. All of that extra long longedness will be there eventually. lol. Although I'm not sure what I'm gonna' do about the CGI opening that comes before the title screen. I'll probably either leave that out entirely or just include a low-res video file. lol. But who knows, maybe I'll find some way of doing a 16-bit rendition of it with exclusively normal-game resources. That probably won't come until the whole game is done though, and I have all of my resources that I'll have for working with.

Must say though, seeing this, makes you appreciate the beauty that is SF3

A high compliment indeed. Thanks.

By the way, I love your name, knight0fdragon. Every time that I see it, it makes me think of the song "Night of Fire", except with "Fire" replaced by "Dragon", and it makes me laugh every time. x)

I did run into a "fly over everything without checking collisions" bug.

-Chaoswizard98

Really? Can you please tell me where, because I thought I'd dealt with any problems like that. I'll get on fixing that ASAP if you can tell me where it happened.

Everything runs smoothly however I noticed that when a person ends their turn, the cursor stalls for a few seconds before moving to the next target. I'm not sure if that is intentional or not, I'm used to SF 1 and 2 which is a bit more faster paced.

-Chaoswizard98

That was deliberate, but it was definitely set way too long. It was actually a delay of exactly one second, but it definitely feels like a few seconds when you put it next to the pace that one is accustomed to in an SF game. This delay has been brought down to .2 seconds, and it feels a lot more natural now.

Anyways it's looking great so far! Keep up the good work!

-Chaoswizard98

Thanks. ^^
Tor_Heyerdal

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Chaoswizard98 » Fri Oct 10 2014 2:55pm

I'm pretty sure I triggered it by running back and forth on the stairs (bottom right corner of the headquarters). I noticed that if you go up the stairs, then stop before walking off the stairs, then turn around and go back, the last tile before leaving the stairs is considered a blocked tile (so you cant change your mind wile walking up the stairs, you have to go all the way up then back down).

After playing around on the stairs I left the building and I could fly over the guards. I figured that you just hadn't tile blocked them or something so I kept walking around. That's when I found out I could fly over everything lol.

I fixed it by going back inside HQ, using the stairs, and going back out.

If you need more info, I'll try to re create it when I get home.
Chaoswizard98

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Tor_Heyerdal » Sat Oct 11 2014 12:32am

I think that should be enough information. I'll check it out soon, and I'll let you know if I turn out to need more info (but I doubt it; I think that should be good). Thanks.
Tor_Heyerdal

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Chaoswizard98 » Sun Oct 12 2014 4:05pm

Found 2 more bugs for ya.

I moved grace down 1 tile to heal the hero, and when I switched between heal options, it hovered over her original location. If I moved grace far from her original location, she couldn't heal herself.

The second was once I completed the battle, movement was like 10 times as fast and I could fly over stuff.
Chaoswizard98

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Lord Oddeye sama » Sun Oct 12 2014 5:02pm

Chaoswizard98 wrote:The second was once I completed the battle, movement was like 10 times as fast and I could fly over stuff.

This one's intended, I'm pretty sure.
I despise berzerk attitude.
¿ ? The OddBlood ¿ ?
/ Because Life is Odd. \
Secretary of Odds and Ends, Rainblood Secessionists
Jinx unto ye!

Wargasm @ Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:26 am wrote:Vous êtes tous douches. J'aime le monde des poissons bleus.

Do you like Shining Force 1? Do you like orchestral remixes? Then this is for you: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24551#p668069
¿ ? The OddBlood ¿ ?
/ Because Life is Odd. \
Jinx unto ye!

Wargasm @ Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:26 am wrote:Vous êtes tous douches. J'aime le monde des poissons bleus.

Do you like Shining Force 1? Do you like orchestral remixes? Then this is for you: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24551#p668069
Lord Oddeye sama

Legendary Greater Devil
Shining Legend

Postby Tor_Heyerdal » Sun Oct 12 2014 10:15pm

I moved grace down 1 tile to heal the hero, and when I switched between heal options, it hovered over her original location. If I moved grace far from her original location, she couldn't heal herself.

Yeah, I'm aware of this one already, and I'm pretty sure that it's been addressed already here in this forum. I still haven't fixed it yet, but it's on the to-do list. The same thing will happen with items too.

The second was once I completed the battle, movement was like 10 times as fast and I could fly over stuff.

Wow, really? This one, I was not aware of. xD That's pretty funny. Thanks for letting me know.
Tor_Heyerdal

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Lord Oddeye sama » Mon Oct 13 2014 5:09am

Oh, I thought that was part of some kind of debug mode thing.
¿ ? The OddBlood ¿ ?
/ Because Life is Odd. \
Jinx unto ye!

¿ ? The OddBlood ¿ ?
/ Because Life is Odd. \
Jinx unto ye!

Lord Oddeye sama

Legendary Greater Devil
Shining Legend

Postby Tor_Heyerdal » Mon Oct 13 2014 8:22am

Oh, I thought that was part of some kind of debug mode thing.

Nope. RPG Maker actually lets you walk through walls and such by holding CTRL if you're in test-play mode, so I wouldn't need to put that particular thing in to happen automatically like that.
Tor_Heyerdal

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Daniel » Wed Feb 18 2015 2:39am

Came back to see how you were doing after all this time with the game. I'll play it later tonight, but just so you know, I already proved you can make a Shining Force game on Rpgmaker2k3 YEARS ago.

I'm curious to see how you did the movement system, and I'll give you and pretty much everyone else that wants it the basic move system I made. I'll edit or post anew when I see what you came up with.
Daniel

Postby bum_199 » Sun Apr 26 2015 1:32am

id love to see the movement system. i think a lot of people would like to know how to implement it.
bum_199

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Furbag » Mon Apr 27 2015 3:07pm

Just gave the alpha a play through this past weekend and I'm seriously impressed. I can't wait for the finished product. I always wanted to play through SFIII, but I've never been able to emulate it without crashing at certain parts, plus the graphics are horribly dated whereas SFII graphics, to me at least, are timeless.
Furbag

Postby ShadowDragon » Wed May 13 2015 11:24am

looking awesome so far, how far have you progressed on this?
ShadowDragon

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Tor_Heyerdal » Thu May 28 2015 12:34am

Thanks so much, Furbag. ^_^ And you too, ShadowDragon.

The short answer to your question, ShadowDragon, is a decent little bit. You can find a checklist of feature progression here, in the opening post of the following thread:
http://forums.shiningforcecentral.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=23795

There are many, many new features that have been successfully added since the release of this alpha, and you can find them on that checklist.

The combat menus have far more functionality than they used to. Equipment menus can be accessed and used. Targeting yourself works a lot better now. You can no longer heal enemies. Several graphical glitches have been fixed. The AI has been very much improved (though still isn't exactly "perfect"). Weapon skill growth is now implemented (although it doesn't level up yet). You can now press the cancel button to activate the in-combat cursor, returning your character to their starting spot, allowing you to scroll around the map. All of the features within that cursor-menu are usable (the map works, the save works, the in-combat status menu works, and the advice option works). You can also click on a target under the cursor with the enter (C) or shift (A) buttons to bring up their status sheet, or their health-panel+movement range. The battle will now properly conclude and moves on with the story after completion, and now includes several new cutscenes, and NPC dialogues. And no doubt a bunch of other stuff that I can't specifically recall at the moment.

I have been taking a break from the project for the last few months, as I do every few months, to play games for a while, rather than just making them (I go back and forth from exclusively playing, to exclusively devving), and also because I am currently recovering from surgery, and I'm just taking it easy for a while.

You guys are just lucky that I only turned out to have a collapsed lung, and not cancer or something, or else the project would probably be officially cancelled. lol. BUT AS LONG AS I'M STILL ALIVE AND NOT KNOWINGLY DYING, SO IS THIS PROJECT! :thumbsup:
Tor_Heyerdal

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Chaoswizard98 » Thu May 28 2015 4:14am

Wewt Tor's back!
Hope you have a speedy recovery from surgery!
Chaoswizard98

Shining Member
Shining Member

PreviousNext

Return to Shining Fanwork