Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Fanwork
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Shining Force III: 16-bit Pre-Alpha Demo Available

"Holy crap, is he still working on that?" Yeah, I'm still working on that! xD

Share, discuss or get ideas for your Shining Fanwork here! Anything from fanfic and fanart to homebrew Shining games and midi composition!

Shining Force III: 16-bit Pre-Alpha Demo Available

Postby Tor_Heyerdal » Fri Sep 26 2014 8:33am

Hello, everyone!
I am *thrilled* to announce that I have *finally* completed *enough* of my battle and menu systems to be able to share with you all this playable pre-alpha demo of Shining Force III: 16-bit.
As many of you know, I've been working on this since around January-ish 2013, and I'm tremendously proud of what I've produced thus far. It's been a very long time, but I really hope that the wait will prove to be worth it. And you've all been such great sports about how long it's taking, so I am definitely happy to finally have something to give back to you all at long last. I was originally planning to not release anything at all until you were able to leave Saraband, but I figure with how long it's been, you guys deserve an early look.
Let this demo be a taste of things to come. :thumbsup: Just a taste though, since it's definitely not done yet, and some stuff is still buggy, but it will *all* be sorted out eventually, I promise. :)
You can download the demo from here (58.7MB in .rar format; 105MB unpacked):

THE PASSWORD IS "sfc" WITHOUT THE QUOTES!
https://www.dropbox.com/s/o4nwkjsddlrbk ... o.rar?dl=0
THE PASSWORD IS "sfc" WITHOUT THE QUOTES!

IMPORTANT EDIT: APPARENTLY, this requires the RM2K3 RTP to be installed. I thought that by including all the RTP files in the game's resource directories, it would no longer require that. Buuuut it still does. It's okay though. It's only 15MB. Here's a link to the RTP (Run Time Package). It would seem that the game won't run without this.
EDIT: The link I originally put here for the RTP died a long time ago. So here's a link from my Dropbox which I've since uploaded. This will also install the editor in addition to the RTP, but you can uninstall the editor if you want to. It's pretty small, though, so it shouldn't be an imposition. Future releases will not require this at all.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/nnxcigyuxx9k19e/rm2k3-install.exe?dl=0

Be sure to tell me what you think of it all, eh?
Enjoy.

EDIT: I have now officially proven that a Shining style battle system *IS* possible in RPG Maker 2003. <3

EDIT: Oh, you'll need to install the font. This release is just a .rar package, so there's no auto-installation of things yet. The font is called "Sforce" and it's a .fon file. It's in the main folder that comes in the .rar archive. You should be able to just right click on the Sforce.fon file, and then select "install". Or if you're on Windows XP, then you'll probably have to manually copy it, and then paste it into your "fonts" folder in your "Windows" directory (probably "C:\Windows\Fonts" or "C:\WINXP\Fonts"). If you don't do this, then the font that will display in-game will be atrocious and basically unreadable.
EDIT: Get an updated version of the font here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ld58d8nsjdbq9j4/Sforce%20font.rar?dl=0 This makes the old font look like poo. Archive password "sfc" (without the quotes).

EDIT: The font is also a tad bit incomplete (it's still missing things like brackets and the ampersand symbol). So in the next build, you'll need to over-write the font with the new one that will be made.

EDIT: This was created on a machine using Windows XP. I have absolutely no idea if it will work on Linux or Mac, though it is tested and found to be working on Windows 7. If you have screen flicker in full screen mode, you will need to turn down your Hardware Acceleration. The method for doing this varies depending on your operating system, so I would recommend Googling "how to turn down hardware acceleration on *insert operating system here*" if you do have that problem. If you do need to do this though, don't turn it down all the way. Just turn it down one tick at a time until it works.

EDIT: I don't suppose we could get this stickied, could we? That would be nifty. ;)

EDIT: It is now confirmed to be working on Windows 8.1.
Last edited by Tor_Heyerdal on Sun Oct 16 2016 4:24pm, edited 3 times in total.
Creator of Shining Force III: 16-bit (WIP).
Tjelladallak våriiikeõdõtsyk jeissõ'eilamnikinõhõn. Ii'tuntoimjähädälläjät, niin miietsy iimpa'tyõhõnja.
Tjelladallak våriiikeõdõtsyk jeissõ'eilamnikinõhõn. Ii'tuntoimjähädälläjät, niin miietsy iimpa'tyõhõnja.
Tor_Heyerdal

Shining Member
Shining Member

Re: Shining Force III: 16-bit Pre-Alpha Demo Available

Postby MXC » Fri Sep 26 2014 12:51pm

That was pretty fun, good job.

I have a few things to critique about the demo itself. I wouldn't put that massive intro in (leave it for a ReadMe.) It wouldn't be bad with just a few key points but anything more might be too much (especially for someone trying to play the demo for a second+ time.)

The font seems to be cut off at the end of lines sometimes (Is that because it is italicized?). Speaking of font, I know you tell the player to install the Shining Force font, but it's a bit into the intro and it's hard to read that to begin with lol. I'd recommend that be the first thing in your intro.

Ugh, I forgot SF3 has a long intro!

When Grace shakes her head, she loses her hat.

When the story advances in the city (Medion shows up), I was able to bring up menus while the dialogue was playing. I'm not sure if this happens elsewhere.

The battle was better than expected so good on that.

These graphics are so much easier on my eyes than the original. I'd actually play and enjoy this as opposed to the headache of the original.

Keep up the good work. This is awesome (and so are shots at Stor :thumbsup: )
MXC

Shining Legend

Postby Tor_Heyerdal » Fri Sep 26 2014 1:07pm

Thanks a lot, dude. ^_^

I'll address each of your points in order.

About the long intro: I agree that it's pretty lengthy. Maybe for the next build, I'll provide an option to skip it somehow. As for keeping it in the Readme, I did think of that, but I figured that most people won't even realize that there *is* a Readme, let alone actually *read* it. lol. So I figured to prevent myself from getting asked a bunch of questions that are already in the Readme, I'd just put it right into the demo.

About the font getting cut off at the end of lines: I actually addressed this exact thing in that lengthy intro bit. lol. It's because RPG Maker has certain dimensional constraints on the letters. For example, "m" can only be six pixels wide, but mine is like, nine or something. So the next letter will start drawing on that M's seventh pixel instead of the tenth, and if it's the last letter in the line, it will just cut it off after pixel 6. So I just have to go back and put a space at the end of every line of dialogue, which I'll be doing for the next build (and which I promised to do for the next build in the intro of this build. :P) Also, when I compiled this, I had never seen what the font would look like on someone's PC who didn't have it installed. But I have now, and after having seen it, I would agree that I should move the font message to the front. or better yet, just put a clear picture in the background about it that spells it out in easy to read font.

Yeah, SFIII's intro is really long.... But it's still no Star Ocean 2 or The Forbidden Series Tactics. lol.

Yeah, Grace is losing her hat because her head shake/nod animation is still using her old head. lol. I need to update that. I was aware of it though. <3

Yeah, the menu advancement thing does happen in other places too. It happens if you press enter in between message windows (during the fraction of a second that the window is flying on or off screen). I am aware of this, and it will be dealt with as well.

I've really put my heart and soul into this battle, so I'm glad to hear that. ^^

Thanks so much about the graphics! I was afraid that people might find it a little too cramped with the 16x16 tiles (although I guess the Game Gear SF games had 16x16 tiles, and no one seemed to mind that).

And I will *definitely* be keeping up the good work! :D
Tor_Heyerdal

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby MXC » Fri Sep 26 2014 1:12pm

:lol: @ the font being cut off. Maybe it's just me but I zoned out and kept tapping the space bar to advance the text halfway through. I did track down the actual readme prior to starting though. That all makes sense though. Thanks for clearing it up.
MXC

Shining Legend

Postby Lord Oddeye sama » Fri Sep 26 2014 2:53pm

Great work for an early demo. :) There's no point nitpicking at this stage and you've already addressed most issues in the intro. One thing of note though, I only managed to enter the pub after the demo ended. There's an obstacle in the way prior to that so I figured people should know since that's semi-hidden.

But yeah, this game put a smile on my face. Very exciting project. :love: You should've seen me playing through like I was just finding out about SF3! I haven't been keeping track of the other thread lately, do you have any clue how to implement movement penalties from terrain yet? And what direction are you going to take with this? Any priorities? Because it definitely still looks like you've got years of work ahead of you.
I despise berzerk attitude.
¿ ? The OddBlood ¿ ?
/ Because Life is Odd. \
Secretary of Odds and Ends, Rainblood Secessionists
Jinx unto ye!

Wargasm @ Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:26 am wrote:Vous êtes tous douches. J'aime le monde des poissons bleus.

Do you like Shining Force 1? Do you like orchestral remixes? Then this is for you: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24551#p668069
¿ ? The OddBlood ¿ ?
/ Because Life is Odd. \
Jinx unto ye!

Wargasm @ Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:26 am wrote:Vous êtes tous douches. J'aime le monde des poissons bleus.

Do you like Shining Force 1? Do you like orchestral remixes? Then this is for you: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24551#p668069
Lord Oddeye sama

Legendary Greater Devil
Shining Legend

Postby Tor_Heyerdal » Fri Sep 26 2014 3:05pm

Yeah, I think that what I'm going to have to do is give each movement tile a variable value that's equal to "number of steps remaining", have it set to start out as being equivalent to Temp_SPD (which is the variable for the movement value of whoever's turn it is), and have it subtract from itself depending on what kind of terrain is about to be stepped on. It'll be a big job considering the fact that I'll have to go through all of my already existing code for movement-based stuff and kind of put that in after the fact.
Right now, I think that my next priorities will be getting the experience gains to actually apply (right now, your exp never actually goes up, despite what it says), getting the spell cast to actually ask you what level of spell you want to cast before it just goes ahead with level 1, having the Heal spell calculate exp, putting in the sound effects for the Heal spell and the sprite death explosions, animating the cinematic sprite for the target of the Heal spell, getting the target window (in the lower-left) to display the target's level if the target is a good guy, making it so that the info windows (lower left and upper right) are translucent when enemies are attacking, fixing the targeting so that you can cast/use on yourself, making it so that the fight ends right away when you finish it instead of playing that swishing sound six times before ending, dodge/special/counter calculations, and weapon skill implementation. Also, fixing my damage formulas would be pretty nice too (the damage is a little bit too low on both sides).
Thanks for reminding me about the obstacle over the bar entrance. I actually forgot about that one.
And you're right. I definitely still have years of work ahead of me. Thanks so much for the kind words though. I'm so glad that you enjoyed it so much. ^_____^
Tor_Heyerdal

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Stordarth » Sat Sep 27 2014 3:25am

You know, if you want it stickying, maybe don't poke fun at the one other guy who has tried frustratingly to no avail for 15 years to get it working?

In seriousness though, I didn't expect you to get this far. It looks promising.

Noticed a fairly serious bug though. As soon as I had control after the meeting, I brought up the menu. I noticed that all of the menus appeared as what looks like the normal menu, and then shifted to the item menu after about a second. I eventually brought up the status menu, but this froze Synbios and I couldn't navigate the menu, though I could still bring up the menu icon window and inspect. I know you mentioned the menu was incomplete, but as this prevented any kind of progress, I figured I ought to mention it.

I'll look into playing the battle when I hack out the lengthy intro and meeting scene for my own ends. By the sounds of it though, you still have yet to defeat the massive hurdle of terrain impedance.

Good luck. Seriously.
Stordarth

The L-Block Anomaly
Administrator

Postby Stordarth » Sat Sep 27 2014 3:43am

Tested it again after hacking out the intro and opening scene. Similar issue with the status menu, but couldn't replicate the icon menu glitch immediately. I was able to step outside and the frozen CMS menus vanished. I noticed that once I was outside that the status menu worked normally, but I'm also noticing that the keys denoted in the intro don't seem to match the functions. For instance, I'm having to press Z to confirm anything. I did replicate the glitch with the menu icons outside though. It seemed to happen when pressing space. It may be worth shutting out these surplus keys if you can, as they seem to be introducing problems with your CMS. The icon glitch also seems to be what is freezing Synbios in place.
Stordarth

The L-Block Anomaly
Administrator

Postby Lord Oddeye sama » Sat Sep 27 2014 8:17am

Any issue I've found with the menus could be fixed by pressing Escape while a menu is open. It resets everything.
¿ ? The OddBlood ¿ ?
/ Because Life is Odd. \
Jinx unto ye!

¿ ? The OddBlood ¿ ?
/ Because Life is Odd. \
Jinx unto ye!

Lord Oddeye sama

Legendary Greater Devil
Shining Legend

Postby Tor_Heyerdal » Sat Sep 27 2014 3:07pm

You know, if you want it stickying, maybe don't poke fun at the one other guy who has tried frustratingly to no avail for 15 years to get it working?

Did... did you *actually* just take that personally? Like, for reals? Even with the "heart" and everything? Jeeze. I wasn't "poking fun", that remark was made out of endearment. There's just no not being a dick with you, is there? I take things seriously, and I'm not light hearted enough. I take things light hearted and I'm not serious enough. Seriously? And you'll even base not stickying it on that? Because I decided to be silly for a second? That was *supposed* to be a bloody peace offering, since all the arguing that went down between us in the past. ¬_¬ I'm legitimately shocked right now that you would react that way.

In seriousness though, I didn't expect you to get this far.

I know. You voiced that. That's why I said what I said. I was addressing *exactly* that. Nobody voiced more doubt than you. I think that justifies giving you a little shout-out. When the Saraband demo was finished, I was actually planning to *dedicate* the thing to you *because* of your sketpticism. That's called being a cool dude.

Noticed a fairly serious bug though. As soon as I had control after the meeting, I brought up the menu. I noticed that all of the menus appeared as what looks like the normal menu, and then shifted to the item menu after about a second. I eventually brought up the status menu, but this froze Synbios and I couldn't navigate the menu, though I could still bring up the menu icon window and inspect. I know you mentioned the menu was incomplete, but as this prevented any kind of progress, I figured I ought to mention it.

This has never happened to me before (well, technically it has, but not since I fixed it), and I *just* tested it, and it's still not happening. If you can manage to find some way to recreate this, then I would be keenly interested to know how you managed to pull it off.
Is anyone else having this problem?

I'm also noticing that the keys denoted in the intro don't seem to match the functions. For instance, I'm having to press Z to confirm anything. I did replicate the glitch with the menu icons outside though. It seemed to happen when pressing space. It may be worth shutting out these surplus keys if you can, as they seem to be introducing problems with your CMS. The icon glitch also seems to be what is freezing Synbios in place.

Once again, I just tested them, and the keys are working exactly as intended. If your "Z" key is working for confirmation, then so should your space and enter keys, because RPG Maker literally sees *no* difference between them. They're all just "key 5" as far as the game is concerned, and there's nothing I can do about changing that, short of remaking the RPG Maker 2003 program from scratch. So it's not possible to "shut out those surplus keys". Granted, I don't like them, myself. I wish I could customize it entirely. I would recommend using X-Padder with a USB controller if you've got one.
Furthermore, you say you have to use "Z" to confirm anything, I've never even *ONCE* used the "Z" key for *anything* the entire time that I've been working on this project. I've only ever exclusively used Enter, and never had any problems. Are you on Windows 8? Maybe that's it. I've heard of people saying that RPG Maker games can go screwy with Windows 8.

Any issue I've found with the menus could be fixed by pressing Escape while a menu is open. It resets everything.

I really wish I could find any evidence of these "issues" so I could fix them. T_T
Tor_Heyerdal

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Stordarth » Sat Sep 27 2014 3:47pm

Lord Oddeye sama wrote:Any issue I've found with the menus could be fixed by pressing Escape while a menu is open. It resets everything.

I tried that. It didn't remove the CMS overlay, and didn't help with the menu icon error.

Tor_Heyerdal wrote:Did... did you *actually* just take that personally? Like, for reals? Even with the "heart" and everything? Jeeze. I wasn't "poking fun", that remark was made out of endearment. There's just no not being a dick with you, is there? I take things seriously, and I'm not light hearted enough. I take things light hearted and I'm not serious enough. Seriously? And you'll even base not stickying it on that? Because I decided to be silly for a second? That was *supposed* to be a bloody peace offering, since all the arguing that went down between us in the past. ¬_¬ I'm legitimately shocked right now that you would react that way.

No. Hence the following up with 'seriously though.' I should have maybe put a smiley to make it clear. Oh well. I did forget to sticky it though. I'll sort that now.

The control issue was my bad. I'd just got home from a Dragonforce gig and my brain was mush, I was tired and misread the control scheme. I'll do more testing to isolate the glitches when I have more time.

I'm on Windows 7, so I know that RPG Maker 2K3 works OK.
Stordarth

The L-Block Anomaly
Administrator

Postby Tor_Heyerdal » Sat Sep 27 2014 4:11pm

I tried that. It didn't remove the CMS overlay, and didn't help with the menu icon error.

If you can isolate whatever it is that's causing that, I'll be sure to get on fixing it ASAP, because I'm not having that problem at all. Also, I don't see how it would've worked in the first place. Like I was saying, the game doesn't distinguish a difference between any of the cancel keys (escape, x, numpad-0, backspace); they're all just "key 6" as far as the game is concerned. So it shouldn't make a difference which key you use.

No. Hence the following up with 'seriously though.' I should have maybe put a smiley to make it clear. Oh well. I did forget to sticky it though. I'll sort that now.

I guess that was my bad too then, 'cause I did misinterpret that. An emote would've been a good idea though. I actually did originally have a winky face emote at the end of that line in the demo, but when I realized that I completely forgot to make every variation of brackets in the font, and it was just showing as a semi-colon, I changed it to "-heart-". lol. Thanks for clarifying that. And thanks for the sticky. :)

The control issue was my bad. I'd just got home from a Dragonforce gig and my brain was mush, I was tired and misread the control scheme. I'll do more testing to isolate the glitches when I have more time.

lol. That's actually pretty funny, and makes sense. Definitely let me know how that isolating goes when you find the time to get around to it.

I'm on Windows 7, so I know that RPG Maker 2K3 works OK.

Yeah, if you're on Windows 7, then that shouldn't be the problem. It must be something else.
Tor_Heyerdal

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Xiados » Sat Sep 27 2014 5:24pm

LO was telling me about the demo release, I look forward to trying it out this week.

And in the mean time...

:shifty:
Xiados

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Lord Oddeye sama » Sat Sep 27 2014 5:46pm

Tor_Heyerdal wrote:I really wish I could find any evidence of these "issues" so I could fix them. T_T

Oh, my bad. I thought that was still work in progress. I'll try to recreate the three I've found, give me a moment.

Edit: PM sent.
¿ ? The OddBlood ¿ ?
/ Because Life is Odd. \
Jinx unto ye!

¿ ? The OddBlood ¿ ?
/ Because Life is Odd. \
Jinx unto ye!

Lord Oddeye sama

Legendary Greater Devil
Shining Legend

Postby Tor_Heyerdal » Sat Sep 27 2014 8:38pm

@Lord Oddeye sama: Okay, I see exactly what's happening here. The problem is that you're trying to access the use items menu. lol. I see you open the menu. Then press right to tick over to item. Then it's in the main item menu, and you try to access the "use" command. I did mention in the intro bit that only the status and search menus work. What I suppose I forgot to mention though, is that if you *try* to access any of the other menus, you're going to likely break the whole thing. lol. And while the search feature will result in a message, it's only ever going to result in that one message. It can't actually detect anything in front of you yet. So the search effectively does nothing. Only the status menu actually works. If you try to use anything that isn't "status" or "inspect", you'll break the menu (though going into "item" will not break it; trying to access anything therein definitely will).
EDIT: Trying to go into Magic will probably break it as well, but I haven't actually tried it.
Tor_Heyerdal

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Omega Entity » Sat Sep 27 2014 9:03pm

Xiados wrote:LO was telling me about the demo release, I look forward to trying it out this week.

And in the mean time...

:shifty:

Animated adventures of the Achievement Hunters. Excellent.
(8:23:45 PM) ehow1990: stupid question: why do you have hay there?
(8:23:54 PM) YsFanatic18: She was feedigng horses
(8:23:58 PM) MXC0Spike: Barn sex
(8:24:07 PM) ahath714: She stuffs.
(8:24:39 PM) ehow1990: ask a stupid question and everybody has an answer XD
(8:23:45 PM) ehow1990: stupid question: why do you have hay there?
(8:23:54 PM) YsFanatic18: She was feedigng horses
(8:23:58 PM) MXC0Spike: Barn sex
(8:24:07 PM) ahath714: She stuffs.
(8:24:39 PM) ehow1990: ask a stupid question and everybody has an answer XD
Omega Entity

*jiggle*
Shining Legend

Postby DiegoMM » Sun Sep 28 2014 12:15am

Man, its awesome!
DiegoMM

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Tor_Heyerdal » Sun Sep 28 2014 4:58am

Thanks, DiegoMM. ^_^

I could really use someone who's able to hack into the original game image to find out how some of the more esoteric features are mathed out. If anyone wants to join on board as my data miner, that would be freakin' awesome. Any takers? I know we got some people around here who can do that sort of thing.
Tor_Heyerdal

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Swalchy » Sun Sep 28 2014 11:13am

Firstly, excellent work on the demo! Seriously, damn good job :)

Few bugs I had come up, just so you're aware (if you're not already):

First floor of the first house: I was unable to bring up the menu system, regardless of what key I was pressing to be either A or C. I also had difficulty searching the chest that is in the far room on the first floor because of this, and once it eventually did search, I can't recall what it was that actually ended up opening it :)

Talking to people who ask questions: If you talk to someone who asks a question, the Yes/No thing stays on screen until you enter a new house/section.

First battle: It appeared that Grace really didn't seem to get her turn per round, and seemed like Masqurin was almost getting two goes per round because of this.

Also, the battle doesn't end if Synbios gets defeated :)

Bar the above, this is an absolutely fantastic achievement, Tor. Good luck to you getting further on with it! :D
The Way To Yahuweh

Salibu: 20/08/10 wrote:You have all been Swalched.

Damn I've been here a long f*cking time...
The Way To Yahuweh

Salibu: 20/08/10 wrote:You have all been Swalched.

Damn I've been here a long f*cking time...
Swalchy

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Lord Oddeye sama » Sun Sep 28 2014 11:57am

Swalchy wrote:First floor of the first house: I was unable to bring up the menu system, regardless of what key I was pressing to be either A or C. I also had difficulty searching the chest that is in the far room on the first floor because of this, and once it eventually did search, I can't recall what it was that actually ended up opening it :)

This happens in a couple houses too. Also the jingle turns off the music with some items.

But good job again, this makes me want to replay SF3.
¿ ? The OddBlood ¿ ?
/ Because Life is Odd. \
Jinx unto ye!

¿ ? The OddBlood ¿ ?
/ Because Life is Odd. \
Jinx unto ye!

Lord Oddeye sama

Legendary Greater Devil
Shining Legend

Next

Return to Shining Fanwork