Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Fanwork
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Official Fanart Thread 6

Keeping the dream alive

Share, discuss or get ideas for your Shining Fanwork here! Anything from fanfic and fanart to homebrew Shining games and midi composition!

Official Fanart Thread 6

Postby ExevaloN » Sat May 01 2010 11:41pm

And here I was wondering how far we could take number 5. O well. Here is number 6 for your viewing pleasure. Let's get to it people.

I'll start it off with a fine portrait of my character Vay from my fangame which has yet to take off. And I wish my scanner could actually show the true colors of this piece because it is beautiful. I had to do some edits also since the scanner didn't pick up my pencils good enough. Im also working on a Tao piece, here is the sketch. Gonna take it digital soon.

"The parasite hates three things: free markets, free will, and free men."
ExevaloN

Shining Member
Shining Member

Re: Official Fanart Thread 6

Postby whiterose » Sun May 02 2010 5:12am

That's a pretty nice Tao sketch, Ex. Man... you guys draw clothes and folds in clothes so well... D:

And.. interesting colors in the top pic. Great job on her shading, and her facial features. She looks a little older than your typical rpg character as well. A nice change from the usual norm.
whiterose

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Christine » Mon May 03 2010 7:47pm

Not sure if you guys have ever seen it, but since I found it on my disc and it's THAT awesome, here it goes:

I found it randomly on the net on some japanese site.

Excuse me f it isn't the right place. :blush: But I wanted to share.
Christine

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Martin III » Thu May 13 2010 10:05pm

Nice stuff, ExevaloN. Tao is a little too masculine, particularly in her face, but I like her pose.
"Sir Reginald, Duke of Chutney! ...And don't stick your tongue out at me, kid." - Disney's Robin Hood

"Hey, where's my Holy Grail?!" - Shining Tears X Wind
"Sir Reginald, Duke of Chutney! ...And don't stick your tongue out at me, kid." - Disney's Robin Hood

Martin III

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby RainyDaySunshine » Fri May 28 2010 10:20am

Awesome stuff everyone (thinking back to fanart thread 5 to). Havent done anything for aaaaaages, but got some extra time during work and made a quick blinking Tao animation:

http://rainydaysunshine.deviantart.com/ ... -165576313
RainyDaySunshine

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Martin III » Sat Jun 05 2010 11:56pm

Hey, glad to have you back, RainyDay! That is a cute one. I like the pale coloring; it's a whole different "look" for Tao, while still being recognizably her.

I've been browsing the Deviant Art pages and I discovered(re-discovered?) this beautiful piece of SS2 art. Was this posted on these forums already? If so, my apologies; I just love it so much that I had to share.

Martin III

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Masquerine » Tue Jun 08 2010 2:15am

It may not be the greatest, but I've been playing around on the Jumesyn Oekaki board a bit, using the Shi Painter Pro with animation enabled. It lets me or other people see the pictures I do as they are/were being drawn, which I think is awesome. Clicking the M to speed it up is fun. An hour's work of moving a mouse around to draw in only 10 seconds.

I mean, someone has to resurrect the Jumesyn Oekaki board. Ninjas already took their forums. >.> I had never really tried to use a mouse to draw before. It's not exactly as easy as a pencil is to draw on paper, which I'm much more skilled at doing.
Join the Oekaki board and make some more Shining Force pics!

Jumesyn Oekaki board link:
http://www.celestialdamnation.com/jumes ... /index.php

Links to pictures I made on Jumesyn's Oekaki: (First two were not done in Shi Painter Pro, so no animation feature)

Robbie, Rollie, Shiraf, Dantares with Masqurin, Taros/Talos, Grace

http://www.celestialdamnation.com/jumes ... /OP_23.png
http://www.celestialdamnation.com/jumes ... /OP_24.png
http://www.celestialdamnation.com/jumes ... 0&recno=47
http://www.celestialdamnation.com/jumes ... 0&recno=48
http://www.celestialdamnation.com/jumes ... 0&recno=49
http://www.celestialdamnation.com/jumes ... 0&recno=51
I scribble Shining Force 3 stuffs with Jumesyn!
http://www.celestialdamnation.com/jumesyn/oekaki/
I've got a deviantart for non-shining pencil stuffs!
http://white-r4bbit.deviantart.com/
Masquerine

Postby O'Neill » Mon Jun 14 2010 6:05am

Okay, catching up on comments, including from the last thread. orz

Culley O'Fursdom
I like that Hope has this solid feel to her. It's a nice change to see a female character with some meat on her bones. That said, I've known a number of women who prefer very short skirts, but they're all on the short side themselves--the skirts help their legs to appear longer and keep them from looking like little girls. XD

("Hope" is more naturally rendered as ホープ. ホェプ would sound more like "ho-eh-p," with the o and the eh blending in a sort of rising slur.)

Martin III
Haha, I tend to read all the way through a post without pausing to form responses, so I completely understand. Really glad to hear that Mitula has an air of mystery because I was shooting for that.

TheUnknownMarine
Thanks. *g*

ExevaloN
Nice Bubbling Ooze model. Would be fun to fight some of those on a next gen system. I also like that portrait of Vay--your daring use of color is always an inspiration. I think Tao works too. The style is very different from the official art, but she's still easily recognizable. Looks a bit more mature as well, like this could be post-game.

Luke the Birdman
Pretty accurate looking Luke, which is nice because we don't see many birdmen around here. Any plans to color?

RainyDaySunshine
D'AWWWW. Cute Tao is cute. What program do you use for animations, by the way?

---

Got a new pic to share too. Super heavy lines again because I am laaaaaazyyyyyyyyyy.

Actually did the initial sketch months ago, but it was kind of complicated so I kept putting it off.

And finally, I don't usually post non-Shining art here, but I drew a fanart for Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World that just may be the most technically skillful pic I've ever done. It's actually a little depressing because I suspect I will never match this level of artistic sophistication again. It spoils the ending, though, so don't click here unless you don't mind that.
O'Neill

Postby ExevaloN » Mon Jun 14 2010 5:07pm

Man, I need to post more often hehe. Sorry for not posting anything new yet, working on it!

Whiterose: Thanks!

Christine: That is a really awesome fanart you found!

Martin: Thanks! And yeah, I didn't find her face as great as I wanted so I'll be re-working it when I start painting the lineart.

Masquerine: Lots of variety in the pics done. The Grace pic is dynamic. But I like Robby the best because of the pose he is pulling off and the cannon facing at the viewer makes it look like he is about to blow someone into a billion pieces. Its impacting and unique compared to the rest. Great job.

O'Neill: Thanks for the comment! And as always, you make some really nice storytelling pieces. And on that last link, I agree. That is the most technically skillful pic you have ever done. In fact, so skillfull, I hope you never pull off something like that ever again.
ExevaloN

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby O'Neill » Tue Jun 15 2010 8:29am

Masquerine
Thanks for sharing those. I like watching oekaki animations--they really give you a sense of the artist's thought process while drawing. I think I like the Grace pic best.

ExevaloN

I know what you mean. The world can only handle so much beauty before it finally bursts at the seams.

---

And I hacked out another quick sketch even though I probably should have been sleeping instead.

This is why you should never leave Chaz alone with Taya and Karna.

Not sure why I decided to draw Taya the tallest. Just kind of felt like it, I guess.
O'Neill

Postby Cullsoft » Tue Jun 15 2010 8:47am

I need to get round to posting comments (and submissions) - especially given Masquerine PM'd me about the Grace Oekaki.

But that Taya-Chaz-Karna pic (I can't believe that's just a sketch!) made me chuckle so much I had to give it a thumbs up. :) Hopefully I won't have it stuck in my head during my interview this afternoon...
----- Culley's Shop RPG Trading Post & Figurine Emporium -----
- Warrior Pride, Dynamite & other items for sale
- Various figures for trading
- Seeking Grace, Alef and May figurines, also Power Waters, Lucky Cookies and rare goods
Click here for trading rates & more information
----- Culley's Shop RPG Trading Post & Figurine Emporium -----
- Warrior Pride, Dynamite & other items for sale
- Various figures for trading
- Seeking Grace, Alef and May figurines, also Power Waters, Lucky Cookies and rare goods
Click here for trading rates & more information
Cullsoft

Shining Furce
Shining Legend

Postby RainyDaySunshine » Tue Jun 15 2010 10:15am

O'Neill: I used photoshop for that Tao animation, if its nothing advanced photoshop works pretty good for that =)

Love the Chaz picture, very impressed with how you drew his curls. Always had a problem to draw hair like that.
RainyDaySunshine

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby whiterose » Tue Jun 15 2010 6:48pm

Haha... I love that pic of Chaz, Taya and Karna, O'Neill. Gave me a laugh. XD

And, I love the pic of the characters at Desktop Kingdom. lolz... they drew a map on a playing card. XD Kazin kinda looks like he's staring off at something, bored with what the rest might be discussing. :p
whiterose

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby O'Neill » Tue Jun 15 2010 10:16pm

Culley O'Fursdom
Haha, glad you like it. Hope it didn't mess up your interview. XD

RainyDaySunshine
Thanks. The curls were pretty tricky, and that's actually part of the reason I wanted to draw this pic--I figured it'd be good practice.

whiterose
It gave me a laugh just drawing it, so it's nice to hear it got the same reaction from others.

Well, technically they drew it on a another piece of paper, then used the card (sitting on a couple of spools you can't see) as a table, only I was too lazy to draw one corner turned up or smth. XD; And oh balls, I meant for Kazin to be listening to May's comments so he could help them come up with a better strategy for the next attempt. Ah well, some things to keep in mind in future drawings.

---

And I stumbled upon this guy, Moesph, who's got a Shining Force gallery in which he has pics of Geshp and Frayja. That pretty much made my day.

Apologies if this has already been linked. I am preternaturally oblivious.
O'Neill

Postby whiterose » Wed Jun 16 2010 3:21am

@O'Neill: Ah... I see that now, whereas I didn't before. Still amusing. :p

And, hmm... I guess it was just me that saw Kazin that way. Awesome picture, in any case.

I should draw something shining related sometime... haven't done so in a while now. >_>
whiterose

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby ExevaloN » Wed Jun 16 2010 4:21pm

Nice pic of Chaz, Taya and Karna. Very funny though I have no idea why he looks down, he should be up in the clouds haha.

Those Geshp and Darksol fanart pics are great as is the Frayja one. I always wondered exactly what kind of helmet Darksol had on becuase it was just wierd. Well, got more reference now hehe.

Check this fan-art I found about a year ago or so. It is epic:
http://modusprodukt.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d1v8fb9

Comment on the epicness of that piece. In all seriousness, the clothing folds there really made that piece pop. Max's Gauntlet, though looking a bit too complicated compared to the rest of his ensemble, is just great.
ExevaloN

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Masquerine » Wed Jun 16 2010 4:35pm

I'm still getting a feel and figuring out what each of the different things do in the Shi Painter Pro for doing Oekaki to suit the style of drawing that I like to do. I do like how Grace turned out but it is a shame I didn't have animation on for Robby. You could have watched me redo the cannon a couple of times for poor placement :D.

I'm sure at least one of you guessed that I'm using the SF3 PD character viewer to help get a view/position on each character. Maybe I already said I was using it, I don't remember. ^_^ . Anyway, it works for what I'm doing, although you can't view any special attack animations in it. Have to go back and replay some SF3 1/2/3 and find some good special attacks/angles to choose from for future drawings.

If you have any suggestions as to what options I should look into using for the Oekaki, send me a pm or something. I'm generally using watercolor 1 or 2, which lets me go over different colors gradually instead of completely covering a gray with blue in a single stroke.

I'm fairly decent with a pencil on paper too. Way better than my mouse skills.

Frank and Unoma Oekaki!~ As usual, click the M to speed it up.

http://www.celestialdamnation.com/jumes ... 0&recno=53
http://www.celestialdamnation.com/jumes ... 0&recno=54
Masquerine

Postby O'Neill » Fri Jun 18 2010 6:45am

whiterose
Nah, his eyes may be a bit off, is all. Like I said, something to keep in mind for next time.

Can't wait to see something new from you, by the way. | D

ExevaloN
Haha, well, I think possibly he is less than thrilled to have had his hair set in ringlets. I suspect he had to sit still for quite a long time!

They are great, aren't they? I've been wanting to try drawing Geshp and Frayja for the longest time, but I can never seem to make it work.

That fanart looks familiar--has someone posted it before? Either way, it is indeed epic.

Masquerine
Your in-progress comments make me XD. Really like the detail in both their outfits, but I think Unoma wins out overall thanks to the noodly victory pose. The way you draw with a mouse reminds me of an Etch A Sketch somehow.

---

Aaaaaand here, have Rick vs. a harpy:

Not much else to say, really, except that I clearly have no clue how to draw harpies.
O'Neill

Postby whiterose » Fri Jun 18 2010 4:00pm

Creepy Harpy face is creepy. D:

lolz... nice pic, O'Neil. Rick was always kinda cute, haha.

Hm... hopefully I'll attempt something else shining related soon... aside from the work I'm doing for the community game here, that is.
whiterose

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Martin III » Sat Jun 19 2010 1:49am

Masquerine - Nice little drawings... Wish I could find some decent comments to make about them. That program is a nifty idea, but the beauty of it is lost on your truly since I know zilch about drawing. Would be cool if there were a similar program for fiction; I know I'd get a real kick out of seeing Demonic Weasel or Snipes's(just as two examples) works in progress.

O'Neill - Woah, you've just brought in a bunch of stuff! Awesome!

The chessboard piece is another fantastic story-telling illustration. I love May's cross-eyed look; it really gets across that the strategy is so complicated that even she is having trouble keeping what she's saying straight. Excellent Bowie and Kazin, too. I love Kazin's subtle hands-in-robes pose.

On the next one, I'm not so sure that Taya is the tallest there, as we don't know which of them are standing and which are sitting or bending at the knee. In fact, it's hard to say why but I get the vague sense that Chaz is sitting down and Karna is sitting on his lap.

Anyway, I like it. Karna and Chaz's expressions are priceless.

And that is one fierce-looking Rick. Those sweeping lamb chops(or whatever you call em... I'm no hair stylist) just give him an extra dose of nasty. Great work on his clothing, too. Not so sure about the harpy, but at least the face is cool.

EDIT:
Rose - Yes. Hopefully you will. Or I may have to invest in a whip. :snarl:

Martin III

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Next

Return to Shining Fanwork