Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Fanwork
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Ideas for differentiate Rangers from Archers

Use your creativity

Share, discuss or get ideas for your Shining Fanwork here! Anything from fanfic and fanart to homebrew Shining games and midi composition!

Ideas for differentiate Rangers from Archers

Postby DiegoMM » Tue Jun 04 2019 8:43pm

We know in classic shining the classes Archer/Sniper and Ranger/Bow Knight are essentialy the same. The only real difference being the move type (even the move value is the same in some games.) and the visual diference is that rangers are centaurs.

I want the opinion of you guys: What would you do in a Shining style fan game to further differentiate the two classes? changing equipable weapons, magic, skills, stats, promotions, etc.

I want to keep the racial diference (a elf/foot move for archer and centaur/mounted for ranger) but need ideas for everything else.
Last edited by DiegoMM on Wed Jun 05 2019 2:17am, edited 1 time in total.
Speaking...tires me.
Fighting...tires me
I'm tired.
Speaking...tires me.
Fighting...tires me
I'm tired.
DiegoMM

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Re: Ideas for diferentiate Rangers from Archers

Postby Doh042 » Wed Jun 05 2019 1:56am

Well, there's a number of things you can do.

In theory, the Archer > Sniper upgrade path indicates that the archers (Elves) are fighting FROM cover/hiding -- That's what Snipers do. (People confuse the term Marksman and Snipers very often due to videogames. Marksman is your elite long-distance shooters. Snipers are harassers that are closer, and move between every shot so they don't get counter-attacks and the enemy doesn't know where to expect the next shot).

Therefore, if you want to give Snipers a reason to shoot from hiding, you could make it so that their own damage is improved by the land effect of the tile they stand in. A 15 attack vs 5 defense would be ~10 damage, or ~11.5 in 15% zone, and ~13 in 30% zone. They technically ALREADY want to go in hiding because their HP/DEF is low, so that change wouldn't have much impact on the way the players use those units.

For Ranger / Bow Knight, you could assume that hiding is NOT their thing -- they're Centaurs, so they're big, and in theory movement is what they're all about. Therefore, and it may be hard to do in SF, but you could increase their ATK and/or DEF by one or so for each square of distance they covered in the same round.

You could also simply consider that Bow Knight are the "Marksman" unit in your game so that their thing is they are able to ignore enemy's land effect, as they shoot from a better position (They're tall) and / or they're simply more accurate shooters.

Or because they're centaurs, and quite possibly Proud, you could make it so that the lower the Land Effect of the terrain they're in, the more damage they do, emboldened by the fact they're out in the the open. Basically, that would allow the player to tactically decide if shooting from High Defense (at lower damage) is better, or shooting from Low Defense (With higher damage) is better. This is, unlike the Sniper version above, a tactical decision that makes the unit more interesting to use.

I think it's pretty easy to distinguish the two, especially if you draw inspiration from card games like Magic the Gathering and look at the ways they make two units of similar cost manage to play very differently.
... enjoy!

-Doh
... enjoy!

-Doh
Doh042

Return to Shining Fanwork