Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Fanwork
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Translation for Shining Force Gaiden 1

I would like to translate the text if someone does the romhacking

Share, discuss or get ideas for your Shining Fanwork here! Anything from fanfic and fanart to homebrew Shining games and midi composition!

Translation for Shining Force Gaiden 1

Postby liperedfield » Wed Dec 26 2018 9:24pm

Hi, I'm new here and I was wondering if someone would help in doing a translation for the first Shining Force Gaiden for the Game Gear.

I can speak Japanese but I have no romhacking skills. While my Japanese vocabulary is not that great, I am good with grammar and I could easily translate the script with the help of a dictionary. If a romhacker could send me the original Japanese text so I could translate it for him/her to finish the romhacking part, I'd gladly help!

I know the second SF Gaiden got an official translation and the third one got a nice fan translation, but nothing for the first game. I also know it has a translated port on the Sega CD but I'd still like everyone else to be able to play the Game Gear version in English.

If there is anyone who can do the romhacking part and is willing to help, please reply to this thread!
liperedfield

Re: Translation for Shining Force Gaiden 1

Postby Wiz » Mon Dec 31 2018 7:34pm

Hey liperedfield,

A year ago now I was in contact with SFC user "captainn" who had the same goal in mind.
He worked on the technical part with debugging and disassembling tools, but I haven't had any news of him for a year so he might have stopped because of other priorities.
In any case, I think you should try and contact him. Maybe you'll provide the motivation he needs to finish this project ! :)
Wiz

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Alexander_13 » Wed Jan 02 2019 5:15am

try romhacking.net
Alexander_13

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby captainn » Thu Jan 03 2019 5:55pm

I'm still around now and then lol, I have had no time whatsoever to continue working on SFG1 the past year, but I am slowly working my way back to diving back in, hopefully sometime soon, glad to see somebody willing to help with the japanese part, that language is beyond me lol, once I do I will be posting about it :)
captainn

Postby liperedfield » Thu Jan 03 2019 6:04pm

Wiz wrote:In any case, I think you should try and contact him. Maybe you'll provide the motivation he needs to finish this project ! :)

Thanks for the help!

captainn wrote:I'm still around now and then lol, I have had no time whatsoever to continue working on SFG1 the past year, but I am slowly working my way back to diving back in, hopefully sometime soon, glad to see somebody willing to help with the japanese part, that language is beyond me lol, once I do I will be posting about it :)

As I said before, I have no romhacking skills but I could do the translation if you can insert it in the game. I'll keep in touch via PMs.
liperedfield

Postby captainn » Sat Jan 05 2019 3:12am

Just for kicks and giggles what do you think this block of text translates to?

アンリおうに もうしあけます!
たたいま ル-ンたいりくのみなみ
サイフレスこくよりの ししゃか
captainn

Postby alex_man » Sat Jan 05 2019 5:31pm

I will open up a new year!
Tatami Rune Rice soap soup
Is it better than a cybersuper?
alex_man

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby captainn » Sat Jan 05 2019 5:42pm

alex_man wrote:I will open up a new year!

LOL, did you just google translate that?
captainn

Postby alex_man » Sun Jan 06 2019 12:31am

yes :thumbsup:
alex_man

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby captainn » Sun Jan 06 2019 1:41am

alex_man wrote:yes :thumbsup:

Yeah I got the same translation when I tried it before, lol, nowhere near what it's supposed to say
captainn

Postby liperedfield » Sun Jan 06 2019 3:10am

captainn wrote:Just for kicks and giggles what do you think this block of text translates to?

アンリおうに もうしあけます!
たたいま ル-ンたいりくのみなみ
サイフレスこくよりの ししゃか

It seems to be incomplete. Maybe it's a block of text that would scroll and continue after that.
Anyway, it's something like:

"Message for Queen Anri! A messenger from Cypress, in the south of (the continent of) Rune/Lune, has just (...)"

I can't guess the rest of the sentence, since there is no verb to end it (verbs come at the end of the sentence in Japanese).

Also, there are a few problems with the script. It should be もうしあます instead of もうしあます, as well as たいま instead of たいま, and サイレス instead of サイレス. These signs above the letters are crucial to understand the sentences.

captainn wrote:
alex_man wrote:I will open up a new year!

LOL, did you just google translate that?

As I said, since the script is not correct (I could guess from context), it's no wonder why your translations from Google made absolutely no sense. lol
liperedfield

Postby captainn » Sun Jan 06 2019 3:36am

I'm pretty sure those are the characters pulled from the game, I'd have to double check and make sure, it would make sense then if that's why the translations came out funny.

Here's what the actual sentence was translated to in the Sega CD remake, and a couple other translations from other translators

Queen Anri!
Messengers from Cypress
have arrived at our gates!

Henri, as will drill! Spanked now Le - n more South of the front, cifres of the Shaka

I will release you a few more days! I'm going to leave a ball at Saitama Rune on Minami Motoi Saifres
captainn

Postby alex_man » Sun Jan 06 2019 5:09pm

why don't you copy the sfcd script in the game gear version? :confused:
alex_man

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby captainn » Sun Jan 06 2019 6:35pm

alex_man wrote:why don't you copy the sfcd script in the game gear version? :confused:

That's what I was going to do initially, I still want to dump the japanese text and see how well they translated it in the Sega CD ver.

I loaded up the game and checked out the fonts again to see about the proper accents for the japanese characters.

Each character is an 8x8 tile, and has one tile per character, and each tile has it's own hexadecimal digit, for example the japanese character of is $00 $14 which is 8 bits or 1x Byte, each whole tile for each character is 32 Bytes in size I believe, all the tiles are stored at 0x2800C in the ROM.

When you print characters on the screen it goes from left to right like normal, so it would be あけ or like this in hex $00 $0C $00 $14, when viewed in the SRAM or VRAM.

What the game developers did was create some extra tiles with accents at the bottom of the tile, some with just blue all around for in the center of the message window, and some with the golden border at the top for when used near the top of the message window.

So they would place an accent tile above the character tile, so the tiles would actually be 62 Bytes away from each other instead of just left to right like 7C14, and that's why I didn't copy the full character :)

Like this instead:
$00 $7F $00 $7C
$00 $0C $00 $14

Here is a photo showing how it looks, hopefully that all makes sense lol, at the top is the Tile Viewer showing all the individual tiles and what hex digit they are

WARNING: SPOILER!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
captainn

Postby liperedfield » Mon Jan 07 2019 10:22pm

captainn wrote:I loaded up the game and checked out the fonts again to see about the proper accents for the japanese characters.

Wow, that's crazy! I was able to understand your explanation, but man, that will make it a lot harder to extract the texts properly. Do you think it is even possible? :damnit:

alex_man wrote:why don't you copy the sfcd script in the game gear version? :confused:

I was thinking about doing just that to make the translation closer to the original western version of Shining Force CD, but there are some things that need to be redone, like names that were altered (Lug = Luke), and as captainn said, it will be interesting to see how well they translated the Sega CD version. Generally speaking, I could do that in case the texts can not be properly extracted (which would help avoiding confusion), but also for confusing parts in general. :shifty:

Anyway, I do think that, some challenges aside, a full translation for this game is completely feasible. :)
liperedfield

Postby captainn » Tue Jan 08 2019 12:33am

liperedfield wrote:Wow, that's crazy! I was able to understand your explanation, but man, that will make it a lot harder to extract the texts properly. Do you think it is even possible? :damnit:

I was thinking about doing just that to make the translation closer to the original western version of Shining Force CD, but there are some things that need to be redone, like names that were altered (Lug = Luke), and as captainn said, it will be interesting to see how well they translated the Sega CD version. Generally speaking, I could do that in case the texts can not be properly extracted (which would help avoiding confusion), but also for confusing parts in general. :shifty:

Anyway, I do think that, some challenges aside, a full translation for this game is completely feasible. :)

Yeah I'm not sure how they go about getting the proper characters dumped when the fonts are like that.

Luckily I have all the notes and tools that were released when Final Conflict was translated and since the games are built off the same engine it'll make it a whole lot easier than starting from scratch, I just have to figure out how everything works lol, it's just going to take time.
captainn

Postby liperedfield » Tue Jan 08 2019 1:53am

captainn wrote:Yeah I'm not sure how they go about getting the proper characters dumped when the fonts are like that.

Luckily I have all the notes and tools that were released when Final Conflict was translated and since the games are built off the same engine it'll make it a whole lot easier than starting from scratch, I just have to figure out how everything works lol, it's just going to take time.

I see. Take the time you need. All I can really do is provide you with the translations and beta testing the translation, but I hope we can make it eventually.
liperedfield

Postby Alexander_13 » Tue Jan 08 2019 5:08am

good luck :thumbsup:
Alexander_13

Shining Member
Shining Member

Return to Shining Fanwork