Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Fanwork
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

The Engine of Chaos (GameMaker Shining Force Engine)

Beta version for GameMaker Studio

Share, discuss or get ideas for your Shining Fanwork here! Anything from fanfic and fanart to homebrew Shining games and midi composition!

The Engine of Chaos (GameMaker Shining Force Engine)

Postby Chaoswizard98 » Wed Sep 19 2018 3:44pm

Hey all, it's Chaos here.

For those of you who don't know, I've been working on building a Shining style game of my own from the ground up for the past few years. I have finally reached a point in my project where, although there are still a few loose ends yet, the engine itself is basically feature complete. I have also spent the last few months porting the engine over from the old version of GameMaker to the newer GameMaker Studio.

In any case, I feel that the engine is finally complete and stable enough to share with everyone. Now before you go and download it, you should know that the engine itself is still a work in progress. There are a LOT of scripts and objects which is to be expected from a more complicated game such as SF, and as such it's easy to get lost. Especially since I don't have everything fully organized right now.

The other thing you should note is that I don't have any sort of tutorial for the engine just yet. I'll make a few tutorial videos down the line once I have everything organized, but for now, I've included the entirety of Chapter 1 of my game so that anyone who wanted to poke around and try to figure out how everything works can do so.

The download essentially contains my current project file (So you'll need GameMaker Studio to use it), and the 2 font files which you should install BEFORE opening the project for the first time. Otherwise it will try to load a non-existent font and default everything to Arial.

If you have any general questions or anything, let me know. I apologize for the lack of tutorial at this point, but that will be coming eventually. (Though probably not soon)

Anyways, have fun!

Download:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-aI7OU ... sp=sharing

WARNING: SPOILER!

TLDR:
Here's a GameMaker Studio project file for a Shining Force game.
The engine is still in beta, so there may be bugs and organization problems
I don't have any tutorials right now, so you'll have to reverse engineer my Chapter 1 code stuff.
Install the fonts before you use it for the first time.
Creator of the GameMaker Shining Engine and "The Legend of Syro" Fan Game. (WIP)
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=26022
Creator of the GameMaker Shining Engine and "The Legend of Syro" Fan Game. (WIP)
Chaoswizard98

Shining Member
Shining Member

Re: The Engine of Chaos (GameMaker Shining Force Engine)

Postby stefanos2k10 » Thu Sep 20 2018 12:14pm

awesome man keep up the amazing work you have done so far
stefanos2k10

Postby bum_199 » Mon Dec 03 2018 11:43pm

will this work with game maker studio 2? im not sure where to get studio 1 if not. im sure people would like more info on the engine before they decide to try it since game maker is so expensive.
bum_199

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Chaoswizard98 » Tue Dec 04 2018 3:41pm

In short, all versions of GMS1 (Including the free version) were removed from their website a few months back to try and push people to the much more expensive GMS2. :damnit: While I don't own GMS2 yet, I wouldn't be surprised if this project isn't compatible with the newer version just yet due to how much code there is and how much GM changed between versions.

My engine is currently in beta, so unless you have GM already, I'd recommend holding off buying anything until I can get the engine optimized and ported to GMS2.
Chaoswizard98

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby bum_199 » Tue Dec 04 2018 11:08pm

alright hope to hear more soon.
bum_199

Shining Member
Shining Member

Return to Shining Fanwork