Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Fanwork
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Amreen: Instrument of Revolution Prototype Released

(Formerly Project Nekoforce)

Share, discuss or get ideas for your Shining Fanwork here! Anything from fanfic and fanart to homebrew Shining games and midi composition!

Amreen: Instrument of Revolution Prototype Released

Postby Doh042 » Fri Feb 09 2018 8:49am

=====================
Other News 02/18/2018
=====================

Two Let's Play videos are online for people who would rather watch than play the build!
Our own chaoswizard98's: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60OE5wV5U64
From the /r/gamedev subreddit, Ztuu's: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLMgQNZLHjE

======================
Latest Version 02/20/2018
======================

We now have a webpage!

The Windows Version 0.1e, with its quality of life upgrades can be found here: Amreen: Instrument of Revolution

We are in the process of uploading the Linux x64 and x86 versions. They should be available on the website shortly.

- Added a Game Speed Spinner on the Title Screen. This sets a new default value to Time Manipulation (100%, 120% or 160%). You can still use the triggers (or Left/Right CTRL and SHIFT keys) to decelerate / accelerate even further.
- Reduced the amount of wobbling the chat bubbles do, to make them easier on the eyes.
- Fixed the problem with enemies cutting off their chatter whenever they ended their turn quickly. Instead, the line now actually prevents them from handing over the turn to another unit for a second. It's not ideal but I think it's a step up.
- Some tweaks to enemy starting positions and movement speed before their allies get damaged, mostly to reduce the chance a player gets himself in trouble in the very first round.
- Cut all experience gains by half. An even-level kill should still grant 50 xp, but just dealing damage should be a lot lower now.

================
Version History
================

Version 0.1d: Quality of Life upgrade_3 (02/16/2018)
- More tweaks to the chat system!
-The game now allows you to pick if you want chat bubbles to auto advance on Combat Only (Default), Always or Never, allowing the player to fine-tune their experience.
-Some chat bubbles will always auto-advance. For example, every unit's line when their turn comes up, because it interferes too much with the control scheme to have to "confirm" it.
-Counter and Double Attack both have 100% chance to say a line.
-The reaction for a parried attack should now be spread between the defender and attacker quite evenly, which should reduce the chance you get the same parry reaction twice in the same fight.
- Added the team members around Amreen in Kuzumur's intro cutscene. They also now walk to their idle spot once the intro is over. Whoever is talking is also now getting their activation flag, making them bounce to attract your attention.
- Fixed the flickering bug in the hair / transparent part of the portrait that was due to cutting corners. Lesson learned.
- Fixed the fact that very short lines (or very fast text) didn't leave enough time for the mouth to animate. Now you should always get a few sound bleeps and mouth movement even on very fast lines.
- Stat Gain indicator no longer follows the same time manipulation as the chat system. Instead, it only reacts to the real time manipulation like the combat and movement one does.

Version 0.1c: Quality of Life upgrade_2 (02/13/2018)
- Gameplay balance changes:
-Leela now has higher base DEF
-Brace now gives +1 Def and +5% parry chance (instead of +2 Def)
-Urayuran Shooter double attack rate increased
-Urayuran Shooter attack reduced.
-Urayuran Hound Hitpoints reduced.
-Urayuran Hound attack reduced.
- Lots more tweaks to the chat system
-Title Screen allows picking a default Text Speed.
-Holding the Confirm Button no longer skips lines -- you have to hold then release and click again to move forward.
-Holding the Cancel Button still allows skipping lines.
-Both Cancel and Confirm Button can be used to accelerate the Chat Text Speed while held (not as much as Right Trigger does)
-Chat bubbles during combat no longer require button presses.
- Camera no longer allows you to go as close as the borders as before
- Events at the bookshelf, pond and windmill door can now be repeated.
- Walking away from an ally during conversation will now close the chat bubble instantly instead of waiting for it to be over.
- The undocumented "Skip Intro Cinematic" feature (double-click on the Cancel Button during the intro event of the combat or city maps) now also automatically closes the Chat bubble.

Version 0.1b: Quality of Life upgrade1 (02/12/2018)
- You now get bonus XP on enemy kills, still maxed of 50 xp per action.
- You can now fast-forward movement and chat with the triggers.
- Chat bubbles now wait for Confirm/Cancel before going away, letting people time to read them.
- The stat gains on level up now show up letter by letter instead of in a giant block.
- Fixed a bug with the Title Screen not updating its language selector label as you changed languages.
- Updated the music for Defeat and Level up to the latest track.
- Other minor changes.

Version 0.1 : First Prototype Release (02/08/2018)

I posted some videos and images of it in the past, but now everyone can actually download it, and play it! So please do! And please share the word!

For those who haven't read about it before, it's a 2D strategy RPG paying homage mostly to Camelot's Shining Force series. It has a very JRPG look to it, and this is the fruit of probably 400-500 man hours for a 2-man crew for the last 3 months. The build features 1 combat map and 1 city map. There are 5 very different characters in the player's group, fighting against 3 different enemy units. You have access to 4 spells and 3 different items.

We plan to keep updating the prototype a little (mostly bug fixes based on people's feedback, if we get any!), and there's a few things we have left on a wishlist that may or may not make the cut for future release/builds. (Art update, actually having villagers/npcs in the city, etc.)

After that dust settles, we'll start planning the Vertical Slice, which should feature a few hours of gameplay (roughly 4-5 battles, 3 exploration areas, 16 or so player characters with all their spells and a dozen enemy types).

The target deadline for the Vertical Slice is roughly a year from now.
Last edited by Doh042 on Tue Feb 20 2018 7:01am, edited 12 times in total.
... enjoy!

-Doh
... enjoy!

-Doh
Doh042

Re: Amreen: Instrument of Revolution Prototype Released

Postby LordOddEye » Fri Feb 09 2018 4:28pm

Hey Doh042,

I know how hard you have been working on this it seems promising. I'm looking forward to trying this prototype when I get the chance!

Congratulations on your game debut in the fanwork community! :thumbsup:

Regards,

LordOddEye
Creator of the Shining Force Gaiden Final Conflict Remake:

https://forums.shiningforcecentral.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=40095
Creator of the Shining Force Gaiden Final Conflict Remake:

https://forums.shiningforcecentral.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=40095
LordOddEye

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Wulfunruh » Sat Feb 10 2018 6:11am

Booting it now...
Wulfunruh

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Doh042 » Sat Feb 10 2018 6:30am

Wulfunruh wrote:Booting it now...

Looking forward to your feedback~

I'm certainly eager to discuss some topics in-depth with people. There's a lot of things in the prototype right now that are still the very first draft, others have had multiple iterations. But I also felt that it was time to put the demo in people's hands and collect impressions before I paint myself too far into a corner.

====

8 days later and no news! We should send an ambulance, my proto may have killed him!
... enjoy!

-Doh
... enjoy!

-Doh
Doh042

Postby Chaoswizard98 » Mon Feb 19 2018 4:52am

It was quite an enjoyable demo! I also recorded my run as I find test run videos helpful myself. Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/60OE5wV5U64
Creator of the GameMaker Shining Engine and "The Legend of Syro" Fan Game. (WIP)
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=26022
Creator of the GameMaker Shining Engine and "The Legend of Syro" Fan Game. (WIP)
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=26022
Chaoswizard98

Shining Member
Shining Member

Return to Shining Fanwork