Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Fanwork
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Project Gaiden Final Conflict (Fan Game)

New Demo is out Version 1.0.6!

Share, discuss or get ideas for your Shining Fanwork here! Anything from fanfic and fanart to homebrew Shining games and midi composition!

Re: Project Gaiden Final Conflict (Fan Game)

Postby LordOddEye » Fri Jul 14 2017 7:13pm

alex_man wrote:looks nice :thumbsup: so you finish chapter 1 battles? :confused:

Thank you kindly! Yes actually I believe all of chapter 1's battles are all functional! :thumbsup:

Furthermore, every single battle from chapters 1-4 are all playable but not finished like the battles of chapter 1 since the enemies are not designed.

After this is done opening chests in battle will be the next feature.
LordOddEye

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby alex_man » Fri Jul 14 2017 7:57pm

i see looking forward to test it out :thumbsup:
alex_man

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby RedShine » Sat Jul 29 2017 9:10am

LordOddEye, you've probably noticed this, but this thread has resources that could be helpful regarding the spriting duties of your project.

viewtopic.php?f=40&t=20148&start=20
RedShine

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby acsound » Sat Jul 29 2017 1:39pm

The second battle doesn't end when you kill the last enemy (could be v1.04 being the last available demo). Also, LE is all at 15% regardless of terrain.
acsound

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby LordOddEye » Sat Jul 29 2017 3:05pm

Hey Everyone,

RedShine, yes I did but I thank you very kindly for all the help.

Acsound, yes you are correct that is where that demo ended and it was a glitch I had since patched that caused the player to not progress past that battle. It was intended to bring the player to an end of demo screen after that battle. Yes different terrains are not currently implemented in such version but are a future update.

I thank you all for your support and help everyone and expect more updates soon

Regards,

LordOddEye
Creator of the Shining Force Gaiden Final Conflict Remake:

https://forums.shiningforcecentral.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=40095

LordOddEye

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby RedShine » Sun Jul 30 2017 5:10am

This is coming along great (and FC is my favorite Gaiden), but I've recalled a discussion in Tor's project board (his project is also one one I'm really, really excited about) regarding Sega's rabid suited paladins (read: copyright/IP lawyer teams), and seeing there are videos on YT depicting this project, I wonder if a more cautious approach wouldn't be better to safeguard the efforts made thus far.

FC is rather obscure, yes, and that, in a way, helps but seeing how Nintendo cracked down quickly on the Metroid 2 Remake and how they also cracked down on a Pokémon Gen 2 hack that had been in the works for nearly 10 years and forced the team to go underground and pursue decentralized, inefficient ways of working past their dragnet... yeah, wouldn't want to see this happening to the many fan projects budding here.
RedShine

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby LordOddEye » Tue Aug 01 2017 8:31pm

RedShine wrote:This is coming along great (and FC is my favorite Gaiden), but I've recalled a discussion in Tor's project board (his project is also one one I'm really, really excited about) regarding Sega's rabid suited paladins (read: copyright/IP lawyer teams), and seeing there are videos on YT depicting this project, I wonder if a more cautious approach wouldn't be better to safeguard the efforts made thus far.

FC is rather obscure, yes, and that, in a way, helps but seeing how Nintendo cracked down quickly on the Metroid 2 Remake and how they also cracked down on a Pokémon Gen 2 hack that had been in the works for nearly 10 years and forced the team to go underground and pursue decentralized, inefficient ways of working past their dragnet... yeah, wouldn't want to see this happening to the many fan projects budding here.

Hey RedShine,

Yes, that is definitely a valid point and I completely agree with your point. I'm not sure if this helps but the good news is I made my youtube videos unlisted so only people from this SFC Forum post can view them. I did this to hopefully thwart efforts of getting the project taken down.

I'm open for suggestion however, and I'd like to explore the idea that it may be a good idea to take the videos down.

Regards,

LordOddEye

LordOddEye

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby RedShine » Tue Aug 01 2017 10:22pm

Thank you for regarding my suggestion. Honestly, I think it would be safer to only share progress in the form of screenshots, or gifs and only in this area of the forum. I know it may sound paranoid, given that you made a very good move in not making the videos public, but I'm known to be overly careful ^.^''

Regarding the project itself, if I may, I'd like to make a few observations. If they are redundant, please disregard.

- I noticed spacing is a little off. Maybe it is due to how Gamemaker renders text, but paragraphs look a little squished together. It's not bad to the point it is unreadable, but still.

- The art quality varies; I imagine it is preliminary? It seems battle graphics are upscaled and sometimes the pixels get blown (Knuckles) in other cases, it doesn't look bad, but it does look smudgy (Sonette).
Mugshots also look very stretched, like Knuckles' battle render.
On the plus side, the overhead sprites look great, and so do map tiles, good job!

- Is map music going to be ported? I ask because FC seems to use 8-bit renditions of SF2 songs in a few instances.

- Some battle text is a little different from previous games, but I assume that is also preliminary at this point.

Keep up the good work!
RedShine

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby LordOddEye » Wed Aug 02 2017 12:12pm

Hey RedShine,

I think your suggestion is a good one and I'm going to transition towards taking down the videos. I actually don't think you are paranoid without good reason in the past Sega had done a great deal to stop projects like this. So honestly I do believe this to be a necessary step for the success of the project. The text is definitely something that can be fixed and will probably be fixed around the polishing stage of development. :thumbsup:

The battle sprites are something that have been bothering me as well unfortunately, the best option I have at the moment is to scale down the battle sprites from the mobile game which is higher resolution. I have attempted several times to make my own battle sprites unfortunately i'm really bad LOL. T_T

I'd really like to see some nice redone battle sprites but I lack the ability maybe when I get further into the project others would be interesting in assisting with the graphics. Honestly when the game is done changing graphics is extremely easy it is just a matter of merely switching out the asset. Current assets are essentially placeholders and can be disposed of at any moment assuming a superior asset arrives.

Map Music: This honestly depends on the desire of the fans right now I am choosing to use the SF2 versions of the songs and even putting in some SF1 songs I feel fit battles right, such as the Kraken battle I am using the SF1 ship music. FC only seems to have 3 different battle musics. But if people post what they'd prefer I will certainly lean towards the common good. I want people to be happy with this remake since I know how important this game is to them.

The Battle Text is Preliminary and like the text should be fixed near the final stages of polishing the game.

I hope this is informative and I want to let you know your suggestions are very important to me and are so appreciated. Please continue to provide me with your support. :)

Regards,

LordOddEye

LordOddEye

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby RedShine » Wed Aug 02 2017 9:27pm

I'm glad that my opinion was helpful to you ^.^
It's sad that we live in a day and age where companies hound on fans instead of supporting their work (there are only rare edge cases on the contrary, such as the fan translation of Front Mission - the creators themselves came forward and praised the fans for their work).

Regarding graphics, this is my weak point too, sadly. I wanted to make Bowie look better for years without success, but certainly hope someone skilled comes forward to help you out; Tor comes to mind, but I don't know if he'd be able to juggle that and his own project, which is quite spriting heavy also, but if you like I can ask him about it.

As for sound, that's exactly what I figured the right course of action was. Adding SF1 tunes is a great touch, methinks, as well as using SF2's where applicable. It's too bad SFCD is on a different medium, as it has nice music also.

Sorry for the text nitpicks, I do understand everything is in a constant state of flux, so to speak, so please keep up the good work!
RedShine

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Pikaz » Thu Aug 03 2017 3:11pm

great work on this.

Did you use any tutorials to get you started, specifically on the controls for the battle system?
Pikaz

Postby acsound » Fri Aug 04 2017 2:49am

A proof of concept using the Caravan; this would be Ian's prospective SDMN sprite, based on Bowie.

ImageImageImage

UPDATE: I found a gif animating website, so I was able to embed the images so Ian shows up as a 3-part set of animated walk sprites.

The Caravan recolor is loosely drawn on this:
I gave Ian a green headband similar to his in-game SDMN map sprite: Image

I'm sure far better can be done; just a bit of Caravan fun.
acsound

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby RedShine » Fri Aug 04 2017 5:03am

Ian, being Bowie's father (if I remember right) is a very likely candidate to have this sprite work well as a base. Good job acsound!

Edit: That character art is great. I assume it is the look of Ian's Hero class?
RedShine

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby LordOddEye » Fri Aug 04 2017 4:19pm

Hello,

Thanks Pikaz, I did not use any tutorials but I did receive a lot of help from Chaoswizard. Chaoswizard is a really knowledgeable programmer.

Acsound, that's a really nice asset, I'd definitely like to change all my assets to that style if they were all recreated with that style.

I'm especially interested in getting new assets for the battle cutscenes.

RedShine, I'd definitely appreciate that but I absolutely understand, Tor, is a busy individual so only if it was a major inconvenience to him. If I could find the soundtrack for SFCD it's definitely something that can be ported into the project.

As the project progresses I may have to make a sub forum for discussing what music should be used in what battles and scenes.

Thank you everyone for all the help and I look forward into continuing to progress in this project.

Progress was a little slowed due to underlying family issues but the project is back on track.

Regards,

LordOddEye

LordOddEye

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Swalchy » Thu Aug 10 2017 12:45pm

Looking good there, LO :D

Just about to start a Final Conflict playthrough, so looking forward to how far you get on with this :)
The Way To Yahuweh

Salibu: 20/08/10 wrote:You have all been Swalched.

Damn I've been here a long f*cking time...
The Way To Yahuweh

Salibu: 20/08/10 wrote:You have all been Swalched.

Damn I've been here a long f*cking time...
Swalchy

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby LordOddEye » Thu Aug 10 2017 3:09pm

Swalchy wrote:Looking good there, LO :D

Just about to start a Final Conflict playthrough, so looking forward to how far you get on with this :)

Thanks Swalchy!

That's good to hear it really is a good game I enjoyed my playthroughs of it a lot. It's been a while since i've last posted an update but I've done alot of behind the scenes tweaking to make the game more fluid and have been adding lots of content.

I'm looking for a chapter 1 demo release soon.

Regards,

LordOddEye

LordOddEye

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Caedmonball19 » Thu Aug 24 2017 10:20pm

Any updates to share? Looking forward to this project being completed.
Caedmonball19

The Black Sheep
Shining Hero

Postby LordOddEye » Sun Aug 27 2017 2:56am

Hey all,

Sorry about the lack of updates although it may seem that not much has happened I assured you that the project has progressed alot. Much of the source code has been polished making it much easier to progress in the development of the code and allowing for more features. Furthermore it makes the game conduct itself more smoother and prevent some of the common errors of the previous version.

Please check out the new demo release.

Any feedback is appreciated and I thank you all for your ongoing support with the project.

Regards,

LordOddEye

LordOddEye

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby acsound » Sun Aug 27 2017 7:58pm

Having issues opening the file; the above is the error message I get.

Tried downloading the file from the main and mirror links. Didn't have this issue w/the previous demos.

Disk space is not an issue:

I don't think any file can take up 339 GB of storage. :)

Please advise.
acsound

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby LordOddEye » Sun Aug 27 2017 9:30pm

acsound wrote:
WARNING: SPOILER!

Hey Acsound,

Please kindly try this installer version versus the standalone executable.

Let me know if it works.

Regards,

LordOddEye

LordOddEye

Shining Member
Shining Member

PreviousNext

Return to Shining Fanwork