Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Fanwork
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

The Legend of Syro: Official Pre-Alpha Demo!

Share, discuss or get ideas for your Shining Fanwork here! Anything from fanfic and fanart to homebrew Shining games and midi composition!

The Legend of Syro: Official Pre-Alpha Demo!

Postby Chaoswizard98 » Fri Mar 04 2016 4:55pm

Well, the pre-alpha demo for 'The Legend of Syro' is finally complete. As most of you probably already know, I've been working on a standalone Shining style game using gamemaker. Although the main game still has a long way to go yet, I finally have enough of the engine coded to be able to provide you with a standalone pre-alpha demo.

This demo has it's own very lighthearted story, 2 battles, cutscenes, and pretty much everything else that you would expect to be in a shining game. Consider it a 2-3 hour long 'Thank You' game to everyone who has supported me here on SFC.

=========================

You can download the demo here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-F-g- ... sp=sharing

Important note: Gamemaker gives me 0 sound control. That being said, it likes to play sounds at max volume. So as a fair warning, you may want to turn your volume down before you boot it up.

Controls are: Arrow keys, Z and X.
Escape closes the game.
F5 and F6 are save / load state respectively. Note that these are built in GM functions. Although they do work, they can be buggy at times. Mainly regarding sounds / music.

I'm 99% sure I fixed all the bugs this time around. If you do find a bug (like if the game 'freezes') please hit F5 and send me that save file so I can fix the bug. My contact info is in the readme.

==========================

Let me know what you guys think!
I hope you enjoy!
~Chaos
Last edited by Chaoswizard98 on Tue Mar 22 2016 2:35pm, edited 2 times in total.
Creator of the GameMaker Shining Engine and "The Legend of Syro" Fan Game. (WIP)
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=26022
Creator of the GameMaker Shining Engine and "The Legend of Syro" Fan Game. (WIP)
Chaoswizard98

Shining Member
Shining Member

Re: The Legend of Syro: Official Pre-Alpha Demo!

Postby DiegoMM » Fri Mar 04 2016 5:56pm

Ok, ill test it as soon as possible!
:shock: :shock: :shock:

Edit: Just tested it, it looks wonderful. It has the great shining feeling, all runs smooth and didnt notice any bug for now. You did a amazing job.

Ill keep testing to see if i find any unknow bug.
Interesting articles about true things shining: http://www.everystudent.com/
Interesting articles about true things shining: http://www.everystudent.com/
DiegoMM

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Chaoswizard98 » Sat Mar 05 2016 1:59am

DiegoMM wrote:Edit: Just tested it, it looks wonderful. It has the great shining feeling, all runs smooth.You did a amazing job.

Thanks Diego! I appreciate it! :)

DiegoMM wrote:didnt notice any bug for now.

That's usually a good thing lol.
Chaoswizard98

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby bum_199 » Sun Mar 06 2016 4:29pm

Great demo! i just had a chance to sink my teeth into it for a little while a bit ago. i laughed hard and i think people here will really appreciate the 2nd battle. Looks like the keyboard spam is fixed too! It didn't freeze on me even when i tried hitting the keys over and over all at once like before.
bum_199

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby TSS_Ty » Sun Mar 06 2016 4:45pm

Great job! The demo worked perfectly on my very old Windows XP box - no hiccups or bugs that I could see.

The first battle is much kinder than the previous demo's so I can actually beat it now. The cutscenes were great too and the overall product really feels like a Shining game. Looking forward to seeing more updates in the future.
The Shining Source - The home of Shining Force fangames
The Shining Source - The home of Shining Force fangames
TSS_Ty

Postby Chaoswizard98 » Sun Mar 06 2016 6:24pm

Glad to see that you guys are enjoying the demo!

@Ty
Good to know it runs on older machines! Also, this is the first demo that I actually spent time trying to balance, so it's good to know that my balancing efforts weren't in vain. I do feel that this demo should be slightly harder than it is, however that may be due to the fact that I have an unfair advantage as the programmer as well as the experience since I had to play through the entire game way too many times lol!

@Bum
Heh, the good ol' second battle. That's what happens when a wing-nut gets a crazy idea lol! Glad to hear that you laughed at the demo's light heartedness! Also it's good to hear that that bug is fixed. It was a floating point issue that I overlooked at the time. There were several other places that could have potentially caused the bug as well, so as a safety precaution, I coded around those just in case.

As always, I appreciate the support!
Chaoswizard98

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby syanpse » Sun Mar 06 2016 7:46pm

Long time Shining Force fan, first time poster here.

Tried the demo on a Windows 10 machine. Seems to work perfectly as far as I can tell.

I like your sense of humor, and I like the second battle (especially with the high-level spells available). I didn't think it was too difficult or too easy, but somewhere nicely in-between. It does 'feel' like a shining force game, which is great. Looking forward to more!
syanpse

Postby Tyadran » Tue Mar 08 2016 7:39pm

I completely forgot this existed until I started relearning Game Maker a couple of days ago. :O
Definitely trying this demo out after classes today.
Tyadran - Modding Sega Genesis games since 2013.
Check me out on YouTube.
Check me out on YouTube.
Tyadran

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby macadoum » Wed Mar 09 2016 1:56am

Amazing ! And it's run perfectly.
I tried the second battle for 5 times. Sadly, i'm too bad for being victorious but i like it.
One thing : when the battle restart, it seems that the turn order is just continuing and not restarting. So each time you loose, each start is different (see attachement even if it's not very useful). Perturbing. This is maybe the only bug i found.

And also, surprisingly, after a battle restart, Dark fog seems to block attacks 2 time more than before. Just an impression.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
macadoum

Postby Chaoswizard98 » Wed Mar 09 2016 2:53am

syanpse wrote:Tried the demo on a Windows 10 machine. Seems to work perfectly as far as I can tell.

I like your sense of humor, and I like the second battle (especially with the high-level spells available). I didn't think it was too difficult or too easy, but somewhere nicely in-between. It does 'feel' like a shining force game, which is great. Looking forward to more!

Sweet! So far I have confirmation that it works on windows 98, xp, 7, 8, and 10.
Glad to know that the game was balanced well and that you enjoyed the humor! The main game series as a whole will have an interesting mix of humor, seriousness, some very emotional moments, and some very dark moments.

Tyadran wrote:I completely forgot this existed until I started relearning Game Maker a couple of days ago. :O
Definitely trying this demo out after classes today.

Be sure to let me know what you think!

macadoum wrote:Amazing ! And it's run perfectly.
I tried the second battle for 5 times. Sadly, i'm too bad for being victorious but i like it.
One thing : when the battle restart, it seems that the turn order is just continuing and not restarting. So each time you loose, each start is different (see attachement even if it's not very useful). Perturbing. This is maybe the only bug i found.

And also, surprisingly, after a battle restart, Dark fog seems to block attacks 2 time more than before. Just an impression.

6th time's the charm!

Regarding turn order, it is working as intended. The way it works is at the start of the battle (or at the end of a turn), every character's agility stat is multiplied by a random number (from .5 to 1.5) which gives an initiative score. Those numbers are sorted from highest to lowest and that gives you the turn order. At the end of the turn order, the 'figure out turn order' function is called again which generates new random values for everyone which causes a different turn order. The numbers generated for the multiplier are completely random so that would explain the difference in turn order. This is the same for SF games.

'Blocking' is also determined by a random number generator. Criticals, Blocks, Counters, and Doubles, all have a 1/16 chance of happening. I do agree though that blocks seem to happen much more frequent than they should, though it could just be more noticeable due to how many times you attack per battle.

As always, I appreciate the support guys! Glad to know that you guys are having fun!
Chaoswizard98

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Shining Hopeful » Wed Mar 09 2016 4:59pm

Oh, I like the idea of random turn order, that keep you guessing without taking matters 'out of your hands' in terms of choices in battle. You just don't know who you can use next.

I've done the first battle and got through it. Everything feels very "Shining", well done.

I also liked the jokes about recognisable people here. There are some typos but nothing in the demo doesn't work the right way. I'll post again when I have a go at the second battle.
Shining Hopeful

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Chaoswizard98 » Thu Mar 10 2016 2:06am

Shining Hopeful wrote:Oh, I like the idea of random turn order, that keep you guessing without taking matters 'out of your hands' in terms of choices in battle. You just don't know who you can use next.

I've done the first battle and got through it. Everything feels very "Shining", well done.

I also liked the jokes about recognisable people here. There are some typos but nothing in the demo doesn't work the right way. I'll post again when I have a go at the second battle.

Turn order is Semi-Random based on agility. Just like it is in the other Shining force games. It's just more noticeable in my game because of how similar all the agility values are. And yes, I agree, it keeps you on your toes!

Yeah I'm aware of the typos. GameMaker doesn't have a 'Spell Check' feature and I didn't bother proofreading the script lol. I was actually planning on fixing that this weekend after I finish the paperwork for this project. (I have to write the design documents for this project to use it as my senior capstone project lol).

Glad to know you're enjoying the game so far!

Edit: I updated the download link with the corrected spelling and grammar errors.
Chaoswizard98

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Tyadran » Sun Mar 13 2016 6:14pm

Hmm. Well, I would love to try this out, but I couldn't get it to run. I've had the same issue with my old Game Maker games from high school, and I still can't figure it out after a few hours of searching.

Really a shame. :(
Check me out on YouTube.
Check me out on YouTube.
Tyadran

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Chaoswizard98 » Sun Mar 13 2016 7:01pm

What errors is it giving? Are you using a Windows machine? Did you take the .exe out of the zip folder?

Edit: If I remember correctly, you may need DirectX (9 or later) to run the game as well.
Chaoswizard98

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Tyadran » Sun Mar 13 2016 7:08pm

Window 8, and of course I decompressed it. I'm also 99% sure I have DirectX. I've only started having issues since I had to replace my hard drive, and I'm not really sure what's wrong. I might give it another shot soonish, but I'm not optimistic. Like I said, I spent at least two hours trying to find some way to get it to work, haha.

EDIT: Also, forgot to specify that there's no error, it just doesn't do anything when I try to launch it.
Last edited by Tyadran on Sun Mar 13 2016 7:10pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check me out on YouTube.
Check me out on YouTube.
Tyadran

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Chaoswizard98 » Sun Mar 13 2016 7:10pm

If you want, you can Skype and screenshare. My Skype name is the same as my username here on SFC.
Chaoswizard98

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Tyadran » Sun Mar 13 2016 7:11pm

I'll see if I have time in a bit. Not quite now, working on a lot of homework.
Check me out on YouTube.
Check me out on YouTube.
Tyadran

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Chaoswizard98 » Sun Mar 13 2016 7:13pm

We'll solve this issue one way or another lol.

Edit: You mentioned that nothing happens. That doesn't sound like a gamemaker issue at all. Sounds to me like you have the "windows 8 won't run downloaded .exe files" issue.
Chaoswizard98

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Tyadran » Sun Mar 13 2016 8:34pm

Chaoswizard98 wrote:Edit: You mentioned that nothing happens. That doesn't sound like a gamemaker issue at all. Sounds to me like you have the "windows 8 won't run downloaded .exe files" issue.

Mmm I'm not so sure of that. My old GM projects are from my flash drive. I've only had this issue with Game Maker, compressed RPG Maker files, and my Visual Basic programs.

All my downloaded .exe files work fine.

EDIT: And the RPG Maker files, for one, all came from this machine. Had the issue a day or two ago when I was releasing an old game I made.
Check me out on YouTube.
Check me out on YouTube.
Tyadran

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby TehCupcakes » Sat Apr 02 2016 5:02am

Hate to break it to you, but I ran into a bug. Not sure how I managed this exactly...

This happened either right after selecting "attack", before choosing an enemy to attack. No other menus come up, and I cannot cancel out. It's just stuck with the blinking spaces.
TehCupcakes

Next

Return to Shining Fanwork