Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums All Things Shining
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Shining Force 4: Hypothetical Ideas

If your topic relates to more than one Shining game, post it here!

Shining Force 4: Hypothetical Ideas

Postby DomingoRules! » Wed Nov 21 2018 8:12am

Playing a bit of Shining Force 2 got me thinking about if Shining Force 4 did happen, and was done right (totally regardless of the unlikelihood), what would I want out of it? What sorts of things would I like to see from the game, and whatnot? So I decided to throw together a list of some topics, mechanics, etcetera that I'd love to see in a hypothetical Shining Force 4. This list is in no way based on realistic expectations assuming such a game were to ever actually exist. Merely thoughts on basically a hypothetical game, listed in no particular order.

Open World: I don't mean this in the traditional sense that modern games use it, as personally I hate open world games. However, despite having a greater sense of exploration and freedom than most SRPGs, I feel like Shining Force 2 was the only one to really do it right by not confining the game into chapters. I'd love Shining Force 4 to take the second game's route, and have a world that can be fully backtracked as you progress, perhaps even with some secrets like the remaining Creed characters that can only be accessed by returning to previous areas later in the game.

Branching Promotions: Another thing I'd love to see return from SF 2 is branching promotions. Not just for some characters this time either, but for everybody. This could again be done through hidden items (perhaps even having some required for a few particularly exceptional classes being found later and thus requiring a late promotion like the Pegasus Wing), or give the player the choice akin to Vandal Hearts with the branches being a bit more balanced to encourage either path being a strong choice.

Selectable Special Attacks: Bringing back the special attacks from Shining Force 3, I'd like to see them as an option the player can choose actively, perhaps costing MP or some other resource. In addition to that on the topic of special attacks, if leveling up weapons also improves efficiency with said weapons, as well as increased magic attack power, I'd like to see those advantages applied to enemies as well. Seriously, one of the weakest aspects of SF3 I felt was how enemy spells were stupidly weak compared to the player's, not to mention a lack of special criticals coming from them made a lot of adversaries feel like inexperienced novices compared to the skill the Shining Force wielded in combat, which didn't really fit when they were supposed to be just as hardened of warriors as your party.

Lucifer as the Boss: We've had Darksol and Zeon, but then the Saturn games went in a different direction with a new story, and that was that. Even if a new game were to continue from where Shining Force 3 left off, I believe we could use a game where Lucifer is the final boss because we already know he exists, so it would be nice to get some sort of closure on who he is, and what motives he may have compared to his peers.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head right now. Feel free to share any thoughts regarding these ideas, or your own, down below.
Xbox 360 Gamertag: Mr GURVMLK
PSN Account: Mr_GURVMLK
Nintendo ID: Mr_GURVMLK
3DS Friend Code: 1246-8952-3737
Xbox 360 Gamertag: Mr GURVMLK
PSN Account: Mr_GURVMLK
Nintendo ID: Mr_GURVMLK
3DS Friend Code: 1246-8952-3737
DomingoRules!

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Re: Shining Force 4: Hypothetical Ideas

Postby chevkraken » Thu Nov 22 2018 4:45pm

for me, I would like a game making tie for sure about Original Canon and Tony Shining Canon. (a sequel to Shining force 3 and Shining Blade or a Prequel telling the first fighting between between the anciant and Dark Dragon and his fellows)

For the gameplay, I would like Shining Ark gameplay but with 12 playable character on battlefield, the need to resurect character to church, and most of the idea wanted by DomingoRules (Promotion, Openworld exploration)
chevkraken

Shining Member
Shining Member

Return to All Things Shining