Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums All Things Shining
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Shining & Fire Emblem

Similarities

If your topic relates to more than one Shining game, post it here!

Shining & Fire Emblem

Postby DiegoMM » Mon Feb 12 2018 12:57pm

Ok, I never played any fire emblem games, but watching some videos I saw pegasus knights and some story about a dark dragon.

So, for you guys that are fire emblem players, what are the similarities between the 2 series? What aspects shining games "borrowed" from fire emblem?
I learned english playing Shining Force 2!
I learned english playing Shining Force 2!
DiegoMM

Shining Member
Shining Member

Re: Shining & Fire Emblem

Postby Doh042 » Mon Feb 12 2018 2:33pm

Both draw inspiration from the same kind of European fairy tales / fantasy settings (although Fire Emblem is closer to the original material. Their Pegasus knights are usually people riding Pegasi)

Allegedly, when Shining Force was created, the game designer didn't like the Fire Emblems that already were out, and stated not drawing inspiration from them. How much of that is true, I don't know.

However, the games are only similar at a very superficial level. Permadeath in FE, and SF has very cheap resurrection and the main character death only incurs some gold loss - there is no game over screen!

SF's Iniative order being so random reminds me of tabletop roleplaying, where the d20 initiative roll meant you very rarely could predict when your turn would come up. This creates a very swingy system, where you will sometimes get two rounds back to back, or the enemy will. It technically evens out, but the brain does like to latch to those cases where it feels cheated and ignore when things went good for your side.

Talking with FireEmblem fans, most of SF's design calls are Satan. They want predictable outcome. Visible turn order. The ability to see how far enemies can move so you can stay out of reach. A clear class-based rock-paper-sciscors core mechanic so you always know who to use to defeat the enemy. This is because the game wants you to equip you to be able solve its puzzles, and letting a unit die usually means it's gone permanently.

At the end of the day, Shining Force's game design is that of an RPG that wanted more big-scale battles and mobility/range to matter. Fire Emblem is more of a Strategy game where you have a great story and characters.

There is overlap, but I find that it's easier to be a SF fan and migrate to play FE than it is to ask an FE fan to play SF.
... enjoy!

-Doh
... enjoy!

-Doh
Doh042

Return to All Things Shining