Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums All Things Shining
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Camelot wishes to make Shining Force 4

If your topic relates to more than one Shining game, post it here!

Re: Camelot wishes to make Shining Force 4

Postby chevkraken » Thu Aug 30 2018 3:29pm

Actually, there is another reason to hate the Fobidden series, the major reason of Shining the Holy Ark failed is because The Forbidden Series 7 was released just the week after in japan. And actually, it's this title who killed the licence in japan and even killed the Saturn by boosting PSX sales.
Without this, the Saturn would have continued more years with Virtua Fighter 3, Sonic Adventure and Shenmue on it proving its 3D capacity, the Dreamcast would have be released 2 years later and more powerful, And Sega could mabe still working in Hardware
chevkraken

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Nano » Sun Dec 02 2018 1:23pm

I am very happy to hear someone interested in making a new Shining Force. Kickstarter would be a good tool if they can't be sure about potential market.

Just hope it's a good fun SRPG. Shining Force first got my attention because it was a fast, fun strategy game. Not an angst crap fest where everyone has 20 belt buckles and a personality from space.
Nano

Postby Tarethen » Tue Dec 04 2018 4:05am

A SF4 isn't coming... Camelot is too busy making Mario sports titles.
Tarethen

jRPG Newsman
Shining Legend

Postby DomingoRules! » Tue Jan 01 2019 7:50am

Tarethen wrote:A SF4 isn't coming... Camelot is too busy making Mario sports titles.

Nothing wrong with that if you ask me, so long as the Switch gets a new Mario Chargers title.
Xbox 360 Gamertag: Mr GURVMLK
PSN Account: Mr_GURVMLK
Nintendo ID: Mr_GURVMLK
3DS Friend Code: 1246-8952-3737
DomingoRules!

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Kalkano » Tue Jan 01 2019 6:57pm

DomingoRules! wrote:
Tarethen wrote:A SF4 isn't coming... Camelot is too busy making Mario sports titles.

Nothing wrong with that if you ask me, so long as the Switch gets a new Mario Chargers title.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Currently Playing for the First Time: Fire Emblem: Three Houses (Black Eagles Route)

Shining Force 3: Chronology (YouTube Series Here)

"Honesty has a beautiful and refreshing simplicity about it. No hidden meanings. No hidden agendas. As honesty and integrity characterize our lives there will be no need to manipulate others."
Currently Playing for the First Time: Fire Emblem: Three Houses (Black Eagles Route)

"Honesty has a beautiful and refreshing simplicity about it. No hidden meanings. No hidden agendas. As honesty and integrity characterize our lives there will be no need to manipulate others."
Kalkano

Shining Commander
Shining Hero

Postby thepeaguy » Fri Jan 04 2019 5:20am

I honestly think the Takahashi Bros have lost interest in jrpgs a long time ago and have put their company on a different trajectory to stay firmly in the black now.
thepeaguy

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Kalkano » Tue Jan 29 2019 6:57pm

thepeaguy wrote:I honestly think the Takahashi Bros have lost interest in jrpgs a long time ago and have put their company on a different trajectory to stay firmly in the black now.

You're probably right, as sad as the situation is.

Kalkano

Shining Commander
Shining Hero

Postby thepeaguy » Mon Feb 25 2019 4:24am

A lot of the former Shining team are now old and have moved on. A SFIV would have been most likely 15 years ago if Sega did the right thing and patched things up with Camelot.
thepeaguy

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Sega91 » Sat Apr 20 2019 2:59pm

thepeaguy wrote:I honestly think the Takahashi Bros have lost interest in jrpgs a long time ago and have put their company on a different trajectory to stay firmly in the black now.

It's funny when they first used to make Mario sports titles there was a strong jrpg feel to them. Mario Golf especially has that feel. Now not so much.

I think you're right about the lack of experience nlw telling You saw that with the drop if quality between Golden Sun 2 and Dark Dawn.

Sega really let internal politics destroy them.
Sega91

Postby Trovador » Tue Apr 30 2019 11:01pm

To be honest, after all these years, I don't think I would like to see a Shining Froce 4 by Camelot

If this could happen they would have four paths they could follow:
  1. To continue the SF1 & 2 saga about the Three Demon Kings. Lucifer would be the final boss.
  2. To continue the StHA & SF3 about the vandals and continue Galm's story.
  3. To make a reboot of the series with a brand new story.
  4. To make a remake of one of games (same way it happened with Wonder Boy)

For 1 and 2, after all these years, I don't think anyone could track down the story of those games and make something really good. And they would have another hard job: to please old fans and atract a new generation of people who never heard the name Shining Force before.

And the old fans would complain about every bit mistake, because this is what fans usually do. :blush:

In this case, Shining Force 4 would be like Star Wars 1, 2 and 3.

They are good films. They are not great films, but they are far from being real bad ones. However it was universally panned because they did not match the expectations the fans created.

For 3 and 4: SEGA isn't giving a f*ck (sorry for the curse, I learned this phrase from movies and I don't know any synonym :damnit: :biggrin: ). They seems to be happy with Tony Taka. Why would they make a remake of an old game that no one knows about?

And, for the matter of fact, Wonder Boy remake wasn't even made by the creators, but by French devs who loved the franchise.

I confess I rather see Camelot releasing a new Golden Sun than a new Shining Force.
@trovadordasgerais (Instagram)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArCwUmnfrpE
Trovador

The Shining Troubadour
Shining Member

Postby Kalkano » Wed May 01 2019 5:30pm

Trovador wrote:I confess I rather see Camelot releasing a new Golden Sun than a new Shining Force.

I'd like both, but would rather have a new Shining Force. But, wouldn't Golden Sun face the same exact challenges that you listed for Shining Force, at this point?

Kalkano

Shining Commander
Shining Hero

Postby Trovador » Fri May 03 2019 12:10am

Kalkano wrote:But, wouldn't Golden Sun face the same exact challenges that you listed for Shining Force, at this point?

I don't think so:

1st. Let's supose they start develop the game today:
Time gap between SF3 and today is 21 yrs (suposing they would make a sequel to Galm story)
Between SF2 is 25 yrs (suposing they would make a sequel to the Three Demon Kings)

The time game between GS: Dark Dawn and today is 9 to 10 years. I know it's a heck of time, but in comparison to SF2 and 3 it's still "freshier". It is more possible that they lost the original sketches for a SF3 sequel than for a GS3 sequel.

2nd. Let's say they develop a Shining Force 4 for handheld or mobile.

I don't know about you or anyone here, but I would be very desappointed.

Golden Sun, on the other hand, was always a handheld game. If they develop a new game for handheld it wouldn't be disappointing.

3rd. I might be wrong, but I don't know if Golden Sun has any cult following.

4th. As I said before: if they want to make a whole new remake or reboot to SF they would still need to deal with SEGA, and SEGA seems to be happy with Tony Taka. The series are in his hand since 2004. I don't think there is real Tony Taka's Shining fans outside, but I think there is some in Japan. If there were none, SEGA would have kicked his ass long time ago.

They don't need to deal with SEGA for another GS.

I just think the risks to develop a GS4 are fewer.

EDIT:
If Camelot were willing to take risks, they wouldn't be stucked on Mario Sports. :shifty:
Trovador

The Shining Troubadour
Shining Member

Postby tfhb02 » Fri Jun 14 2019 4:23pm

Golden Sun has a massive cult following (just check the numbers who wanted Isaac as a playable character in SSBU rather than an assist trophy).

Golden Sun 1 and 2 are probably the games that were the closest to the classic Shining games in any case - especially SiTD and SiTHA gameplay wise, and SF3 in terms of looks/feel. But even they are really old games now, released only a few years after SF3 itself. A sequel to *that* would be the best hope for some kind of classic Camelot RPG, though Golden Sun 3 wasn't a great game.

Truthfully, the only hope for a Shining Force 4 in all but name would be a Golden Suns Tactics, an SRPG set in the Golden Sun universe. This seems pretty much impossible but stranger things have happened, maybe if the new Fire Emblem on Switch is popular there might be some appetite for this.
tfhb02

Postby DomingoRules! » Fri Jun 14 2019 5:57pm

I've never played Golden Sun, but bringing up the topic of comparing it to the Shining series, I wonder if it's more of a Shining game than Beyond the Beyond? A Camelot JRPG for the PS1 (and I believe the very first one localized outside Japan) that also has a very Shining feel to it. Complete with class promotions, spell levels, and even some of the battle sprites straight-up being enhanced duplicates from Shining Force 2.
DomingoRules!

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Alexander_13 » Tue Jun 18 2019 5:21am

no news at the E3 :(
Alexander_13

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby thepeaguy » Wed Jul 17 2019 1:38am

I think the Takahashi Bros have had a lot of financial and health issues when they helmed their creation: the Shining series.

If they somehow managed to return to produce a new Shining game, I'd be very cautious if I were either of them, man.

I can see why they stick to making golf games - they're more of a chilled kind of gaming project.
thepeaguy

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Red_Shine » Wed Jul 17 2019 9:55pm

There are means today to release quality games in a more vintage style, but I fear Sega would have a problematic stance regarding the Shining Force name, though I hope I'm wrong.

It breaks my heart when I see the Shining name employed in games that are little more than waifu simulator hack and slash games; there's the Fate series for that already.
Red_Shine

Postby Cybel » Fri Aug 02 2019 11:36am

Seems like Fire Emblem has been well-received and there's early hints that sales are going to be good - I'd be surprised, in many ways, if they weren't very strong. I think this could give us a route to Shining Force IV.

I would guess Camelot are currently be working on Mario Golf. I mean, I'd love it if they left Golf Story as the main Switch golf game -- it deserves the prestige -- but in all likelihood, Camelot have switched between Mario Tennis and Mario Golf for two decades, the Switch doesn't have a Mario Golf and it'll be a surefire seller for 2020. However, after that, the Switch will have both types of game and we're unlikely to have a new generation until late 2022 at the very earliest. What do they do for their third Switch title?

Well, the Takahashi brothers expressed that interested in doing a Shining Force IV, Sega are newly interested in mining old IP, the NuShining series having petered out to ports in Japan and if FE shows that strategy RPGs can be successful... why would Sega not try a "back to basics" approach for one of their vintage IPs? Shining Force IV wouldn't have to rely on any previous narrative but would benefit from the name and the prestige of Camelot. I think it would be a reliable success.

It's still probably not the most likely outcome. I guess is that Nintendo could probably make Camelot a better offer financially doing Mario Sluggers or Strikers and they have some experience working with those game systems on 3DS.

Still, I think this is as close as we've come to a SFIV in two decades and if they're thinking about Shining Force IV at all, it'll be now, before work wraps on their current game and before they start their next. I know fan campaigns have backfired badly before but we live in different times and I wonder if now is the time to start trying to make some noise to Sega in support of a SFIV?
Cybel

Postby DomingoRules! » Sun Aug 04 2019 3:45am

If it were to happen, my one wish for the game is that it's called Shining Force 4. I really hate when games exclude the proper number just because it's been a long time since the previous entry, so much so that I was more excited about Streets of Rage 4 having that number in the title than I was about the announcement itself.
DomingoRules!

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby thepeaguy » Sat Aug 10 2019 11:42pm

If there was a kickstarter for Golden Sun and Shining Force, I'll back it in a heartbeat.

I've been thinking that I'm guilty of gatekeeping recently. I've been loyal to the Shining creators and never gave the new games a chance. I dunno if I'm being elitist or what, but Sega treated Camelot like crap, and I don't want to buy their new games as it feels like betrayal if I do.
thepeaguy

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

PreviousNext

Return to All Things Shining