Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums All Things Shining
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Camelot wishes to make Shining Force 4

If your topic relates to more than one Shining game, post it here!

Re: Camelot wishes to make Shining Force 4

Postby Marky » Fri Jun 22 2018 2:18pm

One thing, does Sega have the rights to the name, Shining Force" , and will Camelot be able to use the name "Shining Force" as a name for a future title?
Marky

Attending Physician
Shining Legend

Postby Ansa » Fri Jun 22 2018 3:50pm

Marky wrote:One thing, does Sega have the rights to the name, Shining Force" , and will Camelot be able to use the name "Shining Force" as a name for a future title?

Sega clearly has the rights. They've released several titles under the force name since they stopped working with Camelot. Shining Force Neo, Exa, Feather. Camelot would not be able to use it without some form of approval from Sega.
I have a youtube channel now that focuses on vlogs about things going on in the gaming industry!

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheNovelMike
I have a youtube channel now that focuses on vlogs about things going on in the gaming industry!

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheNovelMike
Ansa

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby thepeaguy » Sat Jun 23 2018 2:21am

The waters become murkier when people speak of remaking the Sega Saturn games. Camelot owns a significant portion of the rights to those games, which is why Sega deliberately overlook them and concentrated on bringing in new products from various developers.

Making a jrpg is also too much of a financial risk for Camelot now. I don't blame them for putting their focus on sports titles - even if they received mixed reviews for them. It's easy money.
thepeaguy

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Marky » Sun Jun 24 2018 7:24am

You think a JRPG will be a financial risk?
I can it as a potential financial liability but it could be an investment and opportunity for Camelot to create a new RPG (even if it isn't a shining game).

I wonder if some of what was mentioned in this forum was the reason Camelot didn't make another Shining Game.
Marky

Attending Physician
Shining Legend

Postby chevkraken » Tue Jul 03 2018 5:31pm

thepeaguy wrote:The waters become murkier when people speak of remaking the Sega Saturn games. Camelot owns a significant portion of the rights to those games, which is why Sega deliberately overlook them and concentrated on bringing in new products from various developers.

Making a jrpg is also too much of a financial risk for Camelot now. I don't blame them for putting their focus on sports titles - even if they received mixed reviews for them. It's easy money.

No, Camelot, don't owns anything about Shining Forces, Sega have rereleased every megadrive and gamegear game from the franchise.

the only reason why the Saturn episode have not be rereleased is because Saturn games are hard to port for another system and actually, Shining force 3 is the most unpopular of the Shining force in japan (where is the core of the franchise).

I wonder if some of what was mentioned in this forum was the reason Camelot didn't make another Shining Game.

It's the money... Sega pay every game devellopper working for them the same amount of money, Camelot staff
disagreed with that, they wanted more money for their work as Shining Force sale enough to become a franchise. Sega said no, cumulated to the fact sege refused to help them with their problem with the devllopment of SF3, Camelot, choose to leave Sega to work with an editor know to serpervise their develloper (but leaving them with very few liberty), Nintendo
chevkraken

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby alex_man » Tue Jul 03 2018 11:49pm

i hope so :thumbsup:
alex_man

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Alexander_13 » Tue Jul 03 2018 11:49pm

good news :)
Alexander_13

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby chevkraken » Wed Jul 04 2018 2:45am

there is also a bad news however, Sega have lost most of the source code from their Saturn games(the code of Every Panzer Dragoon game are lost by exemple), so except if Camelot still have the source code of Shining the Holy Ark and Force 3 a port will be very difficult to do because it will be needed to recreate the games from the start
chevkraken

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby DomingoRules! » Wed Jul 04 2018 4:18am

Forgive my computer incompetence, but why wouldn't the code just be able to be ripped from another source, such as a game disc or similar? Shouldn't it be in there somewhere to be accessed through some means?
Xbox 360 Gamertag: Mr GURVMLK
PSN Account: Mr_GURVMLK
Nintendo ID: Mr_GURVMLK
3DS Friend Code: 1246-8952-3737
DomingoRules!

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Kalkano » Wed Jul 04 2018 5:11am

The software on the disc is in binary (0's and 1's). Source code is actually human-readable, and editable.
Currently Playing for the first time: Dragon Quest 11 (PC, with Orchestral Soundtrack Mod)

Shining Force 3: Chronology (YouTube Series Here)

"Honesty has a beautiful and refreshing simplicity about it. No hidden meanings. No hidden agendas. As honesty and integrity characterize our lives there will be no need to manipulate others."
Currently Playing for the first time: Dragon Quest 11 (PC, with Orchestral Soundtrack Mod)

Shining Force 3: Chronology (YouTube Series Here)

"Honesty has a beautiful and refreshing simplicity about it. No hidden meanings. No hidden agendas. As honesty and integrity characterize our lives there will be no need to manipulate others."
Kalkano

Shining Commander
Shining Hero

Postby thepeaguy » Thu Aug 23 2018 4:06am

chevkraken,

Over the years I've been reading content from this community, you have had a hard on over Camelot's supposed greed and other business malpractices for lord knows how long. I find it odd, to be honest.

I said that they likely hold some ownership over the Sega Saturn games when they became an independent developer back in the mid-nineties. I did not say they have some ownership over their entire backlog. Ergo, I don't believe that you're more informed than I am on this matter.

SFIII is the least popular in sales because, surprise, surprise, limited copies were made while Sega were busy making the transition to their new gaming platform: the Dreamcast. This has been documented in one of Camelot's interviews with Western gaming journalists. Regardless, it received accolades from various gaming reviews. It's a similar scenario to the Blade Runner film; it received positive feedback from critics, but it became a box office disappointment.
thepeaguy

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby chevkraken » Sat Aug 25 2018 12:38am

the reason behind the lack of sales of Shining force 3 in japan dues to limited copies is not credible when Sakura wars released after Shining Force 3 scenario 2 made more than 500000 sales.

Shining the Holy Ark already made poor sales on the system with only 96000 sales (while Grandia made 360000 sales on the same system nearly the same week) and at it's times there was no transition for the Saturn.

Shining on Saturn was just not popular (except Shining Wisdom who was still on the top 10 on his week 5), japanese public of the Saturn just didn't like the more serious and less anime style of Shining the Holy Ark and Force 3
chevkraken

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Borg1982 » Tue Aug 28 2018 7:50am

I havent posted in a decade or more but I remember in the mid 2000's Moogie blocked the words S*ny & The Forbidden Series (FF) from ever being spoken in this entire Forum. Does anyone remember the animosity that our beloved website runner had for S*ny -- the reason why? Was S*ny getting into the games industry a big reason why we havent had a shining force game since 1998? (a real one)
Borg1982

Postby DomingoRules! » Tue Aug 28 2018 6:11pm

Don't know about that, but I do know that one of the earliest JRPGs (in fact, I think it actually was the very first) to be released on the PS1 was Beyond the Beyond, a title by Camelot that has a very distinct Shining feel to it. As in I'm 100% certain it would've been a Shining game had it released on a Sega console instead.
DomingoRules!

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Borg1982 » Tue Aug 28 2018 7:34pm

Did S*ny kill Sega back then , leading to real SF dying?
Borg1982

Postby Tarethen » Wed Aug 29 2018 1:54am

Borg1982 wrote:Did S*ny kill Sega back then , leading to real SF dying?

No.

Sega killed Sega.
Tarethen

jRPG Newsman
Shining Legend

Postby Borg1982 » Wed Aug 29 2018 3:18am

Tarethen wrote:

No.

Sega killed Sega.

So why was moogie angry at FF & S*ny that she'd block those words from being spoken for 15 years?
Borg1982

Postby legalize freedom » Wed Aug 29 2018 12:29pm

For FF it was because of the crazy amount of FF discussions going on everywhere. Where game forums that had nothing to do with FF were basically taken over by people discussing FF. She didn't want that to happen to SFC. That's my understanding of it anyway.
legalize freedom

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Tarethen » Thu Aug 30 2018 5:08am

Borg1982 wrote:
Tarethen wrote:

No.

Sega killed Sega.

So why was moogie angry at FF & S*ny that she'd block those words from being spoken for 15 years?

See what Legalize Freedom said. When FF discussion starts, FF discussions take over.

As for the S*ny ban, I don't remember her reasoning for that one. I know her stance on S*ny has softened over the years, though.

Sega is responsible for the failure of the Saturn, tho.
Tarethen

jRPG Newsman
Shining Legend

Postby DomingoRules! » Thu Aug 30 2018 2:21pm

legalize freedom wrote:For FF it was because of the crazy amount of FF discussions going on everywhere. Where game forums that had nothing to do with FF were basically taken over by people discussing FF. She didn't want that to happen to SFC. That's my understanding of it anyway.

Shame Shining isn't as popular, otherwise we could all retaliate by going to a Forbidden Series forum and ruin it by getting everybody there talking about Shining instead. :lol:
DomingoRules!

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

PreviousNext