Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums All Things Shining
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Camelot wishes to make Shining Force 4

If your topic relates to more than one Shining game, post it here!

Re: Camelot wishes to make Shining Force 4

Postby sulfuroxp » Wed Nov 22 2017 6:10pm

Maybe, it's the famous Shining Force 4ever :shifty:

or the racing game, Shining Force Gear :excited:
sulfuroxp

Lost Shining Purple
Shining Legend

Postby Heldane » Fri Dec 29 2017 8:39pm

SF4 on PS4 would be awesome! To think about SF3 with PS4's graphical capabilities is just mindblowing.
Heldane

Postby Novangel X » Tue Jan 09 2018 12:51pm

I never thought id hear anything close to this kinda news ever again. Please let this happen!
Now Loading...
Now Loading...
Novangel X

Double Gene
Shining Legend

Postby Tarethen » Fri Jan 12 2018 4:27am

Dream is dead. Camelot still working on Mario sports titles.
Tarethen

jRPG Newsman
Shining Legend

Postby Kalkano » Fri Jan 12 2018 6:39pm

Tarethen wrote:Dream is dead. Camelot still working on Mario sports titles.

Every time they announce a new sports game, I go through the same cycle:

"Ugh...now we have to wait for that to RELEASE, before there's even a CHANCE of them actually working on an RPG..."
Currently Replaying: Legend of Dragoon

Shining Force 3: Chronology (YouTube Series Here)

"Honesty has a beautiful and refreshing simplicity about it. No hidden meanings. No hidden agendas. As honesty and integrity characterize our lives there will be no need to manipulate others."

"Honesty has a beautiful and refreshing simplicity about it. No hidden meanings. No hidden agendas. As honesty and integrity characterize our lives there will be no need to manipulate others."
Kalkano

Shining Commander
Shining Hero

Postby Kaihaku » Fri Jan 12 2018 9:14pm

I can see it now... Camelot finally makes Shining Force 4 but Sega decides to fill it with microtransactions and keep it Japan only. Now you feel the pain of Phantasy Star fans.
The Once and Future Kai
"The quick brown vox jumps ofer the lazy dog"
The Once and Future Kai
"The quick brown vox jumps ofer the lazy dog"
Kaihaku

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Kalkano » Fri Jan 12 2018 10:30pm

Kaihaku wrote:I can see it now... Camelot finally makes Shining Force 4 but Sega decides to fill it with microtransactions and keep it Japan only. Now you feel the pain of Phantasy Star fans.

Meh. It would probably also be for phones, which would mean I would not care about it, and would not even consider it to be a "true" Shining Force 4.

Kalkano

Shining Commander
Shining Hero

Postby Ansa » Sun Jan 14 2018 6:11am

How any of you still have hope after all the shit thats happened I do not know.

I gave up a long time ago, SF doesn't even have the kind of cult following like games like Shenmue and other properties that people have been asking for to return. SF has a very loyal but very small fanbase, which while I think could become vastly bigger when other series have seen crazy success as of late (Fire Emblem, XCom) while Sega holds the rights to the property I wouldn't hold my breath.

I mean look at what happened with Valkyria Chronicles, after the first game they moved it to the freaking PSP, killed one of the best things about it (the story) and continued that for 2 games that also didn't do very well (they didn't even bother to bring the third game stateside) then we had that god awful action RPG that they actually released worldwide and it did even worse because the game was trash. What was successful though was the PC port of the original game, without that I don't think VC4 would even be a thing.

Shining Force would need the same kind of jolt to even stand a chance but how does Sega even do that? They've done re-releases of the first game a few times including the GBA remake (which wasn't great) but none of the games ever did really well or anything and how could it, its still just and older title that is in either versions case severely dated, its not as if they have a modern version of the 'Force' series to draw from.

My point is that there isn't a more recent project that they could even begin to really focus on re-releasing on new platforms to build a fanbase, they would have to put in actual effort to get that done with a new game or a remake of some kind. While yeah sure maybe they will try to do that with the PS4 Port of that PS3 Shining game they have suggested that they might want to bring stateside the biggest problem they face is that the 'Shining' series did even worse in the west then the 'Force' sub series, while sure some of us might have fond memories of the other Shining games its clearly got an even smaller fanbase to draw from then the SF series and no, not everyone has played both. I have yet to even finish any of the older Shining games and I've only played 2 of them.

It's just an uphill battle no matter how you look at it, no way Sega throws a ton of money at an untested product now of all times which is why a remake of the PS3 game is the only thing that has seemed even remotely likely for a western release in a freaking decade. I'd love to be wrong about this and that secretly Sega is working with Camelot on a real Shining Force 4 or at the very least they were talking to each other about it but I don't see it happening ever unless something massively changes like Nintendo gets involved.

Hell to be quite honest I don't know what staff that works at Camelot now would have worked on the series back in its prime, Camelot hasn't exactly made the most stellar of games in the last few years mostly making Mario sports titles, even if we got what we wanted and had them working on it that doesn't mean the game would actually end up being good, even with the original staff involved there could be issues.

My real point is that it would take a damn miracle for such a project even to get to the point where they announce its in development.
I have a youtube channel now that focuses on vlogs about things going on in the gaming industry!

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheNovelMike
I have a youtube channel now that focuses on vlogs about things going on in the gaming industry!

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheNovelMike
Ansa

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby thepeaguy » Sun Jan 14 2018 2:59pm

The only way a traditional Shining game would appear in the 21st century is if the fans pay towards it via kickstarter. Sega ain't going to lose money on a small fanbase in the US and Europe.

Shining series is Camelot's baby, but Sega own the rights (except for the Saturn titles), unfortunately.
Last edited by thepeaguy on Sat Jun 23 2018 2:11am, edited 1 time in total.
thepeaguy

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Marky » Sun Jan 14 2018 7:52pm

An Independent Group should pursue the creation of a new Shining Game, made as a Spiritual Successor to either the SRPGs or the Dungeon-Crawling RPGs.

I think it could be called "Glowing Force" or "Glowing in the Darkness" or something.... :roll:
Marky

Attending Physician
Shining Legend

Postby alex_man » Sun Jan 14 2018 9:30pm

or shining force 4 :thumbsup:
alex_man

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Doh042 » Sun Jan 14 2018 10:11pm

Marky wrote:An Independent Group should pursue the creation of a new Shining Game, made as a Spiritual Successor to either the SRPGs or the Dungeon-Crawling RPGs.

I think it could be called "Glowing Force" or "Glowing in the Darkness" or something.... :roll:

There's a few of us in the Fanworks section doing just that. There's probably 4-5 different and somewhat serious Shining Force-inspired games being developped by people on this forum.

I'm certainly going to be poking SEGA once my prototype is out to see what they think of the project.
... enjoy!

-Doh
... enjoy!

-Doh
Doh042

Postby Marky » Sun Jan 14 2018 11:03pm

That sounds very interesting and creative.

Hope Sega looks into it when you have more material produced.
Marky

Attending Physician
Shining Legend

Postby Neutral » Sat Jan 27 2018 7:13pm

chevkraken wrote:
Kalkano wrote:
chevkraken wrote:Sega would be ok for a new Shining by Camelot only if they accept somes thing I think.
1.Tony Taka as chara designer
2.Updated gameplay based on Sakura wars, Valkyria Chronicles and Shining Blade Gameplay.
3.Not a sequel of Shining force 3, but a reboot or a sequel of modern Shining
4.More in the spirit of Shining force 1 and 2 than Shining force 3

If the team want old school Design and gameplay, it would be no for Sega as nobody in japan want oldschool shining and the western public is very niche.

1) I wouldn't be happy about it, but it's a sacrifice I'd be willing to make. I just really hope the Takahashi brothers would handle the story (so it could be taken seriously).

2) Fire Emblem works, so why wouldn't Shining Force?

Because Shining force is not Fire emblem, it's a far smaller licence. An oldschool Shining would just be a clone of Fire emblem. Except few hardcore fan. Nobody would play the game when there is already Fire emblem.

And more it's not the Sega spirit to make old school gameplay. Shining force 1,2 and 3 where much more innovating than Fire emblem or Langrisser. Sakura wars 3 was a big innovation for his time, Same thing for Dragonforce, In 2008, Sega made one more time a revolution in SRPG with Valkyria Chronicles.

It's how Sega work, Sega just make game who innovate...

3) I don't see why. They could continue the story of Galm, and it would be a situation where you don't HAVE to play 3 to understand what's going on.

3 reasons:
1.Because Shining force 3 made the worse sales in the series, even in japan where Saturn was very popular and Shining series always made most of their sales.(I want to point than Sakura Wars, released after Shining force 3 scenario 2 made 550000 sales)
Japan people don't want and don't love Shining force 3 and they are the main public of the Shining series.

2.Shining force 3 was released 20 years ago, making a sequel of this game would be only for a very niche public who played the original game

3.There is a public for the modern shining, Sega can't ignore them as they are now the main public of the series

4) Again, why? The only reason 3 is not the most popular game in the series, is that no one was really able to play it.

No like I said, Shining force 3 was a failure even in japan where many games realeased in same time where very popular (Dragon force, Sakura wars)

In japan the Shining the fans love are modern Shining or Shining Force 1 (Max, the Ancient and Adam being even now often hinted in modern Shining, the character of Shining force 3 never)

My assomptions are not baseless, they are based on marketing assomption made by a better knowledge of the market.

but an Ancient focused game focusing on the mesh of tech and magic that was core to SF1 hasn't been done in forever. It's all been focused on more traditional fantasy or steampunk elements.

In Shining Blade and Ark, Sakuya is said to be part of the ancient. Rage the hero of Shining blade is also a descendant of the Ancient, Shining Ark have Adam and Freed is implied to be related to Max.
And the Ark in Shining Ark is a spaceship crashed longtime ago.
And actually, there is no steampunk element in modern Shining, all element related to the ancient in them are tech element, it's still the core of the universe.

For the positive, I want to point than Treasure and Compile, the 2 other society in the Interview have very good relationship with Sega.

Shining Hearts and Blade were made by ex Treasure member, and Treasure made many game for Sega the ten last years.
And one of the main RPG series made by Compile is about a never released Sega hardware who take is revenge by saving Nintendo, Microsoft and S*ny from the Piracy. They even made a cross over game with Seha hard girl.

Having Camelot president to this event implie he is in good relationship with Sega too.

Maybe more like DIsgaea 5
Neutral

Postby DomingoRules! » Mon Jan 29 2018 8:04am

The greatest crime of the unlikeliness of Shining Force 4 happening is that a new Bubsy game did happen. Meaning there's more interest in Bubsy than Shining Force.
Xbox 360 Gamertag: Mr GURVMLK
PSN Account: Mr_GURVMLK
Nintendo ID: Mr_GURVMLK
3DS Friend Code: 1246-8952-3737
Xbox 360 Gamertag: Mr GURVMLK
PSN Account: Mr_GURVMLK
Nintendo ID: Mr_GURVMLK
3DS Friend Code: 1246-8952-3737
DomingoRules!

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby maanto » Fri Mar 23 2018 3:27am

I see only 3 sites reporting on this- NintendoLife, SEGAbits, and Niche Gamer. Correct me if I missed any, but that's all I see.
maanto

Postby MrSnuggles » Fri Apr 20 2018 8:53pm

How about a remaster in the vein of Wonder Boy 3? That team did an amazing job. I would pay full price for that.
MrSnuggles

Postby Sega91 » Sun May 13 2018 9:55pm

Ansa wrote:Shining Force would need the same kind of jolt to even stand a chance but how does Sega even do that? They've done re-releases of the first game a few times including the GBA remake (which wasn't great) but none of the games ever did really well or anything and how could it, its still just and older title that is in either versions case severely dated, its not as if they have a modern version of the 'Force' series to draw from.

SF3, IMO is on the cusp of what could be awesome for a remake as it was made in 1998 as games started to get more complex and has a lot more depth in there with the story which could be expanded. Probably done a SF3 (with the three trilogies in one) and a graphical new lick of paint could be something to really push things. That game deserves to be released on a console that isn't dying. Panzer Dragoon Saga too.

I mean, I agree too much has happened for this to be really possible. From the end of the Megadrive/Genesis era to today Sega has just screwed things up in a way that is kind of impossible to dig themselves out from.
Sega91

Postby Wanuska » Sun May 13 2018 10:36pm

If they are ever going to make another true Shining game, it'll surely be a remake. It's cheaper, it's trendy, and it's an effective way to see if people are still interested without allocating too much resources in making a script, new assets...
Might be a 3ds game then. Little to no competition since the console getting older and older, few spendings in graphics, and a user base fond of tactical RPGs.
What is that can only see in black and white, yet only aims at colored people?
WARNING: SPOILER!
What is that can only see in black and white, yet only aims at colored people?
WARNING: SPOILER!
Wanuska

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Tarethen » Fri Jun 22 2018 2:59am

They are not working on Shining Force IV right now. Famitsu had an interview with the Takahaski's. The tweet by someone who was able to read the interview basically confirmed it.

As expected.

Move along folks.

https://twitter.com/johntv/status/1009670015979622400
Tarethen

jRPG Newsman
Shining Legend

PreviousNext

Return to All Things Shining