Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums All Things Shining
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Camelot wishes to make Shining Force 4

If your topic relates to more than one Shining game, post it here!

Re: Camelot wishes to make Shining Force 4

Postby legalize freedom » Sat Aug 17 2019 1:50pm

You are not alone, but maybe more so because of the YouTube fiasco a few years ago. Many channels were totally screwed due to Sega of Japan.

I personally avoid sega games to this day. Not that there are a lot that I want or that I haven't bought one without knowing it, but it is still an active boycott. I do believe TotalBiscuit took his boycott (not reviewing etc any sega games) to the grave after many years.

Now I know it was a long time ago and they've "corrected" course, but elephants never forget. The vast majority of those affected were part of this community. I doubt many of them have forgotten. TB was big enough that he managed to get his worked out, but many people had to start new channels from scratch. So while the time to forgive may have past (for both reasons), I tend to stand with my shining people.
legalize freedom

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Kalkano » Mon Sep 02 2019 6:45pm

^ I think we'd all forgive them instantly if their apology was Shining Force 4, developed by Camelot. ;)
Currently Playing for the First Time: Fire Emblem: Three Houses (Black Eagles Route)

Shining Force 3: Chronology (YouTube Series Here)

"Honesty has a beautiful and refreshing simplicity about it. No hidden meanings. No hidden agendas. As honesty and integrity characterize our lives there will be no need to manipulate others."
Currently Playing for the First Time: Fire Emblem: Three Houses (Black Eagles Route)

Shining Force 3: Chronology (YouTube Series Here)

"Honesty has a beautiful and refreshing simplicity about it. No hidden meanings. No hidden agendas. As honesty and integrity characterize our lives there will be no need to manipulate others."
Kalkano

Shining Commander
Shining Hero

Postby rid1ey » Mon Sep 09 2019 2:25pm

Who here expected Shining Force 4 on Dreamcast back in the day? ...Like it was guaranteed? I certainly did.

Always assumed it would continue with Julian & Jane ...never happened.

Time Stalkers was all that was thrown at us ...and it worked for me to some extent.

I remember when Shining Soul was announced and seeing in-game screen shots thinking the Mercenary was Julian and the Mage, Jane lol.

I don't know how a Camelot Shining Force 4 would sit with people's expectations (on all levels) after so much time ...look to Golden Sun Dark Dawn for example. Everybody would know how to do it better.
Switch Friend code: SW-6146-8724-6311
3DS Friend Code: 1736-1423-5795
Xbox 360 Gamertag: rid1ey
rid1ey

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby DomingoRules! » Mon Sep 09 2019 8:53pm

I found Time Stalkers to be a tad disappointing, because there were too many characters I didn't recognize. I remember seeing Nigel, Pyra, and Jogurt, but otherwise I didn't really know any of the characters, aside from perhaps one or two townspeople I'm forgetting. Just recruiting Nigel and Pyra though suggested to me that all the characters (except Sword) were probably from other games, but none of them were familiar to me. This resulted in Time Stalkers, to me, just being some random RPG that just so happened to have a couple familiar faces.
Xbox 360 Gamertag: Mr GURVMLK
PSN Account: Mr_GURVMLK
Nintendo ID: Mr_GURVMLK
3DS Friend Code: 1246-8952-3737
Xbox 360 Gamertag: Mr GURVMLK
PSN Account: Mr_GURVMLK
Nintendo ID: Mr_GURVMLK
3DS Friend Code: 1246-8952-3737
DomingoRules!

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby tfhb02 » Sun Sep 15 2019 11:54pm

rid1ey wrote:Who here expected Shining Force 4 on Dreamcast back in the day? ...Like it was guaranteed? I certainly did.

Always assumed it would continue with Julian & Jane ...never happened.

Yeah, I don't know if I expected it, but I hoped for it. I wasn't really an active part of this community at that point, I think I may have browsed, my focus was heavily on trying to get information of the 'lost' parts of SF3. I think that was the naivety of being a kid: Sega was trying a forlorn attempt at being different back then and largely abandoned their old IPs (except Sonic) trying for some new titles, to distance themselves from the Saturn (and MegaCD/32X) debacle but it was too late. And those games were super interesting, as this site suggests: https://www.forbes.com/sites/mitchwalla ... 9b55c7cc43, Sega's time as a major console maker was amazingly creative. But it was disappointing it didn't happen when it died in 2001, maybe if it had have survived longer one would've come. In retrospect, after Camelot's departure it was probably for the best. What they have done to the series since is a travesty...

I remember the hopefulness around Shining Soul too. Little did we know...

From the perspective of now much seems obvious, the business politics, SEGA's incompetence etc a lot of what happened was both inevitable and obvious.

And yet, here we are in 2019. Sega have been a 3rd party developer for as long as they were a major console manufacturer (since 1983 with the SG-1000 to 2001, 18 years, the same as between then and now in 2019), Camelot have become the... eh Mario Tennis/Golf Company with the Golden Sun series hay-day being more of the era of Shining Force than now. One would think that enough water has passed under the bridge that these two companies could work on something or at least trust passionate enough indie developers to do something for them. Look at what happened with Sonic Mania.
tfhb02

Postby thepeaguy » Wed Sep 18 2019 12:47pm

legalize freedom wrote:You are not alone, but maybe more so because of the YouTube fiasco a few years ago. Many channels were totally screwed due to Sega of Japan.

I personally avoid sega games to this day. Not that there are a lot that I want or that I haven't bought one without knowing it, but it is still an active boycott. I do believe TotalBiscuit took his boycott (not reviewing etc any sega games) to the grave after many years.

Now I know it was a long time ago and they've "corrected" course, but elephants never forget. The vast majority of those affected were part of this community. I doubt many of them have forgotten. TB was big enough that he managed to get his worked out, but many people had to start new channels from scratch. So while the time to forgive may have past (for both reasons), I tend to stand with my shining people.

Apart from Yakuza and Valkyria Chronicles, I haven't bought Sega products like I did 20+ years ago.

Glad I'm not alone, then. :) It's really simple: I'm not doing business with either Sega or Camelot unless they produce Golden Sun and/or Shining games.
thepeaguy

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby rid1ey » Fri Sep 27 2019 9:08am

There seems to be a recent buzz around SEGA and some of it's Older IP's

Sonic Mania was a good start failed only by it's forced connection to the reboot (Modern) by Lizuka's hands...
(I enjoy the option of being able to head canon a separation of Classic and Modern though still enjoying Modern)

...did they not at some point ask it's fanbase what IP's they would like to see return?

I think the feed back is coming to fruition now with a Panzer Dragoon Remake, HOTD1&2 remake, Streets of Rage 4, Super Monkey Ball (...featuring SONIC!) PHANTASY STAR ONLINE 2 west bound and it's SEGA AGES line up with added bells and whistles, a rumoured NiGHTS game, Toe Jam and Earl... There is obviously Shenmue 3, The Mega Drive Mini ect. EDIT add Wonder Boy/Monster Boy to that list!

The reboot of the Shining Series has not resonated with the West for a multitude of reasons. I'll leave it at that.

I think it's possible that the reboot of Shining and it's story/characters (Soul to Rebellion) has finished now and we will see something in the lines of another reboot more akin to the Classics if not a direct continuation.

There is obviously the 30th Anniversary looming, which leads me to this interview...

https://www.resetera.com/threads/blade- ... 021.97492/

Makoto Suzuki is at the helm now after Tsuyoshi Sawada. He had this to say about future titles...

Will the Shining series try out different genres in the future?

Suzuki: “Currently we can’t make any announcements, but as the series enters its 30th anniversary in 2021, we hope we can present fans with some sort of title by then. We’re still discussing it.”

It's entirely possible that Tony Taka's artworks and figurines bring in more money than the games would themselves which stops them catering outside of 'that' - keeping the series going. This is great if you can take to Modern Shining but not for anybody else apparently. Lots of SEGA IP's never continued so it's odd Shining has been going so long now. It was a niche IP to begin with. It's possible it's fanbase in Japan is dwindling which could only be good for those wishing for another reboot or Classic Style return.
rid1ey

Shining Member
Shining Member

Previous

Return to All Things Shining