Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums All Things Shining
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Playing Shining Force 1, 2, and CD with the original names

If your topic relates to more than one Shining game, post it here!

Playing Shining Force 1, 2, and CD with the original names

Postby Za4 » Wed Jul 26 2017 2:16am

I recently felt like playing through the series again, and I wanted to use the original names for the characters, so I was looking up the original names and how to rename them.
I decided to collect all the information together in a picture guide to make it easier.

It's uploaded here:http://imgur.com/a/ZuzSZ

I know the Shining Studies page has translations for all the names, which was really useful.
I thought a few of the translations weren't quite right so I didn't follow it exactly, although I'm no expert in Japanese, so I might be wrong.
Za4

Re: Playing Shining Force 1, 2, and CD with the original nam

Postby sulfuroxp » Thu Jul 27 2017 7:37pm

It's 99,6% correct
the ninja name is Hanz┼Ź
Sara, without "H"
Mary Ann or Mary Anne, not Marian
Game"s"u
sulfuroxp

Lost Shining Purple
Shining Legend

Postby Cullsoft » Thu Jul 27 2017 9:53pm

Za4 - Even though my Katakana knowledge is rusty in places, at a glance your chart looks good. :) One spelling that I might reconsider is "Aleph" - I'm not sure how prominent the "e" sound should be in this case (as it's sometimes silent like in "-u" characters), but I've sometimes wondered if this was meant to be pronounced "Alf", which can be short for Alison.

Out of curiosity, did you refer to anything other than the name transaltion pages in Shining Studies for this information? Some of the guide books list romanisations of some Japanese names (for instance, the SF1 world book lists Guntz as Gants rather than Gantz), although sometimes there are inconsistencies between these or clear mistranalsations (the same book lists Vankar as Bangard rather than Vanguard).

sulfuroxp wrote:Sara, without "H"
Mary Ann or Mary Anne, not Marian

Actually, I think "SaRa" could count as either Sarah and Sara, although Sara is more likely to be pronounced with a harder "Sa" sound that Sarah (I've found cases of both spellings having either pronounciation).*

I think Marian is far more likely to be correct - Mary has a softer, drawn out "a" sound so would probably need to be spelled "Ma-Ri", whilst the "MaRi" spelling used here would sound like marry. Her name may also be an in-joke to Maid Marian from the Robin Hood legend, seeing as she joins you from a castle's court just after a green-clad archer (who oddly isn't named Robin in either translation, though that may have been too obvious a joke) joins you from the woods outside.

Remember that the "a" sound in Japanese is pronunced like the a in "apple" or "Harry Potter" by default.

* A curious side-note - I think the two Sarahs are the only case (at least in the original series) of two characters having the same Japanese name without hinting at being the same charatcer (such as Domingo, Musashi and Hanzou) or connected to their predecessor (such as Arthur, Twiggy and and Elrick when they appear in SF3).
----- Culley's Shop RPG Trading Post & Figurine Emporium -----
- Warrior Pride, Dynamite & other items for sale
- Various figures for trading
- Seeking Grace, Alef and May figurines, also Power Waters, Lucky Cookies and rare goods
Click here for trading rates & more information
----- Culley's Shop RPG Trading Post & Figurine Emporium -----
- Warrior Pride, Dynamite & other items for sale
- Various figures for trading
- Seeking Grace, Alef and May figurines, also Power Waters, Lucky Cookies and rare goods
Click here for trading rates & more information
Cullsoft

Shining Furce
Shining Legend

Postby RedShine » Mon Jul 31 2017 4:45am

Za4 wrote:I recently felt like playing through the series again, and I wanted to use the original names for the characters, so I was looking up the original names and how to rename them.
I decided to collect all the information together in a picture guide to make it easier.

It's uploaded here:http://imgur.com/a/ZuzSZ

I know the Shining Studies page has translations for all the names, which was really useful.
I thought a few of the translations weren't quite right so I didn't follow it exactly, although I'm no expert in Japanese, so I might be wrong.

That's a pretty handy reference. I always hated how Sega was lazy with names when translating Shining games and often reused names of other characters, even when their actual names could fit the space given without issues. So much so that I used SFeditor and Caravan to make SF1 and 2 versions that had the original names, for my own use; I hope at one point SFCD gets an editor that allows for proper names from the get go.

Edit: then again, for SFCD, a book 3 or 4 save in memory would achieve the same effect, should one start a new game. I have one at the museum battle (which I can't finish thanks to Warderer and Woldol sticking too close together *grumble*) but if anyone needs it, let me know.
RedShine

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Za4 » Wed Aug 02 2017 7:28pm

Cullsoft wrote:Out of curiosity, did you refer to anything other than the name transaltion pages in Shining Studies for this information? Some of the guide books list romanisations of some Japanese names (for instance, the SF1 world book lists Guntz as Gants rather than Gantz), although sometimes there are inconsistencies between these or clear mistranalsations (the same book lists Vankar as Bangard rather than Vanguard).

I looked at the 'Shining Artwork' section for each of the games, which has scans from some books, but the names were all in Japanese.

I didn't know there were books that had names in English.
Za4

Postby SirIsaacLemon » Sun Aug 13 2017 3:28am

I just started playing Shining Force CD for the first time ever (only ever played SF1, SF2 and a bit of SF3) and the names kept throwing me off I now know that Lug (Luke) is Ruse's Father.
SirIsaacLemon

Return to All Things Shining