Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums All Things Shining
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Shining Wiki needs you

If your topic relates to more than one Shining game, post it here!

Re: Shining Wiki needs you

Postby T300 » Tue Nov 09 2010 7:44pm

Moogie @ Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:40 pm) wrote: If everyone's up for it, and it's actually possible to move it over, just let me know what the preferred wiki system is for me to install and I will do so. You can then use wiki.shiningforcecentral.com :)

I am up for it.
T300

Verum Aeternus
Shining Hero

Postby Christine » Tue Nov 09 2010 7:54pm

Moogie @ Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:40 am) wrote: If everyone's up for it, and it's actually possible to move it over, just let me know what the preferred wiki system is for me to install and I will do so. You can then use wiki.shiningforcecentral.com :)

I think the most used is Media Wiki.
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki
Could be wrong though.
Christine

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby BoneIdol » Wed Nov 10 2010 2:11pm

Well, I had a quick look into making a dump of all the articles and what-not, and I think I've gotten somewhere.

First off, here's a dump of every page in the wiki, complete with history: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?ghxiwzv8p11sohh. This is compatible with mediawiki, not sure about other wikis.

As for images, I've found a python script here that will copy the pictures from one wiki to another. It's available here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia: ... leMigrator
BoneIdol

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Christine » Thu Nov 11 2010 3:10pm

That is nice, the importing will be flawless. So any news on how this is coming along?

The images... how many are them? I've caught a fair amount of .jpgs prowling around (quality loss) and the Saturn screenshots can be cut down to half their size and save bandwidth.
Christine

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby BoneIdol » Thu Nov 11 2010 5:38pm

Right, I actually tried this out on a local copy of mediawiki just to see if it works. There's a bug in one of the files listed (ImageDownloader.py) where it doesn't work with wikia (since it hosts images on seperate servers).

Fixed version:
CODE
#!/usr/bin/env python
import urllib
import os
class ImageDownloader:
def __init__(self, urlBase, savePath):
self.urlBase = urlBase
self.path = savePath
if not os.path.exists(savePath):
os.mkdir(savePath)
self.images = {}
def _saveImage(self, url):
location = url.split('/')[-1]
self.images[url] = False
ImageDownload(location, url, self.path + location)
def saveImages(self, urls):
for url in urls:
self._saveImage(url)

class ImageDownload:
def __init__(self,name, url, savePath):
self.url = url
self.name = name
self.percent = 0
urllib.urlretrieve(url, savePath, lambda x, y,z: (self.downloadUpdate(x,y,z)))
def downloadUpdate(self, x,y,z):
percent = int(x*y/float(z)*100)
percent = min(100, percent)
if percent > self.percent:
self.percent = percent
print str(percent) + "% " + self.name

And, as for how it looks...

BoneIdol

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Martin III » Fri Nov 12 2010 6:30am

BoneIdol @ Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:47 pm) wrote: Beats me, but wikia's layout seriously annoys me, so I'd be up for incorporating everything to a more traditional wiki. ;) If Martin III is up for it, but lacks a backup/export feature, I could always write a little spider program to grab all the articles and store them as something more portable.

Yeah, the previous layout wasn't bad, but I'm really ticked at how the new layout removes a whole bunch of features that you take for granted. The editor no longer wraps to the window, so you either have to maximize your browser(something I've never liked doing even before I got a widescreen monitor) or keep scrolling back and forth while you edit. When you're starting a new article, there are no longer quick buttons for formatting, forcing you to type up code for every bolded word. And so on.

I'm definitely up for moving it to Shining Force Central.
"Sir Reginald, Duke of Chutney! ...And don't stick your tongue out at me, kid." - Disney's Robin Hood

"Hey, where's my Holy Grail?!" - Shining Tears X Wind
"Sir Reginald, Duke of Chutney! ...And don't stick your tongue out at me, kid." - Disney's Robin Hood

Martin III

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Moogie » Fri Nov 12 2010 9:04am

Well, I should have a bit of spare time on Sunday to be able to install MediaWiki for you & setup a subdomain for it - will let you know when it's done :)
The SFC Forum RPG is now live! Enjoy :)
rpg.php
rpg.php
Moogie

Goddess of all things Shining
Administrator

Postby BoneIdol » Fri Nov 12 2010 4:36pm

Moogie @ Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:04 am) wrote: Well, I should have a bit of spare time on Sunday to be able to install MediaWiki for you & setup a subdomain for it - will let you know when it's done :)

When you set it up, would you mind giving me FTP access to the directory (mediawiki folder)/includes/specials/ for a bit?

I had to comment out a few lines of code in the Media Wiki login code (SpecialUserlogin.php) to make the image import script work. The newer versions of Media Wiki seem to have some code to stop session hijacking that doesn't like the image import script at all.
BoneIdol

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby T300 » Mon Nov 22 2010 11:35pm

Ok I've broken out of the starting traps :)
T300

Verum Aeternus
Shining Hero

Postby Christine » Tue Nov 23 2010 10:46pm

Please don't forget this Moogie!

And Martim, I haven't done anything, because I tought it would be pointless before the import. However, I'll do something today and tomorrow. Penn article will be complete shortly!
Christine

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby BoneIdol » Wed Nov 24 2010 1:34am

Christine @ Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:46 pm) wrote: Please don't forget this Moogie!

And Martim, I haven't done anything, because I tought it would be pointless before the import. However, I'll do something today and tomorrow. Penn article will be complete shortly!

Nah, don't worry. You get the xml by going to the page Special:Export. It takes about 2 minutes to generate an xml file. :thumbsup:

Also, Moogie I know you're busy, so if you just set up a subdomain for the wiki with an FTP account and email me the username/password/server I'll set up everything else.
BoneIdol

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Martin III » Wed Nov 24 2010 1:40am

T300 @ Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:35 pm) wrote: Ok I've broken out of the starting traps :)

Very nice work so far T300! Thanks for chipping in. :thumbsup:

Martin III

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Moogie » Wed Nov 24 2010 9:14am

BoneIdol @ Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:34 am) wrote: Nah, don't worry. You get the xml by going to the page Special:Export. It takes about 2 minutes to generate an xml file. :thumbsup:

Also, Moogie I know you're busy, so if you just set up a subdomain for the wiki with an FTP account and email me the username/password/server I'll set up everything else.

Thanks mate, I appreciate that.

Seem to be rushed off my feet lately and just didn't find time to do it all.

Have now set up the subdomain and FTP account - expect a PM with details in just a moment!
rpg.php
rpg.php
Moogie

Administrator

Postby BoneIdol » Fri Nov 26 2010 4:41pm

Ok, we're good to go: http://wiki.shiningforcecentral.com/. The wiki is up, all images, articles and templates have been imported from the wikia site. Just need to spruce it up now; gotta make a logo, set up admins and maybe make the layout be a bit more like the SFC main site.

There's a bit of a conflict between SFC's hosting and mediawiki in regards to PHP settings, but I think I've got everything fixed. If anything doesn't work properly please let me know.

I am giving it a break for now, but if anyone wants to play around with it and make suggestions then that would be fantastic, ta. :)

Also, if Moogs and Martin wanna make an account, I'll set you up as Admin/Beaurocrats etc..
BoneIdol

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Moogie » Fri Nov 26 2010 6:39pm

Have set up an account, thanks mate :)
Not that I've really got a lot of time to help out I'm afraid, but teh M00g should exist there at least.

Wouldn't worry about copying the SFC look just yet as the new site design should be in place in a few months, so the wiki would only need to change again then.

Am happy to make a logo for it :)
rpg.php
rpg.php
Moogie

Administrator

Postby Christine » Sat Nov 27 2010 10:44pm

This is great! However, that Infobox template is the ugliest thing I've ever seen. It's also being used for everything, from game to character templates, that will be complex. :confused: I'll try to make it pretty though.

edit: Looks a little better:
http://wiki.shiningforcecentral.com/Template:Infobox
Examples:
http://wiki.shiningforcecentral.com/Apollo
http://wiki.shiningforcecentral.com/Shi ... _Intention

Those are the same colours of the site, both the ligher green/blue and purple. More importantly, I trimmed the code substancially, because in my view half of the stuff that was there isn't needed. If I'm stepping on anyone's toes, I'm sorry, I just thought it was much simpler and much to the point that what was there before.

I also removed the #if because the wiki doesn't have #if installed yet, so it was broken. Also, since 12 options were cluttering the articles, I cut them down to five, which no article has more than that, as of now. However, #If is very nifty and should be installed.

edit2: Went ahead and fixed the character infobox, then created the standard templates of merge, delete, clean, protect, stub and move.
http://wiki.shiningforcecentral.com/Cat ... _Templates
There are lots of edits and I apologise, but I'm always like this.:shifty:
By the way, none of these are needed:
http://wiki.shiningforcecentral.com/ind ... &redlink=1

edit3: Sorted most images from A to M. Image hierarchy is half done as well. I had forgotten how annoying organising a new wikipedia is, :shifty:
Christine

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Martin III » Mon Nov 29 2010 6:15pm

Whoops, I guess I should have checked this topic a bit more regularly, huh?

Well, I've made an account for myself there, so at least that step is done. And I should be more on top of things this coming week.

Martin III

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Christine » Mon Nov 29 2010 7:51pm

Martin, good to know you're here. I need your blessing on several things Should there be defined templates for characters? Right now game and characters both use one template, and are defined quite generally. Also I need to know if you're okay with the changes on the templates I made already. I don't want want to step on anyone's toes.

Another thing that is quite troublesome. Shining Force III portraits (at the very least, haven't checked the rest) are all of poor quality. .jpg compression has completely destroyed them as it can be seen in the comparision below:
On the left, the standard Arthur portrait on the wiki. On the right, the lossless png version which I had uploaded before for an example of the desimbiguate page.

Images should always be in .png so it won't lose quality ever. I have backups of every portrait for Shining Force III, so I propose to delete the ones on the wiki and upload the proper ones instead.

Also, install the if thing!
Christine

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Martin III » Tue Nov 30 2010 10:07pm

Christine @ Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:51 pm) wrote: Martin, good to know you're here. I need your blessing on several things Should there be defined templates for characters? Right now game and characters both use one template, and are defined quite generally. Also I need to know if you're okay with the changes on the templates I made already. I don't want want to step on anyone's toes.

Yeah, as I recall the original Wiki actually had seperate templates for Game, Character, Enemy, Race, Spell, Item, and Location. And I'd been wishing for a separate template for character classes as well.

The template changes look pretty good from what I've reviewed. I had been wanting to change "Birthplace" to "Nationality" in the Character template, since we can only be sure of the birthplace of two or three characters in the entire series, and nationality is more meaningful anyway. But I gather you decided to just eliminate that slot altogether? Or was that just a typo?

Images should always be in .png so it won't lose quality ever. I have backups of every portrait for Shining Force III, so I propose to delete the ones on the wiki and upload the proper ones instead.

Sounds fine with me. Culley had actually already been talking about replacing a lot of the images on the Wiki. You may want to have a word with him, as he's looked at the file designations of a lot more of the Wiki's images than I have. All I can tell you is that all the images I personally uploaded to the wiki are .png.

Also, install the if thing!

You'll have to forgive me as I have virtually no experience in running a wiki; the main reason I took on the Shining Wiki was because someone had to. So, I know nothing about installing stuff to the wiki... Help?

Martin III

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Christine » Tue Nov 30 2010 11:13pm

Yeah, as I recall the original Wiki actually had seperate templates for Game, Character, Enemy, Race, Spell, Item, and Location.  And I'd been wishing for a separate template for character classes as well.

The template changes look pretty good from what I've reviewed.  I had been wanting to change "Birthplace" to "Nationality" in the Character template, since we can only be sure of the birthplace of two or three characters in the entire series, and nationality is more meaningful anyway.  But I gather you decided to just eliminate that slot altogether?  Or was that just a typo?

Ah, I forgot to add it. :shifty: It's there now, as origin. I think it fits more, because sometimes there are places which we don't know which country they come from (Village of the Far East). What do you think?

Sounds fine with me.  Culley had actually already been talking about replacing a lot of the images on the Wiki.  You may want to have a word with him, as he's looked at the file designations of a lot more of the Wiki's images than I have.  All I can tell you is that all the images I personally uploaded to the wiki are .png.

I'll send him a pm for him to join us for this conversation then. There's a lot of duplicates and lower quality versions on the artwork section as well. They're all quite weirdly named. That's the least of the concerns however, because they're beginning to be properly tagged.

You'll have to forgive me as I have virtually no experience in running a wiki; the main reason I took on the Shining Wiki was because someone had to.  So, I know nothing about installing stuff to the wiki... Help?

Well, I'm no expert either, but I know my way around it a fair bit.

This is the extension you need to add if you want the #if function:
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:ParserFunctions

Other extensions I'd recommend:
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension ... ermanently - delete it with no traces.
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:ReCAPTCHA - you set this for users not login in and less than 5 edits and you're safe from bots.
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension ... strictions - right what it says on the tin.
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension ... loadViaZip - can you image adding every portrait of SF3? No? Then add this and upload them all at once in a zip file. You can categorise them automatically as well. You can get rid of this one later, just for now so it's easier to add the sprites, the artwork, etc, massively for now.
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Nuke - allows sysops to mass nuke pages created by a user (Very good to get rid of bot rubbish or dupe accounts.
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Replace_Text - simply <3. You decide to change how a template is done, but there are too many pages with it already and it would be mamooth to edit them all. This is the answer.

This ones I'm not sure to suggest:
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension ... Revisions2 - this will remove every single revision, cutting out the database significantly. I'm not sure if this is for everyone's tastes. I do like it and I find it useful to run every year as a means to shorten the size of the database. however, it's up to you (and Moogie, because she's the one that pays for the space we allocate) to decide.
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:CategoryTree - It displays the categories' hierarchy. Nice to spot errors
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension ... nThreading - it makes the talk pages akin to a discussion forums.

If it's installing them which is the problem:
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Extensions
Christine

Shining Member
Shining Member

PreviousNext

Return to All Things Shining