Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums All Things Shining
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

upgraded Port of Shining Resonance for PS4 announced

and more than possible release for the west

If your topic relates to more than one Shining game, post it here!

upgraded Port of Shining Resonance for PS4 announced

Postby chevkraken » Wed Nov 15 2017 12:13pm

A upgraded port of the dungeon action RPG, Shining Resonance have been announced.

The game will contain the 150 DLC from the original game, rebalanced IA, optimized interface, enhanced resolution (the game was already 60 FPS) and a what if Storyline as bonus mode.

Tony said he want this game to be the start of a revival of the saga, the new Producer Makoto Suzuki, an ex member of the Sonic Team ( he worked on every Sonic 3D, he made Sonic 4 ep 2 and was the lead programmer of Sonic Unleashed,2006 and Riders Zero gravity for PS2) confimed that and even said he want the game to be released worlwide.

Yeah, you heard well Shining series is going to came back in west.
chevkraken

Shining Member
Shining Member

Re: upgraded Port of Shining Resonance for PS4 announced

Postby Wulfunruh » Thu Nov 16 2017 5:13am

The game seems very modern Star Ocean-ish..
Wulfunruh

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Tarethen » Fri Nov 17 2017 5:50am

Whenever I see Sonic 2006, good things are not imagined.
Tarethen

jRPG Newsman
Shining Legend

Postby chevkraken » Fri Nov 17 2017 11:46am

Sonic 2006 was bad only because Sega rushed the programmers to release the game while it was still in beta because they wanted to release for christmas and because Sega cut the Sonic team in two because they wanted to make secret ring.

And someone working mainly one Sonic franchise is a good thing for Shining series because Sonic is a japanese serie made for western audience, so the producer is going to think not only of japanese people.

And yes the game is very Star ocean/Tales of in term of gameplay, but the gameplay ask more strategy. there is often 6 ennemies to kill in same time and it's needed to split ennemies to avoid being surrounded especially because healing item are very expensives and rest point are rare (there is only one town, the game is a Dungeon RPG).
The strategy came also by the gestion of the relationship and the mood of the character (very important for the IA of the allies) and the gestion of the dragon metamorphose of the main character
He can turn in very powerful dragon if the special gauge is full, but if you forget to undo it before it's empty the main character will become berserker and attack his allies. And if you use this transformation you will be unable to use the Song boost
chevkraken

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby DiegoMM » Fri Nov 24 2017 9:03pm

150 dlc?
Interesting articles about true things shining: http://www.everystudent.com/
Interesting articles about true things shining: http://www.everystudent.com/
DiegoMM

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby chevkraken » Sat Nov 25 2017 12:01pm

yep, but most of them were free (except some costumes and character).

It was mostly some event (spring, haloween, summers, valentine day's, christmas...), 2 extra dungeon (one being infinite because it's generate randomly), 1 new difficulty level
chevkraken

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Ansa » Sun Dec 17 2017 7:07pm

First off I'll believe it when I see it.

Second I am far from convinced they should just suddenly bring out a game to the west. There are tons of great RPG's coming out right now, to bring out a game NOW wouldn't set the world on fire unless it was really damn good. Look at what happened with Valkyria Revolution, it bombed hard for various reasons and barely had a blip of attention in the west but VC4 that was just revealed and got a ton of attention in large part because it actually looked good.

A port of a game we never got that has literally no fan base in the west isn't exactly a strong showing and I would hate for Sega to just abandon the idea entirely if that one game failed. They didn't for VC4 but they treat these series completely differently. I'd be a lot more interested if they tried to do this with a new game that didn't seem as generic as all the other Shining games that have come out in the last decade or so. If they want the series to succeed in the west it needs to stand out.

I still think they'd have a much better chance of success if they instead did a Shining Force game instead of just a normal JRPG. Strategy RPG's are hot right now with the success of X-Com, Fire Emblem, and dozens of other smaller projects. Hell doing a smaller title in a retro style like SF1 or SF2 could get a lot of people interested. Many people have fond memories of the original SF games, I've noticed quite a few responses on sites like Reddit and Resetera whenever those games are brought up, people actually have nostalgia for those (not so much the rest of the non-force series) and would show good intentions on continuing the legacy that those games started.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the traditional JRPG market is super competitive in the west, if you aren't doing something different like Xenoblade or Persona you have a hard time standing out. It's the reason why the Tales series has had some big drop offs with many of the games selling rather poorly because they are rushed out or far to generic, if Sega wants the series to actually have success in the west, a port of an older game isn't where I would start.
I have a youtube channel now that focuses on vlogs about things going on in the gaming industry!

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheNovelMike
I have a youtube channel now that focuses on vlogs about things going on in the gaming industry!

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheNovelMike
Ansa

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Tarethen » Mon Dec 18 2017 1:09am

They are probably bringing it over because they have Atlus now and Atlus will work on the localization. Atlus USA is probably now Sega USA.
Tarethen

jRPG Newsman
Shining Legend

Return to All Things Shining