Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums All Things Shining
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

upgraded Port of Shining Resonance for PS4 announced

and more than possible release for the west

If your topic relates to more than one Shining game, post it here!

upgraded Port of Shining Resonance for PS4 announced

Postby chevkraken » Wed Nov 15 2017 12:13pm

A upgraded port of the dungeon action RPG, Shining Resonance have been announced.

The game will contain the 150 DLC from the original game, rebalanced IA, optimized interface, enhanced resolution (the game was already 60 FPS) and a what if Storyline as bonus mode.

Tony said he want this game to be the start of a revival of the saga, the new Producer Makoto Suzuki, an ex member of the Sonic Team ( he worked on every Sonic 3D, he made Sonic 4 ep 2 and was the lead programmer of Sonic Unleashed,2006 and Riders Zero gravity for PS2) confimed that and even said he want the game to be released worlwide.

Yeah, you heard well Shining series is going to came back in west.
chevkraken

Shining Member
Shining Member
 
Posts: 385
Joined: Fri Feb 03 2012 7:50pm

Re: upgraded Port of Shining Resonance for PS4 announced

Postby Wulfunruh » Thu Nov 16 2017 5:13am

The game seems very modern Star Ocean-ish..
Wulfunruh

User avatar
Shining Member
Shining Member
 
Posts: 162
Joined: Sun Jan 01 2017 3:23pm
Location: North Carolina, USA

Re: upgraded Port of Shining Resonance for PS4 announced

Postby Tarethen » Fri Nov 17 2017 5:50am

Whenever I see Sonic 2006, good things are not imagined.
Tarethen

User avatar
jRPG Newsman
Shining Legend
 
Posts: 2403
Joined: Thu Sep 16 2004 2:37pm

Re: upgraded Port of Shining Resonance for PS4 announced

Postby chevkraken » Fri Nov 17 2017 11:46am

Sonic 2006 was bad only because Sega rushed the programmers to release the game while it was still in beta because they wanted to release for christmas and because Sega cut the Sonic team in two because they wanted to make secret ring.

And someone working mainly one Sonic franchise is a good thing for Shining series because Sonic is a japanese serie made for western audience, so the producer is going to think not only of japanese people.

And yes the game is very Star ocean/Tales of in term of gameplay, but the gameplay ask more strategy. there is often 6 ennemies to kill in same time and it's needed to split ennemies to avoid being surrounded especially because healing item are very expensives and rest point are rare (there is only one town, the game is a Dungeon RPG).
The strategy came also by the gestion of the relationship and the mood of the character (very important for the IA of the allies) and the gestion of the dragon metamorphose of the main character
He can turn in very powerful dragon if the special gauge is full, but if you forget to undo it before it's empty the main character will become berserker and attack his allies. And if you use this transformation you will be unable to use the Song boost
chevkraken

Shining Member
Shining Member
 
Posts: 385
Joined: Fri Feb 03 2012 7:50pm

Re: upgraded Port of Shining Resonance for PS4 announced

Postby DiegoMM » Fri Nov 24 2017 9:03pm

150 dlc?
I learned english playing Shining Force 2!
I learned english playing Shining Force 2!
DiegoMM

User avatar
Shining Member
Shining Member
 
Posts: 413
Joined: Wed May 05 2010 2:48pm

Re: upgraded Port of Shining Resonance for PS4 announced

Postby chevkraken » Sat Nov 25 2017 12:01pm

yep, but most of them were free (except some costumes and character).

It was mostly some event (spring, haloween, summers, valentine day's, christmas...), 2 extra dungeon (one being infinite because it's generate randomly), 1 new difficulty level
chevkraken

Shining Member
Shining Member
 
Posts: 385
Joined: Fri Feb 03 2012 7:50pm

Re: upgraded Port of Shining Resonance for PS4 announced

Postby Ansa » Sun Dec 17 2017 7:07pm

First off I'll believe it when I see it.

Second I am far from convinced they should just suddenly bring out a game to the west. There are tons of great RPG's coming out right now, to bring out a game NOW wouldn't set the world on fire unless it was really damn good. Look at what happened with Valkyria Revolution, it bombed hard for various reasons and barely had a blip of attention in the west but VC4 that was just revealed and got a ton of attention in large part because it actually looked good.

A port of a game we never got that has literally no fan base in the west isn't exactly a strong showing and I would hate for Sega to just abandon the idea entirely if that one game failed. They didn't for VC4 but they treat these series completely differently. I'd be a lot more interested if they tried to do this with a new game that didn't seem as generic as all the other Shining games that have come out in the last decade or so. If they want the series to succeed in the west it needs to stand out.

I still think they'd have a much better chance of success if they instead did a Shining Force game instead of just a normal JRPG. Strategy RPG's are hot right now with the success of X-Com, Fire Emblem, and dozens of other smaller projects. Hell doing a smaller title in a retro style like SF1 or SF2 could get a lot of people interested. Many people have fond memories of the original SF games, I've noticed quite a few responses on sites like Reddit and Resetera whenever those games are brought up, people actually have nostalgia for those (not so much the rest of the non-force series) and would show good intentions on continuing the legacy that those games started.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the traditional JRPG market is super competitive in the west, if you aren't doing something different like Xenoblade or Persona you have a hard time standing out. It's the reason why the Tales series has had some big drop offs with many of the games selling rather poorly because they are rushed out or far to generic, if Sega wants the series to actually have success in the west, a port of an older game isn't where I would start.
I have a youtube channel now that focuses on vlogs about things going on in the gaming industry!

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheNovelMike
I have a youtube channel now that focuses on vlogs about things going on in the gaming industry!

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheNovelMike
Ansa

User avatar
Shining Legend
Shining Legend
 
Posts: 2010
Joined: Thu Sep 16 2004 2:12pm
Location: Ohio

Re: upgraded Port of Shining Resonance for PS4 announced

Postby Tarethen » Mon Dec 18 2017 1:09am

They are probably bringing it over because they have Atlus now and Atlus will work on the localization. Atlus USA is probably now Sega USA.
Tarethen

User avatar
jRPG Newsman
Shining Legend
 
Posts: 2403
Joined: Thu Sep 16 2004 2:37pm

Re: upgraded Port of Shining Resonance for PS4 announced

Postby chevkraken » Mon Dec 25 2017 6:33pm

no they bring it in west because the new producer is an ex member of the Sonic team, so he is used to work for western public.

It's the reason why the Tales series has had some big drop offs with many of the games selling rather poorly because they are rushed out or far to generic, if Sega wants the series to actually have success in the west, a port of an older game isn't where I would start.

actually, the last tales of that were just port of PS3 games were great success (especially on steam where Zesteria made 500000 sales) if sega release the game also on steam, it would be an hit, especially if 2018 is poor in JRPG

I want to point that the success of PS4 Shining is not just the future of the licence in west, but the fure of the licence in general.

Since Tsuyoshi Sawada have left Sega, the Direction of sega japan coose Shining Licence was not need anymore and buried the Licence.

But there was one guy who didn't want that, he made him the producer of the serie and worked for month to convince Sega direction to continue the serie, the direction was ok but just for a remake, not a full new game.

Hell doing a smaller title in a retro style like SF1 or SF2 could get a lot of people interested. Many people have fond memories of the original SF games,

But the problem is that the reason Shining serie work in japan is because of Tony Taka (and the serie always been far stronger in japan), so even an old school shining force would need to came with Tony taka design to produce ton of new figures
chevkraken

Shining Member
Shining Member
 
Posts: 385
Joined: Fri Feb 03 2012 7:50pm

Re: upgraded Port of Shining Resonance for PS4 announced

Postby Kalkano » Mon Dec 25 2017 7:25pm

chevkraken wrote:it would be an hit, especially if 2018 is poor in JRPG


For once, 2018 looks great for JRPGs. For me, I'm very much looking forward to Trails of Cold Steel 3, Dragon Quest 11, Fire Emblem Switch (Mainline), and Valkyria Chronicles 4. That's WAY more than I've had to look forward to in previous years.
Currently Playing for the first time: Dragon Quest 11 (PC, with Orchestral Soundtrack Mod)

Shining Force 3: Chronology (YouTube Series Here)

"Honesty has a beautiful and refreshing simplicity about it. No hidden meanings. No hidden agendas. As honesty and integrity characterize our lives there will be no need to manipulate others."
Currently Playing for the first time: Dragon Quest 11 (PC, with Orchestral Soundtrack Mod)

Shining Force 3: Chronology (YouTube Series Here)

"Honesty has a beautiful and refreshing simplicity about it. No hidden meanings. No hidden agendas. As honesty and integrity characterize our lives there will be no need to manipulate others."
Kalkano

User avatar
Shining Commander
Shining Hero
 
Posts: 962
Joined: Wed Sep 22 2004 5:25pm
Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado

Re: upgraded Port of Shining Resonance for PS4 announced

Postby Ansa » Tue Dec 26 2017 12:58am

chevkraken wrote:no they bring it in west because the new producer is an ex member of the Sonic team, so he is used to work for western public.

It's the reason why the Tales series has had some big drop offs with many of the games selling rather poorly because they are rushed out or far to generic, if Sega wants the series to actually have success in the west, a port of an older game isn't where I would start.

actually, the last tales of that were just port of PS3 games were great success (especially on steam where Zesteria made 500000 sales) if sega release the game also on steam, it would be an hit, especially if 2018 is poor in JRPG

I want to point that the success of PS4 Shining is not just the future of the licence in west, but the fure of the licence in general.

Since Tsuyoshi Sawada have left Sega, the Direction of sega japan coose Shining Licence was not need anymore and buried the Licence.

But there was one guy who didn't want that, he made him the producer of the serie and worked for month to convince Sega direction to continue the serie, the direction was ok but just for a remake, not a full new game.

Hell doing a smaller title in a retro style like SF1 or SF2 could get a lot of people interested. Many people have fond memories of the original SF games,

But the problem is that the reason Shining serie work in japan is because of Tony Taka (and the serie always been far stronger in japan), so even an old school shining force would need to came with Tony taka design to produce ton of new figures

Do you have a single source for a single thing you are claiming in this post? I mean steam numbers are one thing but you are making claims about what happens behinds the scenes within Sega among other things, I can't take what you claim seriously without some kind of source be it news article of the information or something else.

Kalkano wrote:
chevkraken wrote:it would be an hit, especially if 2018 is poor in JRPG


For once, 2018 looks great for JRPGs. For me, I'm very much looking forward to Trails of Cold Steel 3, Dragon Quest 11, Fire Emblem Switch (Mainline), and Valkyria Chronicles 4. That's WAY more than I've had to look forward to in previous years.

As someone who has played Cold Steel 3 (well Sen No Keseki III, I imported it) that game is freaking amazing, blows both of the first two games out of the park without even trying and theres still a fourth and final game coming (2018 for Japan).
I have a youtube channel now that focuses on vlogs about things going on in the gaming industry!

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheNovelMike
I have a youtube channel now that focuses on vlogs about things going on in the gaming industry!

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheNovelMike
Ansa

User avatar
Shining Legend
Shining Legend
 
Posts: 2010
Joined: Thu Sep 16 2004 2:12pm
Location: Ohio

Re: upgraded Port of Shining Resonance for PS4 announced

Postby Kalkano » Tue Dec 26 2017 6:15am

Ansa wrote:
Kalkano wrote:
chevkraken wrote:it would be an hit, especially if 2018 is poor in JRPG


For once, 2018 looks great for JRPGs. For me, I'm very much looking forward to Trails of Cold Steel 3, Dragon Quest 11, Fire Emblem Switch (Mainline), and Valkyria Chronicles 4. That's WAY more than I've had to look forward to in previous years.

As someone who has played Cold Steel 3 (well Sen No Keseki III, I imported it) that game is freaking amazing, blows both of the first two games out of the park without even trying and theres still a fourth and final game coming (2018 for Japan).


I was already hyped, and now I'm even more hyped. I'm just playing the first game now, and I was expecting it to be good, but it's already "top 10 of all time" good, for me. I'm in chapter 5.
Currently Playing for the first time: Dragon Quest 11 (PC, with Orchestral Soundtrack Mod)

Shining Force 3: Chronology (YouTube Series Here)

"Honesty has a beautiful and refreshing simplicity about it. No hidden meanings. No hidden agendas. As honesty and integrity characterize our lives there will be no need to manipulate others."
Currently Playing for the first time: Dragon Quest 11 (PC, with Orchestral Soundtrack Mod)

Shining Force 3: Chronology (YouTube Series Here)

"Honesty has a beautiful and refreshing simplicity about it. No hidden meanings. No hidden agendas. As honesty and integrity characterize our lives there will be no need to manipulate others."
Kalkano

User avatar
Shining Commander
Shining Hero
 
Posts: 962
Joined: Wed Sep 22 2004 5:25pm
Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado

Re: upgraded Port of Shining Resonance for PS4 announced

Postby Ansa » Wed Dec 27 2017 5:47am

Kalkano wrote:
I was already hyped, and now I'm even more hyped. I'm just playing the first game now, and I was expecting it to be good, but it's already "top 10 of all time" good, for me. I'm in chapter 5.

Message me when you beat the game, I'll be curious on what you thought of the ending. I won't say another word because AVOID SPOILERS AT ALL COST but that final chapter blew my mind.

I freaking loved Cold Steel and its sequel and just had to import the third game since we'll be lucky to get it in 2018 (I'm hopeful but you never know with XSEED... unless someone else gets it and if they do I'll be extremely pissed) and my god do they deliver.

I was so surprised when I played Cold Steel, I bought it on a whim because the description on the back sounded like something I'd love (much like how I got into Persona for the first time) and was completely blown away. Great characters, amazing and detailed world, minor characters that have their own arcs and stories. I was so excited to see how some of the little characters grew throughout the game and its sequels. This series does world building like no other series I've EVER played, I picked up the Trails in the Sky games as well and powered through them earlier this year (the fast forward helps so much on those, the combat is really slow and dated but so much better when you can make it super fast) and they are just as impressive, I think Cold Steel is still my favorite of the 6 games I've now played but I think thats mostly because its the first game of the series I got into and it grabbed me so hard.

It's amazing what you can do when you really try to make an RPG series exist within the same single world, seeing characters pop up in the other games and seeing events you played referenced in historical documents in other countries is so freaking cool. What I've herd about the 4th game is that it'll have more playable characters then any game previously which is literally like 25+ characters, likely many characters from the other series like the Sky Trilogy as well as the Crossbell arc that has yet to be translated (theres a fan translation being worked on though) a few already showed up in Cold Steel 3 but I'm expecting a huge blowout, they've already teased a few fan favorites. It's going to be so damn hard not to import the 4th game or spoil myself because THERE ARE SO MANY THINGS I HAVE TO KNOW!!! Maybe if they get Cold Steel 3 out before the 4th game comes out I can wait but if not... ugh, my wallet already hurts thinking about it XD
I have a youtube channel now that focuses on vlogs about things going on in the gaming industry!

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheNovelMike
I have a youtube channel now that focuses on vlogs about things going on in the gaming industry!

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheNovelMike
Ansa

User avatar
Shining Legend
Shining Legend
 
Posts: 2010
Joined: Thu Sep 16 2004 2:12pm
Location: Ohio

Re: upgraded Port of Shining Resonance for PS4 announced

Postby chevkraken » Wed Dec 27 2017 8:08pm

Ansa wrote:Do you have a single source for a single thing you are claiming in this post? I mean steam numbers are one thing but you are making claims about what happens behinds the scenes within Sega among other things, I can't take what you claim seriously without some kind of source be it news article of the information or something else.

here is the source
http://www.siliconera.com/2017/11/19/shining-resonance-refrain-producer-comments-refrain-mode-offer/

Kalkano wrote:
chevkraken wrote:it would be an hit, especially if 2018 is poor in JRPG


For once, 2018 looks great for JRPGs. For me, I'm very much looking forward to Trails of Cold Steel 3, Dragon Quest 11, Fire Emblem Switch (Mainline), and Valkyria Chronicles 4. That's WAY more than I've had to look forward to in previous years.

Fire emblem and Valkyria chronicles are SRPG(it's not the same audience). And Dragon quest and Trails of Cold Steel 3 are niche game in West (and Sen no kiseki is not even confirmed in west).

A good year for JRPG in west was 2016 with Persona 5, FFXV and Tales of Berseria
chevkraken

Shining Member
Shining Member
 
Posts: 385
Joined: Fri Feb 03 2012 7:50pm

Re: upgraded Port of Shining Resonance for PS4 announced

Postby Ansa » Thu Dec 28 2017 1:39am

chevkraken wrote:
Ansa wrote:Do you have a single source for a single thing you are claiming in this post? I mean steam numbers are one thing but you are making claims about what happens behinds the scenes within Sega among other things, I can't take what you claim seriously without some kind of source be it news article of the information or something else.

here is the source
http://www.siliconera.com/2017/11/19/shining-resonance-refrain-producer-comments-refrain-mode-offer/

Kalkano wrote:
chevkraken wrote:it would be an hit, especially if 2018 is poor in JRPG


For once, 2018 looks great for JRPGs. For me, I'm very much looking forward to Trails of Cold Steel 3, Dragon Quest 11, Fire Emblem Switch (Mainline), and Valkyria Chronicles 4. That's WAY more than I've had to look forward to in previous years.

Fire emblem and Valkyria chronicles are SRPG(it's not the same audience). And Dragon quest and Trails of Cold Steel 3 are niche game in West (and Sen no kiseki is not even confirmed in west).

A good year for JRPG in west was 2016 with Persona 5, FFXV and Tales of Berseria

The only thing that article talks about is that he wants to continue the Shining series and ramp it up to some effect and that they were ready to put the series to the side. It doesn't mention anything about a western release or even a hint that it might come to the west, nothing about him having to convince them for a month with them only okaying a remake, in fact that article in question deputes your claim of such a thing because within it he says:

Suzuki: “Sawada-san left Sega Games, and the series was set to take a break… But I thought, “No, the Shining series should expand from here on out”, and put out the proposal for Refrain. In order to build up the series again, I thought that as a first step we should bring Shining Resonance, which is a straightforward RPG, to PS4.”
Read more at http://www.siliconera.com/2017/11/19/sh ... Frt4CcZ.99


It suggests that it was his idea to begin with for it to be a simple remake instead of doing a new game, not what you claimed about Sega only allowing him to do a remake.

Also just want to throw this out, the reason the Shining series has done better in Japan is due to Sega's mismanagement of the series at nearly every turn. You had mentioned that in a previous post.

In regards to RPGs...

First off doesn't matter if its a strategy RPG or not, they ARE the same audience. Sure people have different preferences of battle systems but you claiming that they aren't the same audience is complete bullshit. Fire Emblem is also a huuuuge deal in the west, have you seen the numbers Awakening and Fates sold? The amount of money FE Heroes has made on mobile? Fire Emblem is pretty much right under Nintendo's 'big 3' at this point (Pokemon, Mario, and Zelda) so yeah new FE game being released in 2018 is a big deal.

VC4 is also a pretty big deal in the west, the PC release really gathered a cult following for the game. It's not like crazy popular but its leaps and bounds more popular now then it was when the first VC game was released back on PS3.

Dragon Quest and Trails are more niche, sure but so is Tales for that matter. Also FFXV was released in 2015, not 2016, I don't know how you messed that one up. Cold Steel 3 is not confirmed as of yet but that is also do to how Falcom works, they won't even let outside studios work on localization until after the game is released in Japan, meaning if XSEED is the one going to release it they've had maybe two months max to work on it, they are a really small publisher, I'm sure it coming but I think it'll be late 2018... Unless Falcom wants it out earlier and they pull some shady shit with NIS America again and I swear if they do that I won't buy the f*cking game, not after NIS America butchered the Y's 8 localization.

2018 also has other big RPG's coming out such as Ni no Kuni and Monster Hunter World, and if were talking Nintendo as well you've got to consider Pokemon is on the way as well for 2018. 2018 is a packed year for RPG's already and we haven't even gotten to January yet.
I have a youtube channel now that focuses on vlogs about things going on in the gaming industry!

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheNovelMike
I have a youtube channel now that focuses on vlogs about things going on in the gaming industry!

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheNovelMike
Ansa

User avatar
Shining Legend
Shining Legend
 
Posts: 2010
Joined: Thu Sep 16 2004 2:12pm
Location: Ohio

Re: upgraded Port of Shining Resonance for PS4 announced

Postby chevkraken » Thu Dec 28 2017 5:04pm

The only thing that article talks about is that he wants to continue the Shining series and ramp it up to some effect and that they were ready to put the series to the side.

the interview said Sega tought to stop the serie but the new producer thought it was a waste (if you were aware of how work videogame or even japanese production, It's mean the editor had no faith in the series and the producer was the only one beleving in the project.

I am nearly sure that if the game fail, Shining serie will be buried and Suzuki will lose his work, it's how japanese production work.


Also just want to throw this out, the reason the Shining series has done better in Japan is due to Sega's mismanagement of the series at nearly every turn. You had mentioned that in a previous post.

No it's because japanese and western audience of the serie always been very different.

While in west at it's begininng, the serie was targeted like a mainstream SRPG,

In japan, the public of Shining serie always been otaku, Shining force 2 and even more CD/GG/wisdom had an heavy otaku tone with Gainax member and very popular harcore hentai artist as chara designer.

And when Camelot tried to make the serie less Otaku and targeting more mature western peoples with Shining force 3, the serie failed in japan (Sakurawars 2 released later made 3 more sales than Shining force 3)

And now the public is even more different, Old school design don't sale anymore in japan(Resurrection of Dark Dragon was a mess) and the public of SRPG play only on mobile (while in west Shining Force fan don't want a mobile Shining force game or even a VC game)




for FFXV and 2016:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Fantasy_XV

sure but so is Tales for that matter.

Tales made aroud 10 time more sales than Cold steel and 2 time more than Dragon quest


First off doesn't matter if its a strategy RPG or not, they ARE the same audience. Sure people have different preferences of battle systems but you claiming that they aren't the same audience is complete bullshit.

Hell no?
modern JRPG are nearly action rpg. turn based gameplay is nearly dead.

Do you really think that the people who love FFXV, Star Ocean or Tales of series are the people who play VC or FE (Shining resonance is more tales of/star Ocean than everything)

for a western release

http://www.siliconera.com/2017/11/14/se ... ng-series/
chevkraken

Shining Member
Shining Member
 
Posts: 385
Joined: Fri Feb 03 2012 7:50pm

Re: upgraded Port of Shining Resonance for PS4 announced

Postby Ansa » Thu Dec 28 2017 6:59pm

chevkraken wrote:
The only thing that article talks about is that he wants to continue the Shining series and ramp it up to some effect and that they were ready to put the series to the side.

the interview said Sega tought to stop the serie but the new producer thought it was a waste (if you were aware of how work videogame or even japanese production, It's mean the editor had no faith in the series and the producer was the only one beleving in the project.

I am nearly sure that if the game fail, Shining serie will be buried and Suzuki will lose his work, it's how japanese production work.


Also just want to throw this out, the reason the Shining series has done better in Japan is due to Sega's mismanagement of the series at nearly every turn. You had mentioned that in a previous post.

No it's because japanese and western audience of the serie always been very different.

While in west at it's begininng, the serie was targeted like a mainstream SRPG,

In japan, the public of Shining serie always been otaku, Shining force 2 and even more CD/GG/wisdom had an heavy otaku tone with Gainax member and very popular harcore hentai artist as chara designer.

And when Camelot tried to make the serie less Otaku and targeting more mature western peoples with Shining force 3, the serie failed in japan (Sakurawars 2 released later made 3 more sales than Shining force 3)

And now the public is even more different, Old school design don't sale anymore in japan(Resurrection of Dark Dragon was a mess) and the public of SRPG play only on mobile (while in west Shining Force fan don't want a mobile Shining force game or even a VC game)


for FFXV and 2016:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Fantasy_XV

sure but so is Tales for that matter.

Tales made aroud 10 time more sales than Cold steel and 2 time more than Dragon quest


First off doesn't matter if its a strategy RPG or not, they ARE the same audience. Sure people have different preferences of battle systems but you claiming that they aren't the same audience is complete bullshit.

Hell no?
modern JRPG are nearly action rpg. turn based gameplay is nearly dead.

Do you really think that the people who love FFXV, Star Ocean or Tales of series are the people who play VC or FE (Shining resonance is more tales of/star Ocean than everything)

for a western release

http://www.siliconera.com/2017/11/14/se ... ng-series/

Once again your talking out of your ass, you assume that you have inside knowledge about how Japanese video game production works but if thats the case whom are you to claim that? Do you work for Sega of Japan? Do you work in the Japanese gaming industry? If not then what your spouting off is assumptions you've made, we can all make assumptions thats fine but you are touting them as fact when you have yet to prove it.

Okay first off Shining Force 3 failed because the Saturn was a failure, it had nothing to do with trying to make the series more 'mature' they released the games at the tail end of the Saturn's life (Scenario 3 came out a little more then 2 months before the Dreamcast came out in Japan) because it was released so late we only ever got Scenario 1 outside of Japan, the series should have been pushed to the Dreamcast if anything and it might have had some actual success, we'll sadly never know but this idea that it was because of trying to make the game 'less otaku' is nonsense and again, if you want to prove it provide a freaking source for such an inane statement. That whole thing about the older SF series pandering to Otaku culture also sounds crazy and again, back it up with a freaking source it reads like bullshit you made up on the spot.

Yes FFXV was 2016 I'm a god damn idiot because I confused myself by reading your previous post when you said FFXV, Persona 5 and Tales of Beseria were all 2016 games. My stupid brain singled out FFXV being the wrong year of release because we were previously talking about 2017 and 2018 times when I should have pointed out Persona 5 and Tales of Beseria weren't 2016, they were 2017 here in the west... Which is what we were talking about. Either way I called you out on that and it was my f*ck up on that part so yeah my bad but again, Persona 5 and Tales of Beseria were 2017 in west, not 2016.

What are you talking about with those tales numbers, again SOURCES MAN DO YOU HAVE THEM!? Yeah Keseki is super niche I didn't deny that, and sure in the west maybe Tales sells better then Dragon Quest but in Japan it doesn't not by a long shot. Also it would depend on which entries you are talking about as well, the West hasn't received a proper DQ game recently only remakes of older games, the last new entry was 9 on the original DS. Either way, the Tales series is pretty niche, https://steamspy.com/dev/BANDAI+NAMCO+Entertainment shows Beseria selling about half of what Zesteria did despite Beseria being an infinitely better game, like I said the series has its ups and downs. Sure thats just PC sales but its a good example and console sales weren't exactly grand either, its harder to find exact sources for that but http://www.vgchartz.com/db/game.php?id=86343 (I don't care for VG Chartz but from what I understand industry analysts do consider it fairly accurate for more modern games) Not exactly pulling a million plus every time so once again, Tales is pretty niche even if it is more in the middle then being extremely niche like Keseki or crazy popular like The Forbidden Series.

Yes people who love FFXV, Tales, and other JRPG's also play VC, FE, and other types. You might find this strange but many people find all RPG's interesting and don't care if its turn based, action based, strategy, Japanese, Western, ect. we just like playing RPG's. Sure some people like certain titles and series more but the majority just like good games it doesn't matter how the battle system works because that is only a single element to the overall game. I'm not sure what makes you think otherwise and sure certainly turn based isn't nearly as popular as it once was but to claim people who play action RPG's wouldn't like a Fire Emblem or Persona is absolutely crazy and I have no idea where you come up with this crap.

As for the western release yeah I saw that but it still confirms absolutely f*cking nothing, its just a small note that says they are thinking about bringing it to the west, they f*cking announced Phantasy Star Online 2 for the west and it was only this year they finally took down the damn English site for the project. http://www.siliconera.com/2017/11/19/ph ... dns-error/ point being: Believe what they actually do not what they f*cking say. VC4 won a lot of people over because they immediately confirmed a western release, they still have not announced this Shining game is coming to the west. I'm not saying its not going to happen but what I am saying is don't believe everything you hear from them because Sega fucks things up a lot. Hell with our luck they'll release it in the west give it no marketing push and then be f*cking surprised when it doesn't sell very well, just like what happened to the various PS2 Shining games.

I want you to understand something, I want Sega to prove me wrong, I want this came to come out and lead to an official SF4 that is somehow also developed by Camelot and is amazing and puts the series back on the map worldwide but we've been through this shit before, the series was dead for quite awhile until we got Shining Soul on GBA and the only 'Force' game ever come out from that was the PS2 monstrosities (okay Exa wasn't that bad but it was not a true SF game it was just borrowing the name) and the GBA remake of SF1 which they sent off to die with no marketing or hype. I just don't have any faith in Sega they've screwed us over so many times and not just for SF either, theres the PSO2 shit I mentioned above as well as the various and god awful Sonic games that have come out, ect. you get the idea.

My point has always been that I think its now easier then ever to get noticed if your game is good, hell put it on a Nintendo platform and you'd be amazed how hype can generate from being on a Nintendo direct or have a game show up on a big stage like E3 for one of the major publishers, but you have to have a good game and you have to be willing to at least try and market it appropriately, Sega has never done marketing well here in the west for anything except for stupid ass Sonic. If they actually want the series to come to the west and succeed they need to try, like they have done with this new Valkyria Chronicles game.
I have a youtube channel now that focuses on vlogs about things going on in the gaming industry!

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheNovelMike
I have a youtube channel now that focuses on vlogs about things going on in the gaming industry!

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheNovelMike
Ansa

User avatar
Shining Legend
Shining Legend
 
Posts: 2010
Joined: Thu Sep 16 2004 2:12pm
Location: Ohio

Re: upgraded Port of Shining Resonance for PS4 announced

Postby Kalkano » Sat Dec 30 2017 12:11am

chevkraken wrote:
Ansa wrote:Do you have a single source for a single thing you are claiming in this post? I mean steam numbers are one thing but you are making claims about what happens behinds the scenes within Sega among other things, I can't take what you claim seriously without some kind of source be it news article of the information or something else.

here is the source
http://www.siliconera.com/2017/11/19/shining-resonance-refrain-producer-comments-refrain-mode-offer/

Kalkano wrote:
chevkraken wrote:it would be an hit, especially if 2018 is poor in JRPG


For once, 2018 looks great for JRPGs. For me, I'm very much looking forward to Trails of Cold Steel 3, Dragon Quest 11, Fire Emblem Switch (Mainline), and Valkyria Chronicles 4. That's WAY more than I've had to look forward to in previous years.

Fire emblem and Valkyria chronicles are SRPG(it's not the same audience). And Dragon quest and Trails of Cold Steel 3 are niche game in West (and Sen no kiseki is not even confirmed in west).

A good year for JRPG in west was 2016 with Persona 5, FFXV and Tales of Berseria


There is no doubt whatsoever that Trails 3 is coming to the west, and Japanese SRPGs are very much the same audience. Also, a Shining game is much more niche in the west than Trails, and ESPECIALLY DQ at this point.

Persona 5 released in 2017 in the west. FF15 is an abomination that has nothing to do with The Forbidden Series, and is a terrible attempt at being a WRPG. That series has committed suicide.

I am nearly sure that if the game fail, Shining serie will be buried and Suzuki will lose his work, it's how japanese production work.


Fine with me. Let it die. At this point, it would be an improvement.
Currently Playing for the first time: Dragon Quest 11 (PC, with Orchestral Soundtrack Mod)

Shining Force 3: Chronology (YouTube Series Here)

"Honesty has a beautiful and refreshing simplicity about it. No hidden meanings. No hidden agendas. As honesty and integrity characterize our lives there will be no need to manipulate others."
Currently Playing for the first time: Dragon Quest 11 (PC, with Orchestral Soundtrack Mod)

Shining Force 3: Chronology (YouTube Series Here)

"Honesty has a beautiful and refreshing simplicity about it. No hidden meanings. No hidden agendas. As honesty and integrity characterize our lives there will be no need to manipulate others."
Kalkano

User avatar
Shining Commander
Shining Hero
 
Posts: 962
Joined: Wed Sep 22 2004 5:25pm
Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado

Re: upgraded Port of Shining Resonance for PS4 announced

Postby chevkraken » Sun Dec 31 2017 7:29pm

Okay first off Shining Force 3 failed because the Saturn was a failure, it had nothing to do with trying to make the series more 'mature' they released the games at the tail end of the Saturn's life (Scenario 3 came out a little more then 2 months before the Dreamcast came out in Japan) because it was released so late we only ever got Scenario 1 outside of Japan, the series should have been pushed to the Dreamcast if anything and it might have had some actual success, we'll sadly never know but this idea that it was because of trying to make the game 'less otaku' is nonsense and again, if you want to prove it provide a freaking source for such an inane statement.

Shining force 3 failed because of the lack of success of the Saturn only in west because the Saturn was a big hit in japan
Shining Force 3 failed in japan because japanese people who love the Saturn didn't like it.
The japanese public of the Saturn was arcade gamers and otaku, The Saturn is well now for visual novel and simdate who made big sales on it.

In Japan, the Saturn Sakura wars 2 released later than Shining force 3 scenario 2 made around 500000 sales and made more sales than the first one it was the biggest sales of the serie(and the fifth biggest sales in japan).

Shining Force 3 made only 200000 sale in japans by cumulate the 3 scenarios.

And I want to point than Shining wisdom have been a great success in japan with more than 350000 sales. while Shining the Holy ark made only 100000 sales (while few week before Grandia made also a big hit in Saturn with 350000 sales)


That whole thing about the older SF series pandering to Otaku culture also sounds crazy and again, back it up with a freaking source it reads like bullshit you made up on the spot.

There no need to any sources, look the chara designer of the games?

Are you aware that Shining force CD/gamegear and Wisdom was specialised in Hentai games, He was very popular back then. The situation was not very different than now with Tony Taka. The artist released only one main stream manga and it's this year

And it's not the only exemple, Shining Force official manga was also drawed by a very popular hentai mangaka (and have many fan service shot)

And if you not believe, search for their name on web (and Shining force 2 chara designer was a member of the Gainax)
chevkraken

Shining Member
Shining Member
 
Posts: 385
Joined: Fri Feb 03 2012 7:50pm

Re: upgraded Port of Shining Resonance for PS4 announced

Postby rid1ey » Mon Jan 29 2018 9:59pm

Shining Resonance :Refrain has been listed on the Australian board of classification so a 'Western' release is looking likely

http://segabits.com/blog/2018/01/29/shi ... /#comments
Switch Friend code: SW-6146-8724-6311
3DS Friend Code: 1736-1423-5795
Xbox 360 Gamertag: rid1ey
Switch Friend code: SW-6146-8724-6311
3DS Friend Code: 1736-1423-5795
Xbox 360 Gamertag: rid1ey
rid1ey

User avatar
Shining Member
Shining Member
 
Posts: 140
Joined: Sat Jan 14 2017 8:46am

Next

Return to All Things Shining

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests