Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums All Things Shining
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Camelot wishes to make Shining Force 4

If your topic relates to more than one Shining game, post it here!

Camelot wishes to make Shining Force 4

Postby Tarethen » Sun Oct 29 2017 2:24am

https://www.resetera.com/threads/camelo ... bits.2030/

Yesterday it was held the "3rd Game Business Archive" in Japan featuring Masato Maegawa (Treasure), Masamitsu Niitani (Compile) and Hiroyuki Takahashi (Camelot).
There Hiroyuki Takahashi expressed his desire to develop Shining Force 4.
Of course it's always a matter if the original Publisher wants to fund a sequel on one of its IPs and I think the chance for Sega to want to fund a new Shining Force are quite low.
There were other interesting tidbits from this conference related mostly to Mega Drive.

- Shining in the Darkness shipped 300K in Japan, he noted that at the time it was about half the MD install base in Japan (Note from me: actually , as March 1991, MD had shipped 1.90 million units in Japan).

- Shining Force CD was kind of a practice exercise for Mega CD, so they decided to add bonuses.

- Hiroyuki Takahashi would like to make Shining Force 4

- Gunstar Heroes shipped about 70K in Japan and 200K abroad. The first production run in Japan was 10K and sold out instantly.
Unfortunately it was slow to ramp up production.

- Masato Maegawa complains about the lack of communication with Sega.
Treasure didn't get any support from them during the development of Yu Yu Hakusho (MD).
Treasure was developing mainly for the oversea markets.

- Masato Maegawa is asking for a Mega Drive Mini.

Thanks to VGDensetsu for the info:
https://twitter.com/VGDensetsu/status/9 ... 3215041537
Tarethen

jRPG Newsman
Shining Legend

Re: Camelot wishes to make Shining Force 4

Postby TheUnknownMarine » Sun Oct 29 2017 5:57pm

Why do you torture me with hope, Tarethan?

Is it because of what I did to your centaur in the RPGG so many years ago?

That was YEARS ago, Tarethan! YEARS ago!

I don't control the dice!
TheUnknownMarine

Master Narrator
Shining Legend

Postby Tarethen » Sun Oct 29 2017 11:24pm

TheUnknownMarine wrote:Why do you torture me with hope, Tarethan?

I just report what I see, TUM. Just make sure you watch for stray arrows next time you fall out of that tree.
Tarethen

jRPG Newsman
Shining Legend

Postby TheUnknownMarine » Mon Oct 30 2017 6:00am

Tarethen wrote:
TheUnknownMarine wrote:Why do you torture me with hope, Tarethan?

I just report what I see, TUM. Just make sure you watch for stray arrows next time you fall out of that tree.

We'll see about that. I can't fall OUT of the tree... if there are NO MORE TREES TO BEGIN WITH!
TheUnknownMarine

Master Narrator
Shining Legend

Postby Kalkano » Tue Oct 31 2017 1:47am

Shining Force 4, for PS4 and Switch, which continues the story of SF3 with Galm.

*never-gonna-happen depressed sigh*
Currently playing for the first time: Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE
Currently re-playing: Nothing

Shining Force 3: Chronology (YouTube Series Here)

"Honesty has a beautiful and refreshing simplicity about it. No hidden meanings. No hidden agendas. As honesty and integrity characterize our lives there will be no need to manipulate others."

"Honesty has a beautiful and refreshing simplicity about it. No hidden meanings. No hidden agendas. As honesty and integrity characterize our lives there will be no need to manipulate others."
Kalkano

Shining Commander
Shining Hero

Postby chevkraken » Tue Oct 31 2017 7:00pm

Sega would be ok for a new Shining by Camelot only if they accept somes thing I think.
1.Tony Taka as chara designer
2.Updated gameplay based on Sakura wars, Valkyria Chronicles and Shining Blade Gameplay.
3.Not a sequel of Shining force 3, but a reboot or a sequel of modern Shining
4.More in the spirit of Shining force 1 and 2 than Shining force 3

If the team want old school Design and gameplay, it would be no for Sega as nobody in japan want oldschool shining and the western public is very niche.
chevkraken

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Kalkano » Tue Oct 31 2017 10:08pm

chevkraken wrote:Sega would be ok for a new Shining by Camelot only if they accept somes thing I think.
2.Updated gameplay based on Sakura wars, Valkyria Chronicles and Shining Blade Gameplay.

If the team want old school Design and gameplay, it would be no for Sega as nobody in japan want oldschool shining and the western public is very niche.

1) I wouldn't be happy about it, but it's a sacrifice I'd be willing to make. I just really hope the Takahashi brothers would handle the story (so it could be taken seriously).

2) Fire Emblem works, so why wouldn't Shining Force?

3) I don't see why. They could continue the story of Galm, and it would be a situation where you don't HAVE to play 3 to understand what's going on.

4) Again, why? The only reason 3 is not the most popular game in the series, is that no one was really able to play it.

You are making a TON of baseless assumptions.

Kalkano

Shining Commander
Shining Hero

Postby Ansa » Fri Nov 03 2017 12:47pm

It's not going to happen, just because the guy wants to make a SF4 doesn't mean Sega is inclined to do so. I think we as a community have seen just how f*cking petty Sega is and they and Camelot did not end their relationship on good terms so as much as I'd love to see a real Shining Force 4 its not going to f*cking happen, not while the modern Sega still seems to give so little of a shit about the series and its future.
I have a youtube channel now that focuses on vlogs about things going on in the gaming industry!

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheNovelMike
I have a youtube channel now that focuses on vlogs about things going on in the gaming industry!

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheNovelMike
Ansa

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Marky » Fri Nov 03 2017 10:36pm

There is a remote possibility that Camelot and Sega could make up.
The Takahashi brothers would like to develop another Shining game, and they can't because of the animosity that they received from Sega and vice versa. Their company has changed and their feelings toward Sega may have changed over the last 20 years, especially if Sega of Japan and its employees ( CEO, president, directors, etc. ) changed and have staff that are entirely different with attitudes and feelings towards Camelot.

This sorta runs analagous to new leaders of countries who may hold grudges against one another.
But if leaders and government change, then there is a chance that grudges could be ameliorated.
Marky

Attending Physician
Shining Legend

Postby TheUnknownMarine » Sat Nov 04 2017 3:25am

I'd love to see something in the spirit of Shining Force 1, but they haven't done this in quite some time. EXA came the closest with the explanation of the ancient portals and the one ruin you explore, but an Ancient focused game focusing on the mesh of tech and magic that was core to SF1 hasn't been done in forever. It's all been focused on more traditional fantasy or steampunk elements.
TheUnknownMarine

Master Narrator
Shining Legend

Postby chevkraken » Sat Nov 04 2017 8:58pm

Kalkano wrote:
chevkraken wrote:Sega would be ok for a new Shining by Camelot only if they accept somes thing I think.

1) I wouldn't be happy about it, but it's a sacrifice I'd be willing to make. I just really hope the Takahashi brothers would handle the story (so it could be taken seriously).

2) Fire Emblem works, so why wouldn't Shining Force?

Because Shining force is not Fire emblem, it's a far smaller licence. An oldschool Shining would just be a clone of Fire emblem. Except few hardcore fan. Nobody would play the game when there is already Fire emblem.

And more it's not the Sega spirit to make old school gameplay. Shining force 1,2 and 3 where much more innovating than Fire emblem or Langrisser. Sakura wars 3 was a big innovation for his time, Same thing for Dragonforce, In 2008, Sega made one more time a revolution in SRPG with Valkyria Chronicles.

It's how Sega work, Sega just make game who innovate...

3) I don't see why. They could continue the story of Galm, and it would be a situation where you don't HAVE to play 3 to understand what's going on.

3 reasons:
1.Because Shining force 3 made the worse sales in the series, even in japan where Saturn was very popular and Shining series always made most of their sales.(I want to point than Sakura Wars, released after Shining force 3 scenario 2 made 550000 sales)
Japan people don't want and don't love Shining force 3 and they are the main public of the Shining series.

2.Shining force 3 was released 20 years ago, making a sequel of this game would be only for a very niche public who played the original game

3.There is a public for the modern shining, Sega can't ignore them as they are now the main public of the series

4) Again, why? The only reason 3 is not the most popular game in the series, is that no one was really able to play it.

No like I said, Shining force 3 was a failure even in japan where many games realeased in same time where very popular (Dragon force, Sakura wars)

In japan the Shining the fans love are modern Shining or Shining Force 1 (Max, the Ancient and Adam being even now often hinted in modern Shining, the character of Shining force 3 never)

My assomptions are not baseless, they are based on marketing assomption made by a better knowledge of the market.

but an Ancient focused game focusing on the mesh of tech and magic that was core to SF1 hasn't been done in forever. It's all been focused on more traditional fantasy or steampunk elements.

In Shining Blade and Ark, Sakuya is said to be part of the ancient. Rage the hero of Shining blade is also a descendant of the Ancient, Shining Ark have Adam and Freed is implied to be related to Max.
And the Ark in Shining Ark is a spaceship crashed longtime ago.
And actually, there is no steampunk element in modern Shining, all element related to the ancient in them are tech element, it's still the core of the universe.

For the positive, I want to point than Treasure and Compile, the 2 other society in the Interview have very good relationship with Sega.

Shining Hearts and Blade were made by ex Treasure member, and Treasure made many game for Sega the ten last years.
And one of the main RPG series made by Compile is about a never released Sega hardware who take is revenge by saving Nintendo, Microsoft and S*ny from the Piracy. They even made a cross over game with Seha hard girl.

Having Camelot president to this event implie he is in good relationship with Sega too.
chevkraken

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Dezorian » Sun Nov 05 2017 9:16pm

How about we post several videos on youtube just mentioning that news about that interest about a possible Shining Force 4? Any publicity is better than none. As far as I see it there is no real Shining Force love going around on youtube as of this moment.
Petitions, etc? Anything to show those gentleman some support?
Dezorian

Postby Kalkano » Mon Nov 06 2017 4:13am

Yes, we could ask them to "Save Our Series". ;)

Kalkano

Shining Commander
Shining Hero

Postby rodrigovazquez420 » Mon Nov 06 2017 7:36pm

Is this feeling called hope?

Postby the tall guy » Tue Nov 07 2017 8:53pm

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed.
“I can resist everything except temptation”
“I can resist everything except temptation”
the tall guy

Pyromaniac
Shining Legend

Postby Hawksaber » Sun Nov 12 2017 9:20pm

There is no better time than now, especially with games like Shenue III being funded by Kickstarter campaigns. If Sega gets their head out of their ass, maybe they'll grant permission for a HD old school style Shining Force sequel. Sonic Mania is a good indicator that they make money from nostalgia.
Hawksaber

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Ashley » Mon Nov 13 2017 12:25am

The existence of Sonic Mania (released in the same year as Sonic Forces) gives me a teeny bit of hope that Sega might allow Camelot to make a traditional style Shining Force game (probably 2D) in parallel to the ongoing modern series.
Ashley

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Kalkano » Mon Nov 13 2017 6:22am

Ashley wrote:The existence of Sonic Mania (released in the same year as Sonic Forces) gives me a teeny bit of hope that Sega might allow Camelot to make a traditional style Shining Force game (probably 2D) in parallel to the ongoing modern series.

If they were just going to shove some 2D shovelware out there, I'd fail to see the point in doing it at all.

Kalkano

Shining Commander
Shining Hero

Return to All Things Shining