Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums All Things Shining
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Tsuyoshi Sawada no longer producer...

NEW 'Shining' game to be anounced...

If your topic relates to more than one Shining game, post it here!

Tsuyoshi Sawada no longer producer...

Postby rid1ey » Sat Aug 12 2017 1:58pm

probably old news but I'm pretty sure I read somewhere online that Tsuyoshi Sawada is no longer the producer of 'Shining' games at SEGA ...and a new title is to be announced at the Tokyo Game Show this September 2017

http://gematsu.com/2017/07/shining-seri ... ement-week

http://segabits.com/blog/2017/07/24/shi ... ment-soon/

these are some relevant links but can't find the piece on Tsuyoshi Sawada...
Xbox 360 Gamertag: rid1ey
3DS Friend Code: 1736-1423-5797
Switch Friend code: SW-6146-8724-6311
rid1ey

Re: Tsuyoshi Sawada no longer producer...

Postby chevkraken » Sun Aug 13 2017 1:28am

actually, he even deleted his twitter account, and mobygames reveal his last video games participation are on Xenoblade X and Zelda breath of the wild.

So I assume Tsuyoshi sawada don't work anymore for Sega but for nintendo
chevkraken

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby rid1ey » Sun Aug 13 2017 1:04pm

chevkraken wrote:actually, he even deleted his twitter account, and mobygames reveal his last video games participation are on Xenoblade X and Zelda breath of the wild.

So I assume Tsuyoshi sawada don't work anymore for Sega but for nintendo

thanks for confirming that chevkraken - would have thought most on here would be jumping for joy, no?

looking forward to seeing what direction the 'Shining' series is going to go in.
rid1ey

Postby DiegoMM » Sun Aug 13 2017 2:41pm

If tony taka is still making the art, I think will be more of the same.
Interesting articles about true things shining: http://www.everystudent.com/
Interesting articles about true things shining: http://www.everystudent.com/
DiegoMM

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Kaihaku » Wed Aug 16 2017 8:06pm

I have a feeling Sawada wasn't the only reason the series has stopped getting international releases... Sega seems to have decided that Shining and Phantasy aren't worth localizing. :( I was hoping that would change when they absorbed Atlus but...
The Once and Future Kai
"The quick brown vox jumps ofer the lazy dog"
The Once and Future Kai
Kaihaku

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby rid1ey » Tue Aug 22 2017 7:04pm

the DNA of the series slowly diminished but I personally don't hold T2 accountable that was surely Sawada.
rid1ey

Postby chevkraken » Mon Sep 04 2017 1:31am

It was not Sawada neither. Force Neo, Exa and Chronicles are even less true to the original game that the Sawada one and don't even try to share a cohérent mythology and Sawada was not behind them.

Sawada even produced Shining blade who was what was the more faithful to a a true remake/reboot of Shining force the project name of Shining blage blade was even "Shining Fourth" (for the japanese, this is the same prononciation than Shining force and also mean Shining the Fouth, so Shining force 4)

And actually since the release of Valkyria Chronicles, many peoples wanted the team of the game making a new Shining Force (even beforce Valkyria for some peoples as the team behind Valkyria and Shining blade was also the one behind Sakura wars and Dragon Force)

And Don't forget Tony dragged some of his friend to the serie( the composer of Shining Hearts/blade/Ark is also the main composer of the Eroge where Tony was the main artist, so he have a role in the new direction of the games.

And the person who asked the change of chara designer at first was not Sawada, it was Tamaki (Sawada said it during a Shining tears interview, Tamaki didn't want to continue the chara design of the series, thinking he was too oldschool and wanted the chara design to be in the hand of Fresh Blood to drag Shining series in modern era)

And after that, yeah, it was who Sawada wanted to continue what Tamaki wanted the new team give their own identies to the saga and not just follow the work of peoples who gave up the serie and don't intend to return to it.
So he let the team working on Shining make the games they want and love and take the control of the series.
Shining Hearts was a really personal project for the director of the game, it was the spiritual successor of a game he released during the Playstation era. He tried to publish it during years but nobody wanted to publish it but as Sawada wanted the team making the game they love, he let the game to be published with some ajustement(Tony design and some story element implanted) as a part of Shining series.

Actually I don't see the problem with that
chevkraken

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby rid1ey » Tue Sep 05 2017 6:04pm

chevkraken wrote:It was not Sawada neither. Force Neo, Exa and Chronicles are even less true to the original game that the Sawada one and don't even try to share a cohérent mythology and Sawada was not behind them.

Sawada even produced Shining blade who was what was the more faithful to a a true remake/reboot of Shining force the project name of Shining blage blade was even "Shining Fourth" (for the japanese, this is the same prononciation than Shining force and also mean Shining the Fouth, so Shining force 4)

And actually since the release of Valkyria Chronicles, many peoples wanted the team of the game making a new Shining Force (even beforce Valkyria for some peoples as the team behind Valkyria and Shining blade was also the one behind Sakura wars and Dragon Force)

And Don't forget Tony dragged some of his friend to the serie( the composer of Shining Hearts/blade/Ark is also the main composer of the Eroge where Tony was the main artist, so he have a role in the new direction of the games.

And the person who asked the change of chara designer at first was not Sawada, it was Tamaki (Sawada said it during a Shining tears interview, Tamaki didn't want to continue the chara design of the series, thinking he was too oldschool and wanted the chara design to be in the hand of Fresh Blood to drag Shining series in modern era)

And after that, yeah, it was who Sawada wanted to continue what Tamaki wanted the new team give their own identies to the saga and not just follow the work of peoples who gave up the serie and don't intend to return to it.
So he let the team working on Shining make the games they want and love and take the control of the series.
Shining Hearts was a really personal project for the director of the game, it was the spiritual successor of a game he released during the Playstation era. He tried to publish it during years but nobody wanted to publish it but as Sawada wanted the team making the game they love, he let the game to be published with some ajustement(Tony design and some story element implanted) as a part of Shining series.

Actually I don't see the problem with that

thanks for your response chevkraken - i should add as much as i hold the classic games in high regard i can accept what's been released this century as a reboot and a lot more compelling than it's given credit for.

it has it's own DNA and i'm really enjoying going through the games i missed out on now i have the necessary consoles and there have been translations ect...

the main problem has been unobtainable releases (ps2 not import friendly) and the language barrier.

you seem to be the most informed and passionate on this site regarding the modern games and many of your posts have helped me a great deal understanding post camelot games.

actually, you posted on the shining tears forum about an interview with the (then) producer, however i can't access it as it's a download file - do you know of any other links? thanks chevkraken.
rid1ey

Postby chevkraken » Fri Sep 08 2017 2:42pm

I don't know why direct like don't work, try to type "shining tears interview sawada" in google, The 2 first link are sawada and tony interview.

Interview for Blade and Hearts have also been translated in Artbook released few years ago in US.
chevkraken

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby sulfuroxp » Mon Sep 25 2017 11:44am

and ... where is the new game?
sulfuroxp

Lost Shining Purple
Shining Legend

Postby Wulfunruh » Mon Sep 25 2017 4:48pm

Yeaaaaah. I didn't hear a worrrrd.
Wulfunruh

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby rid1ey » Tue Sep 26 2017 3:55pm

don't shoot the messenger
rid1ey

Postby Kaihaku » Tue Oct 03 2017 7:11pm

sulfuroxp wrote:and ... where is the new game?

Maybe he was referring to Shining Live?
https://translate.google.com/translate? ... rev=search
The Once and Future Kai
The Once and Future Kai
Kaihaku

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Wulfunruh » Thu Oct 05 2017 5:42pm

Nope, not funny. Not even a little.
Wulfunruh

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Kalkano » Tue Oct 17 2017 12:43am

While Sawada finally being gone is definitely good news (and I consider him to be the main problem with the series after SF3), I'm still not holding my breath for the series to suddenly revert back to something that I'll have the least bit of interest in.
Currently playing for the first time: Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE
Currently re-playing: Nothing

Shining Force 3: Chronology (YouTube Series Here)

"Honesty has a beautiful and refreshing simplicity about it. No hidden meanings. No hidden agendas. As honesty and integrity characterize our lives there will be no need to manipulate others."

"Honesty has a beautiful and refreshing simplicity about it. No hidden meanings. No hidden agendas. As honesty and integrity characterize our lives there will be no need to manipulate others."
Kalkano

Shining Commander
Shining Hero

Postby chevkraken » Tue Oct 17 2017 7:21pm

While Sawada finally being gone is definitely good news and I consider him to be the main problem with the series after SF3

he just saved the serie... without him, Shining series would have stopped in 2003

Shining Soul was made without him (and in Soul 2, he was just credited as Special thanks). And the two games made very few sales, same thing for ressurection of dark dragon (also made without him).

He was called to produce the series because the sales of the two titles were to low to maintain active the serie and if there was no reboot, the serie would have been stopped.

I want to point than except the 2 first Shining and Wisdom, the best selling Shining in the world were made under his direction. Blade and Hearts sold more in japan than Force 3, Force CD, in the Darkness or Holy Ark worldwide

And I also want to point than since he leave Sega, there is just no more Shining in production. The serie is just dead.

except very few hardcore fan, nobody is interested by Shining force. Sega is not going to produce game who don't sale,ROTDD just made 100000 sales worldwide while Fire emblem on the same machine made around 1 million. And it was 10 years ago, now it would be even worse, especially because many peoples love Sawada/Tony Shining and would not buy an oldschool Shining force(Oldschool Shining is just Fire emblem making it, why buying what Nintendo already make).
chevkraken

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Kalkano » Wed Oct 18 2017 6:15pm

As far as I'm concerned, the series ended after 1998.

Kalkano

Shining Commander
Shining Hero

Postby chevkraken » Sat Oct 21 2017 1:33am

So don't blame Tsuyoshi sawada, blame Camelot who stop to works on the serie. Blame Camelot to have made games who don't sell because they didn't want to make the Shining most of the people of the time loved(I want to point than Sakura wars and Dragon force series made much more sale than Shining force 3 even in west for Dragon Force)

Shining Force 3 and Shining the Holy ark were maybe 2 very good games but they were not the Shining the public of the Saturn wanted.
Shining Wisdom made between 300000 and 400000 sales just in japan, the mood of the game was much more popular.
They should have keeped the 16 bits mood of the saga and not trying to copy Fire Emblem
And the late release or the lack of promotion of Shining force 3 is not an excuse for the low sales.
Sakura wars 2 was released later than Shining force 3 with no more promo and made more than 500000 sales in japan.

Tsuyoshi Sawada was not the behind the fall of Shining Franchise, its Camelot who is behind.

And Tsuyoshi Sawada is not even the man who made the first reboot (or even all the modern games as Force Neo, Force Exa, Force Feather and Force Cross are not by him but by the producer of the terrible Valkyria Revolution)

Tsuyoshi Sawada just tried to modernise the licence with modern design, original storyline and modern gameplay(Shining Blade even if too easy was the Shining game than every fan of Valkyria and Shining franchise dreamt).

It's just what Sonic Team made with Phantasy Star by making Phantasy star Online and nobody complain
chevkraken

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Dr. Casey » Sun Oct 22 2017 5:05am

Kalkano wrote:As far as I'm concerned, the series ended after 1998.

I haven't played any Shining games since Shining Soul 1 and 2 Holy mother of god was Shining Soul 1 bad., but I'm guessing there's something Shining-related from the past 20 years that I would enjoy well enough. Some of the games like Wind and Tear and such look solid enough, and I wasn't exactly 100 percent on board with the originals anyway since Strategy RPGs have never been completely my thing. Shining Force 2 in particular had a lot of boring overworld battles that just made me think "ugh" whenever they came up instead of being excited (though that was balanced out by more interesting battles like... pretty much anything that isn't an overworld battle; the Chess battle, the late game tower fights, etc).
Dr. Casey

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Return to All Things Shining