Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Soul II
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Which character do you prefer?

Discuss the second installment of the Shining (Soul) series for GBA!

Which character do you usually chose when you start a new game?

Warrior
10%
Sorceress
10%
Dark Wizard
16%
Dragonute
12%
Priestess
12%
Ninja
10%
Archer
12%
Brawler
20%

Total votes : 51

Postby Dark Angel » Thu Apr 20 2006 10:36am

me, usualy chose the Brawler, Sorceress, Priestess, or Dragonute... but most of the times it's a Brawler...
Boosh
Boosh
Dark Angel

Postby Lord Oddeye sama » Thu Apr 20 2006 12:20pm

Though I'm not fond of the Shining Soul games and now bored of this one since I finished the normal mode months ago, my favorite class is the Dark Wizard. One of the finest addition compared to the previous game.
I despise berzerk attitude.
¿ ? The OddBlood ¿ ?
/ Because Life is Odd. \
Secretary of Odds and Ends, Rainblood Secessionists
Jinx unto ye!

Wargasm @ Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:26 am wrote:Vous êtes tous douches. J'aime le monde des poissons bleus.

Do you like Shining Force 1? Do you like orchestral remixes? Then this is for you: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24551#p668069
I despise berzerk attitude.
¿ ? The OddBlood ¿ ?
/ Because Life is Odd. \
Secretary of Odds and Ends, Rainblood Secessionists
Jinx unto ye!

Wargasm @ Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:26 am wrote:Vous êtes tous douches. J'aime le monde des poissons bleus.

Do you like Shining Force 1? Do you like orchestral remixes? Then this is for you: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24551#p668069
Lord Oddeye sama

Legendary Greater Devil
Shining Legend

Re: Which character do you prefer?

Postby Cullsoft » Thu Apr 20 2006 1:33pm

From the other "favourite/best character" thread.

Culley O'Fursdom @ Sat Apr 16, 2005 1:47 pm) wrote:To go back on topic, I vote for Priestess. Rocking attack ability with Flails, great self-sustainability with healing and support magic, and can wield a lot of equipment from both the "magic user" and "fighter" types. Only real downside is she may wind up taking more damage than most other classes would, and she doesn't really have a long-range attack (though her Flail skill can be used to "rush into" an enemy)
----- Culley's Shop RPG Trading Post & Figurine Emporium -----
- Warrior Pride, Dynamite & other items for sale
- Various figures for trading
- Seeking Grace, Alef and May figurines, also Power Waters, Lucky Cookies and rare goods
Click here for trading rates & more information
- Seeking Grace, Alef and May figurines, also Power Waters, Lucky Cookies and rare goods
Cullsoft

Shining Furce
Shining Legend

Postby Rick » Thu Apr 20 2006 11:07pm

the char i've got on best with has been my sorceress to be honest...

Inferno and Freeze is about all she needs spellswise
Rick's 10K Run Blog

SF Community Project. Come have a looksie

Chaos Wizard wrote:I prefer beauty more then Virginal. But no skanks. :angry:

masquirinsears wrote:wow that rick, he's so hot right now, rick...

-----
Shining Force: Ancient Pathways RPG
Cole - Lv. 11 WARR
HP: 21/21 |||||||||||||||||||||
-----
Rick's 10K Run Blog

SF Community Project. Come have a looksie

Chaos Wizard wrote:I prefer beauty more then Virginal. But no skanks. :angry:

masquirinsears wrote:wow that rick, he's so hot right now, rick...

-----
Shining Force: Ancient Pathways RPG
Cole - Lv. 11 WARR
HP: 21/21 |||||||||||||||||||||
-----
Rick

Lionheart
Shining Legend

Postby Demonic Weasel » Fri Apr 21 2006 3:18am

I haven't played this game that much thanks to Wizari as she always kills me damnit. But I'd probably vote for the ninja. No real reason as I haven't had time to test out many characters. Mostly just because I like him graphically.
weasels you pansy

uh...
weasels you pansy

uh...
Demonic Weasel

Waterlord
Shining Legend

Postby Caramon » Thu Apr 27 2006 10:35am

I like the Ninja, I havin't played Shining Soul II much, I don't infact have it. I played it at my friends house. I have always liked ninja's so there in my favour.
Since '05
Since '05
Caramon

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby CarlitoCCool » Thu Apr 27 2006 7:37pm

I prefer the Dark Wizzard!
He is so COOL!!!!!
It`t time to play the GAME!
CarlitoCCool

Postby Caramon » Thu Apr 27 2006 7:40pm

CarlitoCCool @ Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:37 pm) wrote: I prefer the Dark Wizzard!
He is so COOL!!!!!

True, He Would Be My Second Choice.
Since '05
Since '05
Caramon

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby CarlitoCCool » Thu Apr 27 2006 7:46pm

I often Choose the Magic type because it`s often difficultier to play with them!
And waht`s difficultier is always more playfun! :thumbsup: :)
CarlitoCCool

Postby Meddyan » Sat May 06 2006 12:57am

Brawler most of the time, its just fun as hell to make mincemeat out of everything.

But by far the easier trip i've had through the game is the Sorceress. Blaze is just ungodly powerful and simple. Charge, release, destroy. Decent range, decent damage, decent size, decent charge rate (its scary with -Cast Time stuff), small SP cost, piercing, chance of an additional 50% damage... its insane. You can clear most undead places in a snap, Chaos Castle Reapers are nothing to fear anymore. If it weren't for fire resistants, you'd almost never need any other spell.

Priestess is fun and relatively easy too, and with a Shining-central build, can be nigh invincible for the majority of the game. Untill it catches up with you with some Light Resistants and in Advance Mode. Thats when you'll feel the pain.
Sir, I just have to point out that you smell. No. Yes. Sorry. I'll shut up.
Sir, I just have to point out that you smell. No. Yes. Sorry. I'll shut up.
Meddyan

Postby Ømega » Sun May 07 2006 10:04pm

Personally, im an bow-and-arrow kinda person lolz?

Which is why i picked archer. its so beastly at lvl 200 its gross. same with ninja.
think about it, a dragonute maxes out at 999 dmg, but they hit very slowly.
think if a ninja was lvl 200, hitting 600s, 700s, or even 800s, with rapid-fire knives
that destroys like everything

What im saying is, archers and ninjas hit more frequently than dragonutes and other characters do. which means over time, they do more damage. so think during a period of 10 seconds a dragonute might hit maybe... 5 times?
a ninja will hit a probable 15 - 18 times at least with knives. So if a dragonute maxes at 999, we'll round to 1000 so it's easier to calculate, and a ninja hits let's say 500's at least at lvl 200 then the dragonute will do about 5000 damage in 10 seconds whereas a ninja will duke out 7500 to 9000 damage in 10 seconds.

Note: this is without charges

My archer's lvl 179 and going! w00t plx?
OK, the boss is up next, do you have all the items you nee-

^_^ oooooh!!! loot!!!

... ¬_¬
... hold still while I stab you...

-_-; *grabs loot* *Angel Wings out*
HAHA WHAT NOW?

-_-* You're stalling time hurry up.

Ok, ok, coming...
*comes back*

About time... Ready?... *Throws molotov cocktail*
Ok now we can go.

^_^ oooooh!!! loot!!!

... ¬_¬

HAHA WHAT NOW?

Ok, ok, coming...
*comes back*

Ok now we can go.
Ømega

Postby Bajikall » Wed May 24 2006 1:50am

I usually go with the Brawler due to how insanely powerful you are with a mastered Blood Knife charge. Then just use the Apostate set and a Fiend's Necklace. You're almost invincible with that setup, and you look cool to boot.

If I'm not using the Brawler, then I suppose the Priestess, the Warrior, or the Ninja. The Warrior is pretty well-balanced, so I can have fun using him for lots of stuff. His selection of weapons is good for almost every condition if used properly. I use his spear for bosses because of it's charge's rapid stabbing action, the sword's fast swipe for hit and run tactics against magic users, and the axe for either knocking back enemies when I'm surrounded, or for one hit killing anything with lower health. He also has insane defense when given level three forged armor, so he can be very hard to kill off. The Ninja is brilliantly fast and using some of his magic can be quite amusing. I don't always find it helpful, but if I'm bored and want to drop some boulders on someone, I'll go ahead and use it. I don't find his knives to helpful because of the short range, but his swords have an excellent charge attack. A mastered charge coupled with backstab will be getting you 999s a lot. Oh, and the priestess is simply amazing. Her Shining Aura is quite damaging against creatures with weakness to Light, and if I'm fighting Light resistant creatures, I'll just pull out my flail and do heavy damage. 'Sides, expensive healing items aren't needed due to heal.

Meh, any of the characters in the game can be just as good as the others if used properly.
Shazam. I return.
Shazam. I return.
Bajikall

Postby Jun » Thu Oct 19 2006 1:45am

Bajikall @ Tue May 23, 2006 5:50 pm) wrote:If I'm not using the Brawler, then I suppose the Priestess, the Warrior, or the Ninja. The Warrior is pretty well-balanced, so I can have fun using him for lots of stuff. His selection of weapons is good for almost every condition if used properly. I use his spear for bosses because of it's charge's rapid stabbing action, the sword's fast swipe for hit and run tactics against magic users, and the axe for either knocking back enemies when I'm surrounded, or for one hit killing anything with lower health.

Early on, though, wouldn't you say it's better to stick with one weapon and beef that up? In that case, which of those 3 do you usually start with? And, if you do level up each one after a while, at what rate do you do so? Maxing one before the other, or levelling them up equally?

Bajikall @ Tue May 23, 2006 5:50 pm) wrote:The Ninja is brilliantly fast and using some of his magic can be quite amusing... I don't find his knives to helpful because of the short range, but his swords have an excellent charge attack.

His knife has a default of about the archer's range at level 3. Not bad, I'd say, since that's where I left my archer's range at and it's just fine so far.

Bajikall @ Tue May 23, 2006 5:50 pm) wrote:A [ninja's] mastered charge coupled with backstab will be getting you 999s a lot.

Actually, at what point would you be able to do a full charge attack with backstab? Isn't it that, unlike shield, when you get hit and turn into a block of wood, you have to restart your charge attack level? Assuming that that's how you use backstab to hit enemies with since they often don't like to look the other way once they know you're coming...

Bajikall @ Tue May 23, 2006 5:50 pm) wrote:Oh, and the priestess is simply amazing. .. 'Sides, expensive healing items aren't needed due to heal.

Using healing items is faster, though, and doesn't use up SP nor heal a minimal amount of HP when you don't have enough time to get away and heal in an emergency, not that you should ever get in one with a flail, but... it's a possibility, particularly in advance mode when enemies move faster and have more HP.

IMO, it's skill points better spent in the other skills you'll be using. The only reason I have heal is because it's paired up nicely with Bless since, when the effects wear off, I won't have wasted a healing water if I didn't get hurt below my set HP.
Martin III @ Mon Oct 02 @ 2006 3:51 am wrote:"Max, who had turned to evil and used cursed weapons, summons Dark Dragon himself!"

"Thus did Dark Dragon once more unleash his evil upon Rune, laying waste to all civilization."

*clap clap clap*
Martin III @ Mon Oct 02 @ 2006 3:51 am wrote:"Max, who had turned to evil and used cursed weapons, summons Dark Dragon himself!"

"Thus did Dark Dragon once more unleash his evil upon Rune, laying waste to all civilization."

*clap clap clap*
Jun

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Cullsoft » Thu Oct 19 2006 6:24pm

tanjun2 @ Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:45 am) wrote: Using healing items is faster, though, and doesn't use up SP nor heal a minimal amount of HP when you don't have enough time to get away and heal in an emergency, not that you should ever get in one with a flail, but... it's a possibility, particularly in advance mode when enemies move faster and have more HP.

Admittedly, there are a few times when instant healing beats casting Heal (coughTornadoCough), but why not use both? By the second half of Advanced mode, I try to make sure I've got 3-4 Healing Waters in th inventory in case I wind up in a fix with SP (and similarly, I try to keep a couple of Ray of Hopes at hand if SP becomes dire). I wind up doing a fair bit fo treasure hunting/item hoarding when I play (annoyingly, even when it's unnecessary), so I always find it annoying when I have barely any space for item collecting and don't like filling my inventory with way too many recovery items (as I find is the case with other classes - particularly those without HP regen).

Besides, I find that if I've just exhausted a ton of SP on a group of enemies and need a bit fo a recharge, it's a good healthy point for me to take my eyes off the screen for a few minutes while my character sits in a safe spot and recharges HP or SP, which usually solves the problem of rinsing out my SP too quickly.
Cullsoft

Shining Furce
Shining Legend

Postby Jun » Fri Oct 20 2006 3:06am

Nice little break for your eyes, eh? That actually sounds good for those of us who get engrossed in the game and forget about the time...

I'm somewhat of a neat freak, so I tend to organize my things so they look all pretty at the bottom of my massively-larger-on-the-inside bag of stuff; for my healer, they're 5 healing waters on the 2nd to last row, and then 3 soul returns followed by 2 angel wings. I'm not much for hoarding unless I find that I'm using more than I thought I'd be using, in which case, if I run out, I just angel wing my way out to sell extra items and restock.

I almost never play advanced mode unless it's on multiplayer, simply b/c lil sis gets mad if I get too far ahead on anything we could do together.

*clap clap clap*

*clap clap clap*
Jun

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Ømega » Sun Oct 22 2006 9:38pm

You can speed up the process for SP regen with blizzard set, +3 sp regen, and psychic pendant, +1 sp regen, with your lvl 7 meditate

effectively you'll have level 11 meditate lol, it's pretty rediculous.

oh and on a side note, my archer's level 200 ^_^ and as posted a while ago, yes it is disgusting: each arrow hits about 250-400, with crit hit set, i hit 700s-900s crit

^_^ oooooh!!! loot!!!

... ¬_¬

HAHA WHAT NOW?

Ok, ok, coming...
*comes back*

Ok now we can go.

^_^ oooooh!!! loot!!!

... ¬_¬

HAHA WHAT NOW?

Ok, ok, coming...
*comes back*

Ok now we can go.
Ømega

Postby flaming-wind » Fri Feb 23 2007 11:57pm

I use brawler, cuz he overall has the best stats of all the close combat ppl
The Internet Is not A Big Truck. It's A Series Of Tubes.
The Internet Is not A Big Truck. It's A Series Of Tubes.
flaming-wind

Postby Green Knight » Sat Apr 07 2007 7:53am

tanjun2 @ Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:45 pm) wrote:Actually, at what point would you be able to do a full charge attack with backstab? Isn't it that, unlike shield, when you get hit and turn into a block of wood, you have to restart your charge attack level? Assuming that that's how you use backstab to hit enemies with since they often don't like to look the other way once they know you're coming...

The ninja can slide backwards into the enemy with a charged sword attack which triggers the backstab ability. It's a bit tricky to pull off, but it works.
Also, if you are lucky (or have no luck and have the unlucky hood equipped) and can play multi player, you could use backstab the way it was designed for.

I voted Warrior. When I first got the game though, I picked Ninja first because I thought I had an idea of what the Warrior was like from the first Shining Soul game.
Well. I like both Warrior and Ninja.
"Though shalt not want what another is wearing." ~ Klantol saying
Green Knight

Postby Jun » Sat Apr 07 2007 5:50pm

Green Knight @ Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:53 pm) wrote: The ninja can slide backwards into the enemy with a charged sword attack which triggers the backstab ability. It's a bit tricky to pull off, but it works.

Wow, I didn't know that! I always figured backstab meant YOU stabbing the ENEMY in their back.

So what you're saying is that it's actually you having YOUR back to the enemy? Hmm!

*clap clap clap*

*clap clap clap*
Jun

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Green Knight » Mon Apr 09 2007 6:24am

tanjun2 @ Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:50 am) wrote:So what you're saying is that it's actually you having YOUR back to the enemy? Hmm!

Yes. It works both ways, attacking the enemies in the back and with your back to the enemy. I guess programming-wise, as long as both player and enemy are facing the same direction. Good luck back stabbing with the knife in single player mode.
Green Knight

Next

Return to Shining Soul II