Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Soul II
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

What is the best character type?

Discuss the second installment of the Shining (Soul) series for GBA!

What is the best character type?

Warrior
10%
Sorceress
8%
Brawler
30%
Ninja
17%
Dark Wizard(male)
5%
Dark Wizard(female)
3%
Priestess
6%
Dragonute
11%
Archer
10%

Total votes : 63

Re: What is the best character type?

Postby ptracey » Thu Jul 10 2008 4:21pm

Yeah, unfortunately it's the only Shining game I currently own. But Martin informed me that I can get more from the Wii Shop Channel, so I plan on doing that ASAP once I get my Wi-Fi internet fixed.

Well if I was going to get one of them to 200, I'd have to say the Brawler, but only becuase I still haven't maxed Blaze on my Sorceress. My friend who's first character was his Sorceress, already has her around 130+. And she just runs through Chaos Tower OHKOing everything! But still, she's only leveling about once every two runs through the place. :blush:

I'm not sure if I'll ever get my Brawler and Sorceress to 200, but I'm not saying it's not possible. I don't really play any other GBA games becuase they all end once you beat it. That's what i like about SSII, even once you've beaten the gane, you can still get stronger! :excited:
Current Level 100+:
-Sorceress
-Brawler
-Priestess

Currently Training:
-Priestess
-Warrior
Current Level 100+:
-Sorceress
-Brawler
-Priestess

Currently Training:
-Priestess
-Warrior
ptracey

Postby Jun » Fri Jul 18 2008 7:43pm

So... just how strong are you now? :) (Stats, plz~)
Martin III @ Mon Oct 02 @ 2006 3:51 am wrote:"Max, who had turned to evil and used cursed weapons, summons Dark Dragon himself!"

"Thus did Dark Dragon once more unleash his evil upon Rune, laying waste to all civilization."

*clap clap clap*
Martin III @ Mon Oct 02 @ 2006 3:51 am wrote:"Max, who had turned to evil and used cursed weapons, summons Dark Dragon himself!"

"Thus did Dark Dragon once more unleash his evil upon Rune, laying waste to all civilization."

*clap clap clap*
Jun

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Cullsoft » Fri Jul 18 2008 8:15pm

JunXD @ Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:57 am) wrote: It's nice to see someone (and Martin) still playing this game. Who'd you prefer between your two lv100+ chars?

Oi oi, I've been playing this tons over the last month or so! ;)

That said, it's on the umpteenth playthrough with Prim, so sometime I ought to try playing with one of the other classes for more than half of Normal mode...
----- Culley's Shop RPG Trading Post & Figurine Emporium -----
- Warrior Pride, Dynamite & other items for sale
- Various figures for trading
- Seeking Grace, Alef and May figurines, also Power Waters, Lucky Cookies and rare goods
Click here for trading rates & more information
- Seeking Grace, Alef and May figurines, also Power Waters, Lucky Cookies and rare goods
Cullsoft

Shining Furce
Shining Legend

Postby Martin III » Sat Jul 19 2008 12:55am

That's right, Prim is a kyantol, isn't she?

But yeah, the other classes are lots of fun from what I've seen. I'm just starting out with a warrior.
"Sir Reginald, Duke of Chutney! ...And don't stick your tongue out at me, kid." - Disney's Robin Hood

"Hey, where's my Holy Grail?!" - Shining Tears X Wind
"Sir Reginald, Duke of Chutney! ...And don't stick your tongue out at me, kid." - Disney's Robin Hood

Martin III

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Jun » Sat Jul 19 2008 5:59am

Culley O'Fursdom @ Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:15 pm) wrote: Oi oi, I've been playing this tons over the last month or so! ;)

Haha, glad you are and wanting to discuss with us :) Btw, where are kyantols from? I don't remember them from SF 1 or 2.

What weapon (or spell) did you focus on for Prim and how did you like it?

And what are you training with, Martin?

*clap clap clap*

*clap clap clap*
Jun

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Cullsoft » Sat Jul 19 2008 8:15am

JunXD @ Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:59 am) wrote: Haha, glad you are and wanting to discuss with us :) Btw, where are kyantols from? I don't remember them from SF 1 or 2.

What weapon (or spell) did you focus on for Prim and how did you like it?

You wouldn't find them in SHF2, but I'm hoping the similar appearance of Khris and Prim will click that the Kyantols have been about since pretty much the start (just not as abundantly as they seem to be in Klantol). There's also Sarah from SHFCD, Minto from FC, Grace from SHF3 and the Item Trader in SS1... and if you're willing to stoop to accepting it, Chiquita in SFN.

With Prim, I pretty much major as a Flail fighter. I'll admit that I haven't given Rods a decent amount of focus (too many stat points needed to get them to a decent level), but with the right Flail in hand Prim seems to plough through most enemies. Downside is, as pointed out, that this can throw her into the middle of a group too easily (especially if she misses or only grazes an enemy), which can let her get beaten down easily in Advance mode.

As for spells, in the past I've pretty much stuck to Heal and Resist, but on my current play I've also been putting a fair bit of focus into Bless and, after finding out that Defence is what Tornado's damage is based on, Protect; they're making me happy, and I'm not dying... as often as I had done on previous games. Too eager to get into a good scrap. ;) I'm also holding back on Meditate; normally I'd be trying to push the skill as high as I can, but this time I've been leaving it at around L2-3 for most of the game, relying on Rays of Hope, trips to the Klantol Inn and breaks away from my DS to recharge. :)
Cullsoft

Shining Furce
Shining Legend

Postby Jun » Sun Jul 20 2008 2:34am

Culley O'Fursdom @ Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:15 am) wrote:As for spells, in the past I've pretty much stuck to Heal and Resist, but on my current play I've also been putting a fair bit of focus into Bless and, after finding out that Defence is what Tornado's damage is based on, Protect; they're making me happy, and I'm not dying... as often as I had done on previous games. Too eager to get into a good scrap. ;) I'm also holding back on Meditate; normally I'd be trying to push the skill as high as I can, but this time I've been leaving it at around L2-3 for most of the game, relying on Rays of Hope, trips to the Klantol Inn and breaks away from my DS to recharge. :)

Oh wow, I'm glad to hear you invested points into Resist and Protect. I was too stubborn to go into Resist b/c I thought I could dodge / run away from spells well enough (turned out horribly wrong much later). Also, I was dead-set on maxing out a skill than balancing out for Protect, but with the way you've gone, I would definitely opt for what you did.

And like you said, makes for getting into scraps easier since you'll live longer ;)

In retrospect, I probably would stick to items over Meditate for those much needed skill points. Good call on the trips and breaks -- reminds me of what Martin (or you?) said about giving your eyes a break :)

Even with some flail incidents, there's something crunchingly satisfying about slamming into a mob, wouldn't you say? Although, if there was something to change about its charged attack, would you? Cute little kyantol Prim swinging a giant flail -- adorable, no? :love:

*clap clap clap*

*clap clap clap*
Jun

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Martin III » Tue Jul 22 2008 1:17am

JunXD @ Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:59 am) wrote: And what are you training with, Martin?

Both sword and spear for the moment; I can't really decide. The sword astonished me with how fast it is, so it seems the logical choice for dealing with bunches of enemies. On the other hand, right now my most powerful spear is a lot stronger than my most powerful sword, which would make it especially good against bosses. Even though I hate how the spear's attack sounds like a bird chirping. :damnit:

For the moment I'm mainly using the spear, but I'm allocating skill points to both to keep my options open. In spite of that, they are both more than powerful enough so far. It just astounds me how strong the warrior is. Although, I am having a hard time adjusting to having no form of auto-healing for my character.

Martin III

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Sin Jackal » Sun Mar 08 2009 10:00am

Brawler's definately capable of the fastest and nastiest killing. Not to mention he naturally heals, and is Guts ability makes him practically unkillable when it activates (it also stacks, if you use healing items and go back above half HP, then get knocked below, etc. Guts will keep stacking with the previous activation. Of course, each one has it's own duration, it doesn't reset every activation).

But Dragonute and Sorceress are capable of nice devestation too. Blast level 5-7 for the Sorceress is just embarrassingly powerful. And for the Dragonute, both of his weapons are worth using. The axe can clear out groups extremely fast, and the flail is very powerful against bosses. His defense is very high, in addition with having the best magic defense in the game. getting his normal resists up to 20, + getting magic res to level 3-4 gives him over 50% resist to all types of magic. Very powerful character.

I think I've beaten the game with those two with the lowest level than any other character.

Btw, Chaos Ring and Unlucky Hood ftw.
Then you leave me no choice but to challenge you to a game of Hungry Hungry Hippos. We shall draw the hippos, and my orange hippo, 'for I am always orange, will ravenously devour all the marbles in your Hasbro hippo pit, while your pathetic blue hippo snaps impotently at vacant air.
Then you leave me no choice but to challenge you to a game of Hungry Hungry Hippos. We shall draw the hippos, and my orange hippo, 'for I am always orange, will ravenously devour all the marbles in your Hasbro hippo pit, while your pathetic blue hippo snaps impotently at vacant air.
Sin Jackal

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby sulfuroxp » Sun Mar 08 2009 3:42pm

priest with Blessing, Heal, Shining Aura + Iron Balls weapons... is the best chara :thumbsup:
sulfuroxp

Lost Shining Purple
Shining Legend

Postby Salibu » Mon Jun 22 2009 11:02pm

Priestess seems the most dominate to me.

Lvl 7 Bless
Chrge up my Flail...destroy everything in sight....
Annual User ID Battle Creator:
2011 User ID Champion - Stordarth
2011 ToC Winner - Moogie > Stordarth
2012 User ID Champion - Rusty
2012 ToC Winner - Stordarth > Moogie > Rusty
2012 Tag Team Winner - Kaihaku / Noma
2012 Villain Contest - Galm
2013 User ID Champion - MXC
2013 ToC Winner - Stordarth > Moogie > MXC> Rusty
Annual User ID Battle Creator:
2011 User ID Champion - Stordarth
2011 ToC Winner - Moogie > Stordarth
2012 User ID Champion - Rusty
2012 ToC Winner - Stordarth > Moogie > Rusty
2012 Tag Team Winner - Kaihaku / Noma
2012 Villain Contest - Galm
2013 User ID Champion - MXC
2013 ToC Winner - Stordarth > Moogie > MXC> Rusty
Salibu

Fighting Logic with Confusion
Shining Legend

Postby Martin III » Tue Jun 23 2009 2:26am

Priestess with a flail is indeed a tornado of destruction.

Man, I've got to try out a couple more of these characters so I can finally vote in this thing...

Martin III

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Khizer#1 » Sat May 08 2010 7:45pm

Well i think the warrior is the best of them all due to high attack, good defense and the ability to use herbs better than other characters!
Khizer#1

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Kaihaku » Mon Feb 07 2011 11:01pm

Coming at this from a different angle... What's the best character type in regards to dialogue and plot?

Green_Thunder wrote:When I first bought this game, I based my character off of: "OK... Who has the best green color scheme?" and ended up choosing the dark wizzard, or in this case the bright green and orange wizard. :)

As you progress through the game, you have scripted events with a bad-guy named Gillespie (sorry is spelling is off) and he always had bits of text that seemed talored for, and only for the dark wizzard, calling you his brother and refering to your half vamp blood.

Soooooo... would you say that Arrmand is kinda the main character because of his access to unique dialogue?

Don't get me wrong. I understand that there are a lot of Ninja, Brawler ect. fans out there, and rightfully so because they're awesome, but I just feel that players are missing out on a pretty thick layer of story.

I'm thinking about picking this up, I've heard it's much better than the original Shining Soul and if I do I'd rather play the character type with the best dialogue rather than the character type that pwns the greatest amount. ;)
Kaihaku

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Rick » Mon Feb 07 2011 11:50pm

I personally have always had great success with the Dark Wizard...

All he needs is about 50 strength, the rest pile into intelligence and stamina...

And as for skills, Demon's Blaze and meditation is about it... you don't really need any others...

That being said, the fight against Chaos is difficult on advance due to the dark element of the Demon's Blaze
Rick's 10K Run Blog

SF Community Project. Come have a looksie

Chaos Wizard wrote:I prefer beauty more then Virginal. But no skanks. :angry:

masquirinsears wrote:wow that rick, he's so hot right now, rick...

-----
Shining Force: Ancient Pathways RPG
Cole - Lv. 11 WARR
HP: 21/21 |||||||||||||||||||||
-----
Rick's 10K Run Blog

SF Community Project. Come have a looksie

Chaos Wizard wrote:I prefer beauty more then Virginal. But no skanks. :angry:

masquirinsears wrote:wow that rick, he's so hot right now, rick...

-----
Shining Force: Ancient Pathways RPG
Cole - Lv. 11 WARR
HP: 21/21 |||||||||||||||||||||
-----
Rick

Lionheart
Shining Legend

Postby Salibu » Fri Feb 18 2011 12:45am

Kaihaku wrote:Coming at this from a different angle... What's the best character type in regards to dialogue and plot?

Green_Thunder wrote:When I first bought this game, I based my character off of: "OK... Who has the best green color scheme?" and ended up choosing the dark wizzard, or in this case the bright green and orange wizard. :)

As you progress through the game, you have scripted events with a bad-guy named Gillespie (sorry is spelling is off) and he always had bits of text that seemed talored for, and only for the dark wizzard, calling you his brother and refering to your half vamp blood.

Soooooo... would you say that Arrmand is kinda the main character because of his access to unique dialogue?

Don't get me wrong. I understand that there are a lot of Ninja, Brawler ect. fans out there, and rightfully so because they're awesome, but I just feel that players are missing out on a pretty thick layer of story.

I'm thinking about picking this up, I've heard it's much better than the original Shining Soul and if I do I'd rather play the character type with the best dialogue rather than the character type that pwns the greatest amount. ;)

Honestly, the plot is the exact same and so is dialogue for every character except the hidden character you unlock after beating it once which gives you a little more dialogue.

This is kind like Diablo on a handheld system. Loot galore and lots of character class custimization and this blows SS 1 out of the water.
Salibu

Fighting Logic with Confusion
Shining Legend

Postby rid1ey » Sun Apr 15 2018 12:27pm

Salibu wrote:
Kaihaku wrote:Coming at this from a different angle... What's the best character type in regards to dialogue and plot?

Honestly, the plot is the exact same and so is dialogue for every character except the hidden character you unlock after beating it once which gives you a little more dialogue.

This is kind like Diablo on a handheld system. Loot galore and lots of character class custimization and this blows SS 1 out of the water.

Is there any known game breaking customisation for the Dark Wizzard?

does anything else become available playing as Him ( aside from extra dialogue ) such as an alternate ending?
Switch Friend code: SW-6146-8724-6311
3DS Friend Code: 1736-1423-5795
Xbox 360 Gamertag: rid1ey
Switch Friend code: SW-6146-8724-6311
3DS Friend Code: 1736-1423-5795
Xbox 360 Gamertag: rid1ey
rid1ey

Shining Member
Shining Member

Previous

Return to Shining Soul II