Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force III
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

A request about a rumor

I need an answer from a credible source

Incorporating Scenarios 1, 2, 3 and the Premium Disc, all in one handy board!

Re: A request about a rumor

Postby BoneIdol » Thu Feb 17 2011 9:37am

Haven't really tested it out. But I would imagine stat gains at level ups would be non-existant. That is usually the case if you give a character who joins promoted an unpromoted class. :(

Like I said, when Sourceforge gets back up and I can get access to Yabause's sourcecode, I'm gonna get back on this and make it work with his Commander/General classes.
BoneIdol

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Lord Oddeye sama » Fri Feb 18 2011 2:46pm

So let's talk about.....

Garosh.

I'd like to put forward a theory about the -8 HP glitch found in one of those "eureka moments". ;) I'm not sure how SF3 handles stat gains but admitting it works like in SF2... For this part of his progression, what if Garosh's starting HP and projected HP are simply reversed? That would definitely give a negative stat gain. I doubt it'll help you find a flaw in the programming but it gives us something to talk about in the meantime. :)
I despise berzerk attitude.
¿ ? The OddBlood ¿ ?
/ Because Life is Odd. \
Secretary of Odds and Ends, Rainblood Secessionists
Jinx unto ye!

Wargasm @ Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:26 am wrote:Vous êtes tous douches. J'aime le monde des poissons bleus.

Do you like Shining Force 1? Do you like orchestral remixes? Then this is for you: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24551#p668069
¿ ? The OddBlood ¿ ?
/ Because Life is Odd. \
Jinx unto ye!

Wargasm @ Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:26 am wrote:Vous êtes tous douches. J'aime le monde des poissons bleus.

Do you like Shining Force 1? Do you like orchestral remixes? Then this is for you: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24551#p668069
Lord Oddeye sama

Legendary Greater Devil
Shining Legend

Postby BoneIdol » Fri Feb 18 2011 3:09pm

I haven't looked into the SF2 hacking stuff much, but wouldn't that assume that he was meant to get +8 HP a level? I honestly have no clue about how the stat ups in SF2 work. :blush:

I have got ahold of Yabause's dev code btw. I'm currently struggling to get the sodding thing to compile. MingW gives me missing file errors (probably some cryptic path that's not set) and Visual Studio detects a ton of syntax errors even though the lines mentioned (and all the ones above them) are syntactically correct. I'll probably have a working compile in a few hours of hacking... :(
BoneIdol

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Lord Oddeye sama » Fri Feb 18 2011 3:38pm

My bad, here's how it works. viewtopic.php?p=440451#p440451

So I don't know, depends on how the game reacts. I tried to reverse Chester's base and projected stats in SF2 just now. As a result, he gained 255 points each level up because the game freaks out. Guess it hates having to deal with negatives in this fashion.
¿ ? The OddBlood ¿ ?
/ Because Life is Odd. \
Jinx unto ye!

¿ ? The OddBlood ¿ ?
/ Because Life is Odd. \
Jinx unto ye!

Lord Oddeye sama

Legendary Greater Devil
Shining Legend

Postby BoneIdol » Fri Feb 18 2011 3:46pm

More likely is it isn't set to handle negatives in the code. If the max number of values is 256, it is usually has a variable type of char in C/C+. A char can be signed (allows negatives) or unsigned (simply counts from 0 to 255). -1 in a signed char is the exact same number of binary value as 255 in an unsigned char (which is 8 1s or FF in hexadecimal).

Basically, you set it to 255 because it doesn't understand what negative numbers are. ;)
BoneIdol

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Lord Oddeye sama » Fri Feb 18 2011 3:48pm

Obviously SF3 knows better!
¿ ? The OddBlood ¿ ?
/ Because Life is Odd. \
Jinx unto ye!

¿ ? The OddBlood ¿ ?
/ Because Life is Odd. \
Jinx unto ye!

Lord Oddeye sama

Legendary Greater Devil
Shining Legend

Postby legalize freedom » Fri Feb 18 2011 6:59pm

Penkichi was in the name section of one of the earlier scenarios and unused by all accounts. In scenario 3 that slot was filled with Jane. The previous slot was updated to be Jane as well for the patch.
legalize freedom

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Thief » Wed Feb 23 2011 6:43am

So if we were unlucky we would have Penkichi instead of Jane...? Oh, Garvin.
Thief

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Lord Oddeye sama » Thu Feb 24 2011 9:06am

omy
¿ ? The OddBlood ¿ ?
/ Because Life is Odd. \
Jinx unto ye!

¿ ? The OddBlood ¿ ?
/ Because Life is Odd. \
Jinx unto ye!

Lord Oddeye sama

Legendary Greater Devil
Shining Legend

Postby Goemon Ishikawa » Fri Apr 05 2013 1:49pm

Hi, it's been so long since I last logged in I think my old account may have been purged, not that I was likely active enough for anyone to remember me back in the early days.

Anyway, on topic, did anything further come to light on the research here?

To BoneIdol, would Cheat Engine provide any help over trying to use an emulator debugger that's glitchy? It has some kind of tool that can do something similar, but I'm not sure if it'll actually be useful or not.
Just an idea.

Previous

Return to Shining Force III