Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force III
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

What would you change?

Incorporating Scenarios 1, 2, 3 and the Premium Disc, all in one handy board!

Re: What would you change?

Postby DomingoRules! » Wed Mar 27 2019 3:36pm

I actually like that turncoat item. On the surface it sounds lousy and pointless, but it could have some utility in the right situations, since it would allow things such as being able to target a surrounded ally to hit all enemies around him with a single Level 2 or 3 attack spell. Definitely a very circumstantial item, but I'd probably have a wizard who specializes in Blaze or Freeze with it on standby just in case. Could also be useful with somebody like Bridget (I think I'm remembering the correct mage); if her MP's getting low, you could cast Drain on a companion who has plenty to spare for a quick and easy refuel.
Xbox 360 Gamertag: Mr GURVMLK
PSN Account: Mr_GURVMLK
Nintendo ID: Mr_GURVMLK
3DS Friend Code: 1246-8952-3737
DomingoRules!

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Chinagonuk » Thu Mar 28 2019 10:23pm

I’m loving some of these ideas and, yet again, fantasising about a SF4. The friendship ring would also allow friendship benefits to work from an extra space away.
Chinagonuk

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby DomingoRules! » Sat Apr 06 2019 12:55am

I just had another thought for something to change. NPCs on higher difficulties. Most notably, giving them higher stats to accommodate stronger enemies. Granted I haven't tried Insane mode myself yet, I've heard that it can be a lot of trouble to do certain things on that setting in particular, such as trying to recruit NPCs you need to save during the battle without them dying. Therefore, it would be good to make it so that NPCs are given stat boosts as well on higher difficulties to compensate for the enemies being stronger. Of course, in the case of recruitable characters, these buffs would be strictly temporary, as their stats would return to normal upon recruitment. This would be less about making the battles easier, since you'd still need to reach them in the same number of turns as you would on other difficulties to save them (for example, if a character can take three hits on Normal, they'd also take three hits on Insane), and more about making them less brokenly frustrating, as I've heard some cases (like saving Irene) literally require enemies to miss attacks otherwise reaching them in time is veritably impossible even if everything else goes perfectly.
DomingoRules!

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Red_Shine » Wed May 15 2019 12:39am

It's been a while since I've been here, and this topic piqued my interest greatly. You see, I had a Saturn back in the day, but I never had access to some of its best games (SF3 included, not even the butchered overseas release) and I always felt the Saturn was beastly, but misunderstood.

Anyway, back on topic, I'd change the following:

1) The graphics

Yes indeed. Though I have done my research on this matter and do not partake on the misguided opinion that the Saturn isn't a 3D machine (it is, and in several ways, though not all, superior to the PS1 in this department), I don't think crude polygons were a good call on the graphics department. That should have been left strictly for the maps themselves, since rotation and zooming are legitimate advantages.

For a PS1 game that has a very similar mixed feel graphically on the PS1, check out Brigandine. It does look a little better in combat than SF3 does, but not by a great margin at all. The subsequent release, Brigandine - Grand Edition, eschews 3D animated combat entirely, which I feel should have been an option for SF3 too.

If I am to have animated combat (which I certainly prefer is present, at the end of the day, it should have played to the Saturn's greater innate strengths. Games like Dragon Force show that in spades.

They should have gone with something akin to this https://i.ytimg.com/vi/VLR5iZBtJEo/maxresdefault.jpg

2) Weapon levels:

Though a novel idea, I feel it was implemented badly, really badly. Shining Force inventories are pretty limited, and despite making characters more flexible (and the addition of specials was a nice touch), ultimately they end up becoming a little less unique. Having separate proficiency levels also means more busywork and more grinding,

3) Camaraderie:

I think someone at Camelot loves Fire Emblem, because it seems very similar to the system used in that franchise. While the battlefield bonuses are nice, since they bothered to create something similar in SF3, they should fleshed things out a bit more with unique HQ conversations and such (never liked how in FE support conversations got in the way of combat and made a slow paced game even more drawn out).

4) New Game Plus:

I know this wasn't a prevalent concept yet in the late 90s, but considering the amount of legwork you go through when playing the game in a consolidated way (in other words, playing each Scenario sequentially) and the fact you end up with three Forces, it would be pretty cool to be able to reload a "Full Clear" save and replay the story with a mishmash roster just for fun.

5) Revisitable Areas:

I don't know about you guys, but I absolutely hate missables. For me it goes two ways:

a) I miss out on something important and get frustrated because of it.

or

b) I look it up pre-emptively and do get the thing, but it ruins all sense of discovery.

So what I'd do is having a way to revisit areas again (though I know it would be a bit more far-fetched to do so between scenarios, but still that's what the "Insert Disc" screens are for right?).
Red_Shine

Postby DomingoRules! » Fri May 17 2019 10:34pm

I've never minded missable things too much. Sure, it can be frustrating when I know I missed something, but at the same time it also gives me something new to look forward to whenever I may happen to revisit a game.
DomingoRules!

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Previous