Shining Force III: Shining Force III CD Read Error

Incorporating Scenarios 1, 2, 3 and the Premium Disc, all in one handy board!

Moderator: Shining Moderators

Siper

Shining Force III CD Read Error

Post by Siper »

Hi, I thought this would be the best place to post this as some may have had a similar problem. I just got a PAL copy of Shining Force III but upon trying to play it, after the initial 'now loading' screen, I am presented with a 'CD read error, please check CD or lens' message.
I have both a pal model 2 saturn and Japanese model 1 saturn and this problem persisted with both. I thought it must be the disc but upon trying it through SSF emulator, it worked with no issues. Is there something else to blame here or should I attempt to give my disc a resurface or something.
Swalchy
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Re: Shining Force III CD Read Error

Post by Swalchy »

The laser within a PC CD drive is somewhat stronger than the setting on the one in the Sega Saturn.

If you open up your Sega Saturn, look at the back of the CD drive, you'll see a little knob with the ability to put a Philips screwdriver in. This controls the output power of the laser. You can try turning this a tad to increase the lens power, and see whether the Sega Saturn reads it from there.

Don't want to go too overboard with it, as increasing it will reduce the lens' lifespan somewhat.

Remember - Consoles do have a shelf-life, so we will eventually get to a point in time where no Sega Saturn works! D:
Salibu: 20/08/10 wrote:You have all been Swalched.
Damn I've been here a long f*cking time...

Mensa Member
IQ 137
Not bragging; just making you dumb-asses aware. :evilgrin: