Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force III
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

How much would you pay?

And in what format?

Incorporating Scenarios 1, 2, 3 and the Premium Disc, all in one handy board!

How much would you pay?

Postby verydopey » Sun Mar 18 2018 7:50am

Hi all,

I used to come here a lot in my university days, but got distracted by life. I've found myself wondering recently how much it would cost sega to port a game like this? Struggling to find that answer...

So instead I wondered, if a Kickstarter style campaign happened for SF3 (ala Shenmue 3), how much would you pay and what format would you want it to take? Eg, port or remake?

I think I would want it released on Switch and ported, maybe with spruced up 3d character models. I love the charm of the visuals and wouldn't want it changed... Though maybe not the most commercial view!
verydopey

Shining Member
Shining Member

Re: How much would you pay?

Postby Cybel » Sun Mar 18 2018 8:55am

I don't know but I would guess that it would be extremely expensive to port SF3 because of the complex architecture of the Saturn meaning that it would probably need to be rebuilt from the ground up to a large degree, presumably making it virtually as expensive as making a brand new game. In any event, I can't see Sega itself running a Kickstarter for something as niche as this game, especially when the franchise has moved on so much in Japan. After all, Yu Suzuki wasn't at Sega and had no link to Sega when he did the Shenmue III Kickstarter.

Ultimately, I'm more interested in seeing successful Saturn emulation on home consoles. I don't use computer emulators but I understand there are now decent Saturn emulators for computers so it must be possible to emulate. It would be great if the delay in the Switch virtual console was because Sega and Nintendo were working to ensure that VC could run every pre-Wii Sega and Nintendo console -- including, of course, the Saturn. Another chance to purchase SF3, Shining Wisdom, Guardian Heroes, Panzer Dragoon Saga, Dark Savior, NiGHTS, etc. etc. (Of course, this in itself doesn't solve the SF3 translation issue but that's another matter).

However, I would like to see a Shining Force IV and for the first time this century it seems at least a slight possibility. Camelot expressed an interest recently and they're coming to the end of the development of Mario Tennis Aces, while Sega don't seem to have a new Shining game in the works at present. So that seems like a possibility, if a slim one. Another possibility is that, if they have an idea for a game in that genre, they could make it as a "Golden Sun Tactics" game, revitalising that franchise with a new gloss. Of course, Nintendo seems pretty happy with Fire Emblem as their big SRPG and with Camelot cranking out Mario sports titles. But it's a nice thought.
Cybel

Postby verydopey » Sun Mar 18 2018 10:45am

Hey Cybel,

Let me reframe the question for you... You talk about switch VC, how much would you pay for this? I'm not suggesting sega would ever do a Kickstarter for SF3 as I just don't think it's a viable business decision. I just wonder what people would pay to be able to play these games legitimately...
verydopey

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby knight0fdragon » Mon Mar 19 2018 10:46pm

If SF3 is ever going to come back, Japan has to make it happen. Most US citizens do not even know what the Saturn is, left alone SF3
knight0fdragon

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby legalize freedom » Tue Mar 20 2018 12:29pm

A port is not a possibility as the source code was lost. A remake is the only possibility and for me a much more frightening possibility. The odds of anyone doing it right are very slim.

On topic, money is not an object. If any real shining force game were to be released, I would be willing to pay many times more than the highest feasible retail value. They are obviously not going to charge more than $60 for any game being released, so I'm not sure what value the proposition has.
legalize freedom

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Pappets » Wed Mar 21 2018 6:35pm

I got the impression that time doesn't go by in shining force central. The conversation about remakes of shining force games and/or a continuation of the (original) franchise has, practically, 20 years!
:lol:
The vandals took over Sega but someday the innovators will come again and reclaim the throne!
The vandals took over Sega but someday the innovators will come again and reclaim the throne!
Pappets

Shining Member
Shining Member

Return to Shining Force III