Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force III
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Editing Enemy Stats

Incorporating Scenarios 1, 2, 3 and the Premium Disc, all in one handy board!

Editing Enemy Stats

Postby Synthesis » Thu Jun 22 2017 10:05pm

I've been wanting to edit Zeon's stats on the Premium Disc to make him more of a challenge to my over powered team. I opened up the patched disc in a hex editor and thought I would be able to find Zeon's stats simply by going to Edit >> Find and entering 5A 65 6F 6E , which translates to Zeon. However, I get a string not found error, and even when I looked through the Premium Disc patch folder I got the same error message.

So I was wondering, how would I go about finding and editing Zeon's stats for the Premium Disc?
Synthesis

Re: Editing Enemy Stats

Postby Chinagonuk » Fri Jun 23 2017 10:56am

I think you can do this with the Save File Editor. You would need to make a save on the battle with Zeon then edit the enemie stats on there.
Chinagonuk

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby knight0fdragon » Fri Jun 23 2017 3:17pm

Either that or play with gameshark and try to find the address, (long shot I know bwcause most people do not have access to the parallel port of the gameshark to make it easy on themselves.)
knight0fdragon

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Synthesis » Fri Jun 23 2017 8:12pm

I did think about the save file editor. However, would I still be able to alter BIN file so I could burn the changes onto another disc?

As for the gameshark, I do have the one specifically mentioned. However, I would need to look up tutorials online in order to get the most out of it.
Synthesis

Postby Chinagonuk » Fri Jun 23 2017 10:34pm

Boneidol would be the guy to ask. He's the guy who made the Save File Editor. He used the debugger on the Yabause emulator to find a lot of the hex codes. Unfortunately he hasn't visited the forum in the past couple of years. I managed to send him an email, which he replied to, a while back. He has published guides for SF3 hex codes on GameFAQs. I got his email address from there.
Chinagonuk

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Synthesis » Fri Jun 23 2017 11:59pm

I played up to the start of the Zeon fight, then successfully extracted the save file from my Action Replay, and I don't see anything related to Zeon. It just seems mostly character related data to me.

Here's the file if you want to have a look.
Synthesis

Postby Chinagonuk » Sat Jun 24 2017 9:56am

The data goes straight over my head unfortunately. I have no real knowledge on hex editing, i just follow instructions and recite stuff. However i'm sure the save file must include enemy data, or else how would the game know the current hp/status etc of the enemies if you saved mid battle?
Chinagonuk

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Synthesis » Sat Jun 24 2017 11:54am

Using the save file editor provided in BoneIdo's thread I was able to modify Zeon's stats. However, the save file editor is buggy. With the exception of Julian it deletes my Scenario 3 team along with Hayward. So I only have 8 characters at the beginning of the fight.
Synthesis

Postby Chinagonuk » Sat Jun 24 2017 12:10pm

That's a shame. I guess Boneidol left the forum and his work on the editor before it was perfected.
Chinagonuk

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Synthesis » Sat Jun 24 2017 1:44pm

I've tried editing stats using the hex editor, and every time I do it my save file gets corrupted. Which is frustrating for even the most minute changes like altering the luck stat. I was able to find what I believe to be Zeon's stats as his 5000hp is quite a distinct stat. It's a shame Boneidol isn't here, as he probably could have given me clear answers on this.

EDIT: A bit more investigating into this shows there is a checksum stored within the save file, which causes the save file to corrupt in the event of a defect or alteration. I need to figure out how to alter the checksum to prevent this from happening.
Synthesis

Postby Pappets » Sun Jun 25 2017 11:25am

Chinagonuk wrote:That's a shame. I guess Boneidol left the forum and his work on the editor before it was perfected.

Is there anyone to continue his work? Or to contact him and ask him to finish? :shock:
The vandals took over Sega but someday the innovators will come again and reclaim the throne!
The vandals took over Sega but someday the innovators will come again and reclaim the throne!
Pappets

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Synthesis » Sun Jun 25 2017 12:26pm

His work does appear to be open source. I have e-mailed him to ask for help in relation to checksums. However, updating the editor to include all the Scenario 3 characters would be the ideal solution.
Synthesis

Postby Pappets » Sun Jun 25 2017 5:31pm

I used this editor in scenario 1 and i realized that if i give to the NPCs the next more powerful weapon it will be like as if you increase the dificulty level.
Pappets

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Synthesis » Sat Jul 08 2017 12:06am

I was eventually able to find a way of doing it, and it was done by hacking the rom itself. All I had to do was locate Zeons stats in the save file; copy/past a few lines from it and strip out the FF's; open up the rom in a hex editor and search for matching lines, then make the changes. Once that was done save the file and burn it to a CD-R.
Synthesis

Return to Shining Force III