Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force III
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

A weird fulfillment

Scenario 3

Incorporating Scenarios 1, 2, 3 and the Premium Disc, all in one handy board!

A weird fulfillment

Postby DomingoRules! » Thu Mar 16 2017 10:04am

As a kid, the massive number of centaurs in Shining Force 1 and 2 had me imagining what it would be like to get an ordinary horse in your party instead, to the point where, even before the days of game hacking being so commonplace, I fantasized about modding the centaur sprites in the games to change them into such. Usually picturing them with a lance strapped to their saddle, or some sort of spear launcher on their back.

Then comes Rollie, and after about two decades of waiting (having first played the Genesis titles I believe sometime around 1996) you bet your ass I'll be using her.
Xbox 360 Gamertag: Mr GURVMLK
PSN Account: Mr_GURVMLK
Nintendo ID: Mr_GURVMLK
3DS Friend Code: 1246-8952-3737
DomingoRules!

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Re: A weird fulfillment

Postby Pappets » Thu Mar 16 2017 11:30am

I think they choose centaurs instead of knights in horses to create character diversity because the player would get a large party, 12 plus reserves. The same goes for birdman. Rollie is a very odd character. What the heck is it doing there? It destroyes the concept of a world with centaurs. I don't like it.
The vandals took over Sega but someday the innovators will come again and reclaim the throne!
The vandals took over Sega but someday the innovators will come again and reclaim the throne!
Pappets

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby DomingoRules! » Thu Mar 16 2017 6:57pm

Character diversity is definitely a good thing. I personally find it boring when a game takes place in a fantasy setting filled with monsters and magic, where the possibilities are limitless, and all you get on your team are boring humans.

As for Rollie, unicorns are still mystical, and a unicorn-centaur would just be kind of weird.
DomingoRules!

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Pappets » Thu Mar 16 2017 9:23pm

DomingoRules! wrote:As for Rollie, unicorns are still mystical, and a unicorn-centaur would just be kind of weird.

Think again. There's pegasus. :)
Pappets

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby DomingoRules! » Thu Mar 16 2017 10:46pm

Yeah, but the thing that makes a Pegasus what it is can still be logically applied to the horse body of a centaur. A unicorn-centaur however would be a centaur with a horn on the human-half's forehead, which would not only be a tiny bit weird, but would also be applicably pointless compared to an ordinary unicorn that can practically use the horn as a weapon.
DomingoRules!

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby MCRT » Fri Mar 17 2017 6:36pm

Yeah I also like here, she just feels kinda special. The great range of unique classes is actually one of the points I enjoy the most in scenario 3, even if Julian is kind of my least favorite of the 3 hero's.

But you will get even more unique ones, also a kind of domingo like character (playing style, not appearance).

I always have to restrict myself from abusing Rollie's sleep spell, because this makes her kind of broken in the most fights against "normal soldier" like enemies due to the low luck stat of this enemies.
MCRT

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby DomingoRules! » Sat Mar 18 2017 12:50am

Rollie learns Sleep? That's neat, but since she already starts with Charm, I can't imagine there being too many situations where Sleep would be particularly useful over that.
DomingoRules!

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby MCRT » Mon Mar 20 2017 7:34pm

DomingoRules! wrote:Rollie learns Sleep? That's neat, but since she already starts with Charm, I can't imagine there being too many situations where Sleep would be particularly useful over that.

Yeah, she learns sleep at level 12 if I remember correct. I prefer sleep as it costs less for the same AOE as Charm 2 and seems to have a higher success rate. Also it is very useful to lock enemies at a place, while charmed enemies tend to run away to attack their allies or just to do strange things :lol:
MCRT

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby DomingoRules! » Mon Mar 20 2017 10:37pm

Yeah, I have found myself using Sleep more often than I'd assume thanks to its AoE, which Charm Level 1 doesn't have (and I didn't even know Charm 2 existed). Especially during a specific boss battle I recently played. I don't want to spoil it (for those unfamiliar), suffice to say that being able to put enemies to sleep really turned into a lifesaver when it came down to having to deal with a boss, and his cronies, with only three or four party members, none of which being healers. Having Rollie focus on keeping the minions asleep so only the boss was attacking was the only reason why those few involved in the fight pulled through.
DomingoRules!

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby MCRT » Mon Mar 20 2017 11:37pm

Sleep is really useful in the whole scenario, even later when some enemies are too strong to be 2-shotted or in battles with endless respawning enemies, it can be better to cast sleep instead of attacking.

Based on your description I would say you speak about the (kind of) siege battle at the end of chapter 2.
Who do you have in your force so far? I guess at least a man with a stylish mustache? ;)

DomingoRules! wrote:put enemies to sleep really turned into a lifesaver when it came down to having to deal with a boss, and his cronies, with only three or four party members, none of which being healers. Having Rollie focus on keeping the minions asleep so only the boss was attacking was the only reason why those few involved in the fight pulled through.

Imagine the spell would have been that handy in the 2D Shining Force games ;)
MCRT

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby DomingoRules! » Tue Mar 21 2017 5:32pm

I don't think I have anybody with a mustache.
DomingoRules!

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby MCRT » Thu Mar 23 2017 9:53pm

DomingoRules! wrote:I don't think I have anybody with a mustache.

Yeah, mistery solved after your message... the "none of which being healers" part were misleading me.
MCRT

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby daveshan » Tue May 02 2017 12:51am

Pappets wrote:I think they choose centaurs instead of knights in horses to create character diversity because the player would get a large party, 12 plus reserves. The same goes for birdman. Rollie is a very odd character. What the heck is it doing there? It destroyes the concept of a world with centaurs. I don't like it.

The carriage that takes you to the first battle in SF1 is pulled by horses.
daveshan

Return to Shining Force III