Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force III
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Question regarding carry-over content

Incorporating Scenarios 1, 2, 3 and the Premium Disc, all in one handy board!

Question regarding carry-over content

Postby DomingoRules! » Wed Mar 15 2017 4:52am

Because of how I play these games on my Saturn, it's easier to use the internal memory rather than a back-up cart. I did that with both Scenario 1 and 2, but now naturally there isn't enough space for 3 as well. That brings me to my question (assuming anybody has ever actually bothered to test this and find an answer). Do the save files used to carry stuff over need to remain available for the altered content to work? Or would I be able to start a New Game in Scenario 3 using saves from a back-up cart, save Sc3 to the system alone, and still get the benefits with the memory card absent during future play sessions?
Xbox 360 Gamertag: Mr GURVMLK
PSN Account: Mr_GURVMLK
Nintendo ID: Mr_GURVMLK
3DS Friend Code: 1246-8952-3737
DomingoRules!

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Re: Question regarding carry-over content

Postby Chinagonuk » Wed Mar 15 2017 5:28am

All the content is stored in the save file its self and the cleared Sc2 file only needs to be present when you start the new Sc3 game. I would first backup files to the cart. Then start Sc3 using the cleared Sc2 file on your system. Then delete the file using the in game menu. Then save Sc3.

The only time this method becomes a problem is when you wish to play on another difficulty setting. For this you need a cleared save file for the scenario you are playing.
Chinagonuk

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby DomingoRules! » Wed Mar 15 2017 6:44am

Yeah, the plan was to back the stuff up, partly for the sake of higher difficulties later on. I have both a memory cart, and an Action Replay Plus that I can use for that. I didn't know though that I could just use the Sc2 file for Sc3. The Action Replay being involved in the method I use to play the games, hence why it's easier to use the console's internal memory instead so I don't need to bother using the Action Replay to start up the game, then swap the cart in afterward.

If only the system memory had more space, but oh well. I'm sure they would've made it possible to run all three off the system memory alone if they could, and judging from most Saturn games I've played (which admittedly is only a small handful, most of which aren't RPGs) the system memory seems efficient enough for most general purposes unless you have a huge library.

That does make me wonder though, despite the fact that I could easily test this out myself when the time comes. If you use a clear file to start a new game, then remove/overwrite the clear file, will the fresh one still have the difficulties unlocked? Or will the option disappear from the menu since there's no longer an active clear file to unlock it?
DomingoRules!

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Lord Kane » Mon Mar 20 2017 12:22am

DomingoRules! wrote:
That does make me wonder though, despite the fact that I could easily test this out myself when the time comes. If you use a clear file to start a new game, then remove/overwrite the clear file, will the fresh one still have the difficulties unlocked? Or will the option disappear from the menu since there's no longer an active clear file to unlock it?

I'm quite sure, the option will disappear. The game probably checks every time you load a save file if there is a completed save file available, therefore the option will appear or not.
Lord Kane

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby DomingoRules! » Mon Mar 20 2017 10:28pm

All right.
DomingoRules!

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Chinagonuk » Tue Mar 21 2017 8:20am

Yes. The option will be removed, but you will continue playing on the difficulty you have chosen. This can be a bit dangerous as other difficulty settings have a tendency to crash the game (usually on fights with NPC or if you get charmed). Always try to save at a church before a battle so you don't mess your save up.

I used to play on a real saturn for years and only just started using emulators. I used to use the swap trick + memory cart and only ever used my AR cart for backups and for applying AR codes.
Chinagonuk

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby DomingoRules! » Thu Mar 23 2017 10:15pm

I'm playing using a trick somebody pointed out to me here where you start up the Japanese version of the game using the Action Replay to bypass the region lock, then wait at the Gabriel screen for about five minutes for the disc to stop spinning. Once that happens, open the tray, swap with the burned disc, then soft reset to bypass the security check.
DomingoRules!

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Return to Shining Force III