Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force III
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

First hated battle

Scenario 2

Incorporating Scenarios 1, 2, 3 and the Premium Disc, all in one handy board!

First hated battle

Postby DomingoRules! » Tue Mar 07 2017 2:27am

I have beaten Shining Force (both LoGI and RottD), SF2, Sword of Hajya, CD, Final Conflict, and 3-1, and am up to Chapter 3 in 3-2. Between all of those, I finally encountered a battle that I hate. One that was just frustrating, and annoying. It presented an interesting challenge, but ultimately I didn't find fun at all because all it came down to was depending on stupid luck, and abusing mid-battle saving.

WARNING: SPOILER!

On an unrelated note, this was also the first battle where Medion died (I had to rush near the end due to a shortage of healing items, and running out of MP for Dispel with Syntesis putting me in a tough spot), but I just ended up resetting since I had recently saved due to the aforementioned saving necessity.
Xbox 360 Gamertag: Mr GURVMLK
PSN Account: Mr_GURVMLK
Nintendo ID: Mr_GURVMLK
3DS Friend Code: 1246-8952-3737
DomingoRules!

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Re: First hated battle

Postby ZethaPonderer » Tue Mar 07 2017 2:37am

Same here. Chapter 3: Battle 2 is where SF3 - Scenario 2 really takes the kid's gloves off.

I'm still stuck fighting the Kraken Battle at Chapter 3: Battle 5. Enemies so far don't give a lot of experience to my surprise. I want enemies to give me crazy EXP. Where's my 49 EXP? XD Just gonna abuse those Swift Boots to level up Medion so I can promote him and let him become just as overpowered as Julian. As for the rest of my force, they'll get the experience on the next Chapter. :p

Scenario 2 is probably looking pretty hard. But the question is, is this the hardest scenario compare to Scenario 1 and 3?
ZethaPonderer

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby DomingoRules! » Tue Mar 07 2017 5:16am

I'm not finding it too difficult so far. I haven't yet had a single casualty (excluding the aforementioned Medion), but I am missing I think at least three characters, so my levels are probably a bit higher than they should be. As suggested by you mentioning how you're not promoted yet by Kraken, whereas my entire force was starting to be promoted early-to-mid Chapter 3, and was fully promoted (some even at level 2) by time I reached Kraken.

Even that battle I mentioned in the first post wasn't particularly challenging, per se. Just frustrating because of the potential of counterattacks. However, maybe if I hadn't been so intent on utilizing Dispel, there may have been a way to more effectively utilize the battlefield to my advantage.

Then again, in Scenario 1, I think I only suffered a total of about 10-15 casualties throughout the entire game (excluding a couple reset Synbios deaths since, like with the aforementioned, I had just recently saved for unrelated reasons), and many of those came after the halfway point.
DomingoRules!

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby ZethaPonderer » Tue Mar 07 2017 5:45am

Well I wasn't aware that I could potentially power-level at Chapter 3: Battle 2 when just fighting Hedva to get decent EXP.

I wonder what would've happened if I kill Hedva then egress from the battle? Would Hedva still be there so I could've potentially power-leveled right then and there? Pretty grim and sadistic way of doing it so I'm not going to bother trying. I just think that's a little too cheap for my taste so I'll just take the challenging route.

It's all good. Chapter 4 is where enemies will give out a lot of experience so I can't wait. It's my first time playing through Scenario 2. Chronologically playing each Scenario from SF3. Finished Scenario 1 throughout my winter break. Didn't really suffer too much casualties either in Scenario 1 either since I massively power-leveled in that game including Julian. What? I love power-leveling my characters. It's fun IMO. :)
ZethaPonderer

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby DomingoRules! » Tue Mar 07 2017 6:11am

My first time as well, but I avoid power leveling in games whenever possible. I hate when my characters become too powerful, and stats start driving me forward more than ability. And even when I do grind, I only do it to the absolute minimum. As in if I'm stuck on a boss in a JRPG, I'll try like 10 times before resorting to grinding, at which point I'll only gain like 1 or 2 levels before trying another 10 times.
DomingoRules!

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Swalchy » Tue Mar 07 2017 1:01pm

ZethaPonderer wrote:I wonder what would've happened if I kill Hedva then egress from the battle? Would Hedva still be there so I could've potentially power-leveled right then and there? Pretty grim and sadistic way of doing it so I'm not going to bother trying. I just think that's a little too cheap for my taste so I'll just take the challenging route.

Yeah she'll be there again if you return and come back. Plus yes, whilst I usually love to powerlevel, I never can on that battle due to the fact that the only enemy that gives any decent EXP is Hedva. Can't keep killing poor Hedva :(

My first actual hated battle was saving the Refugees in Scenario 1 - battle takes bloody ages, and my word did it take me a while to figure out how to save them.

Once you turn on insane mode however, your first hated battle will always be attempting to save Irene - unless you have a promoted Grace with level 4 Aura, you are praying for Irene to dodge/block an attack; else, that girl is dead.
The Way To Yahuweh

Salibu: 20/08/10 wrote:You have all been Swalched.

Damn I've been here a long f*cking time...
The Way To Yahuweh

Salibu: 20/08/10 wrote:You have all been Swalched.

Damn I've been here a long f*cking time...
Swalchy

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby DomingoRules! » Tue Mar 07 2017 5:40pm

I actually like the refugee battle. Yeah, it requires quite a number of reloads since you pretty much have to know exactly what to do (would be nice if the game gave you at least a smidge of leniency), but I didn't really find it annoying in a bad way. Yeah, redoing it again and again was a tad tedious, but at least with that I felt like I was getting a bit better every time. Each attempt going in with more information to get closer and closer to the solution. This made it more of a puzzle, which I think is a well-suited gimmick in an SRPG battle.

My problem with the Hedva battle is that I felt like there wasn't any real solution. It was just, "Do the battle, and pray every time she attacks, you don't counterattack and one-shot her." That in turn transformed the battle into a senseless fight of constant saving, where the saves basically robbed the entire battle of all consequences since it indirectly rendered it possible to reset anytime anything happened. Unless there's a way to always stay ahead of her, which I didn't try since my whole plan for the fight was to just keep her silenced to avoid Freeze.

Irene is definitely a battle I predicted will be a nuisance on Insane. I had the same thoughts with saving Hayward and Garosh (especially Garosh). It feels like the developers really dropped the ball on that one, and totally failed to account for how any of the protection missions would function on higher difficulties.
DomingoRules!

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby MCRT » Tue Mar 07 2017 7:03pm

Swalchy wrote:
ZethaPonderer wrote:I wonder what would've happened if I kill Hedva then egress from the battle? Would Hedva still be there so I could've potentially power-leveled right then and there? Pretty grim and sadistic way of doing it so I'm not going to bother trying. I just think that's a little too cheap for my taste so I'll just take the challenging route.

Yeah she'll be there again if you return and come back. Plus yes, whilst I usually love to powerlevel, I never can on that battle due to the fact that the only enemy that gives any decent EXP is Hedva. Can't keep killing poor Hedva :(

The same for me. Also getting good experience from one of the avilable enemies without much HP is not really what I would call the perfect situation for fast powerlevelling.

Would all those kills actually been visible in her status screen later? :confused:

ZethaPonderer wrote:Same here. Chapter 3: Battle 2 is where SF3 - Scenario 2 really takes the kid's gloves off.

I'm still stuck fighting the Kraken Battle at Chapter 3: Battle 5. Enemies so far don't give a lot of experience to my surprise. I want enemies to give me crazy EXP. Where's my 49 EXP? XD Just gonna abuse those Swift Boots to level up Medion so I can promote him and let him become just as overpowered as Julian. As for the rest of my force, they'll get the experience on the next Chapter. :p

Scenario 2 is probably looking pretty hard. But the question is, is this the hardest scenario compare to Scenario 1 and 3?

Even with the difficulty spike in this battle and the following chapter, Sc 2 is still the easiest one. Once you reach chapter 5, even a not powerleveled Force will steamroll through most battles.

DomingoRules! wrote:Just frustrating because of the potential of counterattacks. However, maybe if I hadn't been so intent on utilizing Dispel, there may have been a way to more effectively utilize the battlefield to my advantage.

DomingoRules! wrote:My problem with the Hedva battle is that I felt like there wasn't any real solution. It was just, "Do the battle, and pray every time she attacks, you don't counterattack and one-shot her." That in turn transformed the battle into a senseless fight of constant saving, where the saves basically robbed the entire battle of all consequences since it indirectly rendered it possible to reset anytime anything happened. Unless there's a way to always stay ahead of her, which I didn't try since my whole plan for the fight was to just keep her silenced to avoid Freeze.

Actually the solution is something you proposed in another situation: un-equip your weapon ;)
Normally I use this approach: I let her deplete all her MP and then I lure her away from the other enemies with Medion. Depending on his stats he has the life ring equipped (when she does only 1 damage with her attacks) or the life ring equipped and the protect ring in inventory.
MCRT

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby DomingoRules! » Wed Mar 08 2017 12:12am

MCRT wrote:Actually the solution is something you proposed in another situation: un-equip your weapon ;)
Normally I use this approach: I let her deplete all her MP and then I lure her away from the other enemies with Medion. Depending on his stats he has the life ring equipped (when she does only 1 damage with her attacks) or the life ring equipped and the protect ring in inventory.

Medion does seem like the logical choice, since the enemies are quite obsessed with targeting him when possible.
DomingoRules!

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby MCRT » Wed Mar 08 2017 4:48pm

DomingoRules! wrote:
MCRT wrote:Actually the solution is something you proposed in another situation: un-equip your weapon ;)

Medion does seem like the logical choice, since the enemies are quite obsessed with targeting him when possible.

Yeah, as long as they cannot one-shot someone else, they will go for the leaders. ;)
MCRT

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby DomingoRules! » Wed Mar 08 2017 6:37pm

The only character that comes to mind that I've seen enemies actively ignore Medion to attack instead is Uryudo, probably because he's a healer. Unless levels also have something to do with it, since he's been consistently my highest level for a while due to my small party size resulting in a chunk of the game where I was gaining hardly any EXP from attacking, giving him a chance to pull ahead using healing spells.
DomingoRules!

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby MCRT » Sat Mar 11 2017 9:36am

DomingoRules! wrote:The only character that comes to mind that I've seen enemies actively ignore Medion to attack instead is Uryudo, probably because he's a healer. Unless levels also have something to do with it, since he's been consistently my highest level for a while due to my small party size resulting in a chunk of the game where I was gaining hardly any EXP from attacking, giving him a chance to pull ahead using healing spells.

Yeah, that can happen, I could not re-find the posts where it was explained how the AI choses his target, but sometimes they also just act different, but prioritizing the healer could also be possible.

Yeah. healers can get their levels really easy, too bad that healing spells do not give much weapon experience.

ZethaPonderer wrote:Just gonna abuse those Swift Boots to level up Medion so I can promote him and let him become just as overpowered as Julian.

Are you still powerlevelling with the swift boots? It just came into my mind that you can use the sleep spell of the magic wand too to at least also powerlevel Syntesis and Hedva independent of the enemy level.
MCRT

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby DomingoRules! » Sat Mar 11 2017 6:36pm

Either way, I do find myself oftentimes abusing the priority on the leader to my advantage. Putting him in dangerous situations paired up with friends that give Defense (which I don't have in Sc. 2) and Crit Evasion bonuses to lure enemies in while controlling their target, then swarming them with my party.
DomingoRules!

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Return to Shining Force III