Shining Force III: Tail, where art thou?

Incorporating Scenarios 1, 2, 3 and the Premium Disc, all in one handy board!

Moderator: Shining Moderators

DomingoRules!
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Tail, where art thou?

Post by DomingoRules! »

I know it's probably just short, thus concealed entirely underneath his cloth, but I still think that the lack of visibility of Justin's tail looks weird because of how flat his cloth lies upon where the stubby appendage should be.
Check out, and perhaps buy my book here: https://a.co/d/2AIkbwd

Xbox 360 Gamertag: Mr GURVMLK
PSN Account: Mr_GURVMLK
Nintendo ID: Mr_GURVMLK
3DS Friend Code: 1246-8952-3737
MCRT
Shining Member
Shining Member

Re: Tail, where art thou?

Post by MCRT »

I can really agree on that, I always wondered what the intention is behind this. But your explanation makes sense.

Or maybe he lost it in the war? I mean those Bats consisting only of Mouth and Wings seem to be really snappy ;)
DomingoRules!
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by DomingoRules! »

And bats do seem to like "appearing" mid-battle. Maybe one lurking in a tree suddenly attacked from behind while Justin's crosshairs were targeting a knight in the opposite direction. Justin reacted to the noise of rustling branches, but the creature struck too quickly, so the would-be evasion instead jumpily redirected the bat's incoming fangs from his back, to his tail.

There was a moment where I thought it was maybe just a weird graphical quirk for centaurs in the game, but I quickly debunked that by paying special attention to make sure that Dantares' wasn't also missing, because until I noticed its absence from Justin, its presence on Dantares didn't consciously cross my mind at all.

MCRT
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by MCRT »

DomingoRules! wrote:And bats do seem to like "appearing" mid-battle. Maybe one lurking in a tree suddenly attacked from behind while Justin's crosshairs were targeting a knight in the opposite direction. Justin reacted to the noise of rustling branches, but the creature struck too quickly, so the would-be evasion instead jumpily redirected the bat's incoming fangs from his back, to his tail.
Sounds like a valid explanation for me :)
DomingoRules! wrote: There was a moment where I thought it was maybe just a weird graphical quirk for centaurs in the game, but I quickly debunked that by paying special attention to make sure that Dantares' wasn't also missing, because until I noticed its absence from Justin, its presence on Dantares didn't consciously cross my mind at all.
I actually never thought about it... the only thing that always bugged me is how strange Justin looks.

Maybe he is a different kind of Centaur? no human/horse but maybe a human/something alpaca like, I mean it should have a reason why he can move only 5 squares instead of 7.
DomingoRules!
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by DomingoRules! »

MCRT wrote:Maybe he is a different kind of Centaur? no human/horse but maybe a human/something alpaca like, I mean it should have a reason why he can move only 5 squares instead of 7.
Which bugs the hell out of me. The thing with centaurs is that they have incredible movement, but require flat ground to get anywhere, making them shitty outside, and making it difficult for them to utilize land effect bonuses. That's been their trope since the very first game. Justin however is still forced to deal with those flaws, while also having low natural movement. I guess an archer doesn't need high movement, but that still irked me.

MCRT
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by MCRT »

DomingoRules! wrote:
MCRT wrote:Maybe he is a different kind of Centaur? no human/horse but maybe a human/something alpaca like, I mean it should have a reason why he can move only 5 squares instead of 7.
Which bugs the hell out of me. The thing with centaurs is that they have incredible movement, but require flat ground to get anywhere, making them shitty outside, and making it difficult for them to utilize land effect bonuses. That's been their trope since the very first game. Justin however is still forced to deal with those flaws, while also having low natural movement. I guess an archer doesn't need high movement, but that still irked me.
Yeah, they did this to all Centaur archers after Lyle if I remember correctly, and it always killed their usefulness. As kid I didn't take care of such things, every thing that counterd were attack, defense and HP. But when I play today, movement range & type are actually just as important as factors to decide who I will use or not, as movement is given, while the other stats ca be adjusted by additional levels.
DomingoRules!
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by DomingoRules! »

I always took everything into account except AGL (because agility is dumb in the older games). That's why I always preferred SNIP over BRGN in Shining Force 2. They may not be as tough, but personally I like how their greater speed elements make them better at getting in where they need to be, and doing an archer's job of moving around the field taking potshots at enemies.

MCRT
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by MCRT »

DomingoRules! wrote:I always took everything into account except AGL (because agility is dumb in the older games). That's why I always preferred SNIP over BRGN in Shining Force 2. They may not be as tough, but personally I like how their greater speed elements make them better at getting in where they need to be, and doing an archer's job of moving around the field taking potshots at enemies.
As kid I always used BRGN and May, but as kid I did not knew about such things as movement type and so on :blush:

Yeah, in all my runs through SF2 in the last few years, I used the SNIPs instead of other archer classes. Their movement range combined with their movement type allows them to always attack an enemy while reming outside of the danger zone :thumbsup:
As far as I knew, BRGN actually have just a higher Def stat, but HP/attack remain identical between BRGN and SNIP.
I just give them some additional training for 3-5 levels before promoting and they are on par with the "strong" characters (something I also do for Luke, even if the available end game weapons give Pegasi an edge over Bird Battlers)
DomingoRules!
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by DomingoRules! »

"Outside the danger zone" is the big point for me. Sure, BRGN can take more abuse than SNIP, but if you're using your archers right, they're not commonly being attacked anyway. Something which I feel snipers can better pull off with their superior mobility stats.