Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force III
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

New Saturn Emulator - Mednafen

Incorporating Scenarios 1, 2, 3 and the Premium Disc, all in one handy board!

Re: New Saturn Emulator - Mednafen

Postby Corsair » Wed Dec 20 2017 12:22am

Necroposting!

Mednafen now supports save states. Now that I've had a chance to f*ck around with it, it's really quite good and stable. Go grab the newest version!
Corsair

User avatar
Shining Legend
Shining Legend
 
Posts: 7068
Joined: Mon Apr 21 2008 2:52am

Re: New Saturn Emulator - Mednafen

Postby Doh042 » Wed Dec 20 2017 2:02am

oh wow, that sounds glorious. So many of my saturn games are left unplayed, but this might actually cause me to find them and pop them in the PC instead.

I'm apparently an evil bastard since I have still my copy of Dragon Force, Magic Knight Rayearth and Panzer Dragoon Saga... (I don't think I have any other rare/expensive title though)
... enjoy!

-Doh
... enjoy!

-Doh
Doh042

User avatar
Member
Member
 
Posts: 51
Joined: Tue Nov 28 2017 3:36am
Location: Montreal, Quebec

Re: New Saturn Emulator - Mednafen

Postby legalize freedom » Wed Dec 20 2017 1:04pm

Doesn't it require retroarch or other frontend also or is the setup easier these days?
legalize freedom

User avatar
Shining Legend
Shining Legend
 
Posts: 1738
Joined: Sat Apr 29 2006 4:09am
Location: Texas, USA

Re: New Saturn Emulator - Mednafen

Postby DomingoRules! » Thu Dec 21 2017 12:11am

Doh042 wrote:oh wow, that sounds glorious. So many of my saturn games are left unplayed, but this might actually cause me to find them and pop them in the PC instead.

I'm apparently an evil bastard since I have still my copy of Dragon Force, Magic Knight Rayearth and Panzer Dragoon Saga... (I don't think I have any other rare/expensive title though)

"Still" as in you've had those three games since back when they first came out? Talk about a great (and lucky) investment, if so. Then again, nowadays it feels like that applies to about half the Saturn library.
Xbox 360 Gamertag: Mr GURVMLK
PSN Account: Mr_GURVMLK
Nintendo ID: Mr_GURVMLK
3DS Friend Code: 1246-8952-3737
Xbox 360 Gamertag: Mr GURVMLK
PSN Account: Mr_GURVMLK
Nintendo ID: Mr_GURVMLK
3DS Friend Code: 1246-8952-3737
DomingoRules!

User avatar
Shining Legend
Shining Legend
 
Posts: 1702
Joined: Tue Feb 17 2009 5:50am

Re: New Saturn Emulator - Mednafen

Postby Doh042 » Thu Dec 21 2017 3:57am

DomingoRules! wrote:"Still" as in you've had those three games since back when they first came out? Talk about a great (and lucky) investment, if so. Then again, nowadays it feels like that applies to about half the Saturn library.

Yep! I still own the original copies that I got when I was a college student or thereabouts.

I sold my Sega genesis and all games around those days, for peanuts, in the classified ads. It is one of the decision that I have regretted the most in my life, I feel. So since then, I have never gotten rid of my old games and systems, unless I got a direct upgrade (3DSxl, GBA, PS2 vs PS1, etc.)

I didn't have many Genesis titles -- the ones I remember are The Sonics, Shining Force 1 and 2, Shadowrun, Cyborg Justice and maybe a couple of bad ones like Mortal Kombat, Jurassic Park and the games that came with the gun addon (The Menacer, was it?)
... enjoy!

-Doh
... enjoy!

-Doh
Doh042

User avatar
Member
Member
 
Posts: 51
Joined: Tue Nov 28 2017 3:36am
Location: Montreal, Quebec

Re: New Saturn Emulator - Mednafen

Postby Moondog » Thu Dec 21 2017 3:13pm

Doh042 wrote:I sold my Sega genesis and all games around those days, for peanuts, in the classified ads. It is one of the decision that I have regretted the most in my life, I feel.


i feel your pain, i sold my original copy of Shining the Holy Ark for a mere 50p back in about 2001 :fear:, that's all cash Generator would give me for a Saturn game as they sold them for £1 lol, shows they knew nothing of value.
Moondog

User avatar
Shining Legend
Shining Legend
 
Posts: 2009
Joined: Thu Sep 16 2004 3:02pm
Location: Arbroath, Scotland

Re: New Saturn Emulator - Mednafen

Postby Doh042 » Thu Dec 21 2017 4:16pm

Moondog wrote:[...]my original copy of Shining the Holy Ark[...]


Oh, is Holy Ark also an expensive or rare Saturn game? I have that one too...
... enjoy!

-Doh
... enjoy!

-Doh
Doh042

User avatar
Member
Member
 
Posts: 51
Joined: Tue Nov 28 2017 3:36am
Location: Montreal, Quebec

Re: New Saturn Emulator - Mednafen

Postby Moondog » Thu Dec 21 2017 6:15pm

Doh042 wrote:
Moondog wrote:[...]my original copy of Shining the Holy Ark[...]


Oh, is Holy Ark also an expensive or rare Saturn game? I have that one too...


it's not super rare, but it usually goes for at least £50 (the PAL version).
Moondog

User avatar
Shining Legend
Shining Legend
 
Posts: 2009
Joined: Thu Sep 16 2004 3:02pm
Location: Arbroath, Scotland

Re: New Saturn Emulator - Mednafen

Postby DomingoRules! » Wed Dec 27 2017 4:08pm

Don't know about PAL versions, but all the US Shining Games for Saturn are up there.
Xbox 360 Gamertag: Mr GURVMLK
PSN Account: Mr_GURVMLK
Nintendo ID: Mr_GURVMLK
3DS Friend Code: 1246-8952-3737
Xbox 360 Gamertag: Mr GURVMLK
PSN Account: Mr_GURVMLK
Nintendo ID: Mr_GURVMLK
3DS Friend Code: 1246-8952-3737
DomingoRules!

User avatar
Shining Legend
Shining Legend
 
Posts: 1702
Joined: Tue Feb 17 2009 5:50am

Re: New Saturn Emulator - Mednafen

Postby Chinagonuk » Thu Dec 28 2017 2:56pm

Does this emu now support save states? I’m looking for an alternative to SSF for the purpose of making SF3 videos for youtube.
Chinagonuk

User avatar
Shining Member
Shining Member
 
Posts: 197
Joined: Tue Mar 19 2013 4:44pm
Location: Bristol, UK

Re: New Saturn Emulator - Mednafen

Postby Special T » Thu Dec 28 2017 4:46pm

Chinagonuk wrote:Does this emu now support save states? I’m looking for an alternative to SSF for the purpose of making SF3 videos for youtube.


Corsair wrote:Mednafen now supports save states. Now that I've had a chance to f*ck around with it, it's really quite good and stable. Go grab the newest version!


================================================
================================================

legalize freedom wrote:Doesn't it require retroarch or other frontend also or is the setup easier these days?


You can use the standalone emulator Mednafen along with one of the frontends such as MedSat like paul_met mentioned.

paul_met wrote:A new version of MedSat is available:
http://www.emu-land.net/consoles/saturn/emuls/windows?act=showonly&id=4227
Special T

User avatar
Shining Member
Shining Member
 
Posts: 430
Joined: Thu Sep 16 2004 8:15pm
Location: Riverview

Re: New Saturn Emulator - Mednafen

Postby Chinagonuk » Thu Dec 28 2017 8:19pm

Sorry, i only saw page 1 of the thread, oops lol

Edit:
I’ve installed Medsat 1.6 and put latest version of Mednafen in the cores folder but i’m unable to load my games. How do i go about converting my bins and cue into a playable format?
Chinagonuk

User avatar
Shining Member
Shining Member
 
Posts: 197
Joined: Tue Mar 19 2013 4:44pm
Location: Bristol, UK

Re: New Saturn Emulator - Mednafen

Postby Special T » Fri Jan 05 2018 1:28am

You can load the translated version of SF3 image into ImgBurn to create a standard bin/cue image which should work.
Special T

User avatar
Shining Member
Shining Member
 
Posts: 430
Joined: Thu Sep 16 2004 8:15pm
Location: Riverview

Re: New Saturn Emulator - Mednafen

Postby loveshining » Wed Jan 10 2018 5:56pm

i also transferred save file from ssf to mednafen. :excited:
game play in MEDNAFEN is Awesome. :thumbsup:
https://github.com/hitomi2500/ss-save-parser/releases/tag/0.9.5
https://forums.libretro.com/t/mednafen-saturn-core/4787/46
but could not transfer save file from mednafen to ssf. :shock:
we need boneidols sf3 save editor to support mednafen save type for editing. :confused:
loveshining

User avatar
Member
Member
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Sat Sep 22 2012 12:41pm
Location: Dubai

Re: New Saturn Emulator - Mednafen

Postby Neutral » Tue Feb 06 2018 2:53pm

Can I use this to render the game at a higher level with open like in yabause?
My hardware won't be an issue, just want to know if the capability is there
Neutral

User avatar
Member
Member
 
Posts: 60
Joined: Sun Sep 07 2008 7:12pm
Location: Milky Way

Re: New Saturn Emulator - Mednafen

Postby Corsair » Fri Feb 09 2018 1:55am

Unfortunately no. To my knowledge, Yabause is the only saturn emulator that improves the internal rendering resolution, and that's a real shame.
Corsair

User avatar
Shining Legend
Shining Legend
 
Posts: 7068
Joined: Mon Apr 21 2008 2:52am

Re: New Saturn Emulator - Mednafen

Postby graciaman » Fri Mar 09 2018 6:47am

I've been tinkering with Mednafen. There are some filters you can use, but nothing I know of that increases the rendering. If you edit the config file, find the line saturn.shader and set it to 'sabr'

It smooths things a bit but I'm not a fan of the effect. I feel like Mednafen naturally upscales things really nicely though. I play on a 1080p monitor, full screen, and it looks as good as it does natively. There are some other interesting filters too like a crt emulation one.

More details can be found on the documentation page
https://mednafen.github.io/documentation/

I'm absolutely loving it right now though, solely due to the near-perfect audio. SSF was horrid compared to this.
graciaman

User avatar
Newbie
Newbie
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Nov 03 2004 6:10am

Re: New Saturn Emulator - Mednafen

Postby bukshot420 » Mon Mar 19 2018 6:19pm

loveshining wrote:i also transferred save file from ssf to mednafen. :excited:
game play in MEDNAFEN is Awesome. :thumbsup:
https://github.com/hitomi2500/ss-save-parser/releases/tag/0.9.5
https://forums.libretro.com/t/mednafen-saturn-core/4787/46
but could not transfer save file from mednafen to ssf. :shock:
we need boneidols sf3 save editor to support mednafen save type for editing. :confused:


It’s possible to still use the game save editor, just a tedious process. I’ll decribe the process below in a serious of steps. ALWAYS MAKE BACKUP COPY OF ORIGINAL FILE BEFORE PROCEEDING, IN CASE SOMETHING GOES WRONG!!!!

1) open parser and load internal save file with .bkr extension in “raw” format from Mednafen.
2) save file in “sh2” mode and rename file InternalBackupRam.bin
3) load internalbackupram file into save state editor, highlight game save you would like to edit and make desired changes.
4) this step is most important, when saving the modified file, make sure you save in memory card and NOT as hook backup. Overwrite the internalbackupram file that was previously converted when saving changes.
5) load modified internalbackupram file into parser in “sh2” mode. Then save in “raw” mode while overwriting the original.bkr file. The file name has to be the same as the original .bkr from Mednafen.
6) enjoy.

The reasoning behind all these steps is due to the differences in how the save files work in ssf and Mednafen. Ssf you can extract an individual game save file, while Mednafen you can only extract whole memory systems (ie internal memory or external memory card).
bukshot420

User avatar
Member
Member
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Jun 30 2009 7:58pm

Re: New Saturn Emulator - Mednafen

Postby Lord Kane » Sun Oct 07 2018 5:32pm

bukshot420 wrote:
loveshining wrote:
1) open parser and load internal save file with .bkr extension in “raw” format from Mednafen.
2) save file in “sh2” mode and rename file InternalBackupRam.bin
3) load internalbackupram file into save state editor, highlight game save you would like to edit and make desired changes.
4) this step is most important, when saving the modified file, make sure you save in memory card and NOT as hook backup. Overwrite the internalbackupram file that was previously converted when saving changes.
5) load modified internalbackupram file into parser in “sh2” mode. Then save in “raw” mode while overwriting the original.bkr file. The file name has to be the same as the original .bkr from Mednafen.
6) enjoy.



Can you, bukshot420, or anybody else tell me, what exactly is meant by "parser", please? I'm really eager to use the editor on my mednafen savefile! ;)
Lord Kane

User avatar
Shining Member
Shining Member
 
Posts: 374
Joined: Sun Mar 09 2008 10:46am
Location: Berlin, Germany

Re: New Saturn Emulator - Mednafen

Postby Swalchy » Sun Oct 07 2018 6:57pm

Lord Kane wrote:what exactly is meant by "parser", please?


https://github.com/hitomi2500/ss-save-parser/releases/tag/0.9.5

Refer to "parser" in link above :)
The Way To Yahuweh
Dead Sea Scroll Images
Latest Update Post


Salibu: 20/08/10 wrote:You have all been Swalched.


Damn I've been here a long f*cking time...
The Way To Yahuweh
Dead Sea Scroll Images
Latest Update Post


Salibu: 20/08/10 wrote:You have all been Swalched.


Damn I've been here a long f*cking time...
Swalchy

User avatar
Shining Legend
Shining Legend
 
Posts: 10374
Joined: Thu Sep 16 2004 5:16pm

PreviousNext

Return to Shining Force III

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest