Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force III
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Finished Disc 3 for the first time [Spoilers Inside]

Story/Ending Analysis

Incorporating Scenarios 1, 2, 3 and the Premium Disc, all in one handy board!

Finished Disc 3 for the first time [Spoilers Inside]

Postby Musashi » Wed Jun 29 2016 8:24pm

I'll start with an obvious SPOILER ALERT; this involves discussion of the Scen 3 ending and many big reveals from along the way.

WARNING: SPOILER!

I'm Musashi; I hope this has been a good read.
Musashi

Re: Finished Disc 3 for the first time

Postby Cullsoft » Thu Jun 30 2016 8:02pm

On the subject of Galm:
----- Culley's Shop RPG Trading Post & Figurine Emporium -----
- Warrior Pride, Dynamite & other items for sale
- Various figures for trading
- Seeking Grace, Alef and May figurines, also Power Waters, Lucky Cookies and rare goods
Click here for trading rates & more information
----- Culley's Shop RPG Trading Post & Figurine Emporium -----
- Warrior Pride, Dynamite & other items for sale
- Various figures for trading
- Seeking Grace, Alef and May figurines, also Power Waters, Lucky Cookies and rare goods
Click here for trading rates & more information
Cullsoft

Shining Furce
Shining Legend

Re: Finished Disc 3 for the first time [Spoilers Inside]

Postby knight0fdragon » Thu Jun 30 2016 8:43pm

There, changed the title, now we do not have to flag everything as spoilers lol
knight0fdragon

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Cybel » Sun Jul 03 2016 12:36pm

As great as it was to play as Synbios and Medion again, I agree that I'd have loved to see more with them in the final battle. I thought it would have worked well if Bulzome had a Dark Dragon thing going on where each force had to take on a head.

I thought the Rainbloods worked well although I agree I'd like to have seen them together.

The biggest thing that seemed to have been sacrificed for development time was the chance to visit Destonia. I always assumed that we'd be able to walk the city like we could Aspia and there are still characters like Mageron and particularly Steel who seemed positioned as foes for future episodes. I had mixed feelings about Domaric's ending; on the one hand, it was nice to have a less clear-cut happy resolution than normal. On the other hand, given how powerful Synbios and Medion had become, you have to assume that Domaric wouldn't be able to continue as he had and it would have been nice to see that confrontation wrapped into the game.

As for future games, although Galm had obviously been set up as a major player, I find it difficult to imagine that a sequel would be centred around a character who had so much continuity baggage. If he returned and was a flat-out villain, it would slightly undermine the nice ambiguity of the earlier stories. If he returned and wasn't, it would feel repetitive. So I tend to think that a sequel would have moved beyond the Vandal/Innovator storyline (especially since it would have to be on a new system) - indeed, I guess we would have had something quite close to "Golden Sun" ("Shining Sun"?). On the other hand, there's a large unanswered question about the origin of the spirits as they seem to have a sci-fi element and that would be interesting to see explored.

I also wonder how a Shining Force IV would have developed/topped the synchronicity system. I guess it's most likely it would have gone back to being a single game but with a more expansive reach. I guess the Dreamcast had the potential for online play but I'm not quite sure how that would work.
Cybel

Postby Sinful Force » Sat Jul 16 2016 5:27pm

While playing and replaying Sc1 then 2, I had all these ideas of what could be in Sc2 and 3. Wish I wrote all these down. One of them was something about what was said during Yasha's encounter cut scene in Sc2 Cave where he's ordered to strike that guy down. Something Domaric said there sparked my imagination about the Rainsbloods and how I thought they had a plan for Julian in Destonia or something.
Sinful Force

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Musashi » Tue Jul 19 2016 6:16pm

Cullsoft wrote:On the subject of Galm:

That is still entirely possible. I think a case could be made that Galm hoped the falls of Panzer and Bulzome would prevent any further wars from Vandals.

Cybel wrote:As for future games, although Galm had obviously been set up as a major player, I find it difficult to imagine that a sequel would be centred around a character who had so much continuity baggage. If he returned and was a flat-out villain, it would slightly undermine the nice ambiguity of the earlier stories. If he returned and wasn't, it would feel repetitive.

I can understand not wanting a radical departure of apparent character, but there are stories where a character's ambiguity is a farce covering up true intentions not revealed until later.

I guess I like to think of every work of fiction as a universe/timeline where all kinds of things beyond the main story.

Cybel wrote:As great as it was to play as Synbios and Medion again, I agree that I'd have loved to see more with them in the final battle. I thought it would have worked well if Bulzome had a Dark Dragon thing going on where each force had to take on a head.

I thought the Rainbloods worked well although I agree I'd like to have seen them together.

The biggest thing that seemed to have been sacrificed for development time was the chance to visit Destonia. I always assumed that we'd be able to walk the city like we could Aspia and there are still characters like Mageron and particularly Steel who seemed positioned as foes for future episodes. I had mixed feelings about Domaric's ending; on the one hand, it was nice to have a less clear-cut happy resolution than normal. On the other hand, given how powerful Synbios and Medion had become, you have to assume that Domaric wouldn't be able to continue as he had and it would have been nice to see that confrontation wrapped into the game.

Sinful Force wrote:Something Domaric said there sparked my imagination about the Rainsbloods and how I thought they had a plan for Julian in Destonia or something.

Yea from the looks of it, Domaric lacked any other usable resources since the Rainbloods were defeated. Of course, there could always have been yet another secret that never came up during the game.

I remember hearing that several story elements had to be skipped due to a time crunch during development. Its entirely possible these could have included battles against Steele, Mageron, all 6 Rainbloods, or others. I'm actually interested in coming up with fan theory about the Rainbloods as having identities under their masks.
Musashi

Postby Hattari » Thu Aug 04 2016 10:08am

Musashi wrote:I remember hearing that several story elements had to be skipped due to a time crunch during development. Its entirely possible these could have included battles against Steele, Mageron, all 6 Rainbloods, or others. I'm actually interested in coming up with fan theory about the Rainbloods as having identities under their masks.

I'd be interested in reading that. While it adds to their mystique and was probably the best decision in the end, I remember being a little disappointed the first time I finished scenario 3 that the Rainbloods never got unmasked. Were they human, demon, or something else altogether? Guess we'll never know.

(Also would've loved to have had the chance to fight all 6 at one time with Julian's force, with their full HP)
My Shining Force 3 Guide (No commentary)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Let's rePlay Dragon Force 2 (Izumo)
Let's Walkthru Langrisser 2!
My Shining Force 3 Guide (No commentary)
Let's rePlay Dragon Force 2 (Izumo)
Let's Walkthru Langrisser 2!
Hattari

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby thepeaguy » Fri Oct 21 2016 7:22pm

While Galm has no apparent desire of world conquest, just a desire to understand the Creator's intentions, he is a vicious bastard. I think he's the cruelest of his kind. Even Basanda was shit scared of his power, as it overpowers her god, Bulzome's.

If you have to use your biological son as fodder to manipulate the spirit hosts to your design, you are one low-down, dirty f*cker - but I like that about him. It's a shame his character wasn't further explored.
thepeaguy

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby rid1ey » Sat Mar 18 2017 8:37am

quick question!

i'm at remotest just started final chapter...

which of the ensuing battles will i have to repeat if i cast egress at the bulzome (final) battle?
Xbox 360 Gamertag: rid1ey
3DS Friend Code: 1736-1423-5797
Switch Friend code: SW-6146-8724-6311
rid1ey

Postby Chinagonuk » Sat Mar 18 2017 12:03pm

I believe you will have to fight all 3 battles again from the start.
Chinagonuk

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby rid1ey » Sat Mar 18 2017 1:22pm

thanks Chinagonuk