Shining Force III: Shining Force 3 / STHA Hack

Incorporating Scenarios 1, 2, 3 and the Premium Disc, all in one handy board!

Moderator: Shining Moderators

paul_met

Re: Shining Force 3 / STHA Hack

Post by paul_met »

knight0fdragon wrote:It seems ImgBurn and create symbolic link files with an optimize option when creating ISOs, I do not know how you create the ISO, but maybe you can use that to your advantage
I did not find the necessary option for this in Imgburn settings. But something like that I think I've seen in UltraISO.
---------------------------
I think I solved the strange problem with the emulator SSF. At least now the game does not crash after the first match. And now there is no need for a separate patch for SSF.
knight0fdragon
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by knight0fdragon »

Do you use ultra ISO to make your images? If not what are you using? Right now we have an issue with how ISO's are built in the newest version of windows 10 and the little front end I made to make the translation discs. I currently use mkisofs to make the ISOs because we need a free distributed solution for people to use to make ISOs, if you have an alternative that is free and distributable that I can use, I may make a new program for them to use.
paul_met

Post by paul_met »

knight0fdragon wrote:Do you use ultra ISO to make your images? If not what are you using? Right now we have an issue with how ISO's are built in the newest version of windows 10 and the little front end I made to make the translation discs. I currently use mkisofs to make the ISOs because we need a free distributed solution for people to use to make ISOs, if you have an alternative that is free and distributable that I can use, I may make a new program for them to use.
I am using mkisofs library too, but with my custom GUI called SIR (Saturn Image Rebuilder). UltraISO has been used after the image was created.

-Mod Edit 2021-
Large image attachment removed due to low storage space.
-- Swalchy
knight0fdragon
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by knight0fdragon »

do you have issues with the latest windows 10?
paul_met

Post by paul_met »

knight0fdragon wrote:do you have issues with the latest windows 10?
What exactly is these issues?
knight0fdragon
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by knight0fdragon »

well I did not build the library into my app, I am just going off the executable, but for some reason, it seems to just crash. If you look here http://forums.shiningforcecentral.com/v ... 34&t=26590" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, you can see what the users are posting
paul_met

Post by paul_met »

knight0fdragon wrote:well I did not build the library into my app, I am just going off the executable, but for some reason, it seems to just crash. If you look here http://forums.shiningforcecentral.com/v ... 34&t=26590" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, you can see what the users are posting
I have no problems with Isomaker under Win10 X64.
------------------------------------------
Added patch for Shining Force III - Scenario 1: http://www.emu-land.net/forum/index.php ... msg1157450
Last edited by paul_met on Thu Feb 04 2016 2:18pm, edited 1 time in total.
Swalchy
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by Swalchy »

The issues only started to present in Build 10586 - if you're using any previous build, then it works fine :)
Salibu: 20/08/10 wrote:You have all been Swalched.
Damn I've been here a long f*cking time...

Mensa Member
IQ 137
Not bragging; just making you dumb-asses aware. :evilgrin:
paul_met

Post by paul_met »

Now patches for all scenarios of Shining Force 3 is available for download: http://www.emu-land.net/forum/index.php ... msg1157450
knight0fdragon
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by knight0fdragon »

Paul met, I am a little confused here, how is the resolution 352x240, with the black bars removed? I thought you were adding to the vertical, but it seems you are only making it wide screen at a weird aspect ratio (22x15)

Hmm, I think I see what is happening, the old resolution is probably something like 320x216 after the black bars, and you are giving the video and extra 32x24 pixel (to meet the 4:3 requirements.) and that makes it 352x240.

The only thing I would be worried about is the overscan. I like playing my classics on a CRT, so I wonder how this will work with my TV's overscan
paul_met

Post by paul_met »

knight0fdragon wrote: Hmm, I think I see what is happening, the old resolution is probably something like 320x216 after the black bars, and you are giving the video and extra 32x24 pixel (to meet the 4:3 requirements.) and that makes it 352x240.
The native resolution of SFIII is 320x240. But with the black bars viewing area is 320x224 (in battle mode even less).
I not only removed the black bars. I increased horizontal resolution, which in VDP specifications can be up to 352 pixels horizontally.
knight0fdragon wrote: The only thing I would be worried about is the overscan. I like playing my classics on a CRT, so I wonder how this will work with my TV's overscan
It will works as the rest of the games for Saturn with 352 pixel by horizontal (for example, almost all the games from Capcom).
knight0fdragon
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by knight0fdragon »

I am just more curious if the text will get cut off from the top and bottom of the scene, I know with XMen CotA the life meter is almost right up against the edges of my TV, so I can see the same thing happening to this. After I finish up the new tools I will try out this and let you know if overscan is a problem. This way if anybody asks on your post, you will have an answer for them,
legalize freedom
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by legalize freedom »

paul_met wrote:Now patches for all scenarios of Shining Force 3 is available for download: http://www.emu-land.net/forum/index.php ... msg1157450
Successfully tested S2 in SSF and this can indeed be included with the SF3 translation patch.

I'm wondering if there is any reason this shouldn't be the default. If it works on SSF, Yabause and the real hardware, I don't see why not. Are there any drawbacks or tradeoffs?
knight0fdragon
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by knight0fdragon »

I already mentioned one lol
legalize freedom
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

knight0fdragon wrote:I already mentioned one lol
Yes, I'm obviously interested to hear what you find.
knight0fdragon
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by knight0fdragon »

Well either way it should't be included by default because of overscan on TVs vary greatly. My 50" LCD uses overscan and has a bug that does not allow for it to be turned off, but perhaps paul_met will be kind enough to make a new version of ISO maker for us, or provide the source to his builder, and we can make it an option to the end user to decide
legalize freedom
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

knight0fdragon wrote:Well either way it should't be included by default because of overscan on TVs vary greatly. My 50" LCD uses overscan and has a bug that does not allow for it to be turned off, but perhaps paul_met will be kind enough to make a new version of ISO maker for us, or provide the source to his builder, and we can make it an option to the end user to decide
It could be as simple as just providing the files outside of the s1, s2, etc. directories and a couple of lines of instructions for the end user to put them in the related folders to be included in the patching process.

But yes, a new patcher could provide a check box to include or not. That would be sweet :spliff:
knight0fdragon
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by knight0fdragon »

paul_met, I am just writing a new front end since I am now motivated, with your permission, I would like to add the option for your patches when done.

legalize_freedom, I am adding an autoscan feature, should no longer need to select version
Special T
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Special T »

paul_met wrote:Now patches for all scenarios of Shining Force 3 is available for download: http://www.emu-land.net/forum/index.php ... msg1157450
Quick question regarding the progress percent of each patch you released. The Shining Force III scenarios are at 90% does the patch have bugs or is there something still left to do?
paul_met

Post by paul_met »

knight0fdragon wrote:paul_met, I am just writing a new front end since I am now motivated, with your permission, I would like to add the option for your patches when done.
Ok. It will be nice.
Special T wrote:Quick question regarding the progress percent of each patch you released. The Shining Force III scenarios are at 90% does the patch have bugs or is there something still left to do?
I can not test my hack by 100%. To do this, I need to fully complete the game. I have no time for this. For this reason, I write the approximate percentages, because somewhere may appear bugs.