Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force III
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Difficulty Levels Question

- Selecting Difficulty for the Games -

Incorporating Scenarios 1, 2, 3 and the Premium Disc, all in one handy board!

Re: Difficulty Levels Question

Postby Sinful Force » Sat Oct 09 2010 9:34am

What you mean by pointless to go back? Back to other, less harder, difficulty levels? And is this for SF2 or 3?

If so, for SF3, the suggestion I have is trying one of the middle difficulties with certain handicaps. Like whenever I play Insane difficulty, I only train in one weapon. But if I play any other difficulties, I may train two weapon (except for last few that join the force. Not enough time with no returns. And I still have to finish a few in the Hero's Test). And that in turn kinda makes up for the weaker defense enemies have.

You can also avoid Mithril weapon use (I have yet to try this for both SF2 or 3).

Even so, I probably can never see myself playing the "Normal" difficulty again? At least I haven't thought of enough good handicaps I'd rather play with? And I can never see myself doing a one character solo, as I can't see myself having any fun/understand the fun in it... But who knows, maybe one day I will? (Never say never :lol:)
From what I remember about reading Moogie's forum guideline awhile ago, it says that by adding the letters j/k together at the end of a sentence or post, it prevents people from getting upset... So remember South Parkateers, in case of a volcano, stop, drop, tuck and roll. ... Oh wait, er, you know what I mean. ;)
From what I remember about reading Moogie's forum guideline awhile ago, it says that by adding the letters j/k together at the end of a sentence or post, it prevents people from getting upset... So remember South Parkateers, in case of a volcano, stop, drop, tuck and roll. ... Oh wait, er, you know what I mean. ;)
Sinful Force

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Irene Guy » Mon Oct 11 2010 2:31pm

Zzasikar @ Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:21 am) wrote: Thank you so much for posting this. I really wanted to play through the games on Insane but my Saturn's long dead and I haven't played them on an emulator before.

Those codes I sent before work ONLY for scen 1.

BI sent me another one for scen 2...

Same deal as before, replace the XX with 00 for Normal, 10 for Hard, 20 for Difficult and 30 for Insane.

CODE (scen 2)

36030643 00XX
Irene Guy

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Zzasikar » Mon Oct 11 2010 3:18pm

Awesome, thank you. Does anyone know if there's a similar code for Scenario 3? Or does the New Game+ type option replace the regular difficulty modes in that one?
Zzasikar

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby BoneIdol » Mon Oct 11 2010 3:24pm

Zzasikar @ Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:18 pm) wrote:Awesome, thank you.  Does anyone know if there's a similar code for Scenario 3?  Or does the New Game+ type option replace the regular difficulty modes in that one?

I'm gonna work it out tonight after I do some stuff. I would have sent it along with the scenario 2 code but I don't have a complete scenario 3 save handy (so I have to replay through the last battle and go through all the ending again :().

I'm also gonna check to see if its possible to do it with the Premium Disc. ;)

Oh, and sorry I never posted these. It honestly never occurred to me, because it takes about 2 minutes to work out these codes with Yabause. :blush:
BoneIdol

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Zzasikar » Mon Oct 11 2010 3:57pm

Thanks for all your hard work BoneIdol.

I've seen the huge amount of effort you've put in on so many different things on these boards.
Zzasikar

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby BoneIdol » Mon Oct 11 2010 7:48pm

Right, finally got around to sorting out Scenario 3. God, Scenario 3's ending takes forever... I watched a full episode of QI whilst mashing the C button (and occasionally checking for the bit where you get to talk to everyone) and it still wasn't done. :(

Anyway, Scenario 3's Action Replay Code for difficulty:
CODE
36030FC3 00XX

Same deal as before with the XX; 00 = Normal, 10 = Hard, 20 = Difficult, 30 = Insane.
BoneIdol

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Zzasikar » Mon Oct 11 2010 9:53pm

Thanks boss. You're a legend.
Zzasikar

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Sinful Force » Mon Oct 11 2010 10:59pm

BoneIdol. Should of PM'ed me about the complete save files. I always keep one of them per Scenario, or hack one ASAP since I always need 'em in my playthroughs.

But at least this way I get to hear if any dialog were inserted where I badly want it inserted. ;)

Plus, isn't there a faster way of getting them (complete game save) for one Scenario? Something like getting you right to the spot where it asks you to save again at the very end? Or am I just imaginating this?
Sinful Force

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Pliktra797 » Mon Nov 15 2010 5:13pm

Probably a stupid question. But I just beat scenario 1 a few minutes ago for the second time getting every little detail done with a walkthrough. Appx 32 hours.

I'm not exactly sure how to change the difficulty now! There's something about an options screen... somewhere....?
If you are one of the 141% who think arbitrary statistics are BS, copy and paste this into your signature.
If you are one of the 141% who think arbitrary statistics are BS, copy and paste this into your signature.
Pliktra797

Postby BoneIdol » Mon Nov 15 2010 5:33pm

Press start. ;)

You'll see an options screen letting you do stuff like change the text speed, the window colour, whether or not to play the voices... and if you've just completed the game a difficulty setting slider at the bottom.

Changes to the difficulty setting only actually take effect in the next battle, btw.

Also, if you've completed the game, you can press down again after the difficulty settings bit to access the sound test.
BoneIdol

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Pliktra797 » Mon Nov 15 2010 5:41pm

ahhhh ok! Thanks! I wouldn't have seen that!
Pliktra797

Postby wshiraef » Sat Feb 23 2013 9:37pm

Irene Guy wrote:
Zzasikar @ Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:21 am) wrote: Thank you so much for posting this. I really wanted to play through the games on Insane but my Saturn's long dead and I haven't played them on an emulator before.

Those codes I sent before work ONLY for scen 1.

BI sent me another one for scen 2...

Same deal as before, replace the XX with 00 for Normal, 10 for Hard, 20 for Difficult and 30 for Insane.

CODE (scen 2)

36030643 00XX

I have been struggling to find a way to continue to Scenario 2 on Hard on the Saturn. I was able to use the code: 3602F413 00XX with the master code F6000924 FFFF for Scenario 1 on my action replay plus. Now I am trying to change the difficulty for Scenario 2 using the code up above with no success. What master code do I need to use for Scenario 2? I am using F6000924 FFFF B6002800 0000.

I just successfully changed the difficulty on Scenario 3 using 36030FC3 00XX and the same master code as scenario 1: F6000924 FFFF.

The only two things I can think of why Scenario two isn't working is if these aren't the right codes, or the translation caused the code not to work. I have not tried to see if the code works on an emulator yet.
wshiraef

Postby Pappets » Sat Mar 09 2013 8:49pm

I would like to know if anyone as noticed the A.I. acting different in the 4 difficuty levels. In scenario 1 i only noticed one difference in the A.I.'s behavior which is in the battle inside the cargo area at railroad. In insane mode, the nearest birdman to irene attacks her giving her the finishing blow, something that does not happen in normal.

In insane the enemies don't have 50% more attack, they have between 23% and 27%, in scenario 1 at least since is the one i'm checking with the help of the SFIII file editor. But if you give the enemy the next more powerful weapon then they will have 50% more attack compared to normal mode. I don't know about scenario 2 and 3.
Pappets

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Lord Kane » Sun Mar 10 2013 9:41am

In "insane" all enemies have a 50% attack boost on their base damage. So weapon wielders usually have overall damage boost < 50 %.

I don't have any evidence of a changing AI, but as you mentioned, the attack boost itsself often changes the AI moves. Because the AI calculates if it is possible to get a finishing blow. If so they will execute it, if not they will do nothing or attack someone else.

Best example for this is, when someone in your team is "?"-confused. If all your other Shining Members are at full health, he will most likely do nothing when it's his turn. But when there's a badly injured one, you can be quite sure, he will try to kill him.
Lord Kane

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby snake023 » Tue May 17 2016 9:52pm

Can someone give me a complete save file for scn 1? I want to start a new game on insane difficulty :thumbsup:
snake023

Postby Swalchy » Tue May 17 2016 11:05pm

The translation project FTP has saves of all battles, including a complete of Scenario 1 you can download :)

http://sf3transftp.shiningforcecentral. ... nario%201/
The Way To Yahuweh
Dead Sea Scroll Images
Latest Update Post

Salibu: 20/08/10 wrote:You have all been Swalched.

Damn I've been here a long f*cking time...
The Way To Yahuweh
Dead Sea Scroll Images
Latest Update Post

Salibu: 20/08/10 wrote:You have all been Swalched.

Damn I've been here a long f*cking time...
Swalchy

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby ShiningFan4Lyfe » Fri May 17 2019 8:08am

BoneIdol wrote:Right, finally got around to sorting out Scenario 3. God, Scenario 3's ending takes forever... I watched a full episode of QI whilst mashing the C button (and occasionally checking for the bit where you get to talk to everyone) and it still wasn't done. :(

Anyway, Scenario 3's Action Replay Code for difficulty:
CODE 36030FC3 00XX

Same deal as before with the XX; 00 = Normal, 10 = Hard, 20 = Difficult, 30 = Insane.

Is there a difficulty code for the PD? Or a way to play through the PD battles on Insane difficulty without a code...? I can't seem to find an answer for that anywhere...I'd appreciate if anyone could let me know or fill me in that knows with certainty.

Postby Rune » Fri May 17 2019 11:29am

I want to say the PD battles use the difficulty setting from the save file you use, but I have nothing to back up that claim.
Bury me with my money.
Bury me with my money.
Rune

Shut the feck up fatty.
Shining Legend

Postby Pappets » Sat May 18 2019 6:45am

Yes you can play the PD on any difficulty you want. I played it in insane mode years ago but I don't remember how I choosed it.
The vandals took over Sega but someday the innovators will come again and reclaim the throne!
It seems that little by little the innovators are coming back to Sega.
The vandals took over Sega but someday the innovators will come again and reclaim the throne!
It seems that little by little the innovators are coming back to Sega.
Pappets

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby thepeaguy » Sun Jul 14 2019 12:10pm

Is it even possible to recruit new allies from various battles on Insanity difficulty? I remember one particular battle where you have to rescue Irene to recruit her gave me a lot of trouble.

I don't know why, but I've been thinking about SFIII a lot lately. Sorry for the random question. Haha.
thepeaguy

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Shining Force III